CSNbbs
Tuition hikes coming again - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Tuition hikes coming again (/thread-636429.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tuition hikes coming again - KevMo4UAB - 06-12-2013 08:29 AM

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/06/further_tuition_hikes_on_the_a.html#incart_river_default

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - Smaug - 06-12-2013 08:42 AM

Damn! They raised it 8.5% just last year!

Little Smaug's degree is going to cost (conservatively) 3.5 times mine did.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - KevMo4UAB - 06-12-2013 10:15 AM

The BOT has an easy job. If the budget doesn't balance, raise tuition rates. Local, state, and federal governments have a much more difficult time balancing their budgets. Can't raise taxes or there would be protests in the streets. So they have to cut jobs and services, or just spiral into the financial abyss the federal governments finds itself.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - DragonClaw - 06-12-2013 10:21 AM

...just not right on so many levels.

04-jawdrop

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - Pavy78 - 06-12-2013 11:20 AM

Perfect timing with the increase in Federal student loan rates...03-banghead05-mafia05-nono

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 06-12-2013 11:23 AM

What part of "Alabama leads the nation" in slashing almost $1400 from its already low "per pupil public school funding" - 2008 through 2012 did you think UAB was immune to? ALL public schools - K through grad schools - are funded from the SETF and that "pie" has been downsized for 4 consecutive annual state fiscal budgets (during which the two state BCS universities invested about $170,000 PER ATHLETE over those same 4 years to win almost a dozen NCAA national championships in a variety of sports). As always seems true, you get "out" according to what you invest "in".

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - WesternBlazer - 06-13-2013 04:08 PM

UAB proposes to increase tuition by 6 percent
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2013/06/13/uab-proposes-to-increase-tuition-by-6.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 06-13-2013 04:52 PM

(06-13-2013 04:08 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  UAB proposes to increase tuition by 6 percent
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2013/06/13/uab-proposes-to-increase-tuition-by-6.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

6% this year is how many % over the past decade? And next year and the year after that? Even Young Boozer can't promise to remove the sting of tuition costs (and don't forget the various other "fees") down the road a few years.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - KevMo4UAB - 06-13-2013 05:30 PM

It's going to be next to impossible to afford college. I'm glad my children have graduated already. But how much will it cost when my 22-month-old grandson is ready to attend?

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - BlazerFire - 06-13-2013 10:05 PM

Does anyone know if UAB has made efforts to curtail non-essential expenses?

I read where Troy is matching cuts to their increase.

Is UAB only raising and not making any cuts?

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - demiveeman - 06-13-2013 10:28 PM

(06-13-2013 05:30 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  It's going to be next to impossible to afford college. I'm glad my children have graduated already. But how much will it cost when my 22-month-old grandson is ready to attend?

Good. I hope the whole damn thing crashes down into the ground.

Education is not even close to what it was designed to be now. A lot of kids just go to college because it is what they are "supposed" to do and to get a job.

That's not the point of college education. The point is to learn.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - LairDweller - 06-13-2013 10:39 PM

(06-13-2013 10:28 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(06-13-2013 05:30 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  It's going to be next to impossible to afford college. I'm glad my children have graduated already. But how much will it cost when my 22-month-old grandson is ready to attend?

Education is not even close to what it was designed to be now. A lot of kids just go to college because it is what they are "supposed" to do and to get a job.

So...if there was no degree (and no sort of tangible bragging rights that would increase your chance if getting a job), would you have gone to college?

Anybody can go to the library and learn for free...

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - BlazerFromMD - 06-14-2013 07:06 AM

Out of state tuition at UAB will still remain cheaper than in-state tuition at U. Maryland.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - KevMo4UAB - 06-14-2013 07:14 AM

(06-14-2013 07:06 AM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  Out of state tuition at UAB will still remain cheaper than in-state tuition at U. Maryland.

Wow!

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - demiveeman - 06-14-2013 08:45 AM

(06-13-2013 10:39 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  

So...if there was no degree (and no sort of tangible bragging rights that would increase your chance if getting a job), would you have gone to college?

If it wasn't that it was presented to me as a near requirement to get a job, I would have not attended college. Trade schools and apprenticeships are far more effective for that.

I have a great job and no degree because I worked and learned on my own. Will I ever go back and finish? Probably...but it's certainly not very tempting right now.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - KevMo4UAB - 06-14-2013 09:08 AM

(06-14-2013 08:45 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(06-13-2013 10:39 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  

If it wasn't that it was presented to me as a near requirement to get a job, I would have not attended college. Trade schools and apprenticeships are far more effective for that.

I have a great job and no degree because I worked and learned on my own. Will I ever go back and finish? Probably...but it's certainly not very tempting right now.

I hear you loud and clear, but you need to get that degree. You will eventually regret it if you don't. I hear that from so many people. They come up short by a semester or a couple of courses, and never finish. They regret it for the rest of their lives. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just sharing what I have heard from others.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - demiveeman - 06-14-2013 09:14 AM

(06-14-2013 09:08 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  They regret it for the rest of their lives.

My current job title and salary say otherwise.

Not everybody needs a degree to be successful and it's a complete joke that everybody thinks that is the case.

For people that will work and push themselves to get ahead, the need for a degree is just another obstacle to beat.

I've actually fared better than a lot of the people who were in my (should have been) graduating class who have degrees.

If I go back to school, it won't be to enhance my career or anything of that nature. It will be for personal accomplishment. Right now, it's too expensive for that.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - KevMo4UAB - 06-14-2013 09:33 AM

(06-14-2013 09:14 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(06-14-2013 09:08 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  They regret it for the rest of their lives.

My current job title and salary say otherwise.

Not everybody needs a degree to be successful and it's a complete joke that everybody thinks that is the case.

For people that will work and push themselves to get ahead, the need for a degree is just another obstacle to beat.

I've actually fared better than a lot of the people who were in my (should have been) graduating class who have degrees.

If I go back to school, it won't be to enhance my career or anything of that nature. It will be for personal accomplishment. Right now, it's too expensive for that.

Fair enough. Everybody is different. I'm glad things are going well for you. I was just passing along information I have heard from others over the years. My degree served me well.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - randy22263 - 06-14-2013 01:46 PM

(06-12-2013 08:42 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Damn! They raised it 8.5% just last year!

Little Smaug's degree is going to cost (conservatively) 3.5 times mine did.

And unfortunately be worth 3.5 times less.

RE: Tuition hikes coming again - BlazerGrad88 - 06-14-2013 01:49 PM

Back on the thread topic, I heard a report on WBHM this morning about the tuition increases that referred to UA as the "main campus" of the three-school system. I don't believe that's factually correct anymore. It's ironic that this phrase would be used on WBHM, which is part of UAB.