CSNbbs
Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal (/thread-636404.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - BamaScorpio69 - 06-11-2013 06:45 PM

Who do you think will get the contract?
What will it be worth?

Three years is a long time away and many variables will be in play. But just take your best guess and try to be realistic in your responses.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - shere khan - 06-11-2013 06:54 PM

this will end well

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - Side Show Joe - 06-11-2013 06:54 PM

I don't know who gets it, but I think NBC Sports will be very hungry for more college football content.

In the end, I think as a conference, what we put on the field, in the stands, and the number of people that tune in to watch, will decide the size of our next contract. Two of those three are in our hands.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - Blue_Trombone - 06-11-2013 06:55 PM

Depends on our successes and failures over the next few years.

Good Success - Around the same.
Failures - Less.
Great Success - Probably more.

Now, we wait.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - RUNVSFD MINER - 06-11-2013 06:56 PM

Depends on how ODU, Charlotte, UTSA, and one or two others do. If their following picks up steam, so will the contract. But it won't differ much from the yAAC.... As it does now.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - BamaScorpio69 - 06-11-2013 07:13 PM

(06-11-2013 06:54 PM)shere khan Wrote:  this will end well

It will be fine as long as the thread isn't hijacked.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - goodknightfl - 06-11-2013 07:14 PM

I would expect there is a 75% chance it stays with same carriers as now. As for $$, 1 to 1.5 mil per school. No great gain or loss in revenue.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - techdawg88 - 06-11-2013 07:15 PM

I hope Fox Sports 1 works out well for CUSA

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - b0ndsj0ns - 06-11-2013 08:00 PM

I'd guess probably around the same total revenue per year, which is I believe 14 million a year. Could end up being slightly more or slightly less but I don't see a lot of wild variance either direction.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - blazerwkr - 06-11-2013 08:06 PM

As others have said no big changes for the forseeable future but if the new CUSA becomes stronger/more dominant in the 2 main sports, then we'll start to see some gains from open bidding wars. If we stay away from BC$ECPN all the better

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - ThreeifbyLightning - 06-11-2013 08:12 PM

This is really a tough one to tame right now. We're kind of stuck in middle of emerging technologies and - as such - I'm in agreement a lot of this does depend on how we perform as a league over the next few years , but I think we stand to benefit just as much from the competition that's going to blow up over this same time frame. This plays into my earlier judgments a couple of months ago that the AAC signed too long of a deal.

By the time we get to three years from now and Fox 1 and NBC Sports Network are fully established they're going to be hungry for live sports particularly football and every other league will be locked up for a lot of years in some cases. We stand to benefit from that particularly if we perform as a league. Even if we struggle it's difficult to imagine this next deal being less simply due to the competition and desire for live football.

The future trends; however, are going to change drastically in the next five to 10 years. Leagues are starting their own networks that are largely going to become online productions in the future and if some get their way and relegate us by creating a new subdivision will certainly have an effect. So, to sum it up too many variables, but I think the deal will be in our favor if for no other reason than the timing of when it comes up for negotiation.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - KnightLight - 06-12-2013 07:48 AM

Just like CUSA did with their last TV contract (CUSA "doubled" their TV $$$ rights when they switched from ESPN to signed with CBS Sports/FOX back in 2011), the next TV contract for CUSA will only go up again....as the value of LIVE sporting events, regardless who is playing...will still have some value to advertisers.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - Matrix - 06-12-2013 07:49 AM

(06-11-2013 07:15 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  I hope Fox Sports 1 works out well for CUSA

That's who I was thinking about as well, "T-Dawg"...

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - MUsince96 - 06-12-2013 08:12 AM

In three years I'd expect Fox Sports 2 to be off the ground and in a lot of homes as well. Fox Sports GO! is also an attractive option with Fox.

The only way I see us leaving Fox is if NBC offers double the national broadcasts.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - _sturt_ - 06-12-2013 03:01 PM

[Image: 9026563187_24b7b84e78_z.jpg]

I offend the Tariq Aziz crowd here... which appears to be quite a few... but logic just says that when you take off the top of CUSA most of the brand-name big-market schools, and they end up in a new league with essentially the same amount of TV money that they had gotten previously...

And then, when you replace those with schools whose TV contract, by even the most optimistic report, had them at one half of CUSA's last contract... and more likely appears to be 1/16th or even 1/30th of it...

You're just delusional... Tariq-Aziz-kind-of-delusional... to pretend that there's any rationale for anticipating us keeping up with what we've had.

Of course, for my Herd and the other leftovers, we at least have the benefit of a contractual obligation on the part of the defectors that they'll have to make-up for that difference...

But this nonsense about the competition driving up the price?... can't pay out to our conference what advertisers won't be willing to spend on advertising... a lesson learned all-too-well by the AAC guys who attracted Boise on the chance that Comcast and others at the bargaining table would fetch big numbers, and who saw Boise draw back once it became clear that those rosy scenarios were fatally flawed.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - WinOrLoseEAGLE - 06-12-2013 03:04 PM

(06-11-2013 06:55 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Depends on our successes and failures over the next few years.

Good Success - Around the same.
Failures - Less.
Great Success - Probably more.

Now, we wait.

Nostradamus are you?

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - DaSaintFan - 06-12-2013 04:49 PM

(06-11-2013 08:00 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I'd guess probably around the same total revenue per year, which is I believe 14 million a year. Could end up being slightly more or slightly less but I don't see a lot of wild variance either direction.

I'd wager about the same, plus the usual "cost of living" adjustment... so if we're at 14m now... I'd say ... maybe 18?

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - monarchman - 06-12-2013 05:10 PM

(06-11-2013 06:54 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I don't know who gets it, but I think NBC Sports will be very hungry for more college football content.

I wouldn't be surprised if NBC tried to get in on some content. If they're on the market for more college content, I think CUSA could benefit.

But as others have said, I think the most reasonable answer is likely about the same, with a good chance it increases marginally.

With that said, if football and basketball come roaring out the gate and schools have strong attendance we could very well end up with a lot of improvement in our future contract.

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - SoonerFan123 - 06-12-2013 05:14 PM

I think the future financial health of CUSA is dependent on USM returning to form,La Tech gaining steam and for the newbies in the large markets being atleast "interesting" and not god awful.

If CUSA has some success over the next three years I don't see it going down. 14 team league means a lot of inventory for someone. However if CUSA just rolls over and plays dead like last year over the next three years I could see some bad times ahead

RE: Down the road - CUSA Future TV Deal - panama - 06-12-2013 05:19 PM

(06-11-2013 06:54 PM)shere khan Wrote:  this will end well

Has anyone mentioned markets yet...

[Image: lutherisgone.gif]