CSNbbs
Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH (/thread-636309.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Burpelson - 06-11-2013 09:17 AM

Apparently UH could play one of the there games at Rice, but Rice AD is not allowing UH to use the Locker Rooms therefore forcing the possibility of UH using tents as locker rooms. I think UH will look to Minute Maid, therefore Rice could be giving up $100K in revenue due to locker rooms!01-wingedeagle

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-11-2013 09:32 AM

(06-11-2013 09:17 AM)Burpelson Wrote:  Apparently UH could play one of the there games at Rice, but Rice AD is not allowing UH to use the Locker Rooms therefore forcing the possibility of UH using tents as locker rooms. I think UH will look to Minute Maid, therefore Rice could be giving up $100K in revenue due to locker rooms!01-wingedeagle

If true, just one more line item on a long list of stupid decisions. It can't really be true, can it?

Actually I can think of one valid reason. If the UH staff got into the locker rooms and saw the deplorable condition, that's just one more thing to use against Rice in recruiting.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Antarius - 06-11-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:Actually I can think of one valid reason. If the UH staff got into the locker rooms and saw the deplorable condition, that's just one more thing to use against Rice in recruiting.

Our locker rooms are a disaster, so this may very well be the issue.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Burpelson - 06-11-2013 09:41 AM

I think UH would much rather have the team inside a locker room than sitting outside in tents, it would be a huge cost to set up a working locker room, plus it just looks bush league.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Barrett - 06-11-2013 09:45 AM

Yes, I agree with Burpelson that it looks incredibly bush league if our locker rooms are so bad that UH has to use tents. If I were UH, I'd even spin it as, "We'd rather use tents than use those sorry excuse for locker rooms at Rice Stadium."

Honestly, Rice, if you're going to treat HRS that poorly, just raze the whole thing to add more parking or a Quizno's or whatever, and be done with it.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Antarius - 06-11-2013 09:48 AM

(06-11-2013 09:41 AM)Burpelson Wrote:  I think UH would much rather have the team inside a locker room than sitting outside in tents, it would be a huge cost to set up a working locker room, plus it just looks bush league.

HRS is bush league nowadays. The largest attendance at HRS in the last 5 years was Katy vs Pearland in the High school playoffs.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - d1owls4life - 06-11-2013 09:59 AM

(06-11-2013 09:48 AM)Antarius Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 09:41 AM)Burpelson Wrote:  I think UH would much rather have the team inside a locker room than sitting outside in tents, it would be a huge cost to set up a working locker room, plus it just looks bush league.

HRS is bush league nowadays. The largest attendance at HRS in the last 5 years was Katy vs Pearland in the High school playoffs.

Not sure what the largest attendance has to do with it being bush league. I agree it has been neglected and we have many people to thank for that.

I really would like someone to verify this story about the locker rooms before we go spreading it as gospel.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Da.Owl - 06-11-2013 10:06 AM

(06-11-2013 09:59 AM)d1owls4life Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 09:48 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

Not sure what the largest attendance has to do with it being bush league. I agree it has been neglected and we have many people to thank for that.

I really would like someone to verify this story about the locker rooms before we go spreading it as gospel.

And while we talk about locker rooms, can anyone verify Tom Penders claims that Hofheinz locker rooms had no water? Further claimed the team dressed at the practice facility and bussed to the games in uni ?

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Hambone10 - 06-11-2013 10:23 AM

Yeah... I'm not really buying it. There's more to the story that we're missing.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Orange County Owl - 06-11-2013 11:05 AM

(06-11-2013 09:17 AM)Burpelson Wrote:  I think UH will look to Minute Maid, therefore Rice could be giving up $100K in revenue due to locker rooms!01-wingedeagle

First off ... saying "you think" doesn't make something true.

That being said, I do have to chuckle at the thought of a hill and flag pole in the end zone.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - ESE84 - 06-11-2013 12:25 PM

(06-11-2013 09:17 AM)Burpelson Wrote:  Apparently UH could play one of the there games at Rice, but Rice AD is not allowing UH to use the Locker Rooms therefore forcing the possibility of UH using tents as locker rooms. I think UH will look to Minute Maid, therefore Rice could be giving up $100K in revenue due to locker rooms!01-wingedeagle

The cost to set Minute Maid up for football can't be cheap. Is BBVA Compass Stadium just too small? It is a very nice stadium, but I can see the 22,000 capacity as a problem.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Memphis Owl - 06-11-2013 12:37 PM

(06-11-2013 12:25 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  

The cost to set Minute Maid up for football can't be cheap. Is BBVA Compass Stadium just too small? It is a very nice stadium, but I can see the 22,000 capacity as a problem.

Maybe UH should play the extra game on the road?

They have 7 "home" games, why not play 6 like much of Div 1?

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - texd - 06-11-2013 04:04 PM

Surely Burp meant Reliant. Otherwise, I kinda want to go to that game.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Hambone10 - 06-11-2013 04:12 PM

After UH's experience with a golf cart, I wouldn't think they'd want a hill and a flag pole

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - mebehutchi - 06-11-2013 04:30 PM

There is a difference between revenue and profit. If the $100K is an after all expenses number it would be hard to pass up, but hosting a game does take time and organizational resources which are also in scant supply and may be at the inconvenience of our own athletes. Rice doesn't host concerts anymore at least partially due to the fact that profit motive isn't our entire end game, I don't know why we'd assess an outside football game any differently. At least we'll avoid another series of posts on how full the stadium was despite how awful the parking and concessions were.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-11-2013 04:45 PM

(06-11-2013 04:04 PM)texd Wrote:  

Surely Burp meant Reliant. Otherwise, I kinda want to go to that game.

No, I think he meant Minute Maid. I've heard the same through the grapevine.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Hambone10 - 06-11-2013 04:47 PM

(06-11-2013 04:30 PM)mebehutchi Wrote:  There is a difference between revenue and profit. If the $100K is an after all expenses number it would be hard to pass up, but hosting a game does take time and organizational resources which are also in scant supply and may be at the inconvenience of our own athletes. Rice doesn't host concerts anymore at least partially due to the fact that profit motive isn't our entire end game, I don't know why we'd assess an outside football game any differently. At least we'll avoid another series of posts on how full the stadium was despite how awful the parking and concessions were.

Really. Imagine the security costs (I keed, I keed)

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - WoodlandsOwl - 06-11-2013 07:03 PM

When was the last remodel of the Dressing Rooms at HRS? I thought Toad made some improvements to them.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Cougar Hippy - 06-11-2013 09:52 PM

(06-11-2013 12:25 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  The cost to set Minute Maid up for football can't be cheap. Is BBVA Compass Stadium just too small? It is a very nice stadium, but I can see the 22,000 capacity as a problem.

Yeah. Our only real complaint with BBVA is the 22k capacity. Our fanbase is way too big just for a mere 22k. We can easily sell out the place well beyond capacity but we don't want 10-15,000 Coogs turned away or forced to sit in the parking lot.

RE: Rice Football Locker Rooms & UH - Gravy Owl - 06-11-2013 09:55 PM

I keep hearing that our locker rooms have leaks, vermin, and no hot water. I don't know whether that is true but I don't question it.

What I want to know is, if it is true, then why aren't these issues at the top of the priority list? Surely these things could be fixed for less than the $45M and who-knows-how-many years an entirely new building will take.