CSNbbs
CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports (/thread-634399.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - Attackcoog - 05-24-2013 08:59 PM

The American Athletic Conference isn't the only league looking into creating a bowl game.

Conference USA is on the ground floor of a start-up bowl in Boca Raton, according to sources, with one source saying the league "likes the chances of it happening."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22295986/c-usa-looking-into-creating-bowl-game-in-boca-raton

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - HogDawg - 05-24-2013 09:04 PM

.....this Bowl thing is really getting watered down. Can't we just have a playoff? A real playoff?

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - techdawg88 - 05-24-2013 09:16 PM

this isn't surprising

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - mufanatehc - 05-24-2013 11:47 PM

So the SBC is working on a bowl in little rock, the aac is working on a bowl in miami, the b1g is working on another bowl in Detroit, and we're working on one in Boca. The questions are: do all of them happen? And which of the current bowls get axed.

I also have the feeling that if this Boca bowl happens, it'll be on fs1.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - DaSaintFan - 05-25-2013 12:08 AM

(05-24-2013 09:04 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  .....this Bowl thing is really getting watered down. Can't we just have a playoff? A real playoff?

well, rumour is that the Motor City bowl might be closing down, so there might be a couple of others that fade out as well?

But you'd think after last years' fiasco with MTSU and LA Tech being forced to sit on the sidelines, considering what happened with their seasons, they'd be some of the last fan bases to say it's watered down?

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - TOPPERSonTOP - 05-25-2013 12:11 AM

naturally when you add teams to fbs (cusa, mac, wac, and sbc) more teams will be eligible. since there is one game a year against FCS a little more than half of the teams will get eligible. Eligible teams who do not get in get mad. When people get mad, the NCAA investigates, when the NCAA investigates Cleavland St gets punished. Don't let Cleavland St get punished, add more bowls!!!

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - Dracorex - 05-25-2013 12:36 AM

ESPN's Bham bowl lost its sponsorship in BBVA Compass bank due to terrible venue location and so it may open the door elsewhere... if only UAB had an OCS or something

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - eager eagle - 05-25-2013 07:38 AM

(05-25-2013 12:08 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(05-24-2013 09:04 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  .....this Bowl thing is really getting watered down. Can't we just have a playoff? A real playoff?

well, rumour is that the Motor City bowl might be closing down, so there might be a couple of others that fade out as well?

But you'd think after last years' fiasco with MTSU and LA Tech being forced to sit on the sidelines, considering what happened with their seasons, they'd be some of the last fan bases to say it's watered down?

La Tech was NOT forced to sit on the sidelines. They were offered a spot in the Independence Bowl but delayed accepting too long thus the I-Bowl retracted and extended the invitation to another school.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - T_Won1 - 05-25-2013 08:35 AM

I think HogDawg meant that teams with 6-6 records (or even 6-7 records like last year)
should not be rewarded with a post-season game. They should move to a playoff system where only conference champions and a few at-large teams go to the post-season (like every other sport).

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - Attackcoog - 05-25-2013 08:59 AM

(05-25-2013 07:38 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  

La Tech was NOT forced to sit on the sidelines. They were offered a spot in the Independence Bowl but delayed accepting too long thus the I-Bowl retracted and extended the invitation to another school.

LaTech was not the only bowl qualified team that sat at home during bowl season. Even if LaTech HAD gone to the Indy Bowl, either LaMonroe or Ohio would have been left out. Plus, we will soon be expanding FBS from 120 to 126 schools (probably more as the Sunbelt goes to 12 eventually). There's room for a couple more bowls--I doubt that all 5 bowls floating around get approved. Also, my understanding is that the Little Ceasers Bowl isn't going away, it's just moving.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - eager eagle - 05-25-2013 09:18 AM

(05-25-2013 08:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

LaTech was not the only bowl qualified team that sat at home during bowl season. Even if LaTech HAD gone to the Indy Bowl, either LaMonroe or Ohio would have been left out. Plus, we will soon be expanding FBS from 120 to 126 schools (probably more as the Sunbelt goes to 12 eventually). There's room for a couple more bowls--I doubt that all 5 bowls floating around get approved. Also, my understanding is that the Little Ceasers Bowl isn't going away, it's just moving.

My only point was to correct your comment that La Tech was FORCED to sit on the sidelines. They were offered and did not accept the Indy invite. They would have played ULM who had already been invited and thus Ohio is the one who would have been left out. These bowls are watered down now whereby most invites mean nothing anyway.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - DAWGZILLA - 05-25-2013 11:43 AM

I don't want a bowl game in a on-campus facility. To me, the playing venue is part of the reward. NFL stadiums, MLB stadiums or neutral site venues are the best options.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - fauowls561 - 05-25-2013 11:55 AM

A bowl in Boca would be awesome. There are few places better in December than South Florida and the stadium is 2 miles from the beach. It's an ideal location for a bowl game. There are more than a couple of bowls that can stand to get axed. Travel to Detroit or Boise in the dead of winter? No thanks. This would be a big get for FAU. It would certainly help in the search for a new naming rights sponsor. Hope this happens!

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - fedale - 05-25-2013 02:00 PM

I didn't mind the Motor City... Ahem... The Little Caesars Pizza Bowl... It was cold as fugg in Detroit but the stadium is nice.

But I'd much rather go to Boca/Miami than Detroit ANY day.

We need to get rid of the bowls that are specifically branded around a advertisement... it's so watered down. The appeal of the football game is based EXACTLY upon the brand it represents.

I hate hearing Chik-Fil-A bowl, and the KFC Famous Bowl, etc... I love the old fashion names like (Citrus Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, Sun Bowl, etc)

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - OwlFamily - 05-25-2013 02:29 PM

(05-25-2013 02:00 PM)fedale Wrote:  I hate hearing Chik-Fil-A bowl, and the KFC Famous Bowl, etc... I love the old fashion names like (Citrus Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, Sun Bowl, etc)

Im afraid those days are gone forever.

This would be a good bowl for CUSA IMHO. Boca is a resort town, 2 minutes from the beach. You can drive one hour and be in South Beach and 3-4 hours to Key West depending on traffic. 3 Airports to make travel easy and easily enough hotel and restaurants to accomodate it.

There is only one other bowl in South Florida, and the area could easily handle another. I could even see one of the power 5 wanting one of their teams in this as a reward for their kids and giving boosters a marquee destination.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - TG4 - 05-25-2013 03:56 PM

(05-25-2013 02:29 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(05-25-2013 02:00 PM)fedale Wrote:  I hate hearing Chik-Fil-A bowl, and the KFC Famous Bowl, etc... I love the old fashion names like (Citrus Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, Sun Bowl, etc)

This would be a good bowl for CUSA IMHO. Boca is a resort town, 2 minutes from the beach. You can drive one hour and be in South Beach and 3-4 hours to Key West depending on traffic. 3 Airports to make travel easy and easily enough hotel and restaurants to accomodate it.

There is only one other bowl in South Florida, and the area could easily handle another. I could even see one of the power 5 wanting one of their teams in this as a reward for their kids and giving boosters a marquee destination.

I'll swap a Motor City Bowl for Boca in December anytime.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - 49RFootballNow - 05-25-2013 05:06 PM

(05-25-2013 03:56 PM)TG4 Wrote:  
(05-25-2013 02:29 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  

I'll swap a Motor City Bowl for Boca in December anytime.

That's like saying you'd prefer Kate Upton to Rosie O'Donnell.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - EagleX - 05-25-2013 05:50 PM

I don't understand the desire to trade playing in a bowl, albeit a relatively minor one, for the opportunity to watch 8 (or whatever the number is) other teams compete in a playoff that won't be any more equitable or any less controversial than what we have right this minute.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - HogDawg - 05-25-2013 06:14 PM

This is true.

RE: CUSA Working On New Bowl Game--CBS Sports - HogDawg - 05-25-2013 06:15 PM

(05-25-2013 08:35 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  I think HogDawg meant that teams with 6-6 records (or even 6-7 records like last year)
should not be rewarded with a post-season game. They should move to a playoff system where only conference champions and a few at-large teams go to the post-season (like every other sport).

Bingo. I took it for granted that everyone should think this way.