CSNbbs
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ (/thread-634310.html)

Pages: 1 2

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - TG4 - 05-24-2013 06:56 AM

What would you rate your school's commitment to Football? Basketball?

The USM folks have made very nice improvements to The Rock with the end zone suites, North Texas has a brand new home across the interstate from their old place, FAU has a beautiful new stadium, and MTSU continues to upgrade Floyd Stadium with the new Hendrix Stadium Club. LA Tech and Marshall have a long history of football support. ECU does too but they are moving on to the basketball conference.

MTSU=10

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - Oduniceguy - 05-24-2013 07:16 AM

ODU=10

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - bit_9 - 05-24-2013 07:45 AM

^Agreed. If we're not a 10 I don't know what is.

Edit for missing bball: For football that is a solid 10, maybe more when we see the stadium plans. We went from a complacent 8 to a 5 for basketball. We'll see how they deal with the BPF and such.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - SVHerd - 05-24-2013 07:53 AM

Marshall historically has been very complacent about putting monies into facility upkeep and such. We are not a wealthy school and struggle with funding. That said, with our new fundraising campiagn and new facilities going up, I would have to say a 9. Our new AD is trying to play catch up after the previous AD did squat and hurt our programs immensely. We now have a plan and focus.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - ODU AGGIE - 05-24-2013 08:04 AM

ODU - TEN!

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - monarchoptimist - 05-24-2013 09:23 AM

The score depends largely on what programs are being used for comparison.

I'm not giving ODU a 10 commitment in basketball after the recent hire. And I think it is tough to gauge our commitment to football until the stadium expansion plan gets released.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - GoGold - 05-24-2013 09:47 AM

USM Football= South zone expansion with suites, east side club seating and new field house all done in recent years. New turf and upgraded video board this year. The bathroom renovations continue. The firing of first year head coach Johnson after he led us to our worst year in modern times despite a huge buy out...I'd give us a strong 9.

USM Basketball= Reed Green might be the worst in the conference. The guts have been enlarged and renovated but what the fans see is pretty much what they seen in the 70's. If we can hold on to Head Coach DT for a few more years and continue the success of the past two seasons, the long awaited Reed Green improvements might finally come. Grade: 6

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - HogDawg - 05-24-2013 10:19 AM

Something really GREAT is about to happen to LA Tech: A new university prez takes over July 1st, 2013, for the first time in a quarter of a century. The new prez (Dr. Leslie Guice) is very well liked, and most Tech fans believe the Athletic department will benefit tremendously from this LONG OVERDUE change in university leadership. This leadership change also coincides nicely with LA Tech's "Quest for Excellence" campus facilities upgrades --including the MAJOR upgrades scheduled for our football stadium in 2014.

Having someone serve as your university president for 26 consecutive years can provide much needed stability, but it also has it's drawbacks. Our soon to be "former" prez moved far too slowly on most athletic investments, and he made a lot of "well publicized" mistakes along the way. But he also has a solid track record on academics (e.g., LA Tech has been recognized by USNWR as a Tier 1 NATIONAL University for several years now), and those academic accomplishments bought him leniency with most Tech fans.

As we all know, college athletics have changed tremendously in the last quarter of a century, and having some new blood with some new vision --and some new ideas-- will be a welcome change in Ruston. So, right now, I give LA Tech an incomplete (I) grade on athletics, at least until our new prez gets in office and we can gauge his real potential.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - 58-56 - 05-24-2013 10:28 AM

School = 10

Trustees = -71

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - Matrix - 05-24-2013 11:04 AM

UAB Football fans are starving for a winner, despite Legion Field & that damn board of trustees being "albatrosses" around the program's neck. The number could be higher if the team puts together a winning season, so until that happens, I'll say "7" to football, one breakout season is all it would take to send that number up. Basketball? Men's: "7"...Women's: Sad to say, "3", they've played their hearts out in the 3 seasons I've been able to attend their home games regularly & deserve better support than they've been getting from us. That needs to change, good basketball is good basketball to me, regardless of gender.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - Matrix - 05-24-2013 11:09 AM

& I rate this topic a "10"...Another good one!

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - blazers9911 - 05-24-2013 11:21 AM

This is a great topic, but there is no way any school that is in C-USA is a ten for either of these two sports. If that were the case, the school would not be in C-USA. ECU would be the closest thing in football, and I'd put them more in the 6-8 range.

UAB football- about a 2. Compared to every other program in the country, it is about bottom tier. Horrible teams. Horrible coaches. Horrible facilities. A BOT that is hellbent on keeping the program down. There are a ton of obstacles to overcome but this program could grow if the team ever started winning games.

UAB basketball- about a 6. The fan support is okay. The coaching has been historically pretty solid. The teams that have been put on the court have been outstanding for the most part.

Bottom line is there is a lot of room for extra commitment from the school in both sports. I think the two new coaches will right the ships, and hopefully both sports see a spike in attendance once winning teams are around again.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - TG4 - 05-24-2013 11:33 AM

(05-24-2013 11:09 AM)Matrix Wrote:  & I rate this topic a "10"...Another good one!

Thanks. I figured this would give the fans of schools that are serious about their football programs an opportunity to tout any recent accomplishments in facilities upgrades and such.

Football recruits should feel secure in knowing they won't be left with tablescraps of the basketball program.

I see the same folks at all the MTSU football events that I see at basketball events. Same for baseball. This is a good thing.

Fortunately for MTSU, it's not like that at some of the schools we are competing with for football talent.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - RonBurgundy - 05-24-2013 11:40 AM

(05-24-2013 10:19 AM)HogDawg Wrote:  Something really GREAT is about to happen to LA Tech: A new university prez takes over July 1st, 2013, for the first time in a quarter of a century. The new prez (Dr. Leslie Guice) is very well liked, and most Tech fans believe the Athletic department will benefit tremendously from this LONG OVERDUE change in university leadership. This leadership change also coincides nicely with LA Tech's "Quest for Excellence" campus facilities upgrades --including the MAJOR upgrades scheduled for our football stadium in 2014.

Having someone serve as your university president for 26 consecutive years can provide much needed stability, but it also has it's drawbacks. Our soon to be "former" prez moved far too slowly on most athletic investments, and he made a lot of "well publicized" mistakes along the way. But he also has a solid track record on academics (e.g., LA Tech has been recognized by USNWR as a Tier 1 NATIONAL University for several years now), and those academic accomplishments bought him leniency with most Tech fans.

As we all know, college athletics have changed tremendously in the last quarter of a century, and having some new blood with some new vision --and some new ideas-- will be a welcome change in Ruston. So, right now, I give LA Tech an incomplete (I) grade on athletics, at least until our new prez gets in office and we can gauge his real potential.

Gotta agree here with HD. I don't think anyone has ever gotten the vibe from Reneau that he was into sports at all and it seemed he thought it was just a necessary part of being a D1 university. Dr. Guice seems to be different and hopefully this changing of the guard will help our athletic profile. If this is true, I think you'll see Tech really take off nationally.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - stanman505 - 05-24-2013 11:55 AM

At UTEP I would give us a 2 for football. We are upgrading the housing for athletes but most of the upgrades at UTEP are not about sports. Administration is spending a lot of money on a campus renovation that could help to make the UTEP campus and campus life more attractive to recruits, but it is not much IMO. I also do not like the salary schedule we have for our football coaches. There is no way that a coordinator should be making less than a position coach at an auto qualifier school.

For basketball I would give us a 6. Nothing has been done to the Haskins Center for quit some time. Our basketball coaches are paid well and they have a good recruiting budget. What should be mentioned is that we finished a $14 million practice facility that opened in 2009.

There is a rumor of a major expansion to the Sun Bowl with luxury boxes in the south endzone but nothing has been said publically.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - MUsince96 - 05-24-2013 12:07 PM

Glad to hear La Tech is making a commitment to athletics. I enjoy having them in C-USA and think they bring a 'name' the general public is familiar with and gives credibility to the league.

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - ODUgradstudent - 05-24-2013 12:16 PM

(05-24-2013 12:07 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Glad to hear La Tech is making a commitment to athletics. I enjoy having them in C-USA and think they bring a 'name' the general public is familiar with and gives credibility to the league.

Showing my ignorance here, but I just went to look at LA Tech's 2012 season and those are some big numbers.

3rd in passing yards, 17th in rushing yards and 1st for points for (51.5!!!)

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - shiftyeagle - 05-24-2013 12:21 PM

An 8 for football (found a way to buy out a complete failure after only one season, stadium improvements, tradition)

A 6 for basketball (but increasing, even though our stadium is the basketball equivalent to Legion Field)

A 7 for baseball (great facilities, good tradition, but may be settling for mediocrity right now)

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - HerdZoned - 05-24-2013 01:34 PM

(05-24-2013 07:53 AM)SVHerd Wrote:  Marshall historically has been very complacent about putting monies into facility upkeep and such. We are not a wealthy school and struggle with funding. That said, with our new fundraising campiagn and new facilities going up, I would have to say a 9. Our new AD is trying to play catch up after the previous AD did squat and hurt our programs immensely. We now have a plan and focus.

Bob Marcum the previous AD even though a Marshall grad didn't even think we belonged in IA. From 2002 till 2009 there was no facility improvement to Joan C Edwards stadium except for field turf in 2005. He let both Miami and Tennessee out of contracts without paying a buyout. I still shake my head on that.

The only facility built in that time frame was softball's Dot Hicks Field, in 2008.

We are now building 4 more luxury boxes that have already been bought. There is a new soccer complex going up. And just broke ground on an IAC (Indoor Athletic Complex).

A lot of people got really annoyed at Dr Kopp, the new president when he first got to Marshall in 2005. He did scrap the IPF that was on the table at the time. The fact of the matter is Marshall was in horrid shape after the leadership or lack there of after Dan Angel was removed as president.

Since Dr Kopp has came to Marshall there have been 300 million dollars in capital improvements built or going on. He co-authored WVs "Bucks For Brains" program. Which lets the state match dollar for dollar for every donation up to 15 million dollars.

Dr Kopp is an academic president first, but he understands the role of athletics at a university is huge. Once Marshall got half way straight it was clear to see Dr Kopp did care about athletics. He meets with every recruit that takes an official visit to Marshall. We have had a couple recruits that committed say that was one of the reasons why.

Marshall IAC Groundbreaking

Chad Pennington and Mike D'Antoni Talk About The Vision Campagin

RE: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest............ - JDTulane - 05-24-2013 01:46 PM