CSNbbs
Engaged University - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Engaged University (/thread-630281.html)

Engaged University - hburg - 04-19-2013 04:44 PM

For those interested President Alger is coming up on WHSV to talk about his idea of "engaged university" is.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

RE: Engaged University - JMU - 04-19-2013 04:46 PM

Let's hope his discussion involves a move up to big boy tackle football.

RE: Engaged University - brizzock - 04-19-2013 04:54 PM

(04-19-2013 04:44 PM)hburg Wrote:  For those interested President Alger is coming up on WHSV to talk about his idea of "engaged university" is.

A university where everyone is getting married?

RE: Engaged University - JMUDUKE9 - 04-19-2013 05:25 PM

(04-19-2013 04:54 PM)brizzock Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 04:44 PM)hburg Wrote:  For those interested President Alger is coming up on WHSV to talk about his idea of "engaged university" is.

A university where everyone is getting married?

We could align with BYU.

RE: Engaged University - JMad03 - 04-19-2013 05:42 PM

Here is the video:
http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/1on1-JMU-President-Jonathan-Algers-Vision-203842071.html

Re: Engaged University - hburg - 04-19-2013 06:01 PM

JMU wants to marry someone...I am still trying to figure out who..:-P.

RE: Engaged University - DoubleDDuke - 04-20-2013 09:52 PM

I have to say that what I've seen from Alger so far is a lot of rhetoric and general speak, but nothing tangible yet. I know, I know.....he hasn't had much time. I just listen to him speak and I don't hear anything of any substance. He speaks in a lot of generalities and it just doesn't do much for me. I come away thinking "WHAT is he going to do?".

Engaged University - atljmualum - 04-20-2013 09:58 PM

(04-20-2013 09:52 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  I have to say that what I've seen from Alger so far is a lot of rhetoric and general speak, but nothing tangible yet. I know, I know.....he hasn't had much time. I just listen to him speak and I don't hear anything of any substance. He speaks in a lot of generalities and it just doesn't do much for me. I come away thinking "WHAT is he going to do?".

That doesnt make me feel better

RE: Engaged University - JMad03 - 04-20-2013 11:03 PM

Based on what he was saying, isn't JMU already doing that? It seems like he was just reiterating things we already know JMU does. Is it really a "vision" if the school already has that vision? How about "a more engaged university"- that would make more sense to me. \
Yeah, yeah, he hasn't had much time in office. But I would like to hear what he is going to do differently or improve upon.

And before I make this next comment, please note that I do like Alger- he did a LOT of "talking" with his hands, and was a bit distracting. Please tell me I was not the only one that noticed.

RE: Engaged University - DoubleDDuke - 04-21-2013 05:42 AM

(04-20-2013 11:03 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  Based on what he was saying, isn't JMU already doing that? It seems like he was just reiterating things we already know JMU does. Is it really a "vision" if the school already has that vision? How about "a more engaged university"- that would make more sense to me. \
Yeah, yeah, he hasn't had much time in office. But I would like to hear what he is going to do differently or improve upon.

And before I make this next comment, please note that I do like Alger- he did a LOT of "talking" with his hands, and was a bit distracting. Please tell me I was not the only one that noticed.

Ha, I've noticed the talking with the hands a lot thing since the first time I saw him speak. I totally agree. Not sure I'm getting this whole "Engaged University" thing either. When has JMU ever been known for being disengaged? Our students have a reputation of being engaged in tons of activities, being engaged in the community, being engaged in international studies and affairs, humanitarian efforts, etc. I guess I really don't see what he's getting at. Like you said, it seems to me that his "vision" is something that JMU is already outstanding at.

Engaged University - CharlestonDuke - 04-21-2013 05:52 AM

Good point. Engaged University sounds like general speak already, not sure what anyone is expecting.

The guy is a lawyer whose never been a school president - I'd be in "just don't eff this up" mode too. It's not like JMU is crap.

RE: Engaged University - hburg - 05-01-2013 04:31 PM

Today's interview on Midday on WSVA. Touches on a variety of issues such as growth, education, cost, athletics, and so on.

http://www.wsvaonline.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=6358575