CSNbbs
Convo upgrade possibility? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Convo upgrade possibility? (/thread-629075.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Convo upgrade possibility? - jmutoml757 - 04-10-2013 11:50 AM

Perhaps someone out there with more knowledge of audio/video equipment and such could enlighten me. Is there a reason, other than $ or laziness, that we can't add video screens under the wall score boards at the convo? I was able to catch a game this year ( a W vs Towson) and was surprised that they have not done that already. there were back to back thunderous dunks that would have sent the few fans that attended into a greater frenzy. It could add much to the game experience IMO. Any thoughts? thanks

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - JMU2004 - 04-10-2013 11:55 AM

(04-10-2013 11:50 AM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  Perhaps someone out there with more knowledge of audio/video equipment and such could enlighten me. Is there a reason, other than $ or laziness, that we can't add video screens under the wall score boards at the convo? I was able to catch a game this year ( a W vs Towson) and was surprised that they have not done that already. there were back to back thunderous dunks that would have sent the few fans that attended into a greater frenzy. It could add much to the game experience IMO. Any thoughts? thanks

we had budgeted to do this a couple years ago. Then it was scrapped b/c they want to allocate those funds towards a new convo.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - jmutoml757 - 04-10-2013 11:59 AM

(04-10-2013 11:55 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 11:50 AM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  Perhaps someone out there with more knowledge of audio/video equipment and such could enlighten me. Is there a reason, other than $ or laziness, that we can't add video screens under the wall score boards at the convo? I was able to catch a game this year ( a W vs Towson) and was surprised that they have not done that already. there were back to back thunderous dunks that would have sent the few fans that attended into a greater frenzy. It could add much to the game experience IMO. Any thoughts? thanks

we had budgeted to do this a couple years ago. Then it was scrapped b/c they want to allocate those funds towards a new convo.

Again, I am not up on this stuff, so a modest video board(s) would not be cost effective for the next few years leading up to some new convo action?

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - JMU2004 - 04-10-2013 12:03 PM

(04-10-2013 11:59 AM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 11:55 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

Again, I am not up on this stuff, so a modest video board(s) would not be cost effective for the next few years leading up to some new convo action?

I guess they feel it is a waste? I don't really know, to be honest.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - Dukes2004 - 04-10-2013 12:17 PM

What upgrades, if any, have been made to the convo in the past decade? Does anybody know?

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - jmutoml757 - 04-10-2013 12:30 PM

(04-10-2013 12:17 PM)Dukes2004 Wrote:  What upgrades, if any, have been made to the convo in the past decade? Does anybody know?

i did notice that there was an electronic banner beneath the scorer's table. That was all I noticed that was different than from 91 when I graduated.I am not sure about the locker rooms etc.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - 5000DOLLARBILL - 04-10-2013 12:52 PM

RISERS!

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - jmutoml757 - 04-10-2013 12:54 PM

(04-10-2013 12:52 PM)5000DOLLARBILL Wrote:  RISERS!

That's right. the risers on the ends where the awesome band is looked upgraded too, as well as those under the baskets.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - BSKB 24 - 04-10-2013 12:54 PM

Video Boards are major undertaking. You have to have a room dedicated just for the controls/electronics involved with it. There was an RFP out a few years ago for major renovations for the Convo. When the estimates came in they were so high that it required a different funding plan with the state. Then, the decision was made to build a new Convo and upgrades became a situation where it didn't make sense to spend but so much money on the current Convo. They did put some new lighting in and painted.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - jmutoml757 - 04-10-2013 12:56 PM

(04-10-2013 12:54 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Video Boards are major undertaking. You have to have a room dedicated just for the controls/electronics involved with it. There was an RFP out a few years ago for major renovations for the Convo. When the estimates came in they were so high that it required a different funding plan with the state. Then, the decision was made to build a new Convo and upgrades became a situation where it didn't make sense to spend but so much money on the current Convo. They did put some new lighting in and painted.

Thanks. that answers my question.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - Missing D Hall Daily - 04-10-2013 01:23 PM

So where do we stand with regards to a new convo?

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - BSKB 24 - 04-10-2013 01:26 PM

(04-10-2013 01:23 PM)Missing D Hall Daily Wrote:  So where do we stand with regards to a new convo?

Good question. I am sure it is buried in the big puzzle of figuring out 1A vs 1AA and how everyting is going to be paid for. A new Convo was basically approved, but JMU decided a new URec was more important as it meets the needs of 19,000 students on a daily basis. We will get a New Convo in relatively short order, but figuring out how to pay for all this stuff is a gargantuan order.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - KickItToScotty - 04-10-2013 02:25 PM

(04-10-2013 12:17 PM)Dukes2004 Wrote:  What upgrades, if any, have been made to the convo in the past decade? Does anybody know?

The scoreboards are a little nicer than they used to be with the individual player points and fouls. Don't remember how long ago that was, but I'd say it was probably within the past five years.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - WeThePurple - 04-10-2013 03:18 PM

Sounds like we are several years away. I would assume 2-3 years to build the new convo once an actual decision is made/funding is found. Figure, a year or so for design, bid it out, etc, and then close to 2 years to build.

I wonder where it would be built?

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - hburg - 04-10-2013 03:20 PM

If I remember correctly the new convo will be decided at a meeting in 2014. From everything I have heard, the convo will be a go and will more than likely be built above the old convo where the old softball fields are. But that is all speculation of course.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - JMU_71 - 04-10-2013 03:29 PM

(04-10-2013 03:18 PM)WeThePurple Wrote:  Sounds like we are several years away. I would assume 2-3 years to build the new convo once an actual decision is made/funding is found. Figure, a year or so for design, bid it out, etc, and then close to 2 years to build.

The master plan has it being built where the old softball field is. That's located just above the current Convo. I have heard another location suggested, but its been shot down like so many good ideas. That suggestion was to build it in the area between the Forbes Center and the old Harrisonburg High location. Currently, there are some old unused warehouses in that location. JMU owns the property, there are parking decks close by, several major roads would feed the location (42, 11) making it easier to access than the nightmare that is the Convo road and Port Rep. and it would better connect the old part of campus with the baseball and softball field locations. But, this makes too much sense for Mr. King to consider.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - Missing D Hall Daily - 04-10-2013 03:45 PM

(04-10-2013 03:29 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 03:18 PM)WeThePurple Wrote:  Sounds like we are several years away. I would assume 2-3 years to build the new convo once an actual decision is made/funding is found. Figure, a year or so for design, bid it out, etc, and then close to 2 years to build.

The master plan has it being built where the old softball field is. That's located just above the current Convo. I have heard another location suggested, but its been shot down like so many good ideas. That suggestion was to build it in the area between the Forbes Center and the old Harrisonburg High location. Currently, there are some old unused warehouses in that location. JMU owns the property, there are parking decks close by, several major roads would feed the location (42, 11) making it easier to access than the nightmare that is the Convo road and Port Rep. and it would better connect the old part of campus with the baseball and softball field locations. But, this makes too much sense for Mr. King to consider.

That would be cool. I'm sure there is some unused rail line down that way too. It would be amazing to pregame in some old rail cars a la USC Cockabooses for their football games.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - Dukes86 - 04-10-2013 03:49 PM

That would actually be really awesome. I would be all for that. It would still be #2, however, to tearing down Godwin and building it there in the heart of campus and connected (hopefully sooner rather than later) to the other half of BFS so they could share concessions, bathrooms, offices, etc. This was suggested back on the zone a while back, but apparently some thought it would NEVER happen. Probably wouldn't be enough room.

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - HolyCityDuke - 04-10-2013 03:49 PM

(04-10-2013 03:45 PM)Missing D Hall Daily Wrote:  

That would be cool. I'm sure there is some unused rail line down that way too. It would be amazing to pregame in some old rail cars a la USC Cockabooses for their football games.

I want ZERO to do what that effing school. 04-chairshot

RE: Convo upgrade possibility? - Dukes86 - 04-10-2013 03:51 PM

(04-10-2013 03:45 PM)Missing D Hall Daily Wrote:  

Yea, they would have to figure out that railroad situation, which is still in use and carries chicken feed and whatnot down to Dayton.