CSNbbs
OT: Backpacking in North Carolina - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Appalachian State (/forum-96.html)
+----- Thread: OT: Backpacking in North Carolina (/thread-627145.html)

OT: Backpacking in North Carolina - Murray007 - 03-29-2013 12:29 PM

Hi App State fans!

Just wanted some opinions on backpacking in North Carolina and any locations that you all can suggest. I've done the Appalachian Trail though the Smokies and the Deep Creek Trail (also in the Smokies) and I'm looking for new stuff. I know about the other parts of the AT in North Carolina but I'm looking for other suggestions also!

Also, if you can suggest any cities, restaurants, landmarks, or other interesting things I'd be grateful also.

Thanks!

RE: OT: Backpacking in North Carolina - appfan89 - 03-30-2013 10:56 AM

(03-29-2013 12:29 PM)Murray007 Wrote:  Hi App State fans!

Just wanted some opinions on backpacking in North Carolina and any locations that you all can suggest. I've done the Appalachian Trail though the Smokies and the Deep Creek Trail (also in the Smokies) and I'm looking for new stuff. I know about the other parts of the AT in North Carolina but I'm looking for other suggestions also!

Also, if you can suggest any cities, restaurants, landmarks, or other interesting things I'd be grateful also.

Thanks!

My wife and I have done Linville Gorge several times. Go see the falls, then get away from there as quick as you can, it is VERY touristy. Once you get down in the gorge, there are several campsites to hunker down for a day, then move on to the next. Very little tourists down in the gorge, especially if you get away from the falls.

RE: OT: Backpacking in North Carolina - APPCOUNTRY - 04-01-2013 06:01 PM

Thanks!

Gorge is great hiking. Ill also add grandfather mountain to the mix. Many different trails to take to the summit with many great campsites along the way up. Also check out the Mountains to sea trail.

RE: OT: Backpacking in North Carolina - Murray007 - 04-01-2013 07:49 PM

(04-01-2013 06:01 PM)APPCOUNTRY Wrote:  

Thanks!

Gorge is great hiking. Ill also add grandfather mountain to the mix. Many different trails to take to the summit with many great campsites along the way up. Also check out the Mountains to sea trail.

Excellent! Thanks for both of you! I believe the Deep Creek Trail was a tiny portion of the Mountains to Sea trail but don't quote me on that. I'm sure the other parts are great!

Can't wait to backpack this summer!