CSNbbs
WKU INFO - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+----- Forum: CUSA Smack Talk (/forum-450.html)
+----- Thread: WKU INFO (/thread-626946.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

WKU INFO - WKUApollo - 03-28-2013 06:47 AM

Although WKU has not “officially” been invited and accepted an invitation to join CUSA but... since the overwhelming speculation is that WKU will be soon and ya'll have started numerous threads about WKU and since there continue to be questions from your fans about WKU's campus, traditions, programs, etc. I thought I’d create one thread and give ya’ll a bit of information about our athletic programs, Bowling Green, and our traditions. Hopefully it's helpful as you learn more about your possible new conference mate from the great state of Kentucky. My fellow Hilltoppers will surely add to or make corrections to anything I've incorrectly stated. Of course, all these rumors and speculations could turn out to be one big hoax. FWIW, I hope no one considers this pimping my school. Honestly, I'm still doubtful the invite comes and even if it doesn't, WKU will continue to be a success in whatever conference we belong to in the future. This is the first time I've ever started a thread on another conference board....it almost feels dirty.

Men’s Basketball:

7th Winningest Program by percentage in NCAA Division 1 history
23 NCAA Tournaments
13 NIT Tournaments (most of which were when the NIT was the national championship tournament, pre-1952)
4 Final Fours (National Title game in 1942)
47 Conference Championships (3rd best in the NCAA)
1,678 Total wins (14th best in NCAA history)
8 NCAA Sweet Sixteens. Last was 2008
41 twenty-win seasons (6th best in the NCAA)
Ranked in the AP Poll at least 21 years of the last 63 years.

Interesting facts:
1. WKU was the first school to win 30 games in one year (1937-38).
2. E.A. Diddle (coached from 1922-64) was the winningest coach in NCAA history when he retired. – Our current basketball arena is named after him. It is generally accepted by WKU fans that the aging and near senile Adolph Rupp of the University of Kentucky lingered on as coach at UK until 1972 in order to surpass Coach Diddle and become the winningest coach at that time. Rupp refused to schedule WKU but was forced to play WKU in the 1971 NCAA Tournament. Seventh ranked WKU stomped the eighth ranked Kentucky Wildcats 107-83. WKU went on to the Final Four, losing to Villanova in overtime.
3. The Sun Belt has 7 NCAA Tourney wins in the last 20 years. All 7 won by WKU.
4. In the last 32 years, 5 of the 8 WKU coaches left WKU to coach in the Big10, BigEast, and SEC.

Women’s Basketball:
• 12th Winningest Program in NCAA History
• 16 NCAA Tournament Appearances
• 3 Final Fours (Only 8 schools have more)
• 1992 National Runner-Up
• 19 Sun Belt Conference Championships
• 20 All-Americans

Football:
3 National Championship title games. National Champions in 2002. (FCS)
We were one of the winningest FCS programs of all-time at that level with multiple playoff berths and 3 National Title Championship games (winning it all in 2002). WKU has performed consistently well decade after decade regardless of the level we played as reflecting by our current 14 winning seasons of the last 17. The three losing seasons were the 2nd year of transition to FBS and the first two years of FBS. 2012-2013 was our fourth year in FBS and we are already back to the WKU winning tradition with back to back winning seasons and Bowl eligibility. We played in our first FBS Bowl this year. With a significant numbers of starters returning and the recent hiring of Bobby Petrino as Head Coach, next year might be truly special. Excitement about football in Bowling Green is at an all-time high.

As you can see, not only have we never been a cellar dweller, regardless of the level or conference, WKU has been one of the most consistent winners in the college landscape. It’s not just the 3 major sports either.

All sports:
WKU was the most championship-winning Sun Belt school across all sports in the last 12 years. No other school comes remotely close to the number of conference championships won by WKU. In the last 12 years WKU won 82 championships. We don’t merely compete well; we win conference championships. There’s an expectation of excellence across the board, thus mediocrity is not accepted. Here’s a chart comparing the Sun Belt schools.

[Image: ScreenShot2013-01-06at90956PM_zps90b92cd5.png]

Also, in the last 5 years, only one school from a FBS conference surpassed WKU in the number of conference championships in all sports.

[Image: ScreenShot2013-01-06at90934PM_zpsf280a7d4.png]

Coaches:
MBB: Ray Harper (363-76 record, 83.1%, in 13 and half years)
Coach Harper is a legend in coaching circles. A 7-time National Coach of the Year at the NCAA Division II level where in 9 years as Head Coach at Kentucky Wesleyan College, Harper led the school to 6 straight national championship title games, winning two. He then moved to Oklahoma City University (NAIA Division I) and as their coach for 3 years, he led them to the national championship game all three years, winning two national championships. He left OCU to return home to Kentucky and became Assistant Coach at WKU in 2008.
He took over as Head Coach for WKU in January 2012 and proceeded to take a 5-11 team and transform them by the end of the season and won the Sun Belt Tournament Title with 4 games in 4 days. Then won the play-in game of the NCAA Tournament and lost in the 2nd round to the eventual champion, Kentucky, by 16 points.
In 2012-2013 - Another SBC Tournament Title and trip to the NCAA Tourney

Football: Bobby Petrino (75-25 record in 8 years as Head Coach at Louisville and Arkansas)
Coach Petrino will start his first season as Head Coach of the WKU Hilltoppers this Fall.

WBB: Michelle Heard.
Coach Heard just completed her first year as Head Coach at WKU. She took a 10 win team from last year and turned them into a 22 win team this year.

Facilities - Definitely check out the link to our facilities here: http://www.wkusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5400&KEY=&ATCLID=204777763

In the last 10 years or so, our on-campus football stadium, basketball arena, track, baseball and softball fields have received approximately $100 million in renovations and expansions.

[Image: ScreenShot2013-01-06at94458PM_zpse403c82f.png]
Diddle Arena. Truly a state of the art facility.

[Image: ScreenShot2013-01-06at90708PM_zpsae2740b4.png]
Our football stadium (Houchens-LT Smith Stadium) was recently renovated and expanded with architectural plans in place, should a need arise, to expand to 40,000 capacity.

Additional Facts:
Enrollment: approx.. 22,000
Endowment: approx.. $110,000,000
Athletic Budget: approx. $23,000,000

What is a Hilltopper, what is that mascot, and what’s the story behind the Red Towel?

HILLTOPPERS: When the current WKU campus was established in the early 1900’s it was built on top of the one prominent hill in Bowling Green. The area around Bowling Green is relatively flat so this hill stands out. The residents of Bowling Green in the early 20th Century referred to the students on the hilltop as “hilltoppers”. The description took hold and by the 1920’s our athletic teams became referred to as the “Hilltoppers”. Bowling Green is not part of the Appalachian Mountains or foothills. In fact, the entirety of the western half of the state of Kentucky is composed of mostly flat land or gently rolling hills.
BIG RED: Our mascot, BIG RED, is not a personification of a hill or "the hilltopper". He's just Big Red. He was a creation from the mind of a WKU student in 1979 to represent the Big Red nation. Big Red is one of the most recognized and unique mascots in America, winning several national mascot awards and appearing on numerous ESPN videos and advertisements over the years.
[Image: ScreenShot2013-01-07at75702PM_zps39105a15.png]
RED TOWEL: Coach Diddle was famous for carrying a towel on the sidelines, wiping his forehead, chewing on it, throwing it, etc. He preceeded Tarkanian by decades, for those who remember Jerry Tarkanian of UNLV. At one point during the early years, the athletic department had problems keeping track of towels. Many would disappear so it was recommended they purchase red towels so they could easily be recognized if found in the residence halls of the student athletes. The Red Towel soon became synonymous with WKU Athletics. Our students and fans began taking small red towels to athletic events to wave during games. Yes, many teams, college and pro, now wave towels at athletic events but WKU has been doing it for numerous decades.

BOWLING GREEN, KENTUCKY:
Bowling Green, BG to some, is Kentucky's 3rd largest city with a metropolitan population of approximately 130,000 and a market area of 300,000+. Located 20 miles from Bowling Green is Mammoth Cave National Park. Also, Bowling Green is the home of the Chevy Corvette and the International Headquarters for Fruit of the Loom. It is located a mere 20 miles north of the Tennessee state line on I-65 and located between 3 other metro areas, Owensboro, KY (120,000 about 50 minutes away), Louisville (1.3 million about 1 hour away), and Nashville (1.5 million about 45 minutes away). All three have large WKU alumni bases.
[Image: ScreenShot2013-01-07at81745PM_zps8a8d963a.png]

RE: WKU INFO - MUHERD76 - 03-28-2013 07:11 AM

Thanks for sharing.

RE: WKU INFO - ThreeifbyLightning - 03-28-2013 07:40 AM

So, you've seen all the good stuff about Western, but I think in fairness you also need to know what Western looks like without her makeup on. As this thread demonstrates, Western fans are quite adept at gloating you will soon learn. They like to come up with every statistic, anecdote or example to establish #1 why they are better than you and #2 why they never lose a single contest on their own. There's always another explanation. Also, you should note that about half of those championships have come in cross country, swimming, and diving (for which most Sun Belt schools don't have). Sorry Apollo. Couldn't resist.

BTW, all of you will soon come to hate both MT and WKU on this board well at least the relentless banter between the two fan bases. It will be fun at first but then will quickly become annoying. Honestly if you have never spent time on the Sun Belt board you guys have no idea what you in for. I would like to say we could make a pact and become more civil to one another as we make this transition, but it would likely just end up like any cease fire between the Israelis and Palestinians.

RE: WKU INFO - wkuhilltopperfan - 03-28-2013 07:53 AM

(03-28-2013 07:40 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  So, you've seen all the good stuff about Western, but I think in fairness you also need to know what Western looks like without her makeup on. As this thread demonstrates, Western fans are quite adept at gloating you will soon learn. They like to come up with every statistic, anecdote or example to establish #1 why they are better than you and #2 why they never lose a single contest on their own. There's always another explanation. Also, you should note that about half of those championships have come in cross country, swimming, and diving (for which most Sun Belt schools don't have). Sorry Apollo. Couldn't resist.

BTW, all of you will soon come to hate both MT and WKU on this board well at least the relentless banter between the two fan bases. It will be fun at first but then will quickly become annoying. Honestly if you have never spent time on the Sun Belt board you guys have no idea what you in for. I would like to say we could make a pact and become more civil to one another as we make this transition, but it would likely just end up like any cease fire between the Israelis and Palestinians.

There is no doubt WKU and MT has a love to hate thing going on 04-cheers we have a lot of active users and while most are very knowledgable and well rounded about sports, some will never take off blinders and except the truth when things don't go our way, I would say this happens with every school.

RE: WKU INFO - WKUApollo - 03-28-2013 08:00 AM

(03-28-2013 07:40 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  So, you've seen all the good stuff about Western, but I think in fairness you also need to know what Western looks like without her makeup on. As this thread demonstrates, Western fans are quite adept at gloating you will soon learn. They like to come up with every statistic, anecdote or example to establish #1 why they are better than you and #2 why they never lose a single contest on their own. There's always another explanation. Also, you should note that about half of those championships have come in cross country, swimming, and diving (for which most Sun Belt schools don't have). Sorry Apollo. Couldn't resist.

That's fine bud. I'm sure the rest of your new conference will soon learn that most of the supposed hatred between our two schools revolve around your feelings of inadeqacy and misinformation. I Just stated facts, which MT fans despise. MT fans prefer to spread misinformation such as the reference to swimming and diving and cross country championships which are not half our championships. They mention that because well, they don't win those championship. They win golf and tennis championships kudos. And..WKU expects success. That's not feeling superior, That's winning.

RE: WKU INFO - WKUFan518 - 03-28-2013 08:11 AM

Not even in conf. yet, and here comes the MTSU fans or fan I should say...

RE: WKU INFO - MTowho - 03-28-2013 08:12 AM

No misinformation here.

Football
2012 - MT
2011 - WKU
2010 - MT
2009 - MT
2008 - MT

Men's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/WKU
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

Women's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/MT/MT
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

We can all make numbers look like whatever we want.

RE: WKU INFO - Dracorex - 03-28-2013 08:14 AM

this might be a fun conference afterall...

Just don't bring BurnTheHorse and ATL trojan along with you when you migrate over... k thanx bye

But no worries, none of your sun belt titles mean anything to us. It is like claiming, as a guy, that you can beat up all the girls you hang out with. :-P When you get a CUSA title in either bball or football then we'll let you talk smack.

RE: WKU INFO - MUsince96 - 03-28-2013 08:31 AM

Some good ol' fashioned hate. I LIKE IT!

RE: WKU INFO - theborosbest - 03-28-2013 08:34 AM

(03-28-2013 08:31 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Some good ol' fashioned hate. I LIKE IT!

The rivalry is known as "100 miles of hate"

RE: WKU INFO - Niner National - 03-28-2013 08:57 AM

WKU is a very good add. I wish they were added with MTSU the last time around.

I really like the look of WKU's football stadium. IMO it is one of the nicest looking small stadiums in the country.

RE: WKU INFO - BlueRaider0x0 - 03-28-2013 09:02 AM

(03-28-2013 08:11 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Not even in conf. yet, and here comes the MTSU fans or fan I should say...

You are correct. You aren't in the conference so go post your charts on the Sun Belt board. Y'all need to be focused on Appy St. and GA South who claim they will run the SBC in 2014!!

PS hurry up to CUSA! 04-cheers

RE: WKU INFO - MTowho - 03-28-2013 09:03 AM

(03-28-2013 08:31 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Some good ol' fashioned hate. I LIKE IT!

I don't think you have any idea. This board will not be the same if WKU gets that invite.

RE: WKU INFO - BlueRaider0x0 - 03-28-2013 09:03 AM

(03-28-2013 08:12 AM)MTowho Wrote:  No misinformation here.

Football
2012 - MT
2011 - WKU
2010 - MT
2009 - MT
2008 - MT

Men's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/WKU
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

Women's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/MT/MT
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

04-rock

RE: WKU INFO - WKUApollo - 03-28-2013 09:04 AM

Football
MY fans 12 - MT
2011 - WKU
2010 - MT
2009 - MT
2008 - MT

Men's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/WKU
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

Women's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/MT/MT
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

You are correct. Thanks for once again making this about MT. Funny How that happens. MT has owned WKU while it transitioned from FCS to FBS. Of course you left out 2007 when WKU was still FCS and 1st year of transition and beat MT at MT. And Yes you owned us during a bad coaching hire in basketball from 2010 on. CONGRATS.

RE: WKU INFO - BlueRaider0x0 - 03-28-2013 09:08 AM

(03-28-2013 09:04 AM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

Football
MY fans 12 - MT
2011 - WKU
2010 - MT
2009 - MT
2008 - MT

Men's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/WKU
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

Women's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/MT/MT
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

Of course you left out 2007 when WKU was still FCS and 1st year of transition and beat MT at MT.

MT likes to give FCS teams get their first FBS victory. Has Western Carolina beaten a FBS team yet? #^!*03-hissyfit

RE: WKU INFO - ThreeifbyLightning - 03-28-2013 09:10 AM

(03-28-2013 08:00 AM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

That's fine bud. I'm sure the rest of your new conference will soon learn that most of the supposed hatred between our two schools revolve around your feelings of inadeqacy and misinformation. I Just stated facts, which MT fans despise. MT fans prefer to spread misinformation such as the reference to swimming and diving and cross country championships which are not half our championships. They mention that because well, they don't win those championship. They win golf and tennis championships kudos. And..WKU expects success. That's not feeling superior, That's winning.

The fact is 38 out of those 82 championships have come in those sports. I said "about half" and 46% is closer to half than any other round number, so no it's not misinformation. Feelings of inadequacy actually emanate from there as evidence by thread after thread started by Western fans in recent months trying to convince themselves they are relevant.

But "that's okay." From the bottom of my heart you guys do matter. You are good enough. You're smart enough, and gosh darnit people do you like you.

[Image: Stuart_Smalley.jpg]

RE: WKU INFO - ThreeifbyLightning - 03-28-2013 09:15 AM

(03-28-2013 09:04 AM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

Football
MY fans 12 - MT
2011 - WKU
2010 - MT
2009 - MT
2008 - MT

Men's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/WKU
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

Women's Basketball
2013 - MT/MT
2012 - MT/MT/MT
2011 - MT/MT
2010 - MT/MT

You are correct. Thanks for once again making this about MT. Funny How that happens. MT has owned WKU while it transitioned from FCS to FBS. Of course you left out 2007 when WKU was still FCS and 1st year of transition and beat MT at MT. And Yes you owned us during a bad coaching hire in basketball from 2010 on. CONGRATS.

See what I mean C-USA friends. It's always someone else's fault. There's always another excuse just around the corner.

RE: WKU INFO - redfan - 03-28-2013 09:17 AM

I looked back at the first post in this thread and all I saw was information about a school that is a likely addition to CUSA. Seems to be a common type of post to me.

RE: WKU INFO - ThreeifbyLightning - 03-28-2013 09:19 AM

(03-28-2013 09:17 AM)redfan Wrote:  I looked back at the first post in this thread and all I saw was information about a school that is a likely addition to CUSA. Seems to be a common type of post to me.

Sorry for the confusion Red. I was referencing the posts on the SBC board in recent months.

BTW, you guys hearing when the announcement is going to be made?

I actually believe everyone will settle down a little once the conference carousel is worked out.