CSNbbs
Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G (/thread-624362.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - CommuterBob - 03-16-2013 08:15 AM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-big-ten-travel-0315-20130314,0,1297978.story

On top of whatever income Maryland will get from the B1G, they will get a large lump-sum travel subsidy to help offset the additional travel costs of joining the new conference.

Quote:The subsidy, which Maryland was promised in negotiations with the conference late last year, made an already appealing offer of Big Ten membership even more attractive to the school.

Since financial details of the agreement are kept private — the amount of the subsidy is not publicly available. But the amount is in the range of $20 million to $30 million, according to sources familiar with the deal.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-big-ten-travel-subsidy-to-maryland-is-worth-20-million-to-30-million-20130315,0,1971654.story
Quote:What to conclude from this? That Maryland believed it was negotiating from strength. To be truly successful, you have to know you can walk away from a negotiation. You need a backup plan.

Maryland knew it could have stayed in the ACC; there is plenty of history there, and the conference isn’t faltering. If schools depart the ACC, it’s not because they must – it’s because they receive tempting offers and make calculations about their future prospects.

I am going to make an educated guess that the Big Ten didn’t enter the talks prepared to offer Maryland a travel subsidy. Maryland came to the talks equipped with projections showing how its travel costs would spiral. Maryland’s current team travel budget is about $3 million, and it has estimated the amount would roughly double in the first year in the Big Ten.

So it seems Maryland made a request, and that request was granted. I know Maryland and the Big Ten are future partners and that their interests are now aligned. But you always wonder in a negotiation who was the suitor and who was being courted.

Maryland was the big prize (who knew?) and they could negotiate a huge cash payout from the B1G. According to Kristi Dosh, Rutgers gets nothing extra in this regard.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - Tallgrass - 03-16-2013 08:20 AM

B1G is definitely on the move. That $50M judgement, if it goes against Maryland (and therfore B1G) isn't going to stop B1G expansion....B1G has money to burn.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - He1nousOne - 03-16-2013 08:30 AM

20-30 million? Conveniently probably the same amount Maryland ends up paying to the ACC as an exit fee.

A lump sum paid to Maryland for future travel expenses for years to come? Yeah....right. Nice cover story for getting money to Maryland to help pay the expected exit fee amount.

In regards to Rutgers, they don't have nearly the exit fee to pay. Also, they wouldn't have gotten in without Maryland agreeing to come first.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - TIGER-PAUL - 03-16-2013 08:32 AM

Travel subsidy?
more like exit fee subsidy imo
doesn't help MD punitive arguement either

Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - arkstfan - 03-16-2013 08:36 AM

Maryland is purportedly a prize because of markets. I suspect what made Maryland worth an upfront payment was cracking the ACC veneer. B1G couldn't budge UVA, UNC, GT, FSU just as SEC couldn't budge UT or TAMU and used Arkansas to crack the foundation.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - CommuterBob - 03-16-2013 08:47 AM

(03-16-2013 08:32 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Travel subsidy?

This. This does not help Maryland's case at all.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - Tallgrass - 03-16-2013 08:47 AM

(03-16-2013 08:36 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Maryland is purportedly a prize because of markets. I suspect what made Maryland worth an upfront payment was cracking the ACC veneer. B1G couldn't budge UVA, UNC, GT, FSU just as SEC couldn't budge UT or TAMU and used Arkansas to crack the foundation.

I lived in Washington DC for almost 4 decades. It is a marvelous sports town. DC really supports sports.

It is a "national city" in the respect that alumni from all the states live there via the legislative and the consequent national organizations (lobbyists) and many schools from many states have a "branch office" there for extension programs. I knew Sunday which college team won because I would then see the T-Shirts pop out on Sunday folloing a victory.

Maryland is going to move DC from an "ACC" oriented town to a B1G oriented town....and I believe the B1G and Maryland pull will be so strong, that Virginia, Va TEch, and NC cannot ignore B1G.

For what it is worth, Both Maryland and Virginia considered themselves easterns schools. As an aside, so does Georgetown. It is this eastern orientation of the C7 schools and BE football playing schools that I felt the Nbe proposal would not work.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - jaminandjachin - 03-16-2013 08:48 AM

I agree with this. That's a lot of money to get upfront for Maryland. I wonder what Rutgers got.

I do find it interesting that this information is slowly being leaked out around Maryland's deal with the Big 10. If Maryland was in a position of strength before to negotiate things like this, can you imagine what UVA, GT, UNC would ask for.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - Tallgrass - 03-16-2013 08:51 AM

(03-16-2013 08:47 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

This. This does not help Maryland's case at all.

$50M for Maryland is a crusher. A $30M "travel subsidy" is peanuts when divided among the 12 B1G schools. That means MD has to pay $20M of the $50M, but MD will get boatloads of TV money over ACC, and so the remaining $20M is peanuts to MD.

No doubt B1G is going to take two more ACC schools.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - Tallgrass - 03-16-2013 08:52 AM

(03-16-2013 08:48 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

I agree with this. That's a lot of money to get upfront for Maryland. I wonder what Rutgers got.

I do find it interesting that this information is slowly being leaked out around Maryland's deal with the Big 10. If Maryland was in a position of strength before to negotiate things like this, can you imagine what UVA, GT, UNC would ask for.

Rutgers probably got nothing and deserves nothing. The B1G monies are heaven enough for Rutgers. The Nbe exit fee is peanuts compared to what MD is facing.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - CommuterBob - 03-16-2013 08:56 AM

(03-16-2013 08:48 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

As I mentioned, Kristi Dosh (@SportsBizMiss) mentioned on Twitter that Rutgers gets nothing in that regard.

The issue that I would think is that if Maryland is getting this huge windfall, then anyone else from the ACC (especially the schools in greater demand such as UNC) would want the same. Is the B1G willing to offer that to the other schools?

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - Maize - 03-16-2013 09:03 AM

Why don't they call it what it is...the $30 Million is the difference for the $50 Million they are going to payout...Maryland is willing to pay the original $20 Million...07-coffee3

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - TIGER-PAUL - 03-16-2013 09:06 AM

They would have to.
Main point is its not a deterrant for b10 or even sec.
They'd offer it to kansas or other b12 too.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - CommuterBob - 03-16-2013 09:09 AM

(03-16-2013 09:06 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  They would have to.
Main point is its not a deterrant for b10 or even sec.
They'd offer it to kansas or other b12 too.

$30M to one school is one thing. $30M to five is another. Even the cash cow B1G isn't that flush with cash to throw around an extra $100M.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - jaminandjachin - 03-16-2013 09:09 AM

It shows if you want to get out of the ACC, the Big 10 is saying they'll help you.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - Maize - 03-16-2013 09:17 AM

Now the question is will the SEC and even the Big XII be willing to payout around $60 Million for two schools total...JMO, for the Big XII & Texas....NO!!! ...the only school would be Notre Dame who is also subject to the ACC Payout.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - XLance - 03-16-2013 10:41 AM

(03-16-2013 08:30 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  20-30 million? Conveniently probably the same amount Maryland ends up paying to the ACC as an exit fee.

A lump sum paid to Maryland for future travel expenses for years to come? Yeah....right. Nice cover story for getting money to Maryland to help pay the expected exit fee amount.

In regards to Rutgers, they don't have nearly the exit fee to pay. Also, they wouldn't have gotten in without Maryland agreeing to come first.

No the 20-30 Million PLUS the original $20M. The B1G is just covering the difference from the original exit fee to the higher exit fee the Maryland will have to pay, because Maryland and the B1G DO NOT want the lawsuit to go to trial. If the truth comes out, Maryland and the B1G might find themselves on the short end of several other lawsuits.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - CrazyPaco - 03-16-2013 10:48 AM

(03-16-2013 08:47 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(03-16-2013 08:36 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Maryland is purportedly a prize because of markets. I suspect what made Maryland worth an upfront payment was cracking the ACC veneer. B1G couldn't budge UVA, UNC, GT, FSU just as SEC couldn't budge UT or TAMU and used Arkansas to crack the foundation.

I lived in Washington DC for almost 4 decades. It is a marvelous sports town. DC really supports sports.

It is a "national city" in the respect that alumni from all the states live there via the legislative and the consequent national organizations (lobbyists) and many schools from many states have a "branch office" there for extension programs. I knew Sunday which college team won because I would then see the T-Shirts pop out on Sunday folloing a victory.

Maryland is going to move DC from an "ACC" oriented town to a B1G oriented town....and I believe the B1G and Maryland pull will be so strong, that Virginia, Va TEch, and NC cannot ignore B1G.

For what it is worth, Both Maryland and Virginia considered themselves easterns schools. As an aside, so does Georgetown. It is this eastern orientation of the C7 schools and BE football playing schools that I felt the Nbe proposal would not work.

I live in DC and if you think DC is going to be a Big Ten town because of Maryland, and pull on VA and VT, you are smoking some awesome stuff.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - JRsec - 03-16-2013 11:02 AM

(03-16-2013 10:41 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(03-16-2013 08:30 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  20-30 million? Conveniently probably the same amount Maryland ends up paying to the ACC as an exit fee.

No the 20-30 Million PLUS the original $20M. The B1G is just covering the difference from the original exit fee to the higher exit fee the Maryland will have to pay, because Maryland and the B1G DO NOT want the lawsuit to go to trial. If the truth comes out, Maryland and the B1G might find themselves on the short end of several other lawsuits.
What this sounds like to me is that the Big 10 realized that Maryland was going to get hit with the full $52 million and after making them an offer and taking Rutgers as their travel companion that 1.they need to do this so as not to have Maryland back out and screw things up, or 2. (more likely) it was an agreed upon contingency if it looked like the exit penalty was going to stick.

Either way it looks like somebody at Big 10 headquarters feels the $52 million is going to stick. If so then instead of making further raids against the ACC more likely it will have the exact opposite effect. It makes more ACC movement less likely. Next time it won't be an agreement for 30 million, it will have to be more and then multiply it by 2 teams. Ditto for the SEC.

Even if Maryland is getting out for a reduced fee, only one other team may leave for that amount and that is F.S.U.. So in that event the ACC stands to lose no more than one more school worst case scenario. This may explain why Notre Dame went ahead with its early entry and why Slive seems to be cooling his expansion comments.

I believe if any more schools are taken at this point they will either be taken from the existing Big East, or from the ranks of independents.

RE: Maryland to get $20M-$30M travel subsidy in B1G - bluesox - 03-16-2013 11:04 AM

SO 3m in travel in the acc vs 6m in the big 10 for maryland. Not a bad move considering the big 10 makes what 15-20m more than the acc per year? Throw in this free travel subsidy to help pay any exit fee.