CSNbbs
Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase (/thread-618653.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - CW Fishman - 02-14-2013 01:19 PM

Thanks to the RCAF, the Athletic budget at Louisiana is increasing. The budget was 17.5M for the past year. This is in spite of the fact that university administration voluntarily reduced the subsidy by 1 million to help with budget cuts. (If I remember correctly, athletics absorbed about 1/3 of the overall state mandated budget cuts at UL.) I have heard that the budget will approach 20 million in the next couple of years. A few years back the athletic budget at UL was less than 10 M. We have issues like everyone, but we are making progress. Below is a link to the budget repaort to the state.

http://app1.lla.state.la.us/PublicReports.nsf/E27229AACA145E9786257AFC0074B95E/$FILE/0002F067.pdf

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - TOPPERSonTOP - 02-14-2013 02:02 PM

Very good for UL. You guys are going to become a great athletics school.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - mathenis89 - 02-14-2013 02:07 PM

Will be interesting to see how it will affect ULL's programs.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - KAjunRaider - 02-14-2013 02:10 PM

(02-14-2013 01:19 PM)CW Fishman Wrote:  Thanks to the RCAF, the Athletic budget at Louisiana is increasing. The budget was 17.5M for the past year. This is in spite of the fact that university administration voluntarily reduced the subsidy by 1 million to help with budget cuts. (If I remember correctly, athletics absorbed about 1/3 of the overall state mandated budget cuts at UL.) I have heard that the budget will approach 20 million in the next couple of years. A few years back the athletic budget at UL was less than 10 M. We have issues like everyone, but we are making progress. Below is a link to the budget repaort to the state.

http://app1.lla.state.la.us/PublicReports.nsf/E27229AACA145E9786257AFC0074B95E/$FILE/0002F067.pdf

Y'all should have given some of that increase to your softball coach.

He was the real deal.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - Complacent Cajun - 02-14-2013 02:17 PM

(02-14-2013 02:10 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  
(02-14-2013 01:19 PM)CW Fishman Wrote:  Thanks to the RCAF, the Athletic budget at Louisiana is increasing. The budget was 17.5M for the past year. This is in spite of the fact that university administration voluntarily reduced the subsidy by 1 million to help with budget cuts. (If I remember correctly, athletics absorbed about 1/3 of the overall state mandated budget cuts at UL.) I have heard that the budget will approach 20 million in the next couple of years. A few years back the athletic budget at UL was less than 10 M. We have issues like everyone, but we are making progress. Below is a link to the budget repaort to the state.

He was the real deal.

Some went towards our football DC hire. I love our softball program, and wish we had a competent AD to hold everything together while we continue growing our budget. Promises from AD to SB coach weren't kept, and he had enough.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - KAjunRaider - 02-14-2013 02:49 PM

(02-14-2013 02:17 PM)Complacent Cajun Wrote:  

He was the real deal.

Some went towards our football DC hire. I love our softball program, and wish we had a competent AD to hold everything together while we continue growing our budget. Promises from AD to SB coach weren't kept, and he had enough.

One of my good friends is a Cajun fan, and he was very disappointed.

Surprised the UL AD could not make the softball coach happy.

Hoping we can get our softball off the ground after the new hire.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - OwlFamily - 02-14-2013 03:04 PM

No offense to the Softball teams but honestly improving Football hires will do WAY more for the university then a succesful Softball program.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - CrazyCajun - 02-14-2013 03:05 PM

(02-14-2013 02:17 PM)Complacent Cajun Wrote:  

He was the real deal.

No money from the budget went to DC James Willis, the funds were raised externally from RCAF. No request were made to raise funds externally for the softball coach and no calls were made to major softball donors.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - CajunAmos - 02-14-2013 03:28 PM

I'd wonder if football itself would ever be a profit making sport without being able to benefit from a large TV contract and/or participation in a BCS bowl game. Typical bowls are a money losing proposition.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - GoApps70 - 02-14-2013 04:12 PM

(02-14-2013 03:28 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  I'd wonder if football itself would ever be a profit making sport without being able to benefit from a large TV contract and/or participation in a BCS bowl game. Typical bowls are a money losing proposition.

It's great that they are able to increase their athletic budget, will help them in all areas.

So how are you going to get your TV contract upped?
Will not happen unless the SB works on it.
An overall winning conference year after year could do that maybe.
Your presidents sitting still and being reactive instead of proactive will not do it.
Bringing in NMSU and/or Idaho will not do it.
Not able to raid other conferences will not get a higher TV payout.
Keeping the conference at 8 members, maybe 5 or 6 soon, will not do it.
So what would hopefully get the SB TV contract off life support?

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - CW Fishman - 02-14-2013 04:29 PM

I am not sure why our budget is relevant to anything in your post. We are CURRENT SBC members and as of today your school is not, so why are you telling us what our school should be doing? As long as we are members of the SBC, raising our athletic budget is good for the conference, as it is for the university. As far as who the conference should or should not add; I have no interest in discussing that issue and it is not relevant to the discussion I brought up. Does every thread on this forum have to highjacked to include a discussion of conference expansion?

(02-14-2013 04:12 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  
(02-14-2013 03:28 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  I'd wonder if football itself would ever be a profit making sport without being able to benefit from a large TV contract and/or participation in a BCS bowl game. Typical bowls are a money losing proposition.

It's great that they are able to increase their athletic budget, will help them in all areas.

Your presidents sitting still and being reactive instead of proactive will not do it.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - FIU4Ever - 02-14-2013 05:51 PM

(02-14-2013 04:29 PM)CW Fishman Wrote:  I am not sure why our budget is relevant to anything in your post. We are CURRENT SBC members and as of today your school is not, so why are you telling us what our school should be doing? As long as we are members of the SBC, raising our athletic budget is good for the conference, as it is for the university. As far as who the conference should or should not add; I have no interest in discussing that issue and it is not relevant to the discussion I brought up. Does every thread on this forum have to highjacked to include a discussion of conference expansion?

You guys have a budget, Appy State has a budget, budget has the word "get", Appy State want to get into the Sun Belt then segue into realignment. 03-lmfao03-lmfao

It doesn't matter what the thread is really about, they will find a way to make it about them.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - CrazyCajun - 02-14-2013 06:03 PM

Okay, so please explain how adding any program at this time increases the Sun Belt TV contract? The current offer for the Big East is at $20 mil per year. That comes out to about $2mil per team in the Big East. Now the market is pretty much set below the Big East once that contract is signed, with CUSA, SBC and the MAC getting nothing more then what we have today. So right now the best thing to do for UL and the SBC is to split that revenue amongst two more programs? Heck no!

Should two SBC programs get invites and, App. State and Georgia Southern enter as replacements, do you actually think that the networks will automatically add more money to the SBC TV contract? As long as the confernces above the SBC have been devalued, the SBC will remain with a similar TV contract.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - TeKERaider - 02-14-2013 06:24 PM

Every thread is 6 degrees of FCS seperation. Pimpin aint easy.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - GoApps70 - 02-14-2013 07:26 PM

I have posted on here for years, like I do with many boards. I have posted on here longer than many of you. Why do you assume it is something about conference expansion? You know what they say about assume with the a$$ and u and me. When you have someone complaining about the SB TV contract then the obvious question is what will be done about it. Do not see anything about adding Georgia Southern or my school. Do not think that will ever happen like I said earlier. Think SB will stay at 8 maximum by adding NMSU. They are not going to try and compete, just give up. Question is, how will that help. Why do you want to turn that into something about expansion? Must have that on your minds. Besides most of you are already going to CUSA so we know you don't care. You just want to gripe. Guess no one can realistically answer that question that a Cajun fan posed.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - FIU4Ever - 02-14-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:I'd wonder if football itself would ever be a profit making sport without being able to benefit from a large TV contract and/or participation in a BCS bowl game.

Seems he was asking if a football program can be profitable without a large TV contract. Didn't read a complaint about tv contract or asking for advice on upping the contract.

But maybe I missed something in the two lines he wrote. But what do I know, you have been posting on the this board longer than I have.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - GoApps70 - 02-14-2013 08:29 PM

Seems to be in the context of his program within the Sun Belt relative to the fact that a Sun Belt TV contract doesn't really bring in enough money to help very much with making it profitable.
But what do I know, I am just pimpin (for what reason I wouldn't know, because no one on here can make a decision about anything.)

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - airtroop - 02-14-2013 08:47 PM

Hoorah for the RCAF!!! Once again, the Royal Canadian Air Force comes through!!! Just playin'. 'Grats to the Cajuns & their fans.

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - CrazyCajun - 02-14-2013 10:05 PM

(02-14-2013 08:29 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Seems to be in the context of his program within the Sun Belt relative to the fact that a Sun Belt TV contract doesn't really bring in enough money to help very much with making it profitable.
But what do I know, I am just pimpin (for what reason I wouldn't know, because no one on here can make a decision about anything.)

The answer to his question is no, most football programs outside maybe 10 or so in the NCAA can honestly prove they are making money. I haven't seen recent numbers, but back in 2009 I read a list in the USA Today of NCAA football operating budgets, actual expenses and actual revenue generated. I don't remember all the program, but I do remember a few of the programs at the time that were actually running in the black.

LSU
Alabama
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Florida
USC
Michigan
Florida State
Texas

RE: Ragin Cajun athletic budget sees big increase - CW Fishman - 02-14-2013 10:35 PM

You brought up conference expansion. Nothing in your posting is relevant to the topic I brought up. Can't we have a discussion that involves OUR conference members without you derailing it? Since you brought it up though, personally, I would much prefer adding NMSU who helped build this conference and helped it survive during tough times than a bunch of newbies.

(02-14-2013 07:26 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  I have posted on here for years, like I do with many boards. I have posted on here longer than many of you. Why do you assume it is something about conference expansion? You know what they say about assume with the a$$ and u and me. When you have someone complaining about the SB TV contract then the obvious question is what will be done about it. Do not see anything about adding Georgia Southern or my school. Do not think that will ever happen like I said earlier. Think SB will stay at 8 maximum by adding NMSU. They are not going to try and compete, just give up. Question is, how will that help. Why do you want to turn that into something about expansion? Must have that on your minds. Besides most of you are already going to CUSA so we know you don't care. You just want to gripe. Guess no one can realistically answer that question that a Cajun fan posed.