CSNbbs
Big East TV contract - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Big East TV contract (/thread-617962.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Big East TV contract - JCCNIU31 - 02-10-2013 05:33 PM

Big money

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=8932681

RE: Big East TV contract - UIHuskie - 02-10-2013 05:45 PM

(02-10-2013 05:33 PM)JCCNIU31 Wrote:  Big money

That's not really big money anymore. It's only about $2 million a year per school according to the article and is about $1 million less per year than their current deal. UConn has to be in a complete panic.

RE: Big East TV contract - Poliicious - 02-10-2013 05:46 PM

Yes no doubt compared to what the league gets now from ESPN, $2M per team is a big increase but so would the travel costs for NIU. Cincy is the closest current member and they are looking for greener pastures(may not get to them but they are looking) and the next closest is Memphis. Road trips to UConn, Army, Navy, ECU, UCF, USF, Houston, Tulane and SMU will eat up alot of that money.

On the flip side, NIU might be able to recruit better talent playing conference members in states that produce more football and significant hoops talent.

But as far as qualifiying for the 1 nonAQ spot being made available in the current agreement for a BCS bowl bid, being in the BE would not benefit NIU at all vs the MAC

RE: Big East TV contract - Poliicious - 02-10-2013 05:47 PM

(02-10-2013 05:45 PM)UIHuskie Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 05:33 PM)JCCNIU31 Wrote:  Big money

That's not really big money anymore. It's only about $2 million a year per school according to the article and is about $1 million less per year than their current deal. UConn has to be in a complete panic.

What about Temple who paid the MAC $6M to leave a year earlier thinking they were going to hit a major payday04-jawdrop

RE: Big East TV contract - PeoriaHuskie11 - 02-10-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:Just two years ago, the Big East turned down a nine-year deal from ESPN worth $1.17 billion, an average of $130 million annually. Since then the bottom has fallen out for the league, which has had 16 schools announce they were leaving during that time.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: Big East TV contract - HuskieRak - 02-10-2013 06:33 PM

Still a lot more than the MAC hands out to their schools each year. Which is what.. like 100k?
The Big East might be the losers in conference expansion and might've lost a **** load of money in the process, but they are still sitting a lot prettier than the MAC is. Which goes to show you how crappy of a conference the MAC really is.

RE: Big East TV contract - NIUSox10 - 02-10-2013 06:56 PM

(02-10-2013 06:33 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Still a lot more than the MAC hands out to their schools each year. Which is what.. like 100k?
The Big East might be the losers in conference expansion and might've lost a **** load of money in the process, but they are still sitting a lot prettier than the MAC is. Which goes to show you how crappy of a conference the MAC really is.

TV money is about markets. The MAC has 3 michigan schools and 6 ohio schools, both in states with Goliath football followings of the major state school. What do you expect? We are a meatball bus league.

RE: Big East TV contract - MaddDawgz02 - 02-10-2013 08:20 PM

(02-10-2013 06:33 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Still a lot more than the MAC hands out to their schools each year. Which is what.. like 100k?

The BIg East is on the verge of folding, I think the MAC is in a better position.

RE: Big East TV contract - MidnightBlueGold - 02-10-2013 09:18 PM

They might get more money, but I bet the MAC saves a sh-t load of money on travel expenses. Look at how far apart all the nBE schools are - that is a lot of flying/chartered flights. The MAC can take a lot of bus trips, which I bet is waayyy cheaper than flying.

RE: Big East TV contract - bikechuck - 02-10-2013 10:19 PM

The MAC could have a better TV contract if all of the schools could build their fan base and attendance. Broadcasting games in front of crowds of less than 10,000 in stadiums that seat over 20,000 is not must see TV. It is a conference wide problem. The talent is there and the competition is pretty good.

RE: Big East TV contract - MaddDawgz02 - 02-10-2013 10:23 PM

(02-10-2013 10:19 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  The MAC could have a better TV contract if all of the schools could build their fan base and attendance. Broadcasting games in front of crowds of less than 10,000 in stadiums that seat over 20,000 is not must see TV. It is a conference wide problem. The talent is there and the competition is pretty good.

Many Big East games are no better attendance wise. The conference will be gone in 2 years, its folding.

RE: Big East TV contract - bikechuck - 02-10-2013 10:29 PM

I just wish that the students and alums of MAC schools would wake up and embrace MAC football. I can't tell you how often I hear BGSU, Miami, and Ohio grads in Ohio refer to their schools as being "just a MAC" school. Show some pride Damn it!

RE: Big East TV contract - MidnightBlueGold - 02-10-2013 10:37 PM

(02-10-2013 10:29 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  I just wish that the students and alums of MAC schools would wake up and embrace MAC football. I can't tell you how often I hear BGSU, Miami, and Ohio grads in Ohio refer to their schools as being "just a MAC" school. Show some pride Damn it!

It's because of Oh-Lie-Oh-State in Columbus. The media in Ohio forces 0$U down our throats as kids, so you have almost no choice but to root for them. In grade school we had 'Ohio State-Michigan Day' where you could wear an 0$U or scUM shirt to school instead of our uniform. How are kids supposed to know of other teams when society only talks about 2 schools? It's so frickin' annoying.

RE: Big East TV contract - bikechuck - 02-10-2013 11:06 PM

(02-10-2013 10:37 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 10:29 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  I just wish that the students and alums of MAC schools would wake up and embrace MAC football. I can't tell you how often I hear BGSU, Miami, and Ohio grads in Ohio refer to their schools as being "just a MAC" school. Show some pride Damn it!

It's because of Oh-Lie-Oh-State in Columbus. The media in Ohio forces 0$U down our throats as kids, so you have almost no choice but to root for them. In grade school we had 'Ohio State-Michigan Day' where you could wear an 0$U or scUM shirt to school instead of our uniform. How are kids supposed to know of other teams when society only talks about 2 schools? It's so frickin' annoying.

I understand that is a big part of the problem in Ohio but it is a conference wide problem. There is not a single MAC school that draws as well as it should given the level of football that is played in the conference. Perhaps it will always be so but I hate the word always. You would think that the alumni base is growing for each of these instututions and that there would be some way to grow the fan base. I suggested once before that the conference work on this collectively but many thought that was a dumb idea.

RE: Big East TV contract - MidnightBlueGold - 02-10-2013 11:16 PM

(02-10-2013 11:06 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  

I understand that is a big part of the problem in Ohio but it is a conference wide problem. There is not a single MAC school that draws as well as it should given the level of football that is played in the conference. Perhaps it will always be so but I hate the word always. You would think that the alumni base is growing for each of these instututions and that there would be some way to grow the fan base. I suggested once before that the conference work on this collectively but many thought that was a dumb idea.

It would be great if the MAC (both the conference and individual teams) would work together to promote and grow all fan bases.

RE: Big East TV contract - Poliicious - 02-10-2013 11:50 PM

One guy in Chicago sports radio that really pi$$e$ me off is Dan McNeil of WSCR. he's a BSU grad and all he whines about all day is how he wished he went to a B10 school. He' s more of an Iowa fan than anything. Hey Dan what about the Cardinals beating their in state Big 10 rival (Indiana) for the 3rd straight time in 2012, what about the Cardinals beating South Florida and putting 27 pts up on Clemson the 2nd best team in the ACC?

You'd think a sports talk guy would show more pride in this school than constantly pining for B10 programs.

RE: Big East TV contract - JCCNIU31 - 02-10-2013 11:51 PM

(02-10-2013 11:16 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

It would be great if the MAC (both the conference and individual teams) would work together to promote and grow all fan bases.

Hard to do in states like Ohio and Michigan where Ohio state and Michigan are king. In Illinois not so much an issue except that Bears are king.

RE: Big East TV contract - Poliicious - 02-10-2013 11:53 PM

(02-10-2013 11:51 PM)JCCNIU31 Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 11:16 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

Hard to do in states like Ohio and Michigan where Ohio state and Michigan are king. In Illinois not so much an issue except that Bears are king.

The college sports that have much traction in Illinois are TSISB football and Illinois hoops. Sad

RE: Big East TV contract - MaddDawgz02 - 02-11-2013 06:06 AM

Didnt they recently change Ohio State Day at UT to a Ohio State Appreciation Month?

RE: Big East TV contract - HuskieRak - 02-11-2013 08:18 AM

(02-10-2013 10:23 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 10:19 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  The MAC could have a better TV contract if all of the schools could build their fan base and attendance. Broadcasting games in front of crowds of less than 10,000 in stadiums that seat over 20,000 is not must see TV. It is a conference wide problem. The talent is there and the competition is pretty good.

Many Big East games are no better attendance wise. The conference will be gone in 2 years, its folding.

No. Do some research before you blurt out **** from your mouth. The league is not folding either.
ECU averages almost 50k.
Houston -27k
UCF - 35k
SMU (22k) and Tulane (18k) have issues.
Cincy - 29k
UConn - 34k
Temple- 26k
USF - 42k

Best MAC attendance was probably Ohio or Toledo and that's a 22k average at most probably