CSNbbs
OT: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game." - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: OT: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game." (/thread-615866.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

OT: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game." - EagleRockCafe - 01-29-2013 01:45 PM

"I don't really live on numbers, I really live on impact and what youre able to do out on the field. I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game."-- Randy Moss

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8893843/super-bowl-2013-randy-moss-says-greatest-wr-ever-play

Anyone agree with Moss? I have to go with former 49er Jerry Rice myself.

RE: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game." - 99Tiger - 01-29-2013 01:50 PM

(01-29-2013 01:45 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  "I don't really live on numbers, I really live on impact and what youre able to do out on the field. I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game."-- Randy Moss

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8893843/super-bowl-2013-randy-moss-says-greatest-wr-ever-play

I would say Rice has a LARGE lead on whoever the contenders for 2nd best are. The only guys playing now who have ANY chance of dethroning Rice are Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald...and I think their chances are slim (partially because of their respective teams).

Moss is (OK, was) insanely talented, but his lack of dedication and number of plays taken off make him ineligible for that spot.

RE: OT: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever... - MU ATO - 01-29-2013 01:55 PM

I would give the nod to Rice but Moss is a very close 2nd and honestly if I had to choose a deep threat I pick Moss or a game winning catch Id also pick Moss or if I was just picking teams Id pick Moss based on his abilities. Like I said greatest of all time Id still go with Rice but most talented, biggest deep threat, and most likely to dominate you all while being double covered (to this day even) is Moss.

... - Chappy - 01-29-2013 01:57 PM

Imagine Randy Moss with Jerry Rice's work ethic.

RE:OT: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game." - stinkfist - 01-29-2013 01:58 PM

(01-29-2013 01:45 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  "I don't really live on numbers, I really live on impact and what youre able to do out on the field. I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game."-- Randy Moss

Jerry Rice any way you chop it up....IMHO

Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game." - GCEagle - 01-29-2013 02:24 PM

Rice is not only the greatest receiver of all time, he is arguably the greatest player of all time. Moss is good, but he is nothing compared to Rice.

RE: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game." - 99Tiger - 01-29-2013 02:35 PM

(01-29-2013 02:24 PM)GCEagle Wrote:  Rice is not only the greatest receiver of all time, he is arguably the greatest player of all time. Moss is good, but he is nothing compared to Rice.

I would argue he is. Nobody else at any position has been that far above what anyone else has been able to do.

RE: ... - wh49er - 01-29-2013 02:41 PM

(01-29-2013 01:57 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Imagine Randy Moss with Jerry Rice's work ethic.

His name is Calvin Johnson.

RE: ... - 99Tiger - 01-29-2013 02:44 PM

(01-29-2013 02:41 PM)wh49er Wrote:  
(01-29-2013 01:57 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Imagine Randy Moss with Jerry Rice's work ethic.

It's a shame he plays for Detroit. Pair him with a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or a Manning or the results could be truly amazing.

He has a chance to enter the argument, that's for sure.

RE: ... - MU ATO - 01-29-2013 03:31 PM

03-lmfao ... No

RE: OT: Randy Moss. - jaredf29 - 01-29-2013 03:53 PM

It's definitely Jerry Rice.

RE: ... - GrayBeard - 01-29-2013 03:54 PM

(01-29-2013 02:44 PM)99Tiger Wrote:  

It's a shame he plays for Detroit. Pair him with a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or a Manning or the results could be truly amazing.

He has a chance to enter the argument, that's for sure.

It's a shame that anyone has to play in detroit.

Also, when Randy Moss get's to do his introduction for the SuperBowl, will he continue with his stupid "Rand University" stuff?

RE: OT: Randy Moss. - blazers9911 - 01-29-2013 04:14 PM

(01-29-2013 03:53 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  

It's definitely Jerry Rice.

I think Calvin Johnson has a chance to go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game. Larry Fitzgerald is a victim of circumstances right now, but with a QB his stats can still get way up there. Another guy who has put up huge numbers pretty quietly is Andre Johnson. If he didn't have so many injuries, he might have 13,000 in ten seasons. As it is, he's over 11,000 and might get to 20,000 in his career. Calvin Johnson is on pace to get very close to Rice's yardage mark. He is also in the ball park on receptions. The one thing these guys aren't doing is catching TD's at the rate Rice did. That record seems ridiculously tough to touch. One thing about Rice, A. Johnson, and Fitz is they don't fumble much. C. Johnson is a little more careless with the ball.(more fumbles lost than Fitz and A. Johnson combined)

Until we see one of these guys close in on Rice, there is no argument. Randy Moss was a freak of nature at his best, and a piss poor teammate at his worst. He put up tremendous numbers, but it's very difficult to even begin to argue he was better than Rice.

RE: ... - wh49er - 01-29-2013 04:14 PM

(01-29-2013 03:31 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  03-lmfao ... No

Astute response

RE: ... - EdM - 01-29-2013 04:27 PM

That's something I've thought about a few times since he was here with the Herd. He is one of the most freakishly talented players to ever play in the NFL, but has always been limited by his own demons. In many ways, I think his incredible talent facilitated that. He never really had to learn to work hard to overcome things because he was just a level above everyone else.

I'm convinced that one of the reasons many high potential players fizzle out in college is because it's the first time they're actually required to work in order to keep up. The fact that Moss was able to continue to coast a bit and still be as successful as he has been, even at the very top level of the sport, is a testament to just how talented he was. Sadly, it's also a reminder of how truly great he could have been.

So yeah...Rice. Talented though he was, he wasn't quite the most...but he was the best. His work ethic, professionalism, and his on-field intelligence demonstrate that there is more than just top level talent involved in being the greatest. In many ways, it kind of reminds me of a certain quarterback that played with him at the height of their respective careers.

RE: ... - r2pirate - 01-29-2013 05:28 PM

Ask New England.......QB would not even throw to him.......team finally cut him.....best ever..............please! Maybe not top 10......ability only small part of it.......WR Cedric Jones, former captain and player for Duke, played his entire career for New England, retired, and went to work for NFL..... quality and not quantity......Moss and others like him are only fly by nighters who move from team to team (my opinion so Mu trolls (Muto, etc.) try to control yourselves and I will respect your opinion, too).

RE: OT: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver - shiftyeagle - 01-29-2013 05:40 PM

Jerry Rice is the greatest ever and it's really not even close.

Randy Moss - TheEastisPurple - 01-29-2013 05:54 PM

They are both very good but I think people are over simplifying the differences.

Jerry Rice wasn't some out of left field Cinderella story, he was a 1st round 16th overall pick (Moss was 1st round 21st overall). Randy Moss has always faced accusations of taking plays off or not having the greatest work ethic but you can't tell me he got to where he is on talent alone. I also don't believe that New England would add a guy who wasn't trying.

Numbers don't lie but you have to look into them a bit too. Both players had very similar seasons in at their peak. Both played well after they had peaked (Jerry Rice in particular) so while JR finished with much better numbers because he played 6 more years RM has some better per catch/ per season averages because he wasn't still playing when he was 42 years old (yet).

I would say talent and importance to the team wise they are very equal. Nostalgia, total stats, and perhaps likability give JR a big advantage in the eyes of most.

RE:OT: Randy Moss.."I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game." - stinkfist - 01-29-2013 06:01 PM

The game is so much different today than it was then. Bill Walsh was lucky to have him since I believe it was that offense coupled with Rice that helped make the game what it is today. Forget the stats. He changed the game. To me, that is what makes him the greatest player in NFL history.

I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game - panama - 01-29-2013 06:07 PM

Jerry Rice
Tim Bown
Chris Carter