CSNbbs
Some history of our schools - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Some history of our schools (/thread-613941.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Some history of our schools - SgtGoldenEagle - 01-18-2013 01:33 PM

Just for the information purposes and fun of how things happen, I thought it might be helpful to post some history of our schools that might enlighten others.

My school is the University of Southern Mississippi which was founded in 1910 and began football in 1912. We have had 2 of our football coaches make the College Football Hall of Fame, fought for recognition in our own state with Ole Miss and Miss. State even playing them regularly until we started beating them too much. We have had 2 stretches of 17 and 18 winning seasons and since 1935 have had only 9 losing seasons. Only one coach has failed to win a single game as head coach of our football team (any guess who that is). Several more impressive things I will let others post but just wanted to get it started.

In basketball we have less accomplishments, but we have been to 3 NCAA tourney games although losing all of them, we are hoping for number 4 and our first tourney win. M.K. Turk was the coach that lead us to winning the NIT and built our program up only to allow his own demise to take it backwards for awhile.

Baseball we have been in regionals almost every year for more than a decade, went to the College World Series.

That is all I will post but hopefully others will add to it, and some of the lesser known facts of all C-USA might be added to here.

RE: Some history of our schools - stinkfist - 01-18-2013 01:52 PM

Pre Metro (did not include football) and CUSA we were INDY. We played MSU in Jackson's Memorial Stadium for an 8 year stretch...won 6 of them...the first being the 1981 memorable 7-6 victory where we both finished as top twenty teams...every game was a kick in the ass and is easily my favorite continuous stretch of games to have witnessed...fk Ole Miss

RE: Some history of our schools - SgtGoldenEagle - 01-18-2013 01:56 PM

(01-18-2013 01:52 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  Pre Metro (did not include football) and CUSA we were INDY. We played MSU in Jackson's Memorial Stadium for an 8 year stretch...won 6 of them...the first being the 1981 memorable 7-6 victory where we both finished as top twenty teams...every game was a kick in the ass and is easily my favorite continuous stretch of games to have witnessed...fk Ole Miss

I went to the USM @ Ole Miss game in 82 as an USM Student. It was the absolute worse experience I ever had at all the games I have attended in my life, as glass beer bottles rained into our section from the Ole Miss Student Section. The lady behind me had to be taken for stitches when one of the glass bottles hit her and shattered in her face. It got to where we didn't care about watching the game but rather surviving it.

RE: Some history of our schools - stinkfist - 01-18-2013 02:07 PM

(01-18-2013 01:56 PM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  
(01-18-2013 01:52 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  Pre Metro (did not include football) and CUSA we were INDY. We played MSU in Jackson's Memorial Stadium for an 8 year stretch...won 6 of them...the first being the 1981 memorable 7-6 victory where we both finished as top twenty teams...every game was a kick in the ass and is easily my favorite continuous stretch of games to have witnessed...fk Ole Miss

I went to the USM @ Ole Miss game in 82 as an USM Student. It was the absolute worse experience I ever had at all the games I have attended in my life, as glass beer bottles rained into our section from the Ole Miss Student Section. The lady behind me had to be taken for stitches when one of the glass bottles hit her and shattered in her face. It got to where we didn't care about watching the game but rather surviving it.

vaught hemingway is an abortion to visit....like I said, fk 'em

RE: Some history of our schools - AndreWhere - 01-18-2013 02:28 PM

I would add:

USM is a top 30 program in, winning percentage in FBS and has been since at least 1989.

We're one of the top 5 schools with a directional name by any measure, athletic or academic.

We've been to the Sun, Liberty, Independence, and Capital One bowls (using current names) in addition to most of the current CUSA bowls. In fact, we've been to each of the games I mentioned at least twice.

We won a game against ECU by committing an intentional penalty. Rules have since been changed.

We have the fifth longest home winning streak in men's basketball.

We've beaten more top 10 teams in football than I can count... I've seen it in person twice.

USM is one of two teams to beat Bear Bryant in Tuscaloosa. We snapped a record-setting streak there.

Reggie Collier was the first college player with 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards rushing in one season.

We were Louisville's only loss in 1990. They were our only (regular season) loss in 1981. Strangely, each of these one- loss teams also tied Alabama.

The all-time Mississippi sports attendance record is ~64,000 for a State-vs.-USM matchup in Jackson. USM won 30-14.

Our first football victory over an SEC foe was in 1947.

We've taken two in a row from LSU in football and ten of our last fifteen from Mississippi State.

We won the 2001 CUSA basketball tourney.

We beat both MSU and Ole Miss in football in 77, 79, 80, and 83. (We don't play much anymore.)

RE: Some history of our schools - oldtiger - 01-18-2013 02:32 PM

(01-18-2013 02:07 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

The last time I went to Oxford they had just installed new end zone seats and numbered the rows with stickers that immediately came unglued. It was a disaster finding a seat. They were also pouring Cokes from liter bottles in the concession stands.....but that's been a few years ago.

Ever been to the bathrooms in the stadium in Starkville? They have a concrete trough at ground level that runs around the walls that serves as the urinal. If you slip on the already wet floor, you could slide into the trough and end up at Ingalls Shipyard.

RE: Some history of our schools - stinkfist - 01-18-2013 02:36 PM

(01-18-2013 02:28 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I would add:

USM is a top 30 program in, winning percentage in FBS and has been since at least 1989.

We're one of the top 5 schools with a directional name by any measure, athletic or academic.

We've been to the Sun, Liberty, Independence, and Capital One bowls (using current names) in addition to most of the current CUSA bowls. In fact, we've been to each of the games I mentioned at least twice.

We won a game against ECU by committing an intentional penalty. Rules have since been changed.

We've beaten more top 10 teams in football than I can count... I've seen it in person twice.

USM is one of two teams to beat Bear Bryant in Tuscaloosa. We snapped a record-setting streak there.

Reggie Collier was the first college player with 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards rushing in one season.

We were Louisville's only loss in 1990. They were our only (regular season) loss in 1981. Strangely, each of these one- loss teams also tied Alabama.

The all-time Mississippi sports attendance record is ~64,000 for a State-vs.-USM matchup in Jackson. USM won 30-14.

We've taken two in a row from LSU in football and ten of our last fifteen from Mississippi State.

We beat both MSU and Ole Miss in football in 77, 79, 80, and 83. (We don't play much anymore.)

nice post chief.....enlighten about the ECU one....the only one I don't remember of those that fall into the 'memorable' category.

RE: Some history of our schools - AndreWhere - 01-18-2013 02:39 PM

Old rule: the game can't end on a penalty.

New rule: the game can't end on a DEFENSIVE penalty.

What happened was that our QB intentionally threw an illegal pass with 0:00 on the clock. We got another play out of it, which we used to kick a game-winning FG.

There was also a time where the MM Roberts sprinkler system turned on during a game against ECU. I do not remember the details, except that ECU really felt like they'd gotten screwed after that game.

RE: Some history of our schools - stinkfist - 01-18-2013 02:46 PM

(01-18-2013 02:32 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

The last time I went to Oxford they had just installed new end zone seats and numbered the rows with stickers that immediately came unglued. It was a disaster finding a seat. They were also pouring Cokes from liter bottles in the concession stands.....but that's been a few years ago.

Ever been to the bathrooms in the stadium in Starkville? They have a concrete trough at ground level that runs around the walls that serves as the urinal. If you slip on the already wet floor, you could slide into the trough and end up at Ingalls Shipyard.

...sounds like ours was.....we had communal hand washing station too (that I drunkedly mistook for urinal)...lmfao

However, the goons did start remodeling ours mid season '11...funny thing is it took them almost a year to finish....why would you start a remodel during a 6 home game season....is rhetorical

...still laughing to Ingalls right now

RE: Some history of our schools - Yes I Am A Pirate - 01-18-2013 02:56 PM

(01-18-2013 02:39 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  Old rule: the game can't end on a penalty.

What happened was that our QB intentionally threw an illegal pass with 0:00 on the clock. We got another play out of it, which we used to kick a game-winning FG.

There was also a time where the MM Roberts sprinkler system turned on during a game against ECU. I do not remember the details, except that ECU really felt like they'd gotten screwed after that game.

If the offensive team declines the penalty the game is over.

RE: Some history of our schools - MUTeke - 01-18-2013 03:07 PM

Marshall- founded in 1837 and named Marshall Academy and then Marshall College by the Virginia General Assembly. Closed during much of the Civil War and reopened as the State Normal College at Marshall College in 1867 by the new West Virginia Legislature. Became Marshall University in 1961.

The first football team at Marshall took the field in 1895. Marshall did not field a team in 1918 due to WWI and from 1943-45 due to WWII.

On Nov. 14th, 1970, 75 members of the football team, coaches, MU administrators, fans and flight crew were killed in a plane crash coming home from Greenville, NC. The Young Thundering Herd fielded a team of mostly freshman the next year and pulled off a win against Xavier in their first home game after the crash. The story would later be captured in a 2006 Warner Brothers movie titled "We Are Marshall".

In the years after the crash, Marshall's football team would play in 6 Div. 1-AA National Championship games winning two, go undefeated twice, win 8 conference championships, 7 Bowl games and produce three Heisman Trophy Candidates(2 finalists). Marshall's record at Joan C. Edwards Stadium is the highest winning percentage(.866) in all of FBS football. JCE Stadium is one of only two NCAA Division 1 stadiums named exclusively for a woman.

Notable Players: Randy Moss, Chad Pennington, Ahmad Bradshaw, Byron Leftwich

Marshall Basketball has been to both the NCAA Tournament and the NIT five times. The Herd won the NAIA National Championship in 1947. Legendary coach Cam Henderson is credited with being the creator of the modern 2-3 zone defense and the fast break.

Notable Players: Hal Greer, Charlie Slack, Walt Walowac, Russell Lee, Mike D'Antoni

RE: Some history of our schools - TribeNiner - 01-18-2013 05:04 PM

UNC Charlotte was established in 1946 as the Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina. It was originally founded to serve the educational needs of returning WWII veterans. In 1949, the city transformed into a 2-year institution, becoming Charlotte College (also the origin of the nickname "49ers"). The school became a four-year institution in 1963.

Current Enrollment: ~26,000
For athletics purposes, the school is officially known as "Charlotte."

Some notable people:
Seth Avett of the Avett Brothers
Joe Posnanski (helluva sportswriter)
Chelsea Cooley (Miss USA 2005)
Kimberly Aiken (Miss America 1994)
Clay Aiken (sadly)

Some notable faculty:
Jamie Franki: designer of 2005 American Bison nickel, the forward facing nickel, and the Olympic Medal.
Blair Rudes: professor of linguistics that re-created the extinct language of Virginia Algonquian for the movie The New World.
Kathy Reichs: author and inspiration of the Fox show Bones

Baseball began playing in 1979. We have 5 conference championships, with 4 of them since 2007.

The Men's Golf team won 6 consecutive conference championship from 2006-2011, placing 3rd at Nationals in 2007 and 8th in 2008. Consensus #1 ranking in the fall of 2007.

The women's basketball team (off to a 12-4 start this year) has won 4 conference championships, most recently in 2009; and went to the WNIT final four last year.

The Women's Soccer team began play in 1994 and has 6 conference championships, with 4 of them coming since 2006.

Men's Indoor Track: 7 conference championships, including 6 since 2006.
Men's Outdoor Track: 4 conference championships, all since 2006.

Women's Indoor Track: 5 conference championships, all since 2006.
Women's Outdoor Track: 5 conference championships, all since 2006.

Men's Soccer: began in 1976. Lost the national championship game to UNC-CHeat in 2011 (got hosed, is more like it). Also made a College Cup appearance in 1996. 7 NCAA tournament appearances (all since 1991), with 5 conference tournament championships and 9 conference regular season championships.

Men's Basketball: began play in 1965 in the NAIA until 1970. Made the NCAA final four in 1977. 11 NCAA tournament appearances, 6 conference tournament championships, and 5 conference regular season championships. Notable players include Cedric Cornbread Maxwell, Eddie Basden, Byron Dinkins, and Rodney White. The most meaningful retired jersey, to me, is Charles Hayward. One of the highest rated high school players to ever attend Charlotte (note, Michael Beasley decommitted and went to KSU, instead), Hayward lost his battle with leukemia while at Charlotte and never got to live up to his vast potential. Truly heartbreaking story to read about.

RE: Some history of our schools - Thegoldstandard - 01-18-2013 05:29 PM

(01-18-2013 02:39 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  Old rule: the game can't end on a penalty.

That was during the Pat Dye era at ECU. ECU was driving to tie the game when the timers started the sprinkler system. dye made a manager stand on one of the heads to keep water off the field till it was turned off.
ECU's qb was former southern miss asst and Sr bowl exe director Steve Hale. I picked at steve many times about that game.

RE: Some history of our schools - Thegoldstandard - 01-18-2013 05:33 PM

(01-18-2013 02:46 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(01-18-2013 02:32 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

...sounds like ours was.....we had communal hand washing station too (that I drunkedly mistook for urinal)...lmfao

However, the goons did start remodeling ours mid season '11...funny thing is it took them almost a year to finish....why would you start a remodel during a 6 home game season....is rhetorical

...still laughing to Ingalls right now

The trough is now a memory. After years of complaints by the students the "Templeton trough" was filled in and modern urinals installed. I wonder what part of the restroom area we could name after our former AD?

RE: Some history of our schools - Thegoldstandard - 01-18-2013 05:50 PM

The defeat of Bama in 82 was one of only 2 home losses and the only non sec loss by Bear Bryant. The streak was 57 consecutive home wins.

In 1990 we became the only non sec team to beat alabama and auburn on their home field in the same year.

Retired Brig Gen Robert Stewart (usm 64) was the first american astronaut to operate unteathered from a spaceflight in 1984 durint the STS 41B mission.

RE: Some history of our schools - AndreWhere - 01-18-2013 07:12 PM

I should correct something in my earlier post: we didn't win the 2001 conference basketball tournament. We won the regular season title for 2000-2001.

RE: Some history of our schools - ecumbh1999 - 01-18-2013 08:52 PM

11-1-1986

RE: Some history of our schools - Timo99 - 01-18-2013 09:02 PM

(01-18-2013 07:12 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I should correct something in my earlier post: we didn't win the 2001 conference basketball tournament. We won the regular season title for 2000-2001.

Charlotte won the 2001 tournament

RE: Some history of our schools - BoutThemDawgs - 01-18-2013 09:05 PM

I couldn't reliably post information about Tech on here, but one thing I do know is that Louisiana Tech University is the only non-aq school to beat the eventual SEC champion during the BCS era and likely will be the only one to have done that. This was done in 1999 in Birmingham on a literal last second pass from Brian Stallworth, our back-up QB, to Sean Cangelosi to bring the score to 29-28 after the PAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDwKiYSRNY

Here is the pass.

RE: Some history of our schools - SgtGoldenEagle - 01-18-2013 09:43 PM

I remember the Marshall plane crash well. I was a senior in high school, and wished I could have had enough talent to have gone there or Wichita State to help rebuild. Just think, my classmate at Columbia High was Walter Payton and if I had had his talent and went to one of them. Oh well, it always fun to think, what if.