CSNbbs
Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies (/thread-613341.html)

Pages: 1 2

Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - OneUChoopsfan - 01-15-2013 06:49 PM

Former University of Cincinnati men’s basketball player Brian Williams died Friday in Columbus, Ohio. He was 59.

Williams was a member of UC’s 1,000-point club (1,066 career points) and averaged 12.5 points and 5.4 rebounds during his three-year career with the Bearcats (1975-77). He was a member of the 1976 and 1977 squads that won back-to-back Metro Conference Tournament Championships and made consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament.

A member of the Ohio Athletic Hall of Fame, Williams was a 1973 graduate of South High School where he helped lead his team to the state tournament as a senior.

Williams was an assistant boys’ basketball coach at Bishop Hartley High School in Columbus, Ohio where he has worked for the past 18 years. The girls’ team wore black head bands in his honor at a recent game. The school’s athletics director, David Thompson, called Williams “one of the top five players in Columbus history,” according to the Columbus Dispatch.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2013/01/15/former-bearcat-brian-williams-dies/

I remember him well. May he rest in peace.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - Ring of Black - 01-15-2013 06:51 PM

Not the best past year or so for basketball alumni 03-weeping Rest in peace Brian...

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - CincyBro - 01-15-2013 07:16 PM

Remember going to Riverfront Coliseum to watch him, Steve Collier, Bob Miller, Mike Jones,etc. They were good teams,
lot of fun to watch. Best game to watch was against Butch Lee led Marquette team that went on to win NC. R.I.P.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - bearcat54 - 01-15-2013 07:46 PM

I sure hated to hear this. Brian was a class act that was a great talent. He was an outstanding shooter. I'll never forget watching his games. RIP, Brian.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - bcat80 - 01-15-2013 08:20 PM

I remember watching him and that team my Freshman year, the last year they played in the Armory Fieldhouse. Him, Gary Yoder, Steve Collier, Mike Jones, Bob Miller, Pat Cummings...they were fun to watch. God bless Mike. What did he die from?

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - chatcat - 01-15-2013 09:37 PM

I'll never forget the championship game of the Sugar Bowl classic in January of '77 when the Bearcats ripped the Hoosiers a new one.

RIP Brian.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - bearcat54 - 01-15-2013 10:50 PM

(01-15-2013 06:49 PM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  Former University of Cincinnati men’s basketball player Brian Williams died Friday in Columbus, Ohio. He was 59.

Williams was a member of UC’s 1,000-point club (1,066 career points) and averaged 12.5 points and 5.4 rebounds during his three-year career with the Bearcats (1975-77). He was a member of the 1976 and 1977 squads that won back-to-back Metro Conference Tournament Championships and made consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament.

A member of the Ohio Athletic Hall of Fame, Williams was a 1973 graduate of South High School where he helped lead his team to the state tournament as a senior.

Williams was an assistant boys’ basketball coach at Bishop Hartley High School in Columbus, Ohio where he has worked for the past 18 years. The girls’ team wore black head bands in his honor at a recent game. The school’s athletics director, David Thompson, called Williams “one of the top five players in Columbus history,” according to the Columbus Dispatch.

I believe Brian Williams graduated from Springfield South high school. Article appeared to be Columbus South.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - vabearcat - 01-15-2013 11:31 PM

(01-15-2013 10:50 PM)bearcat54 Wrote:  
(01-15-2013 06:49 PM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  Former University of Cincinnati men’s basketball player Brian Williams died Friday in Columbus, Ohio. He was 59.

I believe Brian Williams graduated from Springfield South high school. Article appeared to be Columbus South.

No, Brian Williams was from Columbus. He was very athletic and a solid career at UC. UC's teams from that Gale Catlett era were good ones, a big improvement over the disappointing coaching tenure of Tay Baker.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - tdbearcat - 01-15-2013 11:55 PM

Dang! Really saddened to read this. He was a special player and I remember him very well. For some reason, burned in my memory is Brian throwing down a slam vs. UD before dunking was allowed back in the game, but not getting it called on him and seeing Micky Donoher going nuts.

RIP Brian. You are burned into our hearts. Prayers to Brian's family.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - bcat4 - 01-16-2013 12:06 AM

(01-15-2013 11:55 PM)tdbearcat Wrote:  Dang! Really saddened to read this. He was a special player and I remember him very well. For some reason, burned in my memory is Brian throwing down a slam vs. UD before dunking was allowed back in the game, but not getting it called on him and seeing Micky Donoher going nuts.

Not only did he illegally dunk but he hung onto the rim for several seconds. The game was at UD Arena. Amazed nothing was calledCOGS

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - tdbearcat - 01-16-2013 12:45 AM

(01-16-2013 12:06 AM)bcat4 Wrote:  
(01-15-2013 11:55 PM)tdbearcat Wrote:  Dang! Really saddened to read this. He was a special player and I remember him very well. For some reason, burned in my memory is Brian throwing down a slam vs. UD before dunking was allowed back in the game, but not getting it called on him and seeing Micky Donoher going nuts.

Not only did he illegally dunk but he hung onto the rim for several seconds. The game was at UD Arena. Amazed nothing was calledCOGS

Yessir. Remember it well.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - cmhcat - 01-16-2013 09:35 AM

Amazing to think about the talent that Catlett was able to assemble. Within those two classes ('77 and '78) he had the top players in Ohio (Williams-Class AAA Co player of year), Indiana (Collier- Co Mr. Basketball), West Va-(Jones), Kentucky (Miller), and Pennsylvania (Cummings). The MVP in '77 was another Hoosier: Gary Yoder from Topeka, In, who may have been the best of them all.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - bcat80 - 01-16-2013 10:10 AM

(01-16-2013 09:35 AM)cmhcat Wrote:  Amazing to think about the talent that Catlett was able to assemble. Within those two classes ('77 and '78) he had the top players in Ohio (Williams-Class AAA Co player of year), Indiana (Collier- Co Mr. Basketball), West Va-(Jones), Kentucky (Miller), and Pennsylvania (Cummings). The MVP in '77 was another Hoosier: Gary Yoder from Topeka, In, who may have been the best of them all.

Gary Yoder was money from the free throw line; I think he made ~90 free throws in a row, and I also remember we had something like a 50 home game winning streak...unbeatable. I'm surprised we never went further than the 1st round in the 2 NCAA tournaments (76 & 77). The NCAA game we lost to Notre Dame was heartbreaking. I think we were up by 5 but blew it at the end; ND stole the inbounds pass under their basket, made it and won by 1 point.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - Bearcat Otto - 01-16-2013 01:19 PM

They didn't steal the pass...Hal Ward threw it right to them.

Sad.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - cmhcat - 01-16-2013 08:04 PM

(01-16-2013 01:19 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  They didn't steal the pass...Hal Ward threw it right to them.

Sad.

I thought that was the phantom five second call by referee Don Wedge...it's on You Tube, I may have to go back relive that incredible nightmare to clear my memory on what happened.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - Bearcat Otto - 01-16-2013 09:12 PM

My mistake. You are right.

But it was Hal Ward.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - tdbearcat - 01-16-2013 10:02 PM

Hal Ward - Argh! Nightmares returning.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - chatcat - 01-17-2013 08:41 AM

(01-16-2013 08:04 PM)cmhcat Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 01:19 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  They didn't steal the pass...Hal Ward threw it right to them.

Sad.

I thought that was the phantom five second call by referee Don Wedge...it's on You Tube, I may have to go back relive that incredible nightmare to clear my memory on what happened.

Ward was trying to call time out and Wedge claims he dropped his whistle and by the time he got it back in his mouth the 5 seconds had expired. What a truly sad ending to a great season. I thought UC had a legitimate shot to go to the Final Four that year.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - levydl - 01-17-2013 10:16 AM

(01-17-2013 08:41 AM)chatcat Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 08:04 PM)cmhcat Wrote:  

Sad.

Ward was trying to call time out and Wedge claims he dropped his whistle and by the time he got it back in his mouth the 5 seconds had expired. What a truly sad ending to a great season. I thought UC had a legitimate shot to go to the Final Four that year.

Here's the video. Ridiculous 5 second call at about the 3:20 mark. Unbelievable.

RE: Former UC Baskeball Player Brian Williams Dies - mbl95 - 01-17-2013 11:56 AM

Wow. I was young...but that ranks up there as one of the top 5 most devasting/crushing endings to a Bearcats game I ever watched. It's amazing it's out there on you tube. 40 years later..the call is still ridiculous. A truly great team that had a chance for the Final 4.