CSNbbs
UC Basketball Trouble - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: UC Basketball Trouble (/thread-611862.html)

Pages: 1 2

UC Basketball Trouble - martini7777 - 01-07-2013 08:32 PM

This team is in trouble. Lousy offense and where has that pressing team been. Cronin said we would see that all year long. This team right now is really disfunctional. SK, JP cannot score and no one can move well without the ball.
Going to be a long year if they dont figure it out. They could get shutout of NCAA.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Bearcat_Bounce - 01-07-2013 08:33 PM

It wouldn't be a Mick Cronin team if there wasn't some serious drama in conference play...

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - BearChatter v2.0 - 01-07-2013 08:37 PM

Last year, Xavier went in the tank after the Shootout. I guess it's UC's turn.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Bearcat_Bounce - 01-07-2013 08:41 PM

This team is reminding me of last years Louisville team...they started 12-0 and then lost at home to Georgetown and Notre Dame with a road win at St. Johns in between. They sat at 13-3 (1-2)....

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Bearcats#1 - 01-07-2013 08:43 PM

maybe now that we will not be ranked anymore (next week) we can start playing and winning again....guess these guys just can't handle seeing a ranking next to their name.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Bearcat04 - 01-07-2013 08:51 PM

(01-07-2013 08:41 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  This team is reminding me of last years Louisville team...they started 12-0 and then lost at home to Georgetown and Notre Dame with a road win at St. Johns in between. They sat at 13-3 (1-2)....

I don't think they have quite the upside, but that's the beauty of college basketball - it's a marathon. Every year as the team gets better I keep expecting the conference slate to go according to plan and every year it's just as crazy. I figured they'd be 2-1 right with a loss at Pitt. It looks very ugly right now, but there's plenty of time to turn this around. The last two years Mick has had the team playing their best heading into the tournament.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Murph29 - 01-07-2013 08:57 PM

They've got to first and foremost get back to defense defense defense. We are giving up too many open looks and easy baskets the last few games. Second, we need to get the three amigos back to playing like they did last season. Parker used to make the explosive drives and spins to get lay ups or FTs. SK was much more active and not one-dimensional. We need those three guards playing smart like upperclassmen. They can create open shots for others, high percentage easy shots for the more offensively challenged bigs. But it all begins and ends with those three and with solid lock down D. Forget the press. It works in small doses but it looked better against weaker nonconf opponents. We can use it in spurts to spring on teams, but the half court D has to get back to being lock down like it was.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - HattoriHanzo - 01-07-2013 08:57 PM

Some things that are very disturbing 16 games into a season.

-Can't shoot free throws
-guards don't pass and rarely penetrate
-lack of aggression from anyone at the rim

And please, please never allow Jermaine Sanders to throw another inbounds pass. That's 2 horrible ones in a week's time.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - martini7777 - 01-07-2013 08:57 PM

(01-07-2013 08:51 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 08:41 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  This team is reminding me of last years Louisville team...they started 12-0 and then lost at home to Georgetown and Notre Dame with a road win at St. Johns in between. They sat at 13-3 (1-2)....

I don't think they have quite the upside, but that's the beauty of college basketball - it's a marathon. Every year as the team gets better I keep expecting the conference slate to go according to plan and every year it's just as crazy. I figured they'd be 2-1 right with a loss at Pitt. It looks very ugly right now, but there's plenty of time to turn this around. The last two years Mick has had the team playing their best heading into the tournament.

Maybe Mick will have their attention now. Very frustrating why UC cannot recruit good shooting guards. Its been awhile and Cashmere makes a lot of mistakes.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - mptnstr@44 - 01-07-2013 08:58 PM

Time for a bit of soul searching by the Cats.
Fight on together or fold.
Motivate em Mick.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Murph29 - 01-07-2013 09:00 PM

Maybe we believed our own press and the lofty ranking. If so, this ought to wake them up or nothing will.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Bearcats#1 - 01-07-2013 09:09 PM

good news is, lot of basketball to go...bad news is, we dropped TWO HOME Big East games already...OUCH

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - HattoriHanzo - 01-07-2013 09:17 PM

In their defense, my issues with them have been season long ailments. They were decent enough offensively tonight. But they were lost and scrambling on defense. Gave up too much dribble penetration to a very good passing team. ND ball reversed them to death tonight. And ND hit some circus shots when the game was tight. But 9-16 to a team that came in with a 3pt shooting pedigree is awful.

Have to get tougher man on man and defend the ball better.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Bearcat Otto - 01-07-2013 09:56 PM

Just got back from the game.

Our offense wasn't bad tonight. Our shooting percentage was decent. We out-rebounded them.

ND was the better team tonight. I think if we played them 10 times we would win 7-8. They moved the ball great and found the open man. And they made shots on top of that.

We are 1-2 in an 18 game Big East schedule. We are OK. it's a long season.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Bearcat_Bounce - 01-07-2013 10:00 PM

(01-07-2013 09:56 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  Just got back from the game.

Our offense wasn't bad tonight. Our shooting percentage was decent. We out-rebounded them.

ND was the better team tonight. I think if we played them 10 times we would win 7-8. They moved the ball great and found the open man. And they made shots on top of that.

Yeah, I am done wasting my time trying to figure out this team. I'm just going to sit back and watch it all unfold...

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - BeerCat - 01-07-2013 10:08 PM

(01-07-2013 10:00 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 09:56 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  Just got back from the game.

Yeah, I am done wasting my time trying to figure out this team. I'm just going to sit back and watch it all unfold...

This team had me so emotionally invested from last year that is really hard to do. Plenty of bball to be played though.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - BearChatter v2.0 - 01-07-2013 10:51 PM

I said early on in the game thread. I could see that Mick was trying to infuse more offense into the lineup. Shaq and Sanders both played a bit more. Rubles started the game and JJ was nowhere to be seen.

It obviously sacrificed alot of defense. But then again, ND was just simply on fire from 3 point range.

The doubling down was not working and I begged at halftime for Mick to take it off and go straight man.........which he didn't.

66 points to ND isn't that bad. They are capable of putting up a lot more points than that. The problem is we simply don't score enough. I did think S K was better tonight. I thought Cash was tentative. Parker always appears and disappears offensively. Good to see Sanders lighting it up, but he needs to not be throwing the ball in, obviously.

Good to see the bench back in play. Might be good that Mick suffered through it tonight while using the bench. He'll have some good teaching points to bring the second unit up to snuff. Because we'll need their offense. I still think the lack of a scoring big man is going to possibly hold this team back though.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - bearcat18 - 01-08-2013 12:29 AM

This game and the St. Johns game there was a 2-3 minute stretch where we let our offense impact on our defense. We wouldn't score, and give up layups and open looks on the other end, and next thing you know we're down 10. You can't dig yourselves in that kind of hole against good teams, especially smart and good free throw shooting teams.

Not the reason we lost but when was the last time the refs gave us a "homecourt advantage?" Last 3 home games:

New Mexico: UNM had 3 team fouls in the whole second half up until 40 seconds left. How does that happen? We shot a lot of jumpers but we drove to the basket a good amount too.
St. Johns: the obvious goaltend that proved to be huge, among other calls/noncalls
Notre Dame: ND with 2 fouls in the first half, 10 total for the game. ND had about 5 travels uncalled. SK getting mugged on the rebound with 3 minutes left.

It's frustrating to see because 99% of other games I watch, the home team gets all sorts of calls. Always seems like the complete opposite for us.

Also have to give credit to opposing players for clutch shots in our 3 losses. Kendall Williams and Tony Snell answered for UNM, Harrison threw in the ridiculous 3 and game winner, and Jerian Grant hit a couple jumpers late in the shot clock tonight. Hopefully some of these shots start to go our way and we can get back on a streak.

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - Bearcat04 - 01-08-2013 08:42 PM

In the three losses we have shot a total of 26 FT and made just 14 of them. That's pitiful. Against Pitt we were 25-35 from the line. I really think to take the next step this team is going to need to make 10+ FT per game, which means getting to the line a lot more do to our poor %. Right now only 17% of our points come from FT line, which is one of the lowest percentages in the country. Not drawing enough fouls also hurts you at the end of close games as we saw firsthand in the New Mexico game. It's also not a comfortable feeling watching a 62% FT shooting team try to hang onto a lead in the final minutes when they haven't even reached the bonus yet.

Interesting to note that two teams that are always applauded for their fundamentals and shooting ability are shooting FT worse than us so far this year - Wisconsin (61.4%) and Vanderbilt (57.9%).

RE: UC Basketball Trouble - BigDawg - 01-09-2013 10:20 AM

(01-08-2013 12:29 AM)bearcat18 Wrote:  This game and the St. Johns game there was a 2-3 minute stretch where we let our offense impact on our defense. We wouldn't score, and give up layups and open looks on the other end, and next thing you know we're down 10. You can't dig yourselves in that kind of hole against good teams, especially smart and good free throw shooting teams.

Not the reason we lost but when was the last time the refs gave us a "homecourt advantage?" Last 3 home games:

New Mexico: UNM had 3 team fouls in the whole second half up until 40 seconds left. How does that happen? We shot a lot of jumpers but we drove to the basket a good amount too.
St. Johns: the obvious goaltend that proved to be huge, among other calls/noncalls
Notre Dame: ND with 2 fouls in the first half, 10 total for the game. ND had about 5 travels uncalled. SK getting mugged on the rebound with 3 minutes left.

It's frustrating to see because 99% of other games I watch, the home team gets all sorts of calls. Always seems like the complete opposite for us.

Also have to give credit to opposing players for clutch shots in our 3 losses. Kendall Williams and Tony Snell answered for UNM, Harrison threw in the ridiculous 3 and game winner, and Jerian Grant hit a couple jumpers late in the shot clock tonight. Hopefully some of these shots start to go our way and we can get back on a streak.

Agree about the officiating and if the Cats play better they overcome that. But it seemed that every time something good was happening for UC, there was a huge mistake by the refs that killed momentum or swung it the other way.

For example, the St. Johns goal tend would have put UC up 21-12 with momentum and instead it starts St. Johns run and shut up the crowd except for the yelling at the refs. That goes down and the crowd is going wild and UC has a little more momentum.