CSNbbs
OT: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: OT: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? (/thread-610462.html)

Pages: 1 2

OT: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - Side Show Joe - 01-01-2013 12:21 PM

With Boise already out the door, there could be three spots open, if Houston and SMU leave too. Who will the NBE try to replace them with? And, will those programs accept the inviation?

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - MinerInWisconsin - 01-01-2013 01:34 PM

(01-01-2013 12:21 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  With Boise already out the door, there could be three spots open, if Houston and SMU leave too. Who will the NBE try to replace them with? And, will those programs accept the inviation?

Depends on if the BE stays the course of chasing markets or not. They are out of business in the far west as far as any new additions but the near west still has some available options. If they do lose both SMU and Houston they could get back into those 2 markets somewhat by adding Rice and UNT. If they don't chase markets they could add USM and Marshall. Or they could add all 4 schools. Interesting days and weeks ahead.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - ATTALLABLAZE - 01-01-2013 01:38 PM

No point in going to a dying league. Big East is as dead as George Burns.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - EagleProf - 01-01-2013 01:39 PM

I think that the pecking order for CUSA defections (if 2-5 schools leave) would be:

mtsu, wku, arky state, ulala, fau

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - panicstricken - 01-01-2013 01:42 PM

I dont know

If I had to guess I would say the nBE will get regional in a hurry. This would be 10 teams. If Tulsa doesnt go to the MWC I would guess they might make 11. Maybe Ohio or ODU for 12. Thats not a bad hoops conference and a decent regional conference thats about as good as CUSA was this year. Things wouldve been a lot easier if CUSA just held pat but whats done is done.

UCONN * ACC
Cinncy * ACC
EZU
UCF
USF
Southern Miss
Memphis
Tulane
UAB
Temple

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - GrayEagle - 01-01-2013 02:15 PM

If the above happens how about Banowsky keeping CUSA together and taking what's left of nBE? He will have the most teams (14 vs 8) and the larger markets (Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Miami, West Palm, Nashville, Norfolk, Charlotte, El Paso, Tulsa, Shreveport-Monroe, Huntington-Charleston, Birmingham, and Hattiesburg-Gulfport vs. Philadelphia, Hartford, Cincinnati, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, Memphis and Greenville-New Bern). In addition, the vast majority of the two conferences have been CUSA members; not the other way around.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - Hop45 - 01-01-2013 02:18 PM

(01-01-2013 01:39 PM)EagleProf Wrote:  I think that the pecking order for CUSA defections (if 2-5 schools leave) would be:

Middle has already accepted an invite from C-USA. COGS

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - ATTALLABLAZE - 01-01-2013 02:20 PM

The Big East basketball schools will have enough votes to kill Big East football and keep the Big east name. Now what do you think those schools will do? Save it? I don't think so. Lol

We just need to decide who we will let back in to get to 16 after we let two schools go to the MWC. Remember MWC and C-USA have been working together. Not against each other. We can take 4 teams.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - Angry Eagle - 01-01-2013 02:26 PM

(01-01-2013 02:20 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  The Big East basketball schools will have enough votes to kill Big East football and keep the Big east name. Now what do you think those schools will do? Save it? I don't think so. Lol

We just need to decide who we will let back in to get to 16 after we let two schools go to the MWC. Remember MWC and C-USA have been working together. Not against each other. We can take 4 teams.

BINGO!

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - MinerInWisconsin - 01-01-2013 02:36 PM

(01-01-2013 02:18 PM)Hop45 Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 01:39 PM)EagleProf Wrote:  I think that the pecking order for CUSA defections (if 2-5 schools leave) would be:

Right and so has FAU.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - EagleProf - 01-01-2013 02:43 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot. Can't keep up with the knee-jerk decisions we make

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - runamuck - 01-01-2013 03:00 PM

stAte and youlaf are the only 2 left for pickin....

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - ICB - 01-01-2013 03:01 PM

So if Houston and SMU go to the MWC, do we forgive their exit fees? I mean if we are working together... why not?

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - Saint Greg - 01-01-2013 03:03 PM

(01-01-2013 03:00 PM)runamuck Wrote:  

stAte and youlaf are the only 2 left for pickin....

WKU and NMSU are on deck...but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - DaSaintFan - 01-01-2013 03:14 PM

(01-01-2013 12:21 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  With Boise already out the door, there could be three spots open, if Houston and SMU leave too. Who will the NBE try to replace them with? And, will those programs accept the inviation?

Actually don't forget SDSU.. they get out with no fees if Boise's not in. (I don't know where they'd go, if the MWC doesn't want them back). So there's 4 out the door if Houston/SMU leave.

Quote:So if Houston and SMU go to the MWC, do we forgive their exit fees? I mean if we are working together... why not?

Only if it's an all for one package, we don't if the other teams don't return to C-USA . We do if those other 4 schools come back.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - WeatherfordMeanGreen - 01-01-2013 05:21 PM

Said it before but....

SMU and UH can dance all over the "we want to be in this conference" or "we want to be in that conference" NCAA map till the cows come home,
but just watch a school from CUSA pull a "Northern Illinois" while those 2 Texas schools continue their "search for some version of the NCAA holy grail."
Hint to UH and SMU: You ain't going to find your holy grail in the Group of 5 in any way you mix it.......sorry.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - ShockerBob - 01-01-2013 05:30 PM

(01-01-2013 05:21 PM)WeatherfordMeanGreen Wrote:  Said it before but....

SMU and UH can dance all over the "we want to be in this conference" or "we want to be in that conference" NCAA map till the cows come home,
but just watch a school from CUSA pull a "Northern Illinois" while those 2 Texas schools continue their "search for some version of the NCAA holy grail."
Hint to UH and SMU: You ain't going to find your holy grail in the Group of 5 in any way you mix it.......sorry.

How do you know this?

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - Side Show Joe - 01-01-2013 06:09 PM

(01-01-2013 01:34 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

Depends on if the BE stays the course of chasing markets or not. They are out of business in the far west as far as any new additions but the near west still has some available options. If they do lose both SMU and Houston they could get back into those 2 markets somewhat by adding Rice and UNT. If they don't chase markets they could add USM and Marshall. Or they could add all 4 schools. Interesting days and weeks ahead.

If UTEP leaves to join Houston and SMU in the MWC, I really think Tulsa would get an invitation to the NBE, and I think they would take it. Rice and UNT would keep the NBE in Houston and Dallas, but I don't know if that's the direction the NBE would want to go, or if Rice and UNT would go. I guess it would come down to what the T.V. exectutives think. Seems like every move has been motivated by money.

Like Houston and SMU, I think UNT and Rice need to remember they have more value as a package deal, and make sure they remain together.

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - DaSaintFan - 01-01-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:If UTEP leaves to join Houston and SMU in the MWC, I really think Tulsa would get an invitation to the NBE, and I think they would take it.

Why? Honestly, I don't see why Tulsa would want to go further East rather than west?

And why are we even talking about Rice/UNT to the Big East? No offense to UNT, but at least prove yourselves on the field consistently before talking about jumping to another conference... (or do you guys want to be known as the fourth TCU type team? (TCu, Boise State, (possibly Houston/SMU) being the previous 4 teams to join the BE and then never play a down there?)

RE: If Houston and SMU Do Join the MWC...? - Side Show Joe - 01-01-2013 06:44 PM

(01-01-2013 06:21 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
Quote:If UTEP leaves to join Houston and SMU in the MWC, I really think Tulsa would get an invitation to the NBE, and I think they would take it.

Why? Honestly, I don't see why Tulsa would want to go further East rather than west?

And why are we even talking about Rice/UNT to the Big East? No offense to UNT, but at least prove yourselves on the field consistently before talking about jumping to another conference... (or do you guys want to be known as the fourth TCU type team? (TCu, Boise State, (possibly Houston/SMU) being the previous 4 teams to join the BE and then never play a down there?)

I think Tulsa would leave for the NBE over the MWC because I think they would like to be other similar private school like Tulane and Temple. I could be wrong. I'd love to hear what a Tulsa fan thinks.

As for UNT and Rice, I didn't say we would even get an invitation to the NBE. I just said we have more value if we stay together. The current lineup for C-USA West looks great right now.

C-USA West

Tulsa
Rice
UTEP
North Texas
LA Tech
UTSA

If you take Tulsa and UTEP out of that equation, and add a couple of Sun Belt programs, it starts to look like C-USA East. That would not be good.