CSNbbs
Official Beer Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: Official Beer Thread (/thread-609501.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Official Beer Tread - Fatmonarch - 09-01-2015 04:54 PM

I don't live in Hampton Roads anymore, any thoughts on some of the new breweries that have opened up in the last year? I'll be coming back in town for the nc state game and hope to hit a couple of the new guys up.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Monarchist13 - 09-01-2015 06:41 PM

(09-01-2015 04:54 PM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  I don't live in Hampton Roads anymore, any thoughts on some of the new breweries that have opened up in the last year? I'll be coming back in town for the nc state game and hope to hit a couple of the new guys up.

Big Ugly is worth a visit. Really cool set-up and they take some risks with their brews. Good stuff though. I particularly enjoyed the awesomely named Steady As She Gose. They make a pretty good root beer too.

Wasserhund just opened in VB. They're at Hilltop next to Contes. Good food made in house; pizza, pretzels and brats. It's a nice set-up, like a nice brewpub. Though, I will add that you can't see any equipment from the bar and restaurant. I'm still not sure whether they brew in house or elsewhere. My favorite here was the Pilsner. But I went here after a long day at the beach and it just really hit the spot as they are prone to do.

Pleasure House is in Chicks on Shore Drive, near the pier. Their crowlers are cool and the beer is good. Great place to go after a day at the beach. Halfway House, their pale ale, was my favorite.

Lots of breweries opening soon but not yet. Coelacanth, Rio Rip, Bold Mariner, Oozlefinch and Bull Island among others. Will report back after they do.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Fatmonarch - 09-10-2015 06:02 PM

I've been to pleasure house a few times and I went to big ugly their opening night. I may head back to big ugly and bring them some beers from my new brewery. I heard commonwealth brewing opened, but a couple friends went there and said it was off- flavor central. I may wait until November when I come back to try them so that they have a few batches underway. Wasserhund doesn't really seem like my jam with their German style beers.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CHI-NARX - 09-11-2015 01:56 AM

For those travelling to Chicagoland in the near future, Begyle Brewing Co. and Half Acre Beer Co. are local favorites. On the same topic, I haven't had a Norfolk beer for just about a year now. I'd pay $20 for a pint of Green Can.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Fatmonarch - 09-14-2015 06:17 PM

My boss is a Chicago native, used to work at goose island before they got bought out then revolution. Big fan of half acre daisy cutter.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CHI-NARX - 05-02-2016 07:03 PM

(09-14-2015 06:17 PM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  My boss is a Chicago native, used to work at goose island before they got bought out then revolution. Big fan of half acre daisy cutter.

that's a great beer. i'm a big fan of anything brewed by half acre.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Blue_Trombone - 05-03-2016 02:14 PM

Has anyone else tried going to Rip Rap? A few friends and I tried them when they opened up this past weekend. We weren't really impressed. My favorite was the cream ale, which I don't usually like, but it was pretty good. Red IPA was okay.

It's a new brewery, so it can't be expected to be gangbusters once it opens (unlike Coelacanth, which continues to be inexplicably amazing), but I'm really hoping it finds its legs. Bold Mariner started in a similar way (although they were more safe with their opening lineup of beers), and they're starting to get a niche crowd around them.

RE: Official Beer Tread - GhentFan - 05-06-2016 09:44 PM

My wife is a fan of Young Veterans over in VA Beach and SmartMouth down in Chelsea. Hasn't tried Coelancanth yet and it's just down the street.

If you want to do something other than the local micro brews, Birch in Chelsea is amazing.

This was on the Smart Mouth wall a few months ago.
[Image: 2n718w0.jpg]

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 07-22-2016 10:20 PM

Oh boy have I got a decent one this evening.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/183169/

4Beans. From a brewery called Sixpoint Brewery. Packaged in a tall thin can. Sure sounds like hipster-ish stuff, but the Imperial Porter by this particular establishment is good as far as canned beers go.

10% ABV
Rotating Availability

Not overpowering at all for the ABV, and the cans allow for a decent pour if you're careful. Smooth is the word, gents. This is smooth as far as Imperial Porters go. As far as notes, a bit of coffee and dark cocoa. Not too much of either. Usually sells in four-pack boxes if you're looking for a bit more than a sample. A meme describes it best:

[Image: d96.jpg]

RE: Official Beer Tread - bit_9 - 07-23-2016 09:28 AM

I'll check it out!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

RE: Official Beer Tread - verycoolnin - 08-08-2016 09:52 PM

(07-23-2016 09:28 AM)Cr8n Wrote:  I'll check it out!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Lil' Sumpin

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/49789/

It's available almost everywhere.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 08-19-2016 08:51 PM

I've never been able to get over something of a twang in the hops qualities in the Lagunitas brews I have sampled. I haven't had them all, granted (only roughly a quarter of their total catalog) but for me something always tastes a bit off about them. Simple incompatibility I suppose. Haven't had their Imperial Stout oddly enough, and that sort of thing is usually my game. I'll get around to it.

On this particular night, I've managed to get my hands on some "Even More Jesus" Imperial Porter by EvilTwin Brewing.12% ABV, rotating availability.

Beer Advocate review: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/81067/

On the nose, a bit strong with alcohol. Molasses and cocoa are definitely there too. Bought mine in tall cans, but would not recommend drinking in tall cans. Washed out an old stein to drink it in after a few sips. Head is very dark tan; I'd heard this described as "pours like motor oil" and I believe it. Pours like liquefied abyss. A bit of a tingly mouthfeel, but then again I've got some nicks and cuts on the gums from some really brave Tostitos chips I ate at lunch. It has sort of a dark creaminess going on. Very full, but not overpowering. (A slightly weaker 10.5 or 11 variation of this brew would be better though IMO.) Molasses and a touch of caramel begins to shine through here. There's a touch of hops in there somewhere (very slight) and a smidge of bitterness if you sit and think about it. Finishes fairly smooth. Out of 5 points, I would give it 4.25.

RE: Official Beer Tread - verycoolnin - 09-10-2016 07:24 PM

Cool, a brewery just opened up at Ft. Monroe. They're a little pricey but have quality stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/OozlefinchBeers

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 10-17-2016 08:07 PM

I don't know exactly why, but this Zywiec commercial speaks to me...

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 10-19-2016 08:59 PM

If anyone has any interest in beer with prominent chocolate notes, I must now enthusiastically recommend the Southern Tier Choklat imperial stout.

[Image: stbc_22oz_853759000766_choklat_lr.jpg]

I poured it expecting the same qualities that I had experienced with other chocolate-prominent beers. Man was I surprised. This beer tastes less like beer with chocolate and more like chocolate with beer. Pours dark brown, strong chocolate on the nose, and first sip seriously tastes like chocolate milk with a kick. Mouthfeel is fairly light for an imp stout, which was a pleasant surprise. It was like a threesome between glasses of porter, chocolate milk, and hot chocolate.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 12-04-2016 09:41 PM

Seems like every year the beer is getting better. Managed to get a 4-pack of Dogfish Head World Wide Stout before the price increase and I only drank three of them. Storing the last one someplace where I can forget about it for a while and properly age it. Might go for that Avery Tweak too at some point, but I am much less likely to age something if I buy it single-bottle.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Monarchist13 - 12-05-2016 12:21 PM

New Belgium did a collaborative beer with Ben and Jerry's for the second straight year. This years is a cookie dough ale. I could not believe how well the taste of the cookie dough was maintained in this beer. And though I'm not a fan of sweet beers like this typically, the sweetness is only mild and does not overwhelm the palate. I'm really happy with this iteration, especially since they made it a brown ale. So, its still refreshing. Definitely worth a try and not as just a novelty, but as a good solid beer.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 12-08-2016 11:08 PM

(12-05-2016 12:21 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  New Belgium did a collaborative beer with Ben and Jerry's for the second straight year. This years is a cookie dough ale. I could not believe how well the taste of the cookie dough was maintained in this beer. And though I'm not a fan of sweet beers like this typically, the sweetness is only mild and does not overwhelm the palate. I'm really happy with this iteration, especially since they made it a brown ale. So, its still refreshing. Definitely worth a try and not as just a novelty, but as a good solid beer.

I haven't been all that into New Belgium brews lately, but I did enjoy the Ben & Jerrys collaboration. Pretty good all things considered. Not going to unseat my New Belgium favorites (Trippel & Rampant) but a quality brew deserving of some respect. Substantial despite the perceived novelty.

Speaking of Belgium and Belgian things, Paix Dieu is a Belgian beer that I have come to appreciate recently. Great beer for fans of Belgian beers and general heavy hitters. It is selling for pretty cheap stateside and I recommend all to try if you can get your hands on it

Don't count on the flip top, though. Only Paix Dieu I have been able to find here is the champagne bottle with cork type

[Image: verrebouteille.png]

RE: Official Beer Tread - Monarchist13 - 12-11-2016 08:06 PM

Where'd you pick this up? I would assume Total Wine but figured I would ask. I'm a big fan of Belgian brewers especially St Bernardus, Rochefort and Westmalle. As you can tell, those monks have a special place in my heart.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 12-11-2016 10:00 PM

Total Wine. The high volume joint off Chain Bridge Rd in McLean is going firesale on the stuff, something like 4.99 US per bottle. Don't remember if I saw it in their shoebox Ballston store too, might be a store-specific thing. Dynamite stuff for that price though