CSNbbs
Official Beer Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: Official Beer Thread (/thread-609501.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 09-06-2019 08:05 PM

Hadn't been to those breweries but I will keep them in mind if I am ever up that way. Only beer I've had from Vermont so far is Long Trail. I try to get a bottle of their harvest ale every year. Also a fan of their Double Bag, Unearthed, and Limbo.

RE: Official Beer Tread - DMC - 09-18-2019 11:21 AM

I've really been enjoying this recently:

[Image: Oktoberfest_bottle.png]

RE: Official Beer Tread - Monarchist13 - 09-18-2019 02:18 PM

(09-06-2019 02:02 PM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  I just trekked up to Hill Farmstead in Vermont this past weekend and as usual, it was a treat. Highlights were Double Citra available in cans and bottles of Soignée available for on site consumption. Hit River Roost in White River Junction on the way back and they are way underrated. Interesting model where they only pour 4 oz tasters at the brewery with a limit of two per person, but unlimited cans and growlers to go. Went with a group so we were all able to taste everything despite the limit and it was all fantastic.

This guy is very jealous. Any chance you brought back some heady topper?

RE: Official Beer Tread - Fatmonarch - 09-18-2019 03:19 PM

(09-18-2019 02:18 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(09-06-2019 02:02 PM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  I just trekked up to Hill Farmstead in Vermont this past weekend and as usual, it was a treat. Highlights were Double Citra available in cans and bottles of Soignée available for on site consumption. Hit River Roost in White River Junction on the way back and they are way underrated. Interesting model where they only pour 4 oz tasters at the brewery with a limit of two per person, but unlimited cans and growlers to go. Went with a group so we were all able to taste everything despite the limit and it was all fantastic.

I actually live 10 mins from the VT border in Mass. The state line package store gets a Heady and focal drop every Tuesday.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Monarchist13 - 09-18-2019 03:28 PM

(09-18-2019 03:19 PM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  

I actually live 10 mins from the VT border in Mass. The state line package store gets a Heady and focal drop every Tuesday.

Ahh that makes sense. I really have to make a trip up there to visit Hill Farmstead, The Alchemist, Allagash, Maine Brewing and Tree House. Any others from New England you would suggest?

RE: Official Beer Tread - Fatmonarch - 09-18-2019 04:21 PM

(09-18-2019 03:28 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Ahh that makes sense. I really have to make a trip up there to visit Hill Farmstead, The Alchemist, Allagash, Maine Brewing and Tree House. Any others from New England you would suggest?

Foam Brewers in Burlington, Trillium outside Boston, Brick and Feather in Turners Falls Ma, Fox Farm in CT, Lawson’s has a nice facility, but not huge fan of their beer like most, hermit thrush in Brattleboro VT, bissell in Portland, the list goes on.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Monarchist13 - 09-18-2019 04:26 PM

(09-18-2019 04:21 PM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  
(09-18-2019 03:28 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Foam Brewers in Burlington, Trillium outside Boston, Brick and Feather in Turners Falls Ma, Fox Farm in CT, Lawson’s has a nice facility, but not huge fan of their beer like most, hermit thrush in Brattleboro VT, bissell in Portland, the list goes on.

Thanks for the list. I'll admit that I'm ashamed I left off Trillium from my initial group. The rest are all new to me and I'm excited to check them out if I can.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 09-24-2019 12:50 PM

I really enjoyed the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest collaboration this year as well. Bitburger is quality and I enjoy everything of theirs I can get my hands on. Definitely my favorite brewery for an authentic German Pils, followed closely by Weihenstephaner.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Monarchist13 - 09-26-2019 11:10 PM

Precarious is crushing it. I got a mixed sixxer of their stuff a couple weeks back from bottlebox. And each and every beer I bought was fantastic. Now, I've been enjoying their stuff since they opened but I had not given them a shout on here and they seem to have taken a big step forward. Great brewery.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 09-27-2019 07:51 PM

They make an Italian Pils 03-cloud9

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 09-28-2019 09:24 PM

Did a brief sampling of Oktoberfest biers the other night: three US iterations and a German control. Ayinger was the control and it was delicious. I put some ambient noise from Oktoberfest on repeat and I felt a bit better about things in general. Then I started with Solace's Gute Nacht and quite enjoyed it. It embraced the sweet malt flavors of a Marzen, definitely the sweetest of the three I had. Palatable and tasty, would have gone well with a roasted (maybe slightly charred) chicken dish if I had planned it right. Wish I had bought a four-pack.

Flying Fish Oktoberfish was next and it was definitely a more dry Oktoberfest beer. I kinda enjoy an Oktoberfest that isn't palate-coating sweet though. If I am ever up in Jersey this time of year, I will pay them a visit. Malty and flavorful.

Finished the sampling with a bit of local flavor: Commonwealth's Marzen. I must have gotten a can that was mishandled or otherwise was exposed to the elements. This particular beer tasted like it was supposed to have a touch of earthiness to it and it just went all wrong. Kinda grungy. Had that bit of lightly caramel-y and toastiness, but overall kinda musty and bitterish. I hope I can make it in to their home facility for Oktoberfest proper one of these years, because this was...bleh.

Changing gears, also had the chance to try Commonwealth's 2.336B Sojourn DIPA. Very impressed. I like a beer that displays duality of flavors and this beer delivered. Grungeist and Nelson Sauvin for the hopping, so a real treat. A bit of an edgy resin character at the nose that immediately faded into some tropical notes and general citrus blended with that fancy white wine NS hop character. Kinda like Jekyll and Hyde for this beer except they were both heroes. Good times and a good DIPA.

Picked up the Alexandr 10 degree from Schilling Beer Co out of New Hampshire and wasn't sure what to make of it. My Czech Pils outlook is forever stained with the lightly buttery character of Pils Urquell, so this is a style that I have had difficulty calibrating my palate for. I was always taught that German Pils is supposed to be more bitter and Czech Pils more malty, but compared to Pils Urquell everything seems bitter. Amidst this calibration issue I found the Alexandr to be pleasant but a tad bitter for my taste. I worry that I've messed up the palate somehow with my training and I need to re-calibrate/re-learn Czech Pils as a style. Any tips or advice would be welcome.

RE: Official Beer Tread - Monarchist13 - 10-01-2019 02:13 PM

(09-28-2019 09:24 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  Picked up the Alexandr 10 degree from Schilling Beer Co out of New Hampshire and wasn't sure what to make of it. My Czech Pils outlook is forever stained with the lightly buttery character of Pils Urquell, so this is a style that I have had difficulty calibrating my palate for. I was always taught that German Pils is supposed to be more bitter and Czech Pils more malty, but compared to Pils Urquell everything seems bitter. Amidst this calibration issue I found the Alexandr to be pleasant but a tad bitter for my taste. I worry that I've messed up the palate somehow with my training and I need to re-calibrate/re-learn Czech Pils as a style. Any tips or advice would be welcome.

Not sure if this will help, but i enjoyed it a lot and it might have been on accident. As I was pouring my glass, my wife asked if I could do some things around the house. So I let the beer sit while I took care of said task. By the time I was done, it had risen close to room temp. I'll have to try it cold. Hopefully Bottlebox has some left when I go for my weekly stop.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 10-04-2019 08:40 PM

I'll have to try the room temp/slight oxidation trick when I can get two more cans of Alexandr. Thanks for the advice.

I got some of the Avery Kaiser imperial Oktoberfest and enjoyed it. Its a one-can party as far as Oktoberfest goes; strong, bold, and sweetly malty. This year's edition has a nice sketch of the Kaiser on the side too. Overall a good experience.

I saw a six of Smarthmouth Princess and passed on it for now. Might swing back through next week and scoop it up if it remains. Website says it would go well with a reuben and I might test it

Official Beer Tread - ODUMONARCHZ1 - 10-07-2019 08:46 AM

If any of yall use the untappd app my username is
dwarr020

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RE: Official Beer Tread - Fatmonarch - 10-07-2019 01:49 PM

(10-07-2019 08:46 AM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  If any of yall use the untappd app my username is
dwarr020

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If anyone wants to add me I’m dsump001 on untappd. Always happy to see what other people are drinking.

RE: Official Beer Tread - DMC - 10-10-2019 08:08 AM

(09-24-2019 12:50 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  I really enjoyed the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest collaboration this year as well. Bitburger is quality and I enjoy everything of theirs I can get my hands on. Definitely my favorite brewery for an authentic German Pils, followed closely by Weihenstephaner.
Did you try the Braupakt collab between Sierra Nevada and Weihenstephaner?

It's awesome. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/326172/

[Image: beer-2379473_ccdc1_hd.jpeg]

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 10-10-2019 07:14 PM

(10-10-2019 08:08 AM)DMC Wrote:  
(09-24-2019 12:50 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  I really enjoyed the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest collaboration this year as well. Bitburger is quality and I enjoy everything of theirs I can get my hands on. Definitely my favorite brewery for an authentic German Pils, followed closely by Weihenstephaner.
Did you try the Braupakt collab between Sierra Nevada and Weihenstephaner?

It's awesome. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/326172/

[Image: beer-2379473_ccdc1_hd.jpeg]

I remember seeing that everywhere but I never got around to trying it. Some friends of mine were pretty high on it

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 10-12-2019 05:38 PM

Ended up getting that six pack of Smartmouth Princess and I had a can with my take-out reuben at lunch. The light caramel malt note calmed down the thousand island dressing a bit and complemented the salty & savory corned beef. Good stuff.

Sipping a draft pour of Three Notch'd Hansel & Kettle and it is as good as it ever was. I passed on the "imperial Oktoberfest" beers last year out of academic snobbiness, but between the H&K and Avery Kaiser I have enjoyed exploring this subset of the style.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 10-18-2019 08:17 PM

I've been really digging Grevensteiner Original lately.

**Link leads to non-USA website**

[Image: grevensteiner.jpg?itok=VbeFkyUW]

There is something special about this beer. It is an unfiltered German lager, so malt-forward with an earthy "rural" touch to it. Hops are subdued and mostly for balance. (Although a vivid Hallertau or Saaz infusion would have been interesting...) Very drinkable, and I'm talking "crush a four pack" drinkable. Without a doubt, this is one of the most enjoyable German beers that I have enjoyed stateside. If you can find it, I would highly recommend picking up what you can.

I've been a follower of anything that Veltins associates with in German beer, including this and their pilsner. I seem to remember them being associated with D.A.B. as well at some point. Not sure if I covered it here already, but Dortmunder Actien-Brauerei Dortmunder Export is another one of those crushable (by American standards) German beers.

RE: Official Beer Tread - CameramanJ - 10-25-2019 09:04 PM

Just had Oud Friends by American Solera and I am really impressed. I really like Mild when I can get my hands on some, and one aged on oak with Brett is something that I had never experienced before.

"Wild Mild" is how I'd describe it. Nose is oaky and vinous with a bit of fruity (pineapple?) and sweet malty towards the end. Tastes like a straight wild ale at first but the sourness fades gently into the slightly nutty maltiness of the mild. The finish is that malt with a slightly acidic accent. Gets better the longer you drink it. I wish that I had picked up more than just a can of this.