CSNbbs
I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. (/thread-605849.html)

Pages: 1 2

I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - Weatherdemon - 12-07-2012 10:09 PM

I would think if you were wanting to strengthen your conference then you add a couple of schools with football teams that bowl most years and a couple of basketball teams that are the NCAA's and NIT regularly and get both when you can, regardless of market.

Tulsa seems to be an exception for football but bowling and dancing and tends to draw fans and national interest regardless of the size of the schools local TV market.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - OwlFamily - 12-07-2012 10:24 PM

IMO its about the potential for a huge TV presence IF one of the market teams get hot.

Lets take FAU and Troy as an example in the situation below. I use Troy because I know they are small market and am still learning about which teams CUSA has that are small market.

We get extremely lucky beating a couple of ranked teams and dont have any conference slip ups. We are playing in a BCS bowl. EVERYONE wants to watch a winner. The local news and TV is hyping us up. Those newspapers and TV stations in a 'Market" reach a whole lot more people which has the potential to bring more attention to the conference and the team.

If FAU does this, we reach MANY more people then Troy does, which leads to better advertising and possible interest in that team and the conference.

CUSA is betting on the POTENTIAL of a BCS buster in a market.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - Weatherdemon - 12-07-2012 10:28 PM

(12-07-2012 10:24 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  IMO its about the potential for a huge TV presence IF one of the market teams get hot.

Lets take FAU and Troy as an example in the situation below. I use Troy because I know they are small market and am still learning about which teams CUSA has that are small market.

We get extremely lucky beating a couple of ranked teams and dont have any conference slip ups. We are playing in a BCS bowl. EVERYONE wants to watch a winner. The local news and TV is hyping us up. Those newspapers and TV stations in a 'Market" reach a whole lot more people which has the potential to bring more attention to the conference and the team.

If FAU does this, we reach MANY more people then Troy does, which leads to better advertising and possible interest in that team and the conference.

I hadn't thought about it in those terms but that makes sense though.
Definitely a gamble but one that could certainly payoff if the team got hot.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - CurveItAround - 12-07-2012 10:42 PM

(12-07-2012 10:09 PM)Weatherdemon Wrote:  I would think if you were wanting to strengthen your conference then you add a couple of schools with football teams that bowl most years and a couple of basketball teams that are the NCAA's and NIT regularly and get both when you can, regardless of market.

Tulsa seems to be an exception for football but bowling and dancing and tends to draw fans and national interest regardless of the size of the schools local TV market.

Haven't the western conferences shown for years that even in a watered down conference, somebody has to win and become bowl eligible? The new strategy is to build a watered down conference of big markets, and when someone starts winning lots of eyeballs tune in.

Suckers born every minute.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - 77Herd11 - 12-07-2012 10:55 PM

(12-07-2012 10:24 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  IMO its about the potential for a huge TV presence IF one of the market teams get hot.

This and National Media Outlets have to sell commercials to be profitable. They will be more willing to pay money for a product that will reach more (potential) viewers. More viewers higher ad rates, higher ad rates more profit.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - 07owl - 12-07-2012 11:03 PM

I think the weirdest thing about it is that I'd say most of the big time college football programs aren't in big markets. Historically, school in big markets aren't that successful (with some exceptions, like USC).

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - MUHERD76 - 12-07-2012 11:12 PM

(12-07-2012 11:03 PM)07owl Wrote:  I think the weirdest thing about it is that I'd say most of the big time college football programs aren't in big markets. Historically, school in big markets aren't that successful (with some exceptions, like USC).

That is very true in a lot of ways. See the SEC for proof.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - Niner National - 12-07-2012 11:14 PM

What schools outside of big markets would have been any more preferable anyway?

Any school already not in CUSA had some pretty big weaknesses.

There were no beauty queens left.

Overall, I think CUSA has done a fairly good job adding schools considering what was left to grab. I would have rather seen WKU than FAU though. I also would have loved to see CUSA go after either VCU or George Mason in the East and Wichita State in the west.

All those schools have alumni making pushes for football and they all bring quality basketball. Offer them a spot for football if they ever decide to add the sport. In the meantime, they would have drastically improved the quality of basketball played in CUSA.

I understand that hybrid conferences are not ideal in the eyes of many because of the issues with the Big East, but bringing in non-football schools to a conference that has always had football is quite a bit different than adding football schools to what was traditionally a basketball conference.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - CurveItAround - 12-07-2012 11:15 PM

The NFL doesn't play very nice, plus the land grant schools don't usually have prime real estate, but they do have statewide appeal. There are only room for a couple of those per state typically. Then, there is everybody else.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - billyoregon - 12-07-2012 11:21 PM

(12-07-2012 10:55 PM)77Herd11 Wrote:  

This and National Media Outlets have to sell commercials to be profitable. They will be more willing to pay money for a product that will reach more (potential) viewers. More viewers higher ad rates, higher ad rates more profit.

I get what you are saying. But we are all assuming Tulane was added for the market, right? If LSU and Southern Miss and Tulane happen to be on TV in NOLA at the same time, what game (games) are people in NOLA gonna watch?

Adding Tulane doesn't add NOLA. It adds NOLA minus LSU, SMU, not to mention LaTech, U LaLa.

This is not an attack on your post, which I think raises a valid point. It's just that I can't figure out what the TV (and conference execs) are thinking about markets

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - Weatherdemon - 12-07-2012 11:30 PM

(12-07-2012 11:12 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 11:03 PM)07owl Wrote:  I think the weirdest thing about it is that I'd say most of the big time college football programs aren't in big markets. Historically, school in big markets aren't that successful (with some exceptions, like USC).

This is more of my point.

South Bend 101,000
Norman 113K/OKC 591K
Baton Rouge 230K
Columbus 797K

And then,
Tulsa 396K
New Orleans 360K

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - MUHERD76 - 12-07-2012 11:37 PM

(12-07-2012 11:14 PM)Niner National Wrote:  What schools outside of big markets would have been any more preferable anyway?

Overall, I think CUSA has done a fairly good job adding schools considering what was left to grab. I would have rather seen WKU than FAU though. I also would have loved to see CUSA go after either VCU or George Mason in the East and Wichita State in the west.

All those schools have alumni making pushes for football and they all bring quality basketball. Offer them a spot for football if they ever decide to add the sport. In the meantime, they would have drastically improved the quality of basketball played in CUSA.

I understand that hybrid conferences are not ideal in the eyes of many because of the issues with the Big East, but bringing in non-football schools to a conference that has always had football is quite a bit different than adding football schools to what was traditionally a basketball conference.

If I am CUSA.....I would be willing to add a few basketball only schools if they are the right schools. The exception to the rule should be that any current basketball school added needs to have some ambition to play FBS football at some point down the road. One that immediately comes to mind is Missouri State. The other would be George Mason. Especially since there is no dominant DC area FBS football team.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - 77Herd11 - 12-07-2012 11:47 PM

(12-07-2012 11:21 PM)billyoregon Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 10:55 PM)77Herd11 Wrote:  

I get what you are saying. But we are all assuming Tulane was added for the market, right? If LSU and Southern Miss and Tulane happen to be on TV in NOLA at the same time, what game (games) are people in NOLA gonna watch?

Adding Tulane doesn't add NOLA. It adds NOLA minus LSU, SMU, not to mention LaTech, U LaLa.

This is not an attack on your post, which I think raises a valid point. It's just that I can't figure out what the TV (and conference execs) are thinking about markets

True but football (college and pro) enjoy huge viewerships. Existing big conference schools have played at a "high level" for years attaining large rabid alumni bases that transcend the "television media markets" which are typically used to project television viewership. Changing demographics and greater access to higher education now have many newer and traditionally smaller schools in a position to access populations to build large alumni bases. Possibly even to attract more local, non- alumni fan support. With networks needing to sell commercials and small conferences needing more money, banking on likely growth at these institutions is a natural. Face- it we will not be attractive to existing power schools with large fan bases. Athletic programs rise and fall, but media markets last a bit longer. So having as many programs in large markets as possible should lead to more revenue. That is the best I understand it...

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - billyoregon - 12-07-2012 11:55 PM

Thanks, 77. Nice job trying to get in the minds of the network, cable and conference execs. I still don't get it.........that is a comment about them, not you.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - 77Herd11 - 12-08-2012 12:03 AM

Here is a look at Nielson's projected 2013 Television Media Markets by rank (those in CUSA and MWC):

CUSA: #5 Dallas/ FW 2.5M; #10 Houston 2.2M; #16 Miami 1.6M; #25 Charlotte 1.1M; #29 Nashville 1.0M; #36 San Antonio .88M; #38 West Palm Beach .79M; #42 Birmingham .71M; #44 Norfolk .70M; #59 Tulsa .52M; #66 Huntington/ Charleston .45M; #91 El Paso .33M; Add USM and LaTech- I am not sure does LaTech= Shreveport? Or USM=? No dis just not sure which TV market you guys are in.

MWC: #6 Bay Area 2.5M; #40 Las Vegas .71M; #47 Albuquerque .69M; #55 Fresno .57M; #71 Honolulu .43M; #89 Colorado Springs .34M; #108 Reno .26M; #111 Boise .25M #195 Casper/ Cheyenne (combined) .1M. I am not sure about Utah State.

I think shows the significant difference in potential viewers/ potential ad revenue for networks/ potential per school $ in media contract. Obviously more than 250,000 people will tune in for Boise but these markets form the basis for contracts. And this is why CUSA did what they did.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - mufanatehc - 12-08-2012 12:18 AM

(12-07-2012 11:37 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 11:14 PM)Niner National Wrote:  What schools outside of big markets would have been any more preferable anyway?

If I am CUSA.....I would be willing to add a few basketball only schools if they are the right schools. The exception to the rule should be that any current basketball school added needs to have some ambition to play FBS football at some point down the road. One that immediately comes to mind is Missouri State. The other would be George Mason. Especially since there is no dominant DC area FBS football team.

Maryland & Navy are pretty close to DC

And in NoVA, VT & UVA dominate

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - randaddyminer - 12-08-2012 12:22 AM

Markets are a thing the big east tried to draw up to increase revenue. Markets are not affected by college sports nor are college sports affected by markets, especially in cities with pro franchises.

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - BC Wave - 12-08-2012 12:28 AM

(12-07-2012 11:30 PM)Weatherdemon Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 11:12 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

This is more of my point.

South Bend 101,000
Norman 113K/OKC 591K
Baton Rouge 230K
Columbus 797K

And then,
Tulsa 396K
New Orleans 360K

Tulane was added, imo, due to the following (in no particular order)
Academics (Tulane is a member institution of AAU)
New Orleans Market
Destination city
Recruiting hotbed
Expected, ahem, increased resources put into athletics. (we'll see)

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - RaiderATO - 12-08-2012 12:31 AM

[Image: tumblr_mebq9miHe51rvxk04o1_500.gif]

[Image: z-rollindude.gif]

[Image: tumblr_m6ow4g0y2K1ry6vowo1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_m59f8tdJIw1qfw2dno1_250.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mdeh3vehf91qkk6oy.gif]

[Image: tumblr_md6b55CkZh1r8usr6o1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mdem5a3jzQ1rrn4vv.gif]

RE: I'm not understanding this rush for markets. - 77Herd11 - 12-08-2012 12:33 AM

(12-08-2012 12:22 AM)randaddyminer Wrote:  Markets are a thing the big east tried to draw up to increase revenue. Markets are not affected by college sports nor are college sports affected by markets, especially in cities with pro franchises.

That is true to some degree (especially when a schools shares with an NFL team) but theoretically if ODU or Charlotte establish winning traditions it should be easier for them to build fan bases (game attending, loyal viewing) than it would for say Wyoming ( no disrespect, I like WY) it is a numbers game. ODU and Charlotte have more people within a 75 mile radius than does Wyoming- therefore POTENTIALLY more viewers.