CSNbbs
McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently (/thread-605051.html)

Pages: 1 2

McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - WesternBlazer - 12-04-2012 07:09 PM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/mcgee_says_mindset_needs_to_ch.html

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - hooverblazer - 12-04-2012 07:18 PM

He's saying all the right things in the off season. I hope he can translate all that into action.

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - UAB?IAB - 12-04-2012 07:23 PM

(12-04-2012 07:18 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  He's saying all the right things in the off season. I hope he can translate all that into action.

Fans need to change their mindset as well.

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - WesternBlazer - 12-04-2012 07:32 PM

(12-04-2012 07:23 PM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 07:18 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  He's saying all the right things in the off season. I hope he can translate all that into action.

Fans need to change their mindset as well.

+1000

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - Smaug - 12-04-2012 07:57 PM

Change it to what, exactly?

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - BlazeN'Bham - 12-04-2012 08:09 PM

(12-04-2012 07:57 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Change it to what, exactly?

Who knows? Maybe its too show up and support the team regardless of the record or the dump we have to play in. I'd say most of us on blazer talk go to all the football games at home and 1 or 2 road games that are affordable and close to home. I dont know what else the fans can do besides donate money, show up to games, try to argue with others about how bad our situation is with the BOTs, and wear the school apparel on a daily basis. We cant coach the team nor play the games, so id say we've(or at least my family and I) have been playing our part. Blazer fans are loyal and supportive. The casual fan in Birmingham will not come to UAB games unless its the home opener or until we start winning. So what do they think we can do besides what is listed above? Id be happy to join in.

As for the players, coach has probably said something about it before. I probably didnt read about what he had to say.

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - KevMo4UAB - 12-04-2012 08:12 PM

Go Blazers!

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - the_blazerman - 12-04-2012 08:22 PM

KenPom gives us a 85% chance of changing, 75% chance of winning consistently.

I apologize.

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - KevMo4UAB - 12-04-2012 08:24 PM

(12-04-2012 08:22 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  KenPom gives us a 85% chance of changing, 75% chance of winning consistently.

I apologize.

Apology accepted (maybe).

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - bladhmadh - 12-04-2012 08:41 PM

changing helmets.... sounds like he is reading blazertalk

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - thebernreuter - 12-04-2012 11:38 PM

I used to think the fan mindset needed to change as well. Where is everybody? People need to get off their lazy asses and show up for the games.

Now I'm convinced the mindset is fine. We just have a numbers issue. A major numbers issue. There seriously are only about 12,000 UAB fans, meaning active fans that are in the area, take the program seriously, come to the games, and donate. Damn.

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - ATTALLABLAZE - 12-05-2012 09:29 AM

Most here attend the games. When we talk about fans here we are preaching to the choir. It's the long time fans that were turned off that walked away we need to get back. We also need to get the fans that have no clear cut allegiance. They are out there. If UAB wins consistently people will come to games. Even fans of the two SEC schools. This market is very football savvy. They may not know how to tie a shoe lace or pay their taxes but they know good football. It's time we start playing some.

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - Rebounder2u - 12-05-2012 10:02 AM

(12-05-2012 09:29 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Most here attend the games. When we talk about fans here we are preaching to the choir. It's the long time fans that were turned off that walked away we need to get back. We also need to get the fans that have no clear cut allegiance. They are out there. If UAB wins consistently people will come to games. Even fans of the two SEC schools. This market is very football savvy. They may not know how to tie a shoe lace or pay their taxes but they know good football. It's time we start playing some.

This is it, build a winning tradition ( string of winning seasons ) and they will come

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - Matrix - 12-05-2012 12:00 PM

(12-04-2012 08:09 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 07:57 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Change it to what, exactly?

Who knows? Maybe its too show up and support the team regardless of the record or the dump we have to play in. I'd say most of us on blazer talk go to all the football games at home and 1 or 2 road games that are affordable and close to home. I dont know what else the fans can do besides donate money, show up to games, try to argue with others about how bad our situation is with the BOTs, and wear the school apparel on a daily basis. We cant coach the team nor play the games, so id say we've(or at least my family and I) have been playing our part. Blazer fans are loyal and supportive. The casual fan in Birmingham will not come to UAB games unless its the home opener or until we start winning. So what do they think we can do besides what is listed above? Id be happy to join in.

As for the players, coach has probably said something about it before. I probably didnt read about what he had to say.

Count me in. This is the first time I've been able to attend every "home" football game for UAB. I hate our situation and that place just as much as the next person, but, I'm committing any emotional and financial resources afforded me to this athletic program. Fully intend to buy season tickets for 2013 as well.

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - LairDweller - 12-05-2012 03:32 PM

(12-04-2012 11:38 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  I used to think the fan mindset needed to change as well. Where is everybody? People need to get off their lazy asses and show up for the games.

Now I'm convinced the mindset is fine. We just have a numbers issue. A major numbers issue. There seriously are only about 12,000 UAB fans, meaning active fans that are in the area, take the program seriously, come to the games, and donate. Damn.

Exactly...the mindset of the fans is fine...it's just that there aren't enough fans.
Those people that don't show up aren't fans. The key is to make more fans (easier said than done)

I understand casual students supporting other schools...what I don't understand are the former cheerleaders, mascots, football players, ambassadors, trailblazers...whose Facebook pages are plastered with propaganda from schools they never attended, but completely ignore the school they were intimately involved with.

Lets face it...there will never be very many of us that support the team through wins or losses...building more fans requires winning consistently

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - BlazerDave - 12-05-2012 03:57 PM

(12-05-2012 03:32 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 11:38 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  I used to think the fan mindset needed to change as well. Where is everybody? People need to get off their lazy asses and show up for the games.

Exactly...the mindset of the fans is fine...it's just that there aren't enough fans.
Those people that don't show up aren't fans. The key is to make more fans (easier said than done)

I understand casual students supporting other schools...what I don't understand are the former cheerleaders, mascots, football players, ambassadors, trailblazers...whose Facebook pages are plastered with propaganda from schools they never attended, but completely ignore the school they were intimately involved with.

Lets face it...there will never be very many of us that support the team through wins or losses...building more fans requires winning consistently

I cheered for three years and I can't tell you one other cheerleader that supports the program. Not one!

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - UAB?IAB - 12-05-2012 03:59 PM

I probably should have included a change in attitude as well. We want people to come to games but most of what occurs on this site is us b!tching about one thing or another.

1. Hot dogs suck
2. Parking sucks
3. Can't get into the park early enough to tailgate
4. Restrooms suck
5. Concessions suck
6. Defense sucks
7. Coach is stubborn
8. Players aren't good
9. Good players aren't playing
10. BoT sucks

Why would a non-fan want to attend a game or be a part of something that the "core" fans themselves aren't pleased with? If we can't focus on the positive, why should others? If we aren't excited about the future of UAB athletics, why should others be? If we can't buy into the vision for the program, why should others? If we are going nitpick, why shouldn't others?

Just because you buy tickets, show up for games, and make donations doesn't mean your attitude or mindset doesn't need to change. It is no different than players showing up to play but not having the right mindset or attitude that it takes to WIN!

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - UABslant - 12-05-2012 04:26 PM

To be fair, I never encountered a bathroom that did not have soap in at least one dispenser this season... that is an improvement, right?

Oh oh, wait... a parking attendant didn't try to sell me tickets until the last game of the season... that's what I call progress. 02-13-banana 03-banghead

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - HSV_BLAZER - 12-05-2012 05:03 PM

I've wondered if "changing the mindset" was the reason why McGee played so many freshmen this season, including when he didn't have to. It's easier to mold the mindset of an incoming freshman than change the mindset of someone with three years under Callaway. Between that and the early playing time, McGee knows we will have growing pains early, but hopefully we'll be much improved when they are upperclassmen.

RE: McGee says mindset needs to change, but believes UAB can win consistently - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 12-05-2012 06:08 PM

(12-05-2012 10:02 AM)rebounder2u Wrote:  
(12-05-2012 09:29 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Most here attend the games. When we talk about fans here we are preaching to the choir. It's the long time fans that were turned off that walked away we need to get back. We also need to get the fans that have no clear cut allegiance. They are out there. If UAB wins consistently people will come to games. Even fans of the two SEC schools. This market is very football savvy. They may not know how to tie a shoe lace or pay their taxes but they know good football. It's time we start playing some.

This is it, build a winning tradition ( string of winning seasons ) and they will come

It's the one and only marketing strategy we have not yet been able to try.