CSNbbs
[split] Sun Belt Commissioner: Politics and Religion version - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+----- Forum: CUSA Smack Talk (/forum-450.html)
+----- Thread: [split] Sun Belt Commissioner: Politics and Religion version (/thread-579372.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[split] Sun Belt Commissioner: Politics and Religion version - HerdZoned - 07-22-2012 10:53 AM

If I were a IA conference I wouldn't touch Liberty University with a 10 foot pole. The school has been and is way to controversial.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - Liberty Fan - 07-22-2012 02:18 PM

(07-22-2012 10:53 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  If I were a IA conference I wouldn't touch Liberty University with a 10 foot pole. The school has been and is way to controversial.

It is a private Christian University, I guess to "some" that's controversial? I have friends that attended the school, they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. It's a awesome University. First class "everything". Top notch facilities, totally committed to athletics. An all star "Christian" coaching staff (Turner Gill, Carl Torbush, Mike Minter etc.). You guys be sure to watch for Liberty grad, former Flames Sports Network member Samantha Steele on ESPN this season.

Samantha Steele Replaces Erin Andrews ESPN

http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=9241&TeamID=

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - Whiteboard3 - 07-22-2012 03:41 PM

(07-22-2012 02:18 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 10:53 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  If I were a IA conference I wouldn't touch Liberty University with a 10 foot pole. The school has been and is way to controversial.

It is a private Christian University, I guess to "some" that's controversial? I have friends that attended the school, they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. It's a awesome University. First class "everything". Top notch facilities, totally committed to athletics. An all star "Christian" coaching staff (Turner Gill, Carl Torbush, Mike Minter etc.). You guys be sure to watch for Liberty grad, former Flames Sports Network member Samantha Steele on ESPN this season.

I think you miss the point. I myself am a Christian, and I definitely respect a lot of what happens up at Liberty. The problem comes when Liberty takes an outspoken opinion about a social issue, like gay marriage. These conferences have so much on the line in TV money, that the thought of offending someone is quite scary.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - PirateJeff - 07-22-2012 04:55 PM

(07-22-2012 03:41 PM)Whiteboard3 Wrote:  

I think you miss the point. I myself am a Christian, and I definitely respect a lot of what happens up at Liberty. The problem comes when Liberty takes an outspoken opinion about a social issue, like gay marriage. These conferences have so much on the line in TV money, that the thought of offending someone is quite scary.

If you stand for ANYTHING (religious, politicial, social) in life you will offend someone...that is a dumb reason not to consider a quality program (quality based on informaiton in the comment)for conference inclusion...by the way I know absolutely nothing about Liberty except they are located in VA.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - panama - 07-22-2012 05:05 PM

...and they will not be touched. What national advertiser are you getting for a game of theirs?

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - panama - 07-22-2012 05:08 PM

Gee Golly Willickers!

LOL!

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - Whiteboard3 - 07-22-2012 05:32 PM

(07-22-2012 04:55 PM)PirateJeff Wrote:  

If you stand for ANYTHING (religious, politicial, social) in life you will offend someone...that is a dumb reason not to consider a quality program (quality based on informaiton in the comment)for conference inclusion...by the way I know absolutely nothing about Liberty except they are located in VA.

Well PirateJeff, that's kind of my point. Most Universities don't take a political/social/religious stance for the simple reason that it's not in a universities best interest to be controversial. For instance: ECU did not pick a side in the amendment one debate. Liberty is quite simply very outspoken about their Conservative Christian beliefs.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - panama - 07-22-2012 05:35 PM

(07-22-2012 05:32 PM)Whiteboard3 Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 04:55 PM)PirateJeff Wrote:  

Well PirateJeff, that's kind of my point. Most Universities don't take a political/social/religious stance for the simple reason that it's not in a universities best interest to be controversial. For instance: ECU did not pick a side in the amendment one debate. Liberty is quite simply very outspoken about their Conservative Christian beliefs.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Its just that you cant have your cake and eat it too.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - Liberty Fan - 07-22-2012 07:16 PM

(07-22-2012 05:32 PM)Whiteboard3 Wrote:  Well PirateJeff, that's kind of my point. Most Universities don't take a political/social/religious stance for the simple reason that it's not in a universities best interest to be controversial. For instance: ECU did not pick a side in the amendment one debate. Liberty is quite simply very outspoken about their Conservative Christian beliefs.

Gezzzz ... Who are you kidding, are saying the faculty at UC Berkeley, or Notre Dame don't lean one way or the another? Nuff ... said!

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - oldtiger - 07-22-2012 07:32 PM

I don't have a clue if Liberty's athletic programs are D1/FBS compatible, however; with all that's wrong with education today, I'd hate to think that a conservative Christian university couldn't join a conference because of it's views/stances.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - panama - 07-22-2012 07:45 PM

(07-22-2012 07:16 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 05:32 PM)Whiteboard3 Wrote:  Well PirateJeff, that's kind of my point. Most Universities don't take a political/social/religious stance for the simple reason that it's not in a universities best interest to be controversial. For instance: ECU did not pick a side in the amendment one debate. Liberty is quite simply very outspoken about their Conservative Christian beliefs.

Gezzzz ... Who are you kidding, are saying the faculty at UC Berkeley, or Notre Dame don't lean one way or the another? Nuff ... said!

Gosh Golly...I defy you to find anything like this at Cal or Notre Dame or any other FBS school for that matter.

03-shhhh

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - HarborPointe - 07-22-2012 07:48 PM

(07-22-2012 05:05 PM)panama Wrote:  

...and they will not be touched. What national advertiser are you getting for a game of theirs?

My first call would be to Chik-Fil-A.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - panama - 07-22-2012 08:23 PM

(07-22-2012 07:48 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 05:05 PM)panama Wrote:  

My first call would be to Chik-Fil-A.

LOL! Touche' but I think they are few stations to right on te radio dial from Chick Fil A. Like I said, that is their God given right but it doesnt mean you get to get a conference invite to an FBS conference. But hey CUSA, have at them! Please! 05-stirthepot

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - HerdZoned - 07-22-2012 08:35 PM

Contraversial or not....

This is only one example. Falwell hid behind his religion and beliefs to spread his hate and bigotry to those sheep that followed him. This is the man that founded Liberty University and if you like it or not his thoughts and words will follow the university for years to come.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - 77Herd11 - 07-22-2012 11:04 PM

So... if you want to play FBS football you need not have controversial opinions? What happened to freedom of speech? Freedom of religion? I have heard university professors and administrators say some fundamentally untrue things about religion and believers of all stripes. That should be considered controversial, but it is not. Say what you believe.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - Liberty Fan - 07-23-2012 12:52 PM

Not pumping LU, just responding to some pretty biased post. I'm a big NCAA football fan and have friends that are LU alumni and go to some of their games.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - panama - 07-23-2012 03:22 PM

(07-22-2012 11:04 PM)77Herd11 Wrote:  

So... if you want to play FBS football you need not have controversial opinions? What happened to freedom of speech? Freedom of religion? I have heard university professors and administrators say some fundamentally untrue things about religion and believers of all stripes. That should be considered controversial, but it is not. Say what you believe.
Its hard to hide behind free speech when you dont believe in free speech and a diversity of opinions (see what they did to the campus Young Democrats in 2009). They point is they made their bed and no conference in FBS is taking them knowing that end goal is not to better the conference but to promote a political agenda. And they really need to sop comparing themselves to Notre Dame or BYU or any other Christian university. They stand out like a sore them on the fringe. Own it Liberty.

Disingenuous Gee Whillickers Liberty Response in 3...2...1...

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - AndreWhere - 07-23-2012 08:14 PM

(07-22-2012 07:45 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 07:16 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  

Gosh Golly...I defy you to find anything like this at Cal or Notre Dame or any other FBS school for that matter.

03-shhhh

Catholic academia actually leans pretty hard to the left. Look at the Catholic Church in Latin America. Under the guise of something called "liberation theology," the Church has taken some quasi-Communist stances in those parts of the world where there is still a meaningful difference between the political right and the political left. I'm not sure what contorted logic the people at Liberty use to convince themselves that Jesus was a sort of proto-Israelite Dan Quayle, but the conclusions they draw strike me as fairly ridiculous. To try and conflate Liberty with Notre Dame is similarly absurd. They haven't been playing on the same side since the days of Martin Luther.

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - Liberty Fan - 07-24-2012 05:51 AM

(07-23-2012 08:14 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  Catholic academia actually leans pretty hard to the left.

"My" Catholic friends disagree?
http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0140.html

I'm not sure what contorted logic the people at Liberty use to convince themselves that Jesus was a sort of proto-Israelite Dan Quayle, but the conclusions they draw strike me as fairly ridiculous.

They don't?
http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/incaa1.htm

To try and conflate Liberty with Notre Dame is similarly absurd. They haven't been playing on the same side since the days of Martin Luther.

Politically, Protestants and Catholics are on the same page today more than ever?

Folks that agree with you have successfully removed God from our schools. That's working out nicely? So I guess what you're saying is, now we need to purge the NCAA of any practicing Christian Universities. Sounds like a GREAT idea? 01-ncaabbs

RE: Sun Belt Commissioner: 'We were trying to stay a step ahead of C-USA' - panama - 07-24-2012 08:18 AM

Will settle for purging Christianity of politics. 05-stirthepot

At any rate nobody is touching you guys. Not even the CAA.