CSNbbs
ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. (/thread-572397.html)

Pages: 1 2

ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - Monarchs - 05-30-2012 08:29 AM

Matt Norlander on ODU, CAA, C-USA, Conference Realignment:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19113778/rest-is-unrest-why-conference-realignments-storm-never-ends

One thought on the CAA:

Quote: the Colonial will likely be reduced to a boilerplate amalgam of one-bid-worthy inhabitants.

He also has some very strong words about C-USA:

Quote:I've no idea how Old Dominion, a program still not technically a member of the FBS, pried its way into Conference USA. I guess it says more for that league and its complete lack of direction than anything when it took on a football program still wiping the vernix off itself (Texas-San Antonio and Charlotte are other babies-in-the-basket C-USA has taken in; on the football side, the league is hilariously displaying how football can make a league cake on 15 pounds of makeup and think they're part of the beauty contest).

I do have an issue with him saying ODU left the CAA "in secret". From this quote, Yeager himself said the lines of communication were open, and the split seemed as amicable as it could be: "The CAA had an open dialogue with President Broderick and C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky throughout ODU's evaluation process, but ultimately Conference USA was the desired destination," Yeager said in a statement. "The conference wishes the university well as it pursues these new interests." [Source]

Your thoughts on the article? The future of the CAA? (He seems to think it's certain; I'm not so sure.) C-USA being "caked with 15 pounds of makeup?

PS. Take a look at that picture of Blaine twirling the net above his head. I remember standing on the floor of the Big Brown Dump watching him do that ridiculous and hilarious "come hither" sexy belly dance. 01-donnankungfu

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - bit_9 - 05-30-2012 08:58 AM

Hah, I was there for that as well.

Sounds kind like a page from Bobs book of doom and gloom writing. Got us to read it w/out much research on the topic.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - Monarch_Pride - 05-30-2012 11:42 AM

Taking young football schools obviously isn't a short-term solution, so this guy mistakenly paints it as an attempt by C-USA as such. We have been taken in, as well as UTSA and UNCC, because of our high ceilings. We have fans. Kids love to play for fans. Therefore, we'll have a great shot at doing well. Oh, and we're in high-ranking markets to top it off... We have fan bases who can continue to grow tremendously. Taking us in was a good investment by C-USA.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - FearTheLion - 05-30-2012 03:44 PM

I'm ok wth UTSA and us because there is a proven draw. UNCC is a shocker not having played a game. If they pull a Ga State and struggle to get a fanbase, it will be a big embarrassment to this once proud league. That said, I think they have proven to be engaging in basketball and they made the investment to build on campus. They were with us in a 4 bid Sun Belt back in the day, so I see their bottom as being above GSU's ceiling--just like ODU.

I expect this to be a nice league over time if they can keep the schools together.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - ODUalum78 - 05-30-2012 04:46 PM

(05-30-2012 03:44 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  I'm ok wth UTSA and us because there is a proven draw. UNCC is a shocker not having played a game. If they pull a Ga State and struggle to get a fanbase, it will be a big embarrassment to this once proud league. That said, I think they have proven to be engaging in basketball and they made the investment to build on campus. They were with us in a 4 bid Sun Belt back in the day, so I see their bottom as being above GSU's ceiling--just like ODU.

I expect this to be a nice league over time if they can keep the schools together.
The CUSA went after markets. Kind of like the old Tex Schramm philosophy of "draft the best pure athlete, we'll make him a football player."
I think UNCC will not be a repeat the of GaSt.
The stadium will be on campus.
They have hired a relatively young head coach with plenty of enthusiasm.
Unlike GaSt, they have no real collegiate competition (Davidson). In fact they have less than ODU (Hampton, W&M and Norf St) but they do have pro teams.
Charlotte is essentially like Norfolk, a huge untapped college football and basketball market.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - djnva - 05-30-2012 08:33 PM

When he screws the EASILY verifiable thing about ODU leaving "in secret" I can't really take anything he says seriously.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - HerdZoned - 05-30-2012 11:30 PM

(05-30-2012 03:44 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  UNCC is a shocker not having played a game.

Charlotte was a member of CUSA from 1995-2004. Still have the same president and AD. So the relationships with most schools was still there. Was much easier letting Charlotte back in than say looking at MTSU or WKU.

The shocker to me was UTSA. I don't dislike UTSA but they really don't have comparable facilities to any CUSA member including new members Charlotte or ODU. There are better facilities in the Southland and SoCon.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - mufanatehc - 05-31-2012 10:10 PM

(05-30-2012 11:30 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(05-30-2012 03:44 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  UNCC is a shocker not having played a game.

Charlotte was a member of CUSA from 1995-2004. Still have the same president and AD. So the relationships with most schools was still there. Was much easier letting Charlotte back in than say looking at MTSU or WKU.

The shocker to me was UTSA. I don't dislike UTSA but they really don't have comparable facilities to any CUSA member including new members Charlotte or ODU. There are better facilities in the Southland and SoCon.

I believe they are in the planning stages of a new arena, which would help dramatically.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - djnva - 06-02-2012 10:31 PM

I LOVE UTSA's logo. I may get a t-shirt. This would be the first time I ever bought a t-shirt of a conference rival.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - ODUsmitty - 06-03-2012 11:02 PM

I have a VCU t-shirt, and it does a fine job in cleaning our toilets.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - EverRespect - 06-04-2012 07:35 AM

I will avoid naming names because they are all conference mates none theless, but out of the 6lighthouse new adds, Id say 3 if the choices were terrible and will drag this conference down.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - Monarchs - 06-04-2012 07:37 AM

(06-03-2012 11:02 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  I have a VCU t-shirt, and it does a fine job in cleaning our toilets.

Nice. +1

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - pandorazboxx - 06-04-2012 09:48 AM

Meep meep!

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - whitley47 - 06-09-2012 04:23 PM

(05-31-2012 10:10 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  
(05-30-2012 11:30 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

I believe they are in the planning stages of a new arena, which would help dramatically.
(06-02-2012 10:31 PM)djnva Wrote:  I LOVE UTSA's logo. I may get a t-shirt. This would be the first time I ever bought a t-shirt of a conference rival.

I hold a bit of interest for ODU sports as I spent a little time at Ft. Belvoir and Bragg during my time in service, so I was able to catch a game at ECU and was able to read about ODU's basketball program in the local papers while there, albeit several years ago. So I have a little bit of exposure to your backyard. And much like djnva I plan on picking up my ODU shirt whenever we play our first game in Foreman, since I too have a few shirts of teams that I like. Also, l like the look of your site here with the Lion's Den moniker. Good job to whoever did the work.
Regardless, in terms of our facilities I suspect FeartheLion is referring to our basketball, baseball, track and field, and soccer facilities as the Alamodome is an excellent place to enjoy a football game. For those that don't know we set NCAA attendance records at an average of 35K per game and were around 56,500 for our best showing, and since this realignment is about $$ UTSA made sense for CUSA. Needless to say, the Alamodome and Riverwalk combo is an excellent venue for our football games so I'm sure ODU fans will enjoy the trip. As for our other sports, we are building a new facilities complex (Park West) and broke ground about 6 weeks ago. Our presentation to CUSA officials (when we were trying to get the invite) included the San Antonio business/city political heads and Chamber of Commerce officials articulating financial support to help assure CUSA that we are and will be building appropriate facilities in the interim. So while we may be a work in progress, we certainly have tremendous upside for our non-football sports as well. But as for football FearTheLion there is nobody in the Southland or SoCon and very few non-AQ FBS programs, that are even remotely close to what we have brought on game day. Again, I definitely believe you guys will enjoy the experience but as far as our football program goes, there are few if any non-AQ facilities that can top what the Alamodome can bring.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - FearTheLion - 06-09-2012 10:11 PM

Whitley, my only comment about UTSA was that there is a proven draw and I am speaking of the football startup. I'm very familiar with the phenomenal start as well as the size of that market and I think it was a very good choice. Perhaps someone else here expressed some doubts but I think you all have proven a successful model just as we have.

I just hope Charlotte does well. CUSA cannot afford to have a program that cannot even excite its own fans. Because they are investing in an on campus stadium, I think they can do well. But we don't know before they play, which is why I thought the invite was odd.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - ODUalum78 - 07-13-2012 10:54 AM

Uh oh!

I had been very optimistic about the future of the CAA.
However, while they may be just fine in the long run, I think today's news is not good; at all.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/jul/13/tdsport01-caa-hopes-to-add-new-members-by-the-end--ar-2053536/

For him to make this announcement today means that something has, or will soon, come out that he wants to diffuse.
It seems that he went out of his way to make it known that there WILL be additions. Ya think???
Really???
And hopefully by the end of the summer...ouch.

That is a far cry from the confident "two weeks" he stated a week ago.

Yeager said that no applications have been made and no offers have been extended.
That is the silly rhetoric of conference alignment. There are never "offers" unless there are guarantees of acceptance, and there are never "applications" unless there are guaranteed offers.
That he made this statement today probably means the end of a phase; unfortunately without success.

It looks like some negotiations have broken down and the timeline has been extended; probably in order to start negotiations with "plan B" schools.

I hope he is not having to "step back and punt", but it sure looks that way.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - djnva - 07-13-2012 01:00 PM

(07-13-2012 10:54 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  I hope he is not having to "step back and punt", but it sure looks that way.

He can punt all day. It's not our conference anymore.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - TedHead - 07-13-2012 01:05 PM

(07-13-2012 01:00 PM)djnva Wrote:  
(07-13-2012 10:54 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  I hope he is not having to "step back and punt", but it sure looks that way.

LOL, true DJ, They can offer TCC and I could care less.

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - ODUalum78 - 07-13-2012 01:18 PM

(07-13-2012 01:00 PM)djnva Wrote:  

+1

RE: ODU, the CAA, C-USA, and Realignment Storms.. - Monarchs - 07-13-2012 02:15 PM

lol @ this GIANT picture of Yeager's head.

Poor CAA.

[Image: yeager13py]