CSNbbs
Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says $3.6 Billion Possible - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says $3.6 Billion Possible (/thread-572002.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says $3.6 Billion Possible - Attackcoog - 05-26-2012 05:33 PM

From the Harford Courant----

But New York-based sports media consultant Lee Berke believes that history will show that the Big East was wise to wait.

"As tempting as it may have been, the marketplace has only gotten hotter in the interim," Berke said. "There are only a relatively fixed number of major college and professional sports out there, but there is an increasing number of potential outlets bidding for those properties. … Honestly, I think there they are going to do substantially better. They've added some strong up-and-coming football schools in strong markets throughout the country. I think that's going to pay off for them, with the caveat that they remain stable."

Also, there was this tidbit--

So from where Carter sits in Pac-12 country, the Big East might be hard-pressed to secure a TV deal that matches, say, the ACC's deal with ESPN. But if more than one outlet is bidding, the Big East can certainly match or exceed the deal it bypassed last year.

Berke, who has worked with many college and professional teams and assisted the Yankees in launching the YES Network, has a more optimistic view for the Big East. He said that the Big East can ultimately fetch a rights fee in the range of the ACC's $3.6 billion deal, but only if the conference remains intact by the fall.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-big-east-tv-0527-20120526,0,4122916.story?page=1

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Lord2FLI - 05-26-2012 07:15 PM

Holy crap, at $60M we'll be tied up for the next 60 years! lol!

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - TripleA - 05-26-2012 07:16 PM

Haha, $3.6B sounds pretty good. Most of us want to hold together and get more dollars, but if some get an invite and leave, hit the road ASAP. Let's get this over with, and get the best deal we can.

Re: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - cbhstiger - 05-26-2012 07:17 PM

Sounds good to me

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Wooglin157 - 05-26-2012 07:58 PM

This naming of actual sources is a despicable act on part of the newspaper. For shame, Hartford-Courant, for shame!

$60m or bust! The unnamed sources have shown me the light!

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Bull - 05-26-2012 08:05 PM

(05-26-2012 07:31 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  
(05-26-2012 07:29 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  wait for what?

The nattering naybobs of negativity.

LOL Of course... Why, we CAN'T POSSIBLY get a better deal than that pinnacle of football power... the ACC!!! 04-rock

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Topkat - 05-26-2012 08:44 PM

(05-26-2012 07:15 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Holy crap, at $60M we'll be tied up for the next 60 years! lol!

lol... good one.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - TampaKnight - 05-26-2012 09:06 PM

This deal will not be above $1 billion, just not possible.

jk We'll get something good. 04-cheers

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - BE Tex - 05-26-2012 09:10 PM

I see nobody is questioning this source because it gives what the people what they want to hear. I on the other hand, question this source...That is quite high for a conference that has practically change from what it was before.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Comet - 05-26-2012 09:12 PM

I don't personally see it, unless we get BYU and AirForce and NBC wants to overpay. Either way though, can we get this crap over with? So tired of talking about fantasy numbers vs. abysmal numbers. I just want to watch some football/basketball.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Topkat - 05-26-2012 09:16 PM

It looked to me like he had two sources doing the devils advocate thing.

One source was very optimistic (3.6B), the other saying he didn't think the BE could match the ACC numbers, but could get more than offered the first go round of negotiations if multiple bidders got involved.

So, we have people all over the map. It was good to see the sources named and their backgrounds.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Cubanbull - 05-26-2012 09:20 PM

The reality is that there is NOT just ONE correct contract amount. We will find out in Sept when real numbers start to come out. Till then I don't get too excited either way.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Maize - 05-26-2012 09:28 PM

(05-26-2012 09:10 PM)BE Tex Wrote:  

I see nobody is questioning this source because it gives what the people what they want to hear. I on the other hand, question this source...That is quite high for a conference that has practically change from what it was before.

Nobody is "questioning" the source because he put his "name" on it...as for the other "unnamed" source...it is what it is..."unnamed"...he didn't own what he was saying.

You have Pilson and now this one saying one thing...a very good deal for the BIG EAST...you have another saying an extremely crappy deal for the BIG EAST...yet you want to go for the "unnamed" source because in your heart of hearts you really don't want Boise State to leave the MWC even though that shipped has sailed and the folks in Boise are grinning ear to ear.

Myself, on this stuff wake me when the BCS Revenue Sharing/Bowl Lineup/Conference Realignment & Media Deals are complete.

As for BSU not staying in the cash straped MWC...Get over it...Boise State will be playing BIG EAST Football in 2013...07-coffee3

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - quo vadis - 05-26-2012 09:52 PM

I'm not sure why these outlets always mention the raw dollars, like "$3.6 billion". That tells us nothing about whether it is a good deal or not. $3.6 billion over 5 years would be mind-bogglingly good, but spread over 20 years it would suck. What we need to know is the amount per-school, per-year.

Let's hope it's a lot closer to 5 years than 20 years. 04-cheers

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Borncoog74 - 05-26-2012 09:56 PM

(05-26-2012 09:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I'm not sure why these outlets always mention the raw dollars, like "$3.6 billion". That tells us nothing about whether it is a good deal or not. $3.6 billion over 5 years would be mind-bogglingly good, but spread over 20 years it would suck. What we need to know is the amount per-school, per-year.

Thank you.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Maize - 05-26-2012 10:05 PM

(05-26-2012 09:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I'm not sure why these outlets always mention the raw dollars, like "$3.6 billion". That tells us nothing about whether it is a good deal or not. $3.6 billion over 5 years would be mind-bogglingly good, but spread over 20 years it would suck. What we need to know is the amount per-school, per-year.

It is pretty much now known that TV Media deals are usually around 14 to 15 years so if it is $60 Million Per year-($900 Million) or 2.5 to 3.6 Billion look for it to be in the 14-15 year window in regards to length.

But really, wait until the deal is announced...they were way low on the now Pac 12 Deal just a month before it was announced.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - UpStreamRedTeam - 05-26-2012 10:11 PM

Based on 70/30 football/basketball split, 14 football, 18 basketball teams, the per team payout on a 20 year contract would $9M for football and $3M for basketball which would be more than ESPN's offer last year.

At 10 years it would be $18M/$6M and at 15 years it would be $12M/$4M.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Attackcoog - 05-26-2012 10:27 PM

(05-26-2012 10:11 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  

Based on 70/30 football/basketball split, 14 football, 18 basketball teams, the per team payout on a 20 year contract would $9M for football and $3M for basketball which would be more than ESPN's offer last year.

At 10 years it would be $18M/$6M and at 15 years it would be $12M/$4M.

It seems most of the recent media deals have been 15 year deals. However, it appears the Big East (as well as CUSA) have typically opted for contracts of shorter duration. For what its worth, the ESPN deal rejected by the Big East last year was a 9 year deal.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - TripleA - 05-26-2012 10:31 PM

Well, the smart thing to do is ignore all the estimates, b/c nobody has a damn clue until September, and even then, it'll likely be November before we hear some real numbers.

I actually agree with Quo. Using total contract numbers doesn't mean jack.

The more accurate number to pin down, if one could, would be the yearly average. The last offer from ESPN was about $110M a year, for 9 Years, right? For 9 FB teams.

Even the ACC number is goofy, and hard to pin down. The media keeps saying $155M a year (which I think is what it is NOW), and $17.1M average per team, per year, which is much higher for 14 teams ($239M total a year), or even 12 teams ($205M).

So, who the hell knows? I'll just be happy if everybody stays together, and we get the best offer available in open bidding.

Oh well, it's the off season, nothing much better to debate, and this estimate beats the hell out of the anonymous one, lol.

RE: Article---Big East Looks For A Big TV Deal--Expert Says 3.6 Billion Possible - Attackcoog - 05-26-2012 10:47 PM

(05-26-2012 10:31 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Well, the smart thing to do is ignore all the estimates, b/c nobody has a damn clue until September, and even then, it'll likely be November before we hear some real numbers.

I actually agree with Quo. Using total contract numbers doesn't mean jack.

The more accurate number to pin down, if one could, would be the yearly average. The last offer from ESPN was about $110M a year, for 9 Years, right? For 9 FB teams.

Even the ACC number is goofy, and hard to pin down. The media keeps saying $155M a year (which I think is what it is NOW), and $17.1M average per team, per year, which is much higher for 14 teams ($239M total a year), or even 12 teams ($205M).

So, who the hell knows? I'll just be happy if everybody stays together, and we get the best offer available in open bidding.

Oh well, it's the off season, nothing much better to debate, and this estimate beats the hell out of the anonymous one, lol.

Like I said yesterday, its very early---but its nice to see that the low ball estimate does not appear to be a very widely held opinion in the industry. If we are anywhere near these numbers being quoted, then the Big East is likley to become a much more stable place to be.