CSNbbs
What does the WAC do now? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-517.html)
+----- Forum: Realignment Archives (/forum-937.html)
+----- Thread: What does the WAC do now? (/thread-568482.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What does the WAC do now? - orangefan - 05-04-2012 11:19 AM

As of this moment, the WAC has 6 schools for the 2013-14 academic year. This is insufficient to meet the 7 school requirement of the NCAA for a multisport conference. Obviously, UTA is also rumored to be on the way to the SBC and BSU, NMSU and UI have to be assumed at risk.

Further, without football, it needs to add two men's team sports in which 6 members compete to meet NCAA requirements. Eligible team sports include baseball, soccer, volleyball, ice hockey, lacrosse and water polo. Of the six current members, only 3 play baseball (UTA, Seattle and NMSU) and 2 play soccer (Denver and Seattle). The conference must add schools that play baseball and the entire conference should look at adding Men's Volleyball, which requires only 4.5 scholarships.

The most obvious additions are Cal State-Bakersfield, which is already in D-1 and which is an affiliate member of the WAC in baseball. Utah Valley University is also already in D1 and has a baseball team.

Beyond those two schools, the conference is really looking at D2 move ups. Some candidates include Grand Canyon University, which has varsity teams in baseball, men's soccer, and men's volleyball, Cal State Los Angeles (varsity baseball and men's soccer), and UC San Diego (varsity baseball, men's soccer, and men's volleyball).

Frankly, the conference should grab as many as will come.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - CommuterBob - 05-04-2012 11:24 AM

Or it could go get 6 more FCS move-ups. N. Dakota, NDSU, Montana, Montana St., S. Dakota St., would be a good start, but would have to find at least one more to get there.

It's going to be interesting to say the least.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - Wedge - 05-04-2012 11:29 AM

Everyone still in the WAC is trying desperately to leave, so no one is going to join other than orphans like Bakersfield and Utah Valley.

As I said in another thread, UI and NMSU just need to hang on any way they can for another year or two, until Louisville and maybe others move to the Big 12 and everyone farther down the food chain backfills in turn.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - PirateMarv - 05-04-2012 11:30 AM

As we are finding out with ODU it costs a school a few bucks to go from FCS to FBS, so a lot of FCS schools may not be willing to jump up. It maybe time to disband, because the MWC, CUSA and the SBC are just going to keep raiding.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - wvucrazed - 05-04-2012 11:31 AM

In a perfect world, you'd see something like this:

Seattle (non-FB)
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Idaho
Boise State (non-FB)
Montana
Montana State
Weber State
Sacramento State
Cal Poly SLO
UC - Davis
Denver (non-FB)
New Mexico State

I suspect that is unlikely to happen.

I figure Boise State will eventually buy their way into the Big West, and Seattle and Denver could end up in the WCC and/or Summit. NMSU I think will eventually get the call to the Sun Belt. Idaho will probably be forced to soldier on as an Independent for the time being.

Really it all depends on one school: Montana. If they make the move up, the floodgates will open. But things are in such disarray right now at Montana for a variety of issues that it's hard to imagine that they'd make the move promptly enough to be able to salvage the WAC.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - dbackjon - 05-04-2012 11:40 AM

(05-04-2012 11:31 AM)wvucrazed Wrote:  In a perfect world, you'd see something like this:

Seattle (non-FB)
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Idaho
Boise State (non-FB)
Montana
Montana State
Weber State
Sacramento State
Cal Poly SLO
UC - Davis
Denver (non-FB)
New Mexico State

I suspect that is unlikely to happen.

I figure Boise State will eventually buy their way into the Big West, and Seattle and Denver could end up in the WCC and/or Summit. NMSU I think will eventually get the call to the Sun Belt. Idaho will probably be forced to soldier on as an Independent for the time being.

Really it all depends on one school: Montana. If they make the move up, the floodgates will open. But things are in such disarray right now at Montana for a variety of issues that it's hard to imagine that they'd make the move promptly enough to be able to salvage the WAC.

Why is that the perfect world? Why gut one conference just to save another?
Most of those schools are no where able to move to FBS football

Montana is NOT moving up anytime soon. The AD and football coach were fired, in part because they continued to agitate behind the University President's back to move to FBS, even though the President and the BOR firmly oppose such a move at this time.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - ECUPirated - 05-04-2012 11:52 AM

The word "ABYSS" comes to mind.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - BullsFanInTX - 05-04-2012 12:21 PM

The WAC just needs to start adding teams left and right. Anyone, who cares who it is.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - chargeradio - 05-04-2012 12:38 PM

Utah Valley
Cal State-Bakersfield
Texas-Pan American

Add that to Boise State, Idaho, Seattle, Denver, and New Mexico State and life will go on, at least without football. If some more members are desired, add UC-San Diego and Grand Canyon from Division II. The WAC could also add two more in Texas if an FCS football home can be arranged, or if they're not football playing schools.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - NuMexAg - 05-04-2012 01:29 PM

I fear the WAC is dead. Completely. Boise is trying to get their oly sports to the Big West. I suspect they will be successful (money talks loud).

Not sure what NMSU and Idaho are trying to do (Sun Belt of course - but that seems very unlikely for oly sports), but I'm sure they are looking at every option they can think of not named WAC.

Assuming UTA leaves (and I think they will) and Boise leaves that means there are only 4 schools left. To be a certified league for the NCAA the WAC needs 7(?). Not too many choices left to add. UVU, CS-Bako, UTPA. Maybe they will all join. It would be a rag-tag league for sure.

For NMSU I think they will try to get their BB program aligned elsewhere. THere have been rumors of the MVC even (not substantiated).

RE: What does the WAC do now? - SubGod22 - 05-04-2012 01:39 PM

(05-04-2012 01:29 PM)NuMexAg Wrote:  I fear the WAC is dead. Completely. Boise is trying to get their oly sports to the Big West. I suspect they will be successful (money talks loud).

Not sure what NMSU and Idaho are trying to do (Sun Belt of course - but that seems very unlikely for oly sports), but I'm sure they are looking at every option they can think of not named WAC.

Assuming UTA leaves (and I think they will) and Boise leaves that means there are only 4 schools left. To be a certified league for the NCAA the WAC needs 7(?). Not too many choices left to add. UVU, CS-Bako, UTPA. Maybe they will all join. It would be a rag-tag league for sure.

For NMSU I think they will try to get their BB program aligned elsewhere. THere have been rumors of the MVC even (not substantiated).

That'd be a lot of travel for NMSU and there'd be strong resistence from the likes of Evansville and Indiana State and probably Drake and Northern Iowa. But if the WAC is falling apart and NMSU needs a home for everything but football, I wouldn't mind seeing them added to the MVC. May have to add another team on the eastern side with you just to make the above happy. Maybe Milwaukee. But that would make travel even more difficult if that's an issue with NMSU. I have no idea. But a strong basketball program would always be welcomed by me and many others in the Valley.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - OwlFamily - 05-04-2012 02:31 PM

(05-04-2012 01:29 PM)NuMexAg Wrote:  I fear the WAC is dead. Completely. Boise is trying to get their oly sports to the Big West. I suspect they will be successful (money talks loud).

I think its time to call in the mortician.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7891047/texas-arlington-mavericks-moving-sun-belt-source-says

RE: What does the WAC do now? - stever20 - 05-04-2012 02:34 PM

The UTA move is in a lot of ways a meh move. The thing that would make the WAC attractive now is the close footprint that the WAC has. UTA hurt that.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - loki_the_bubba - 05-04-2012 02:35 PM

WAC should split into divisions so they can have a conference championship game.

WAC-North
Idaho

WAC-South
NMSU

Money will roll in.

RE: What does the WAC do now? - Wedge - 05-04-2012 02:40 PM

(05-04-2012 02:35 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  WAC should split into divisions so they can have a conference championship game.

WAC-North
Idaho

WAC-South
NMSU

Money will roll in.

The first place teams in each division should play a best-of-9 playoff series for the conference title. "The SEC has one conference title game? Ha! We laugh at their puny one-game conference title match. We have a 9-game conference title series."

RE: What does the WAC do now? - CommuterBob - 05-04-2012 02:46 PM

(05-04-2012 02:35 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  WAC should split into divisions so they can have a conference championship game.

WAC-North
Idaho

WAC-South
NMSU

Money will roll in.

Can you really call it a championship game if you play it 8 times a season, though?

RE: What does the WAC do now? - dbackjon - 05-04-2012 02:55 PM

(05-04-2012 02:46 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

WAC-North
Idaho

WAC-South
NMSU

Money will roll in.

Can you really call it a championship game if you play it 8 times a season, though?

But the last one really, really counts

RE: What does the WAC do now? - CommuterBob - 05-04-2012 03:11 PM

(05-04-2012 02:31 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  I think its time to call in the mortician.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7891047/texas-arlington-mavericks-moving-sun-belt-source-says

And then, there were 5.

Seattle - doesn't have another conference as a D2 move-up, WCC?
Boise - Big West?
NMSU - return to SBC?
Denver - return to SBC?
Idaho - Big Sky?

RE: What does the WAC do now? - epasnoopy - 05-04-2012 03:14 PM

(05-04-2012 12:21 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  The WAC just needs to start adding teams left and right. Anyone, who cares who it is.

The NCAA needs to step in and not allow that to happen.

I think it is time for the WAC to die. Going out and adding a bunch of teams that shouldn't be playing 1-A football is only going to dilute the product more and just delay the inevitable demise that the WAC currently faces.

Programs like Charlotte, UTSA, Texas St, etc. should have been competing on the lower level first before moving up to show that they can compete and sustain a football program.

I hope for the sake of 1-A football that the NCAA looks at creating some sort of rule that keeps brand new startups from playing at the highest level immediately. What if these schools aren't competitive for a long time and find that they don't have the money for a long-term commitment to 1-A football?

RE: What does the WAC do now? - stever20 - 05-04-2012 03:20 PM

(05-04-2012 03:14 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 12:21 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  The WAC just needs to start adding teams left and right. Anyone, who cares who it is.

The NCAA needs to step in and not allow that to happen.

I think it is time for the WAC to die. Going out and adding a bunch of teams that shouldn't be playing 1-A football is only going to dilute the product more and just delay the inevitable demise that the WAC currently faces.

Programs like Charlotte, UTSA, Texas St, etc. should have been competing on the lower level first before moving up to show that they can compete and sustain a football program.

I hope for the sake of 1-A football that the NCAA looks at creating some sort of rule that keeps brand new startups from playing at the highest level immediately. What if these schools aren't competitive for a long time and find that they don't have the money for a long-term commitment to 1-A football?

Huge difference though. Montana has WON the FCS National Championship. If they can't compete, no FCS school should ever be allowed to move up. None of the schools that the WAC would be getting would be start ups.