CSNbbs
OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois Archives (/forum-792.html)
+----- Thread: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness (/thread-562408.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - Howl-n-Prowl - 03-20-2012 05:32 PM

I guess he really is Smart.

Source: ABC 7 News

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - MaddDawgz02 - 03-20-2012 05:40 PM

That is a BLACK eye for the Illini, wow

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - UIHuskie - 03-20-2012 05:46 PM

(03-20-2012 05:40 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  That is a BLACK eye for the Illini, wow

Eh, he turned down NC State and Maryland last year. That's worked out ok for NC State (Sweet 16) and Maryland ended up with a terrific coach in Mark Turgeon. He may just want to be like Mark Few and be happy making plenty of money at VCU without the pressure/hassle of a larger program. He's making like $1.2 million a year at VCU, so he's plenty wealthy even at that salary.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - DiehardHuskie - 03-20-2012 05:59 PM

No surprise. People close to his camp said he wasn't going to Illinois, not sure why the Illin fans were all lathered up about it. That being said, 03-lmfao

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - UIHuskie - 03-20-2012 06:20 PM

CBS Sports is now reporting he hasn't turned down Illinois and is still considering the offer.

Coaching searches are so much fun.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - MaddDawgz02 - 03-20-2012 06:35 PM

(03-20-2012 06:20 PM)UIHuskie Wrote:  CBS Sports is now reporting he hasn't turned down Illinois and is still considering the offer.

Coaching searches are so much fun.

There have got to be better coaches out there than Shaka, I refuse to believe this is the best candidate Illinois can zero in on. Frustrating times for our friends downstate.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - cagy cager - 03-20-2012 06:35 PM

that CBS report means the Illini have upped the offer.....when they get to 2.75 mill for 5 years, he will call the moving truck headed to champaign

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - UIHuskie - 03-20-2012 06:36 PM

(03-20-2012 06:35 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  There have got to be better coaches out there than Shaka, I refuse to believe this is the best candidate Illinois can zero in on. Frustrating times for our friends downstate.

I'm actually not frustrated at all, and the fanbase isn't either, really.

This is an honest question, too...who do you think would be a better hire?

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - niu79 - 03-20-2012 07:23 PM

(03-20-2012 06:36 PM)UIHuskie Wrote:  
(03-20-2012 06:35 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  There have got to be better coaches out there than Shaka, I refuse to believe this is the best candidate Illinois can zero in on. Frustrating times for our friends downstate.

I'm actually not frustrated at all, and the fanbase isn't either, really.

This is an honest question, too...who do you think would be a better hire?

Smart would be a great hire for Illinois. Only better choice would be if they could coax Buzz Williams to leave Marquette.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - UIHuskie - 03-20-2012 07:25 PM

(03-20-2012 07:23 PM)niu79 Wrote:  Smart would be a great hire for Illinois. Only better choice would be if they could coax Buzz Williams to leave Marquette.

I don't think Marquette would let that happen; his buyout is massive from what I have heard and they can probably match any money Illinois could offer.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - niutwo two - 03-20-2012 10:08 PM

Cagey Cager, did you mean 2.75 per year or 2.75 total for five years. I am not sure why buzz would be any better, shaka has done as much as anyone in college bball lately except brad stevens. I do not see Illinois being better than Msu, Wisky, Osu or even IU in the near future. I believe U of I fans and athletics have a unrealistic view of who they are and can be. I didnt even mention Purdue and Michigan. Shaka probably would not bring a national championship to illinois but he would have them in the top 4-5 of the Bigten year in and out. Maddowg, he is the number 1 canidate in college bball right now!

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - cagy cager - 03-20-2012 10:13 PM

The new illini coach will get a total of at least $12,500,000 over at least a 5 year contract. 2.75 mill spread over 5 years could barely hire you a MAC coach now. Money talks and maybe Shaka walks--read about Danny Hurley who said in January 20212 that he was "not that guy" who leaves a job after the first year and now, only 60 days later he is at Rhode Island...when they want you and back up the brinks truck and make all the other promises--they usually get you.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - Howl-n-Prowl - 03-20-2012 10:14 PM

I think Smart's salary at VCU is $1.2 Million/year.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - 7 - 03-20-2012 10:15 PM

It was in a column earlier today. Illinois is offering him more than double what he's making at VCU.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - UIHuskie - 03-20-2012 10:20 PM

(03-20-2012 10:08 PM)niutwo two Wrote:  Cagey Cager, did you mean 2.75 per year or 2.75 total for five years. I am not sure why buzz would be any better, shaka has done as much as anyone in college bball lately except brad stevens. I do not see Illinois being better than Msu, Wisky, Osu or even IU in the near future. I believe U of I fans and athletics have a unrealistic view of who they are and can be. I didnt even mention Purdue and Michigan. Shaka probably would not bring a national championship to illinois but he would have them in the top 4-5 of the Bigten year in and out. Maddowg, he is the number 1 canidate in college bball right now!

Considering that, historically, is what Illinois has been, that would be the expectation.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - DiehardHuskie - 03-20-2012 10:24 PM

Comcast just reported that Shaka is staying at VCU.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - Howl-n-Prowl - 03-20-2012 10:42 PM

The original source of the report (ABC 7 News) now reports that the Illness just keeps upping the money and is up to $3 million/year.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - cagy cager - 03-20-2012 11:03 PM

I think 3 mill for 7 years (21 mill total) will get Shaka or some big name coach

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - MaddDawgz02 - 03-21-2012 12:09 AM

I think Illinois is overvaluing this guy. I was thinking just how powerful is Tom Izzo. A few people on the radio the past few weeks laid out conspiracy theorists on why Izzo was so public for his criticism of how Illinois handled Weber's firing. Some believed Izzo was trying to gain a competitive edge by pointing out Illini dysfunction. I thought it was a dumb idea at the time, but now that I think about I could totally see Izzo doing this. Makes me wonder if Izzo's comments may have played some part in Shaka's hesitation.

RE: OT: Report has Shaka Smart REJECTING the Illness - MaddDawgz02 - 03-21-2012 12:11 AM

(03-20-2012 10:13 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  The new illini coach will get a total of at least $12,500,000 over at least a 5 year contract. 2.75 mill spread over 5 years could barely hire you a MAC coach now. Money talks and maybe Shaka walks--read about Danny Hurley who said in January 20212 that he was "not that guy" who leaves a job after the first year and now, only 60 days later he is at Rhode Island...when they want you and back up the brinks truck and make all the other promises--they usually get you.

Illinois is running things the same way businesses go bankrupt. What a mess, full fledge panic mode.