CSNbbs
Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament (/thread-560988.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - ollin - 03-13-2012 01:29 PM

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2012/3/13/MBB_0313122020.aspx

Quote:Syracuse University sophomore men's basketball center Fab Melo did not travel with the team to Pittsburgh, and will not take part in the NCAA Tournament due to an eligibility issue. Given University policy and federal student privacy laws, no further details can be provided at this time.

Talk about bad timing.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - CommuterBob - 03-13-2012 01:31 PM

Better change those brackets!!

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - WacoBearcat - 03-13-2012 01:33 PM

You have got to be kidding me. What a mess Syracuse basketball has become.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - Frank the Tank - 03-13-2012 01:33 PM

Well, that's changing my brackets considerably. Yikes!

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - stever20 - 03-13-2012 01:34 PM

2nd rd game with Kansas St/Southern Miss could be very dangerous. If they make it past there- Wisconsin/Vanderbilt lurks followed by Ohio St.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - CD11 - 03-13-2012 01:39 PM

Had them in the elite eight losing to the buckeyes, and i'll stick with that for now.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - CalallenStang - 03-13-2012 01:40 PM

(03-13-2012 01:34 PM)stever20 Wrote:  2nd rd game with Kansas St/Southern Miss could be very dangerous. If they make it past there- Wisconsin/Vanderbilt lurks followed by Ohio St.

They will still take care of KSU/USM and Wisconsin/Harvard in round 3. Don't see them getting past OSU without Melo though

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - CardinalJim - 03-13-2012 01:45 PM

Just curious why they didn't make him ineligible for The Big East Tournament? Why upset the balance of the entire NCAA tournament by waiting to be named a 1 seed then making this announcement. Something about this doesn't pass the smell test.
CJ

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - WacoBearcat - 03-13-2012 01:46 PM

(03-13-2012 01:45 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Just curious why they didn't make him ineligible for The Big East Tournament? Why upset the balance of the entire NCAA tournament by waiting to be named a 1 seed then making this announcement. Something about this doesn't pass the smell test.
CJ

Yep. Syracuse basketball smells pretty bad right now. I hate to see it.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - SuperFlyBCat - 03-13-2012 01:53 PM

Man does that suck. So what changed from earlier in the season.
I remember when UC lost Charles Williams on the eve of the tourney one year.
We easily dispatched Butler, but we lost on a last second missed shot vs. Iowa St.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - Bearcat_Bounce - 03-13-2012 01:55 PM

I've got Kansas State over Syracuse even with Melo, now I am even more confident in that pick, it would be a rare pick in my pool anyways.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - justinslot - 03-13-2012 01:57 PM

DISASTER. And yes, the timing is, ummm, questionable. I assume they're doing it now to avoid being in UConn's position in the future--banned from a future tournament--but why it took so long is the question. Perhaps there was an internal debate and whoever was running the numbers won out in a long, protracted tussle with the coaching staff.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - ollin - 03-13-2012 02:09 PM

(03-13-2012 01:57 PM)justinslot Wrote:  DISASTER. And yes, the timing is, ummm, questionable. I assume they're doing it now to avoid being in UConn's position in the future--banned from a future tournament--but why it took so long is the question. Perhaps there was an internal debate and whoever was running the numbers won out in a long, protracted tussle with the coaching staff.

UConn case is entirely different. NCAA changed a ruling on teams had to have a required APR/grading score after the year was complete to be eligible for NCAA tournament. Every school now knows to pad their roster with high GPA players who won't see any action.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - SF Husky - 03-13-2012 02:14 PM

I have SU out before the elite 8 with Melo. Since 1996, SU been past sweet 16 exactly twice. That's in the last 16 years. UCONN went to elite 8 or further 7 times since that same period. Melo is great for D. With him out, it could be a problem for SU facing guards that can penetrate the zone.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - SF Husky - 03-13-2012 02:17 PM

(03-13-2012 02:09 PM)ollin Wrote:  
(03-13-2012 01:57 PM)justinslot Wrote:  DISASTER. And yes, the timing is, ummm, questionable. I assume they're doing it now to avoid being in UConn's position in the future--banned from a future tournament--but why it took so long is the question. Perhaps there was an internal debate and whoever was running the numbers won out in a long, protracted tussle with the coaching staff.

UConn case is entirely different. NCAA changed a ruling on teams had to have a required APR/grading score after the year was complete to be eligible for NCAA tournament. Every school now knows to pad their roster with high GPA players who won't see any action.

Yep. Had the APR rule been implemented one year earlier, SU would not be eligible for the NCAA this year along with 13 other teams currently in the NCAA tournament today. SU had the same APR issue just one year earlier.

Just to repeat, 13 teams would not have been eligible in today's NCAA tournament had the rule been implemented one year earlier.

Meanwhile, I don't know how Kentucky avoid the APR issue with all the one and dones. They must got a lot of special classes over there to get those guys the grades to qualify.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-apr-0313-20120312,0,2902970.story

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - TexanMark - 03-13-2012 02:20 PM

Who said it was academics...it could be agents, drugs, etc...

We are cursed

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - HtownOrange - 03-13-2012 02:24 PM

The private Syracuse board is lighting up with choice comments for Fab Melo. Whatever he did, he is fully responsible for his actions and the harm to the team.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - TampaKnight - 03-13-2012 02:25 PM

Had the Orange winning all my brackets. Changing that now.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - TexanMark - 03-13-2012 03:00 PM

(03-13-2012 02:25 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Had the Orange winning all my brackets. Changing that now.

Anything past Thursday is gravy...he means that much to the defensive side of the team.

RE: Fab Melo not eligible for NCAA tournament - SF Husky - 03-13-2012 03:11 PM

(03-13-2012 03:00 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(03-13-2012 02:25 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Had the Orange winning all my brackets. Changing that now.

Anything past Thursday is gravy...he means that much to the defensive side of the team.

There is a huge drop off from Melo to Keita/Christmas. This must be the ACC curse.