CSNbbs
Here come the Big East expansion rumors - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+----- Thread: Here come the Big East expansion rumors (/thread-55989.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Cat's_Claw - 11-19-2004 07:14 PM

As a Cincinnati fan I have to say, it actually feels good being in a conference where there are teams trying to get into it and your program has a say in it. It's MUCH better then trying to get into a conference like the Big East and having to stress about it everyday for several months like the UC and South Florida fans had to do, and Louisville, Marquette and Depaul to a lesser extent. Anyway, another rumor popped up, read it on the C-USA board, someone linked the NationalChamps.net board. It's always interested reading some of these conference expansion rumors, particularly where the Big East is involved. A lot of banter on that board. Here's the link:

<a href='http://www.inside99.net/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl?read=104524' target='_blank'>Major Breaking News, Big East style</a>

Here's what the first post said:

The Big East will invite East Carolina and a program to be named as football members only and the move could come as early as 2006. http://www.sportstalk1260.com, click on live listen. They are discussing the BCS and Big East bid right now, and they are saying that it is a done deal and both new schools will have the opportunity to join the Big East a full members later. Also, they are discussing something about Notre Dame being in the mix to help the Big East keep its bid while allowing ND to keep its TV contract and its independence while still having to play at least 4 or 5 other Big East teams a year....

It's being talked about on the <a href='http://www.boneyardbanter.com/bbs/bin/35019.html' target='_blank'>Boneyard Banter</a> message board as well.

- wvucrazed - 11-19-2004 07:23 PM

i hope it is not true. We don't need ECU as a football-only member. I agree that we need a 9th team, but if it's going to be football-only, why not keep Temple? They bring as much value as ECU, maybe more. Or, Army and/or Navy?

What really bothers me is on the one hand, people spew so much hatred toward the BE, but on the other hand they would do anything in their power to become a member of the very league they bash constantly. I don't understand it.

- Cat's_Claw - 11-19-2004 07:35 PM

I know. It gets ridiculous. You trash the league, yet you want to be in the league, or you want your league to be in the same position the Big East is in. Either way, it's fun being on the other end of the spectrum, actually having teams knock down the door and try to sweet talk your administration to get into a high-profile conference. I thought I saw somewhere that a Memphis fan said that their AD was talking to UC's AD a week or so ago. I don't know whether to believe any of this or not, just thought it was interesting that the post said that it was actually on a radio station that gave details about the rumor somewhat, and they actually gave a link to the radio station.

By the way, another ECU message board is talking about this:

<a href='http://www.piratefans.net/board/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6379' target='_blank'>PirateFans</a>

Does anybody have any ingo on this at all? Is there any truth to this? I know during expansion, after UC and Louisville were chosen that a rumored popped up that the Big East was pursuing or offering South Florida and ECU football-only invitations. The Big East may be sweetening the pot now that they're co-sponsoring the 12 game mandate with the Big 12. With a 9th team it adds one more conference game for the Big East, negating the need to dig up more teams for a 12 game schedule. It seems like the Big 12 is helping the Big East out a whole lot, including allowing Louisville's BCS ranking to count towards the Big East, so the 12 game mandate must be picking up steam. Thus the need for a 9th or 10th Big East member.

- wvucrazed - 11-19-2004 07:47 PM

what i'm getting from the WV inside folks is that it could happen, but that the 9th spot is basically Navy's to either accept or refuse. And apparently nobody else has enough support (i.e. votes) to get the bid as the 9th. So who knows.

- Cat's_Claw - 11-19-2004 07:52 PM

wvucrazed Wrote:what i'm getting from the WV inside folks is that it could happen, but that the 9th spot is basically Navy's to either accept or refuse. &nbsp; And apparently nobody else has enough support (i.e. votes) to get the bid as the 9th. &nbsp; So who knows.

It makes sense, Navy was rumored to be the team that would get the invitation for next year if they accepted it. Central Florida was turned down last year. I would think that ECU would get the support to get a football-only invitation, but I could be wrong. They're geographically friendly for the Big East, have some built-in rivalries, and the b-ball schools wouldn't have to worry about basketball. The <a href='http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=33&mid=43143707&sid=&tid=43143707&style=1' target='_blank'>West Virginia</a> rivals message board is discussing it. You would know more then me though. Pretty interesting stuff!

Interesting post from a West Virginia fan on the rivals board:

...if they play at least 5, they would be eligible for the Big East Championship, and our BCS tie in. This option has always been on the table. Of course they would have to be members of the Big East FB conference, but I think ND fans could handle part time..for now. Eventually it would be full time.

Last fall it almost happened but the ND BOT faught against it. Now they are for it. As you may know or not know, the BOT approved ND clearing off their schedule after 08, canceling long established rivalries with Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, and Boston College, in favor of scheduling Big East teams. Pitt was announced last week. MT announced Soon ND will schedule more Big East teams.

Notre Dame needs Navy in the Big East and then they would only have to add 4 more BE schools. Pitt is already on. SU will be continued. 2 more will probably be rotated. WVU, UConn, Louisville, etc.

Notre Dame, at minimum, would have to play 5 Big East schoosl to be considered a member of the conference in some way, shape or form.

- Jackson1011 - 11-19-2004 08:18 PM

Quote:what i'm getting from the WV inside folks is that it could happen, but that the 9th spot is basically Navy's to either accept or refuse. And apparently nobody else has enough support (i.e. votes) to get the bid as the 9th. So who knows.

-- Completely agree with this....although rumor has it the Naval Academy turned down the bid last yr as well....they will be first simply because of the relationship with ND

-- I have always thought that ECU football only membership really made sense...and yes the bring more to the table in then Temple football....ECU actaully has fans....very loyal fans that travel well.....they very much remind me of WVU in that regard...maybe that is part of the reason WVU and ECU are so close

-- One thing the ECU message boarders are wrong about is if they leave CUSA for football....they will not stay for other sports...and as I have said before....the BE will work something out with the A10 as it did for Virginia Tech before....that would also give ECU some regional rivals for its other sports in UNCC and Richmond

-- If ECU gets invited....Terry Holland and company need to send a huge bottle of champaign and a thank you note to WVU AD Ed Pastilong....because WVU has been behind ECU to get into the BE for years

* One thing I think we can all agree on is that we need a 9th football member soon....we cannot wait till the end of the decade now because of the 12 game season

Jackson

- Jackson1011 - 11-19-2004 08:40 PM

If this rumor is true....and I'm not convinced yet that it is.....do we agree that Memphis is more then likely the "other team" that the report referred to

Jackson

- wvucrazed - 11-19-2004 09:35 PM

Jackson1011 Wrote:If this rumor is true....and I'm not convinced yet that it is.....do we agree that Memphis is more then likely the "other team" that the report referred to

Jackson
not at all. i doubt Memphis would go for a football-only invite. More likely, it's Army or UCF

- wvucrazed - 11-19-2004 09:37 PM

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
wvucrazed Wrote:what i'm getting from the WV inside folks is that it could happen, but that the 9th spot is basically Navy's to either accept or refuse.   And apparently nobody else has enough support (i.e. votes) to get the bid as the 9th.   So who knows.

It makes sense, Navy was rumored to be the team that would get the invitation for next year if they accepted it. Central Florida was turned down last year. I would think that ECU would get the support to get a football-only invitation, but I could be wrong. They're geographically friendly for the Big East, have some built-in rivalries, and the b-ball schools wouldn't have to worry about basketball. The <a href='http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=33&mid=43143707&sid=&tid=43143707&style=1' target='_blank'>West Virginia</a> rivals message board is discussing it. You would know more then me though. Pretty interesting stuff!

Interesting post from a West Virginia fan on the rivals board:

...if they play at least 5, they would be eligible for the Big East Championship, and our BCS tie in. This option has always been on the table. Of course they would have to be members of the Big East FB conference, but I think ND fans could handle part time..for now. Eventually it would be full time.

Last fall it almost happened but the ND BOT faught against it. Now they are for it. As you may know or not know, the BOT approved ND clearing off their schedule after 08, canceling long established rivalries with Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, and Boston College, in favor of scheduling Big East teams. Pitt was announced last week. MT announced Soon ND will schedule more Big East teams.

Notre Dame needs Navy in the Big East and then they would only have to add 4 more BE schools. Pitt is already on. SU will be continued. 2 more will probably be rotated. WVU, UConn, Louisville, etc.

Notre Dame, at minimum, would have to play 5 Big East schoosl to be considered a member of the conference in some way, shape or form.
yeah, that is what i've been hearing, but who knows. ND just announced w/ Pitt, and long term deals w/ WVU and Syracuse are reportedly in the works.

Navy + 4 BE games a year, with Pitt, WVU and Syracuse being most prominent, the others rotating.

ND would be eligible for the BE's BCS spot w/ certain criteria met - most likely they simply will need to be higher ranked in the BCS than any BE school.

We shall see....

- Jackson1011 - 11-19-2004 09:55 PM

Quote:not at all. i doubt Memphis would go for a football-only invite. More likely, it's Army or UCF

-- Ok...I'm confused..... the rumor states that two teams are going to be joining for football only membership (one being ECU).....is the Naval Academy included in as one of the two?? Or is it just assumed that they are going to be in anyway?

-- If the goal is to get to 12 out of all this (the current 8, ECU, Navy, mystery school and partially ND)...I guess Army would be the natural choice for # 12

Jackson

- wvucrazed - 11-19-2004 10:04 PM

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:not at all. i doubt Memphis would go for a football-only invite. More likely, it's Army or UCF

-- Ok...I'm confused..... the rumor states that two teams are going to be joining for football only membership (one being ECU).....is the Naval Academy included in as one of the two?? Or is it just assumed that they are going to be in anyway?

-- If the goal is to get to 12 out of all this (the current 8, ECU, Navy, mystery school and partially ND)...I guess Army would be the natural choice for # 12

Jackson
the ECU rumour is 2 football-only schools, total to 10. who knows if its true.

All of this ECU talk could, i suppose, mean that Navy has again said NO THANKS and that entire situation has fallen through. The BE obviously needs 9, so ECU might be next on the list.

But really, it's hard to say. Why the BE would be making this move now before the 12 game schedule is even a sure thing, i have no clue. But maybe they are certain the 12 game schedule will pass. It seems to be a foregone conclusion.

The timing seems odd. Could all just be internet rumours.

But people who are usually in the know have said that Navy has the invite for #9 and it's up to them, and that a partial schedule deal w/ ND is in the works.

i guess we shall see how it all plays out.

- Cat's_Claw - 11-19-2004 11:15 PM

I don't know if the Big East is trying to get to 12 or not. Remember, 11 has worked fine for the Big Ten. I'm guessing they'll try to get to 10, if rumors are true, with Notre Dame being the unofficial/official 11th squad. So the Big East would have 10 teams, and Notre Dame being the phantom 11th. As for why they are doing it, I bet that they probably have strong evidence this will pass. And even if it doesn't they add beef to the conference as far as numbers. It's easy to harp on the Big East for having 8 football teams, but 10 football teams? And Notre Dame having some form of affiliation with the football side? Now you're talking about a more beefy conference.

- L-yes - 11-20-2004 04:05 AM

10 make no sense and the Big Televen operates at that # simply biding their time.

- Cat's_Claw - 11-20-2004 08:03 AM

I don't know if you can say the Big Ten is biding its time. It could have stopped at about 10 teams. The thing is, the coaches and presidents argued over adding a 12th team late last year and eventually decided not to. The Big Ten has no interest in expanding to 12 unless it's Notre Dame. I don't think the Big East will expand to 10 or more teams unless it has pressure to "beef up", which I don't see. The Big East, Big Ten and Pac-10 are happy at their current numbes, though I see the Big East expanding to 9.

- Jackson1011 - 11-20-2004 09:20 AM

Quote:the ECU rumour is 2 football-only schools, total to 10. who knows if its true.

All of this ECU talk could, i suppose, mean that Navy has again said NO THANKS and that entire situation has fallen through. The BE obviously needs 9, so ECU might be next on the list.

But really, it's hard to say. Why the BE would be making this move now before the 12 game schedule is even a sure thing, i have no clue. But maybe they are certain the 12 game schedule will pass. It seems to be a foregone conclusion.

The timing seems odd. Could all just be internet rumours.

But people who are usually in the know have said that Navy has the invite for #9 and it's up to them, and that a partial schedule deal w/ ND is in the works.

-- Upon further review....its seems to me that these are two seperate rumors being offered as one.....the Navy for football only and ND as a partial football member have been flooting around since last summer...but from what I heard ND lost a lot of interest in that when BC went to the ACC and was replaced by USF

-- Aside from Navy....we have been talking about a 9th footbal only member for a while...but usually the focuse has centered on UCF...not East Carolina

-- From where I'm sitting this morning both parts of this rumor cannot be true....if ECU is being added then that tells me that Navy has said no and the ND thing is not happening....If Navy and ND are going to come in partially I don't see a need for East Carolina...it has to be one or the other

-- Again...the bottom line seems to be that someone has to be added soon

Jackson

- Cat's_Claw - 11-20-2004 09:53 AM

Didn't the rumor say that it could be ECU and a team to be named later? Maybe they're still in negotiations with Navy to be that team to be named later. Assuming there is any truth to it. There is more talk about in a <a href='http://www.boneyardbanter.com/bbs/bin/35443.html' target='_blank'>Boneyard Banter thread</a> basically saying that they're new AD has pretty much stated they're looking at a football-only membership for the Big East with an All-Sports invitation down the road and that he's not keeping it a secret that something is going on.

- Jackson1011 - 11-20-2004 10:08 AM

Quote:Didn't the rumor say that it could be ECU and a team to be named later? Maybe they're still in negotiations with Navy to be that team to be named later. Assuming there is any truth to it. There is more talk about in a Boneyard Banter thread basically saying that they're new AD has pretty much stated they're looking at a football-only membership for the Big East with an All-Sports invitation down the road and that he's not keeping it a secret that something is going on

-- The orginal post from national chamions.net said that both ECU and the "mystery school" would have the opportunity to join the league in all sports at a latter date.....the football schools love Navy...but they won't let Navy in for bball etc.....again it seems to me that if ECU is being added that the ND and Navy thing is dead in the water...my guess the mystery school is either Memphis or Central Flordia

-- Of course we are basing this on one radio station....so we'll have to see what happens

Jackson

- JMSTiger - 11-20-2004 11:58 AM

I think Memphis is very unlikely to be the other school. It would be ECU and UCF.

- Jackson1011 - 11-20-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:I think Memphis is very unlikely to be the other school. It would be ECU and UCF.

-- Why not Memphis??

Jackson

- Murph1 - 11-20-2004 12:58 PM

How about if the Big East adds Memphis and UCF, hence acquiring the Liberty Bowl and (possibly) Tangerine Bowl and calls it a day at 10 teams? I'm just throwing stuff out there.