CSNbbs
Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns (/thread-557284.html)

Pages: 1 2

Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - Bearhawkeye - 02-25-2012 04:52 PM

courtesy of Dan Hoard on bengals.com:

Quote:Coach Lewis had interesting things to say about a pair of former UC Bearcats.

Running back Isaiah Pead is generally projected to be picked late in the second round or early in the third round after being named MVP of the Senior Bowl.

“I think he’s a really good prospect,” said Lewis. “I have not watched much tape on him so it would only be TV scouting. I think he showed a different dimension with the punt returning that he did at the Senior Bowl and I think that’s going to do nothing but elevate his stock and his opportunity. I have not even met him and he’s not on our interview list here because we’ll be able to spend enough time with him back at home.”

Wide receiver Armon Binns went undrafted last year, but was signed to the Bengals practice squad on September 20th and will battle for playing time in training camp.

“I think Armon made great strides,” said Lewis. “Our offensive coaches at the end of the year wanted me to put him in the game. They wanted to not only dress him but, ‘Can we start him?’ There’s another player that we identified last year as a good prospect. We’re not afraid to play young players if the guy can do it.”

Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns

OT: As you'd expect, Marvin doesn't reveal much about the draft, but he seems to be implying the Bengals might favor a CB and a RB in R1 while downplaying the need for an OG. Unless that RB is Richardson, I'd much rather the Bengals get DeCastro, Glenn or probably even Konz.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - Bearhawkeye - 02-25-2012 04:57 PM

Also, Pead reportedly put on a few pounds for his official weight at the combine (which is regarded as a good sign):

Quote:Another standout of the Senior Bowl was Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead. He had a strong week of practice and helped his draft stock. Pead (5-9, 197 per the article, but 5-10 197 per the weigh-in page)) has added four pounds since then. That's a good sign for NFL teams, as running backs below 200 pounds can have durability issues in the NFL. If Pead could continue to add weight to approach 210, that could erase future injury concerns.

RBs @ Combine

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - George Kaplan - 02-25-2012 05:36 PM

(02-25-2012 04:57 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Also, Pead reportedly put on a few pounds for his official weight at the combine (which is regarded as a good sign):

Quote:Another standout of the Senior Bowl was Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead. He had a strong week of practice and helped his draft stock. Pead (5-9, 197 per the article, but 5-10 197 per the weigh-in page)) has added four pounds since then. That's a good sign for NFL teams, as running backs below 200 pounds can have durability issues in the NFL. If Pead could continue to add weight to approach 210, that could erase future injury concerns.

RBs @ Combine

It would be shortsighted to rely on the 200 lb threshold (which is arbitrary anyway) for a guy coming out of college who didn't even redshirt. As they mature in the pros, players like Pead usually add a bit of good weight without losing their speed.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - bearcat54 - 02-25-2012 07:28 PM

I think it's an example of Bengals not studying a lot of prospects, especially in their own back yard. The bengals always amaze me at how inept they can be in scouting.
When they get a good one, I think it's just by luck.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - cinbinsportsfan - 02-25-2012 07:33 PM

I weep for every former Bearcat who winds up on Mike Brown's payroll.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - BeerCat - 02-25-2012 08:51 PM

(02-25-2012 07:28 PM)bearcat54 Wrote:  I think it's an example of Bengals not studying a lot of prospects, especially in their own back yard. The bengals always amaze me at how inept they can be in scouting.
When they get a good one, I think it's just by luck.

Maybe you haven't paid any attention to Marvin Lewis during his time here. He straight up hates the media and offers no information ever about anything. One of the reasons MB has a boner for him. If the Bengals were very interested in Pead I would expect his comments to look something like..."I think he’s a really good prospect,” said Lewis. “I have not watched much tape on him so it would only be TV scouting."

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - DelhiBearcat - 02-25-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:“I think Armon made great strides,” said Lewis. “Our offensive coaches at the end of the year wanted me to put him in the game. They wanted to not only dress him but, ‘Can we start him?

So if his offensive coaches wanted him to play him, why didn't he?

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - icehole3 - 02-26-2012 05:47 AM

(02-25-2012 11:30 PM)DelhiBearcat Wrote:  
Quote:“I think Armon made great strides,” said Lewis. “Our offensive coaches at the end of the year wanted me to put him in the game. They wanted to not only dress him but, ‘Can we start him?

Marvin thinks highly of himself

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - SuperFlyBCat - 02-26-2012 08:04 AM

(02-25-2012 11:30 PM)DelhiBearcat Wrote:  

He was busy soliciting donations for the Jerome Simpson run the wrong route defense fund.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - beck - 02-26-2012 08:13 AM

The piss and moan club is in session.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - Bearcatbdub - 02-26-2012 08:45 AM

I think Armon would make an awesome pro, just give him a shot. He made huge strides during his time at UC.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - Bearhawkeye - 02-26-2012 10:23 AM

(02-26-2012 08:45 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I think Armon would make an awesome pro, just give him a shot. He made huge strides during his time at UC.

That and the input from Marvin that he has made further strides practicing with the Bengals is the real take-away from my original post. I had been thinking Binns was a longshot to make the team next year, but now I think he's got a real shot at it (at least the practice squad if he's eligible).

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - DelhiBearcat - 02-26-2012 11:15 AM

Let's hope so hawkeye. I think he should still be eligible for the practice squad, but I'd love to see Binns get a shot with the Bengals active roster. I just fear it maybe a little lip service on Marvin's part. Like I said before, why wouldn't he play him if they coaches wanted him to so badly? Kind of makes me think of Huggins and how whoever was redshirting was the best player in practice... ie: "John Jacobs has been the best player in practice all season", etc.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - SeniorBearcat - 02-26-2012 02:07 PM

Just watched Pead run a 4.41 40

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - Skilly McRailnob - 02-27-2012 07:03 AM

Cincinnati RB Isaiah Pead clocked an official forty time of 4.47 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

His two "unofficial" times were 4.41 and 4.41, but the "official" time is measured electronically as opposed to on an individual's stopwatch. The Senior Bowl MVP, Pead also had one of the faster ten-yard splits in Indianapolis at 1.50 seconds. He measured in at 5-foot-10 1/8, 197 earlier in the week.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - 50Cent - 02-27-2012 07:52 AM

I wouldn't mind if bengals dropped down with one of those picks and grabbed Pead maybe early 2nd. He has done nothing but improve his stock. He would be a good fit here.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - cinbinsportsfan - 02-27-2012 09:24 AM

(02-27-2012 07:52 AM)50Cent Wrote:  I wouldn't mind if bengals dropped down with one of those picks and grabbed Pead maybe early 2nd. He has done nothing but improve his stock. He would be a good fit here.

To watch him ride the bench when they resign Benson? No thanks.

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - Bearcats#1 - 02-27-2012 09:11 PM

1. Marvin Lewis is clueless

and

2. Marvin Lewis is clueless

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - Bearhawkeye - 03-06-2012 12:09 AM

More on the Bengals' looking forward to seeing what Binns can do:

Quote:From understudy to under discussion
By GEOFF HOBSON

Of all the receivers Armon Binns enjoyed simulating last season on the Bengals scout team, perennial Pro Bowler Larry Fitzgerald gave him the biggest blast during the week the Bengals prepared for the Cardinals.

"He was my favorite receiver when I was in college and it was great running the same routes he does," Binns recalled Monday. "Posts. Verticals. Double moves. Going outside and inside. That was a lot of fun."

The Bengals got such a kick out of watching Binns play Fitzgerald (not to mention Pittsburgh's Mike Wallace, Baltimore's Torrey Smith, Houston's Andre Johnson and the rest of the opponents No. 1 receivers) that the Bengals think if he shows up this spring just being himself that he'll be a factor in the wide receiver picture that needs a No. 2 to fill out.

"I think he can do a lot more than maybe people anticipated him doing," says Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden. "If he shows up in shape and in the right frame of mind, I foresee him making a major impact with our offense next year."

Gruden would have been pleased if he'd been at the University of Cincinnati Pro Day last Friday and saw Binns running routes for Bearcats quarterback Zach Collaros. Binns was not only in shape and into it, he flashed the things NFL receivers need to be No. 2s.

Hands. Body control. Quickness.

With the Bengals sitting pretty in a draft fraught with No. 2 receivers, they may already have one that was undrafted last year. When Binns describes how his game is similar to that of No. 1 receiver A.J. Green, they sound like they could be nice playbook-ends.

"I think we both like to go up and attack the ball at the top of the route," Binns says. "We like to go get it and we're not afraid to come back for it."

After not seeing much time in Jacksonville's camp, Binns surfaced on the Bengals practice squad two weeks after the Jags cut him on the eve of the season.

"I think he's got a great feel on how to get open," Gruden says. "He's a big guy and a great target and the quarterbacks like him because he's such a good target and he's proved he can run inside and outside routes."

The opportunity to be Green's running mate is as open as the chance to be Obama's is closed. With Jerome Simpson pleading guilty to a drug charge that could bring at least a four-game suspension, there is a vacancy that could be filled from within by Binns or Brandon Tate, or from without by a third-round pick or better.

Remember when the Bengals chased Antonio Bryant and Terrell Owens in 2010 free agency? One was injured and the other played out and they ended up shelving youth in the form of icing Simpson and cutting rookie Dez Briscoe. The Bengals don't look ready to go that way again with young talent like Binns waiting to show he can run more than Steelers routes.

"Now we just have to see if he can run our stuff," Gruden says with a laugh. "During the season you don't get a great chance to look at the young guys with your own terminology and plays. They have to emerge and make plays on the scout team. And he did that. He really came on. He got into great shape and made a ton of plays. Then we got him some reps in our offense and he's really been a great surprise for us. We're hoping the momentum carries into this season."

While Binns opened eyes Keeping up with The Johnsons, his most impressive acting job may have been when the Bengals prepared for the Texans the first time during the regular season and he took on the role of Pro Bowl tight end Owen Daniels.

"The defensive coaches were trying to get me to play different guys and that gave me confidence because that meant they liked the look I was giving them," Binns says. "I feel as comfortable inside as I do outside and I think they showed that confidence in me being able to do both when they lined me up at tight end for the defense to go against."

Binns did his damage reading off cards in practice before each snap and Gruden knows it's a different deal when a receiver has to do it on his own. But he also knows Binns was a huge playmaker for the Bearcats.

"For me, it's all the same; it's running routes," Binns says. "Whether I'm seeing it and or hearing it in the huddle. It's the same thing. You have to get open."

Since Binns spent all but the last two games on the practice squad (when he was on the roster but inactive), he barely took any time off after the Jan. 7 Wild Card loss to the Texans. After about a week, he headed back up to Clifton, along with fellow Bengals and former Bearcats wideout Vidal Hazleton, to help Collaros get ready for the pros. It was that same willingness to put in time Binns showed during the season when he and practice squad quarterback Zac Robinson would straggle off the practice field last with quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese and receivers coach James Urban.

"I'm just trying to hone some of the basics," Binns says. "I'm really working on my feet and trying to get them quicker. Trying to get in and out of my breaks quicker."

After Friday's workout Binns headed home to Pasadena, Calif., to get some R&R. But it turns out he and Robinson may just keep on throwing. Binns just got a text from him saying he was in California, too, and why don't they find each other and wing it?

"That's fine by me," Binns says.

The Bengals may not have a timeline, but Gruden says Binns is in line.

"I think he'll be in the mix next year," Gruden says. "No doubt."

From understudy to under discussion

RE: Marvin Lewis on Pead and Binns - ctipton - 03-06-2012 12:15 AM

(03-06-2012 12:09 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  More on the Bengals' looking forward to seeing what Binns can do:

Quote:From understudy to under discussion
By GEOFF HOBSON

Of all the receivers Armon Binns enjoyed simulating last season on the Bengals scout team, perennial Pro Bowler Larry Fitzgerald gave him the biggest blast during the week the Bengals prepared for the Cardinals.

"He was my favorite receiver when I was in college and it was great running the same routes he does," Binns recalled Monday. "Posts. Verticals. Double moves. Going outside and inside. That was a lot of fun."

The Bengals got such a kick out of watching Binns play Fitzgerald (not to mention Pittsburgh's Mike Wallace, Baltimore's Torrey Smith, Houston's Andre Johnson and the rest of the opponents No. 1 receivers) that the Bengals think if he shows up this spring just being himself that he'll be a factor in the wide receiver picture that needs a No. 2 to fill out.

"I think he can do a lot more than maybe people anticipated him doing," says Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden. "If he shows up in shape and in the right frame of mind, I foresee him making a major impact with our offense next year."

Gruden would have been pleased if he'd been at the University of Cincinnati Pro Day last Friday and saw Binns running routes for Bearcats quarterback Zach Collaros. Binns was not only in shape and into it, he flashed the things NFL receivers need to be No. 2s.

Hands. Body control. Quickness.

With the Bengals sitting pretty in a draft fraught with No. 2 receivers, they may already have one that was undrafted last year. When Binns describes how his game is similar to that of No. 1 receiver A.J. Green, they sound like they could be nice playbook-ends.

"I think we both like to go up and attack the ball at the top of the route," Binns says. "We like to go get it and we're not afraid to come back for it."

After not seeing much time in Jacksonville's camp, Binns surfaced on the Bengals practice squad two weeks after the Jags cut him on the eve of the season.

"I think he's got a great feel on how to get open," Gruden says. "He's a big guy and a great target and the quarterbacks like him because he's such a good target and he's proved he can run inside and outside routes."

The opportunity to be Green's running mate is as open as the chance to be Obama's is closed. With Jerome Simpson pleading guilty to a drug charge that could bring at least a four-game suspension, there is a vacancy that could be filled from within by Binns or Brandon Tate, or from without by a third-round pick or better.

Remember when the Bengals chased Antonio Bryant and Terrell Owens in 2010 free agency? One was injured and the other played out and they ended up shelving youth in the form of icing Simpson and cutting rookie Dez Briscoe. The Bengals don't look ready to go that way again with young talent like Binns waiting to show he can run more than Steelers routes.

"Now we just have to see if he can run our stuff," Gruden says with a laugh. "During the season you don't get a great chance to look at the young guys with your own terminology and plays. They have to emerge and make plays on the scout team. And he did that. He really came on. He got into great shape and made a ton of plays. Then we got him some reps in our offense and he's really been a great surprise for us. We're hoping the momentum carries into this season."

While Binns opened eyes Keeping up with The Johnsons, his most impressive acting job may have been when the Bengals prepared for the Texans the first time during the regular season and he took on the role of Pro Bowl tight end Owen Daniels.

"The defensive coaches were trying to get me to play different guys and that gave me confidence because that meant they liked the look I was giving them," Binns says. "I feel as comfortable inside as I do outside and I think they showed that confidence in me being able to do both when they lined me up at tight end for the defense to go against."

Binns did his damage reading off cards in practice before each snap and Gruden knows it's a different deal when a receiver has to do it on his own. But he also knows Binns was a huge playmaker for the Bearcats.

"For me, it's all the same; it's running routes," Binns says. "Whether I'm seeing it and or hearing it in the huddle. It's the same thing. You have to get open."

Since Binns spent all but the last two games on the practice squad (when he was on the roster but inactive), he barely took any time off after the Jan. 7 Wild Card loss to the Texans. After about a week, he headed back up to Clifton, along with fellow Bengals and former Bearcats wideout Vidal Hazleton, to help Collaros get ready for the pros. It was that same willingness to put in time Binns showed during the season when he and practice squad quarterback Zac Robinson would straggle off the practice field last with quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese and receivers coach James Urban.

"I'm just trying to hone some of the basics," Binns says. "I'm really working on my feet and trying to get them quicker. Trying to get in and out of my breaks quicker."

After Friday's workout Binns headed home to Pasadena, Calif., to get some R&R. But it turns out he and Robinson may just keep on throwing. Binns just got a text from him saying he was in California, too, and why don't they find each other and wing it?

"That's fine by me," Binns says.

The Bengals may not have a timeline, but Gruden says Binns is in line.

"I think he'll be in the mix next year," Gruden says. "No doubt."

From understudy to under discussion

Thanks for posting that Hawk, that is really good to hear about Binns.