CSNbbs
Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? (/thread-556990.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - monty - 02-23-2012 09:15 PM

(02-23-2012 08:57 PM)SDSU-Alum2003 Wrote:  Interesting perspective from HawaiiMongoose on the MWC Board...

"I think any speculation about BSU and SDSU having second thoughts is just that, speculation.

Having said that, keep in mind that there's as much or more basketball value in the Big East TV contract as there is football value. Houston, SMU, Memphis and UCF which are joining as full members will reap that full combined basketball and football value, so I think it's highly unlikely that any of them will reconsider their decision. However BSU and SDSU as football-only members of the Big East will receive only partial shares of TV money based on the Big East's football value. And they will earn essentially nothing from having basketball in the WAC and Big West respectively.

So the question for BSU and SDSU is not whether the Big East can get a better TV deal than the Alliance. The question is whether the Big East can get a better TV deal for football only members than the Alliance can get for all sports members. "

Boise and SDSU's contracts state that if the split isn't at least 70percent football/30 percent other sports, they have an out. The split is going to be 70/30 ---- Money is not the issue here, the big east will make more money by a big factor.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - justinslot - 02-23-2012 09:20 PM

(02-23-2012 09:11 PM)monty Wrote:  It all pivots on whether Boise has a place to put their other sports.

I think it is pretty much a mechanical if, then.

If the Alliance (or the old Wac Commish Hot Karl Benson soon to be Sun Belt commish) kills the WAC, then Boise has nowhere really to go, and the far east and front range are excluded and a new conference starts of boise, sdsu and pals. And it has nothing to do with money or cold feet but rather the simple fact that Boise would have nothing else to do.

Could they follow you guys to the Big West, you think?

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - Boise fan - 02-23-2012 09:22 PM

The situation is fluid. But by the same token, BSU & SDSU have made their choice. The main way that changes now is when the BE TV contract is renegotiated.

BSU has its out. But they won't need to take it. The BE should get a much better contract than the MW/C-USA hybrid.

That said, if the BE makes BB motivated choices anymore, like inviting NM or UNLV, then all bets are off. Each school added with crappy football weakens our potential contract, and the FB contract is everything to SDSU & BSU. The eastern schools need to take this to heart.

Hopefully Pitino shuts his mouth now, so that the focus can be on creating a true western FOOTBALL conference. 'Cause that turd seems to have carried weight - not that his team is dedicated to sticking around or anything...

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - Kronke - 02-23-2012 09:32 PM

Boise went a pre-bowl 11-1 this year, and their reward for being in the MWC was a garbage 6-6 Arizona State team in the MAACO Las Vegas Bowl. They're only going back if they never want to be taken seriously again.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - SteveAztec - 02-23-2012 09:40 PM

I don't see anyway this happens.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - monty - 02-23-2012 09:48 PM

(02-23-2012 09:20 PM)justinslot Wrote:  
(02-23-2012 09:11 PM)monty Wrote:  It all pivots on whether Boise has a place to put their other sports.

I think it is pretty much a mechanical if, then.

If the Alliance (or the old Wac Commish Hot Karl Benson soon to be Sun Belt commish) kills the WAC, then Boise has nowhere really to go, and the far east and front range are excluded and a new conference starts of boise, sdsu and pals. And it has nothing to do with money or cold feet but rather the simple fact that Boise would have nothing else to do.

Could they follow you guys to the Big West, you think?

Big West didn't want them because of travel (it's basically a busing league, Hawaii is paying travel costs) - I think they are also skiddish of how far flung the league was at one point (I know Utah State was in there but I also think one or both of the Louisianas and others)
If they paid a travel stipend, sure, likely - but I don't think they want to deal with that. The big west is a nice sojourn for SDSU because of being in a conf. with Cal States and UCs and will allow us to save money on title ix sports - but it's a killer for basketball and we at least have the luxury of having built a pretty good program and are starting to bring in monster recruits - Boise is building, they need a real conference and real arenas and would be paying money to travel (and likely to bring teams in) so that takes away the bonus for SDSU (plus it's going to be good for our alums up and down the state)

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - snowycuse - 02-23-2012 09:55 PM

Big East has completely butchered this expansion.

I would have never added Boise State to begin with but the conference has moved to fix the mistake of overlooking Memphis because of AQ and seems on the verge of finally bringing in Temple. The problem is the conference still needs a western division for all-sports or they might as well just let Boise State and San Diego State go.

As I said from the start it does not have to be football only out west. Bring in Gonzaga, maybe St. Louis, UNLV, Fresno State.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - NJRedMan - 02-23-2012 10:06 PM

(02-23-2012 09:55 PM)snowycuse Wrote:  Big East has completely butchered this expansion.

I would have never added Boise State to begin with but the conference has moved to fix the mistake of overlooking Memphis because of AQ and seems on the verge of finally bringing in Temple. The problem is the conference still needs a western division for all-sports or they might as well just let Boise State and San Diego State go.

As I said from the start it does not have to be football only out west. Bring in Gonzaga, maybe St. Louis, UNLV, Fresno State.

Oh thank god we have a Cuse fan to tell us how we should run our league! Because we ALL know they have our best interests in mind. 01-wingedeagle

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - Kronke - 02-23-2012 10:07 PM

(02-23-2012 09:55 PM)snowycuse Wrote:  Big East has completely butchered this expansion.

lol wut

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - quo vadis - 02-23-2012 10:09 PM

(02-23-2012 10:06 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Oh thank god we have a Cuse fan to tell us how we should run our league! Because we ALL know they have our best interests in mind. 01-wingedeagle

You should critique the message, if you can, not the messenger.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - justinslot - 02-23-2012 10:18 PM

Boise they had to add, they're the last program of their type outside the bubble. But I agree with the rest.....I'm just not sure the BE has it in them to do something that interesting. Or if the money would be there to justify taking in UNLV and UNM and Fresno and some set of basketball schools (which would not include the Zags or the Gaels, the WCC is really tight-knit except for BYU obviously.)

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - NJRedMan - 02-23-2012 10:29 PM

(02-23-2012 10:09 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-23-2012 10:06 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

You should critique the message, if you can, not the messenger.

Im pretty sure i did. Not add boise=bad idea.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - RUfan03 - 02-23-2012 10:46 PM

(02-23-2012 07:06 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Just add East Carolina and Southern Miss and say bye. 05-stirthepot

If SDSU and Boise St decided to stay in the Mtn West/C-USA Alliance, then I agree with you. Football wise ECU & S. Miss would be the best two additions and would bring us back to the eastern part of the USA. SMU would then be our furthest western school.04-cheers

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - NJRedMan - 02-23-2012 10:53 PM

(02-23-2012 10:46 PM)RUfan03 Wrote:  
(02-23-2012 07:06 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Just add East Carolina and Southern Miss and say bye. 05-stirthepot

If SDSU and Boise St decided to stay in the Mtn West/C-USA Alliance, then I agree with you. Football wise ECU & S. Miss would be the best two additions and would bring us back to the eastern part of the USA. SMU would then be our furthest western school.04-cheers

Well in that case we can do a nice North/South split.

South:
UCF
USF
Houston
SMU
ECU
SMiss
Tulane

North:
Rutgers
UConn
Navy
Cincy
UofL
Temple
Memphis

Though I know this isnt going to happen.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - Kronke - 02-23-2012 11:17 PM

You're right, it isn't going to happen, but Tulane? It's a fine school, but their athletic program is in shambles. Memphis is currently bad at football, but they make up for it with elite basketball. Tulane is horrid at and draws flies for both, and it's been that way for a while.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - UConn-SMU - 02-23-2012 11:23 PM

EAST ***

UMass
UConn
Rutgers
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati
USF
UCF

WEST ***

Louisville
Memphis
SMU
Houston
Boise
SDSU
Air Force
UNLV

Markets: all of Massachusetts, all of Connecticut, NYC, all of New Jersey, Philly, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Tampa, Orlando, Louisville, Memphis, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Idaho, San Diego, Denver, Las Vegas. I know we don't "own" all of those markets, but that's a lot of TV sets. No other conference can come close to that list.

We need two more western schools for Boise & SDSU. That's not a "wish" .... it's a "must have".

UMass would be a good add if Army declines. UNLV would be a good add if they really are going to invest billions.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - CougarRed - 02-23-2012 11:44 PM

(02-23-2012 07:17 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  
(02-23-2012 07:06 PM)ollin Wrote:  
(02-23-2012 06:32 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  The TCU Exception has been modified. If they want out now, it's still $10 million.

That's only for current Big East members. SDSU and Boise State is still $5 million

Actually the buy out is only 1 million if the Big East loses AQ status.

This is incomplete and therefore incorrect.

For schools who have not joined, the buyout drops from $5M to $1M if the Big East loses AQ status before July 1 2013 EXCEPT if AQ status is eliminated entirely for all conferences.

In other words, the buyout drops only if the Big East is singled out. Otherwise, it's $5M. This is what Houston's contract with the Big East says. I assume it's the same for Boise and SDSU.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - broncodude - 02-24-2012 12:14 AM

(02-23-2012 06:32 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  The TCU Exception has been modified. If they want out now, it's still $10 million.

Nope, we have escape clauses built in 3 or 4 I think. BSU wants some west schools so we can form a western half of the BE, all you are adding is eastern schools, it isn't going over to well here in the west. Memphis isn't in the west guys, and Temple????? This is a football conf. for BSU and SDSU, please let us pick the next few schools.

GO BRONCOS

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - NJRedMan - 02-24-2012 12:37 AM

(02-23-2012 11:17 PM)Kronke Wrote:  You're right, it isn't going to happen, but Tulane? It's a fine school, but their athletic program is in shambles. Memphis is currently bad at football, but they make up for it with elite basketball. Tulane is horrid at and draws flies for both, and it's been that way for a while.

Well that was if SMU was the farthest west we went.

RE: Boise State & SDSU possibly staying in MWC/C-USA? - NJRedMan - 02-24-2012 12:39 AM

(02-24-2012 12:14 AM)broncodude Wrote:  

Nope, we have escape clauses built in 3 or 4 I think. BSU wants some west schools so we can form a western half of the BE, all you are adding is eastern schools, it isn't going over to well here in the west. Memphis isn't in the west guys, and Temple????? This is a football conf. for BSU and SDSU, please let us pick the next few schools.

GO BRONCOS

Uh no, you needed A SINGLE western travel partner. Not 3 or 4. Link or its BS.