CSNbbs
For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... (/thread-556471.html)

For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - UConn-SMU - 02-21-2012 12:44 AM

I just got back from a long weekend in San Antonio. The award for the most t-shirts, sweatshirts, and baseball caps seen on the tourists along the Riverwalk and at the Alamo? The U.S. Naval Academy ... beating out Bevo, who lives about 70 miles away.

This is obviously not a statistically valid study, but it is anecdotal evidence of Navy's national appeal. I doubt San Antonio is much different than St. Louis or Atlanta. Navy's support is probably consistent across the nation.

This can only be good news for the new Big East.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Attackcoog - 02-21-2012 01:02 AM

Kind of amazing. Its not like many ships dock in San Antonio.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Lord2FLI - 02-21-2012 01:12 AM

Interesting considering both Lackland AFB and Randolph AFB are located there (there's an Army base there also, if I'm not mistaken).

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - cardshouse - 02-21-2012 01:13 AM

I think you mean Old Navy....Thats what they all wear.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Maize - 02-21-2012 04:27 AM

(02-21-2012 01:12 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Interesting considering both Lackland AFB and Randolph AFB are located there (there's an Army base there also, if I'm not mistaken).

Fort Sam Houston is located in the San Antonio area.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - TripleA - 02-21-2012 08:11 AM

Hmm...last time I was at the Riverwalk in San Antonio, it was all Memphis and Kansas. 03-wink

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Gray Avenger - 02-21-2012 09:19 AM

I have always been a believer in the value of the service academies. They bring national name recognition (and following), class, tradition and academic excellence. If it makes enough financial sense (i.e., enough pie to go around), I am in favor of also adding Army and Air Force if possible.

By the way, the Navy Bureau of Personnel (which handles records, payroll, benefits, etc.) is located in Millington, TN on the outskirts of Memphis. Lots of officiers and non-coms stationed there who will attend when Navy plays here. I remember a night in 1981 watching Navy play Ohio State at the Liberty Bowl in a narrow loss. Valiant effort in one of the best games I ever saw. http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2009/08/flashback-ohio-state-vs-navy-1981.html

I am proud and excited for Memphis to be associated with the swabbies, goat and all.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - GO Coogs GO!!! - 02-21-2012 09:27 AM

(02-21-2012 04:27 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(02-21-2012 01:12 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Interesting considering both Lackland AFB and Randolph AFB are located there (there's an Army base there also, if I'm not mistaken).

And the Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - GeminiCoog - 02-21-2012 09:32 AM

(02-21-2012 09:27 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(02-21-2012 04:27 AM)Maize Wrote:  

And the Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi.

Don't forget about Fort Hood near Killeen.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Wilkie01 - 02-21-2012 11:00 AM

(02-21-2012 12:44 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I just got back from a long weekend in San Antonio. The award for the most t-shirts, sweatshirts, and baseball caps seen on the tourists along the Riverwalk and at the Alamo? The U.S. Naval Academy ... beating out Bevo, who lives about 70 miles away.

This is obviously not a statistically valid study, but it is anecdotal evidence of Navy's national appeal. I doubt San Antonio is much different than St. Louis or Atlanta. Navy's support is probably consistent across the nation.

This can only be good news for the new Big East.
03-melodramatic That is not a decision made by fact! 03-lmfao

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - SmallVoice - 02-21-2012 11:04 AM

I hope there's lots of work being done behind the scenes to convince the other 2 academies that the Big East is where all three need to be.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - ndlutz - 02-21-2012 11:08 AM

The academies have great support, particularly Navy. That's never been in question. Whether they are capable of competing in the Big East football league is what's in question and that won't be answered for quite some time. I think they can do it but we'll just have to see.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Lord2FLI - 02-21-2012 11:20 AM

(02-21-2012 11:04 AM)SmallVoice Wrote:  I hope there's lots of work being done behind the scenes to convince the other 2 academies that the Big East is where all three need to be.

I really doubt Army ever gets back on board, even if Navy and Air Force were in the league. The Golden Knights have been down this road before and were thoroughly embarrassed by the results, being a whipping boy isn't good for national perception and recruiting.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Wilkie01 - 02-21-2012 11:45 AM

The mission of the service academies is to produce military leaders not pro-players. So it hurts their ability to ever be a Top 10- sports program. The kids that play at BCS level schools are not about service to their country, honor, integrity, and education! Most of them just want to be drafted into the NFL, NBA and MLB. 07-coffee3

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - Lord2FLI - 02-21-2012 12:01 PM

(02-21-2012 11:45 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  The mission of the service academies is to produce military leaders not pro-players. So it hurts their ability to ever be a Top 10- sports program. The kids that play at BCS level schools are not about service to their country, honor, integrity, and education! Most of them just want to be drafted into the NFL, NBA and MLB. 07-coffee3

Also, just so there's no confusion, when I say recruiting for the academies, I'm not talking about athletes, I'm talking about officers.

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - uconnbaseball - 02-21-2012 02:24 PM

I like that Navy has a national following, and will give us eyeballs from areas where we normally would not get them (especially on the West Coast, where Navy has a strong presence).

RE: For anyone doubting Navy's value ... - brista21 - 02-21-2012 04:18 PM

Navy will be a good draw at UConn, Houston and SDSU. They're already a good draw at Rutgers and SMU given the existing rivalries at play there.