CSNbbs
NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: Archives (/forum-383.html)
+------- Forum: BlazerTalk Archives (/forum-791.html)
+------- Thread: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you (/thread-556190.html)

Pages: 1 2

NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - BlazerPhil - 02-18-2012 10:55 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/nc-state-legends-gugliotta-corchiani-ejected-saturday-game-214641450.html

It will just be a matter of time before Karl "Rabbit Ears" Hess is booted down the ladder to C-USA basketball.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Matrix - 02-19-2012 12:03 AM

I just pictured him in my mind throwing Smaug out of a game at Bartow Arena! This guy would be bad news for the creative hecklers of UAB. What a ****!!! I think I'd rather have Jim Burr!!!

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - BlazerPhil - 02-19-2012 12:08 AM

(02-19-2012 12:03 AM)Matrix Wrote:  I just pictured him in my mind throwing Smaug out of a game at Bartow Arena! This guy would be bad news for the creative hecklers of UAB. What a ****!!! I think I'd rather have Jim Burr!!!

The greenhouse, Frenchy, Attalla & Co. would be thrown out long before they got to the rest of us smartasses.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - USAFBlazerFan - 02-19-2012 12:10 AM

What did ol' Smauggy do, offer him his glasses or something? 05-stirthepot

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Smaug - 02-19-2012 12:12 AM

(02-19-2012 12:10 AM)USAFBlazerFan Wrote:  What did ol' Smauggy do, offer him his glasses or something? 05-stirthepot

Dammit, now I have a reason to regret switching to contacts.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - USAFBlazerFan - 02-19-2012 12:18 AM

Yep... Good comedic value to boot.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Matrix - 02-19-2012 11:59 AM

(02-19-2012 12:10 AM)USAFBlazerFan Wrote:  What did ol' Smauggy do, offer him his glasses or something? 05-stirthepot

03-lmfao More than likely, a creative wisecrack about his ancestral heritage, mis-interpretations of basketball rules and his choice in whistles. Stuff that I would not have the testicular fortitude to say to an official from where Gugliotta was sitting when he got the gate.

Now, where I sit at from behind the student section? That's a different story...Now for my money, Robin Ficker is the best heckler I've ever seen at a sporting event. If he's ever held classes on the subject, I have a feeling that some of our fans have enrolled in them, and Smaug got a Masters Degree from him.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Smaug - 02-19-2012 12:04 PM

I never comment on ancestry.

I never get mean, and I never get profane. I don't want people yelling mean, profane things around my kids, and I don't do it around theirs. My heckling is intended to be silly and get a chuckle out of people.

"Ima go down there and kick your seeing-eye dog!" Is still one of my personal old-school favorites.

The time I offered my glasses to an official and got T-ed up, I was actually coaching a game.

Funniest thing I've ever heard though was at a football game with Tulsa, and it came from our own LightEmUp70. "Oh yeah? Well if our women looked like yours, we wouldn't have any dry counties, either!" 03-lol

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Matrix - 02-19-2012 12:12 PM

Smauggie!!!! Good morning! You coming to the Women's game today? I'm bringing my daughter (unless she changes her mind) and we plan on making a slight "fashion statement" at courtside for a few minutes, anyway. LightemUp's crack was hilarious. See? You're contagious! But, in all honesty, even though I've seen you in action at games and your heckling is top-notch and never out of line, when I saw the video clip of "Googs" getting tossed at courtside, I thought of you!

I can assure you, though, that if that were to happen to you, God forbid, you'd get the same roaring ovation of support from the fans that he got in Raleigh.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Smaug - 02-19-2012 12:19 PM

Sadly, no.

I've got some things I simply must get done today.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Matrix - 02-20-2012 11:28 AM

Eli and Stan mentioned him this morning on The Zone. Apparently, he has a reputation for being a *******, & once they found out what he did, once his name was recognized, they cut the story short. This guy must be the Joey Crawford of college basketball referees.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - ATTALLABLAZE - 02-20-2012 03:25 PM

I want a crack at him....... he he

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - BandGrad - 02-20-2012 03:37 PM

I got under Ton O'Neil's skin at the conference tourney back in 96. He threatened to kick me out, but I told him that he wasn't man enough and he didn't. I think this guy overstepped his jurisdiction just a wee bit.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Matrix - 02-20-2012 03:38 PM

(02-20-2012 03:25 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I want a crack at him....... he he
03-lmfao
I have an idea...Make sure Smaug is sitting next to you, then when he looks your way after having said something to him, just point in that direction & give him your "it wasn't me" look.

JK! ;-) You know I don't want to see what happened to "Googs" happen to any of you.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - the_blazerman - 02-20-2012 03:44 PM

Sometimes you wish you had the ability to throw your voice.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Matrix - 02-20-2012 03:45 PM

Being an official myself, I can tell you that I've only enjoyed ejecting someone once in a game....Okay, maybe twice. First time it was a coach, the second time, it was a fan, but get this...The fan was an official, or claimed to be, anyway. So, I'm always leery of giving the ref "the business" when I'm sitting at courtside, now when I'm in the "Frenchy" section, something just comes over me for some reason, and I let them have it!!! I love seeing that kind of passion and animated reactions to bad calls coming from some of us (especially when it's warranted), don't think for a minute that the players don't feed off of some of that and use it to motivate better play.

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - BTR - 02-20-2012 07:37 PM

Just don't offend the yellow coat behind the visitor's bench :)

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - BlazerFromMD - 02-20-2012 08:54 PM

(02-19-2012 11:59 AM)Matrix Wrote:  

03-lmfao More than likely, a creative wisecrack about his ancestral heritage, mis-interpretations of basketball rules and his choice in whistles. Stuff that I would not have the testicular fortitude to say to an official from where Gugliotta was sitting when he got the gate.

Now, where I sit at from behind the student section? That's a different story...Now for my money, Robin Ficker is the best heckler I've ever seen at a sporting event. If he's ever held classes on the subject, I have a feeling that some of our fans have enrolled in them, and Smaug got a Masters Degree from him.

Imagine Robin Ficker taking his act to congress! He is running for the seat in my district. 03-lmfao

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - blazerman2006 - 02-20-2012 10:13 PM

Already been to a CUSA court this year...ours in fact. Home games against Houston and MTSU...

RE: NBR: Referee Karl Hess, coming soon to a CUSA court near you - Memphis Blazer - 02-20-2012 11:01 PM

We won those games, so he must have done a good job.