CSNbbs
Appalachian State in new conference? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+----- Forum: CUSA Smack Talk (/forum-450.html)
+----- Thread: Appalachian State in new conference? (/thread-555801.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Appalachian State in new conference? - Southern Miss Alum - 02-17-2012 08:08 AM

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2012/feb/17/wssport01-conference-shuffling-may-help-appalachia-ar-1940038/

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - OrangeCrush22 - 02-17-2012 08:16 AM

Wouldn't make much sense in the Alliance. You already have ECU in North Carolina. Old Dominion makes a lot of sense. Gets you into a large market, and new state. Plus it's close to ECU, for travel purposes. Georgia State would also fit in the Alliance. Those are the only two FCS teams, in the East, that I'd heavily consider.

App State would fit perfectly in the Sunbelt, along with GaSouthern.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - blunderbuss - 02-17-2012 08:27 AM

Notice that App State's people said they have not been contacted by anyone at ECU. Any comments suggesting App & Charlotte move up directly into the Alliance are just being politically correct.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - MDH - 02-17-2012 08:28 AM

If the expansion is really about markets then I doubt it.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - b0ndsj0ns - 02-17-2012 08:36 AM

(02-17-2012 08:28 AM)MDH Wrote:  If the expansion is really about markets then I doubt it.

Well to show you how crazy and stupid the lines for TV markets are drawn Boone is actually in the Charlotte TV market, yet is further away from Charlotte than Greenville is to Raleigh, a market according to some we get no credit for.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - ecumbh1999 - 02-17-2012 08:40 AM

(02-17-2012 08:28 AM)MDH Wrote:  If the expansion is really about markets then I doubt it.

People are just getting their hopes up in western Carolina. ECU has made these public statements, but think about, with the way things work here in the University System board of Governors, ECU needs Happy Appy and UNCC and others voting with ECU to get thing past UNC. Politically, we need to say we want Appy and UNCC. But, is anything more than just talk. I haven't see anyone from ECU say anything about AppSt. or UNCC in the Merger other than to local media. But, we're being asked about UNCC and AppSt. at the end of these interviews, what does the media and other think ECU would say, hell no we don't want AppSt. or UNCC in the Merger. No, you can't say that.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - Capital Pirate - 02-17-2012 08:41 AM

(02-17-2012 08:36 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Well to show you how crazy and stupid the lines for TV markets are drawn Boone is actually in the Charlotte TV market, yet is further away from Charlotte than Greenville is to Raleigh, a market according to some we get no credit for.

Speaks volumes about the way those subjective lines are drawn......03-idea

Those folks "lucky" enough to be fans of teams in metro areas have no idea.....

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - ECUGrad07 - 02-17-2012 08:52 AM

(02-17-2012 08:08 AM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2012/feb/17/wssport01-conference-shuffling-may-help-appalachia-ar-1940038/

The Winston-Salem Journal is a big App homer paper. Articles like this, while they might have some validity, need to be taken with a grain of salt.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - MinerInWisconsin - 02-17-2012 09:03 AM

I think the most likely scenario is the one towards the end of the article where it says the alliance could take team from the Sun Belt which would create openings for schools like App St. We now know that the Sun Belt wants to get to at least 12 football schools and they have 10. They are likely to lose as many as 2 to the alliance. So when this is done they will need 4. They could conceivably get all 4 from the WAC, I suppose. La Tech, NMSU, Texas St and UTSA would be candidates.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - MUHERD76 - 02-17-2012 09:40 AM

(02-17-2012 08:08 AM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2012/feb/17/wssport01-conference-shuffling-may-help-appalachia-ar-1940038/

Not a chance for Appy in the CUSA/MWC merger. A list of names has already surfaced and Charlotte (who I also think is a long-shot) is even ahead of them.

I do think they might get a shot in the Sunbelt with Benson talking of expanding. Not to mention that we might be getting ready to take a Sunbelt team or two.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - HerdZoned - 02-17-2012 10:53 AM

(02-17-2012 09:03 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  I think the most likely scenario is the one towards the end of the article where it says the alliance could take team from the Sun Belt which would create openings for schools like App St. We now know that the Sun Belt wants to get to at least 12 football schools and they have 10. They are likely to lose as many as 2 to the alliance. So when this is done they will need 4. They could conceivably get all 4 from the WAC, I suppose. La Tech, NMSU, Texas St and UTSA would be candidates.

The thing is even the AD at Slappy Appy has said things about the Slum Belt. Things like he didn't want his school in it. I hate to tell him but not everyone gets to make a jump without paying their dues by starting at the bottom.

I said it last year and I'll say it again. I don't think Slappy Appy moves up anytime soon. There is a part of their fan base that wants to move up. But as a whole they are happy where they are.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - rabidTU - 02-17-2012 11:34 AM

If we water down this league with geographic partners from the Sunbelt and lower, it will doom us by diminishing the product in everyones eyes including the media. If half the Sunbelt moves into this league, we just BECOME the Sunbelt to them because we are the teams that haven't moved to other leagues and are preceived to be inferior to begin with. The alliance needs to stick with the traditional teams that have been playing CFB for decades and have built themselves in that manner IMO.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - goherd17 - 02-17-2012 11:39 AM

(02-17-2012 11:34 AM)rabidTU Wrote:  If we water down this league with geographic partners from the Sunbelt and lower, it will doom us by diminishing the product in everyones eyes including the media. If half the Sunbelt moves into this league, we just BECOME the Sunbelt to them because we are the teams that haven't moved to other leagues and are preceived to be inferior to begin with. The alliance needs to stick with the traditional teams that have been playing CFB for decades and have built themselves in that manner IMO.

We dont have alot of choices and a few belt teams would bring something to the table.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - belmont - 02-17-2012 11:54 AM

(02-17-2012 09:40 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

Not a chance for Appy in the CUSA/MWC merger. A list of names has already surfaced and Charlotte (who I also think is a long-shot) is even ahead of them.

I do think they might get a shot in the Sunbelt with Benson talking of expanding. Not to mention that we might be getting ready to take a Sunbelt team or two.

There is an official list, ranked in order of preference?

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - Saint3333 - 02-17-2012 12:00 PM

(02-17-2012 08:27 AM)NoQuarter08 Wrote:  Notice that App State's people said they have not been contacted by anyone at ECU. Any comments suggesting App & Charlotte move up directly into the Alliance are just being politically correct.

He did use the word "formal" in the sentence you're referring to.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - Saint3333 - 02-17-2012 12:01 PM

(02-17-2012 10:53 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 09:03 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  I think the most likely scenario is the one towards the end of the article where it says the alliance could take team from the Sun Belt which would create openings for schools like App St. We now know that the Sun Belt wants to get to at least 12 football schools and they have 10. They are likely to lose as many as 2 to the alliance. So when this is done they will need 4. They could conceivably get all 4 from the WAC, I suppose. La Tech, NMSU, Texas St and UTSA would be candidates.

The thing is even the AD at Slappy Appy has said things about the Slum Belt. Things like he didn't want his school in it. I hate to tell him but not everyone gets to make a jump without paying their dues by starting at the bottom.

I said it last year and I'll say it again. I don't think Slappy Appy moves up anytime soon. There is a part of their fan base that wants to move up. But as a whole they are happy where they are.

From someone closer to the situation you're wrong about the fanbase.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - HerdZoned - 02-17-2012 12:18 PM

(02-17-2012 12:01 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  From someone closer to the situation you're wrong about the fanbase.

I still think Appy will be playing Samford and Elon in 5 years. Same with Georgia Southern. Unless you get new leadership that doesn't mind starting in the Sun Belt then you will be in the SoCon for the forseeable future.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - stinkfist - 02-17-2012 01:07 PM

(02-17-2012 11:39 AM)goherd17 Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 11:34 AM)rabidTU Wrote:  If we water down this league with geographic partners from the Sunbelt and lower, it will doom us by diminishing the product in everyones eyes including the media. If half the Sunbelt moves into this league, we just BECOME the Sunbelt to them because we are the teams that haven't moved to other leagues and are preceived to be inferior to begin with. The alliance needs to stick with the traditional teams that have been playing CFB for decades and have built themselves in that manner IMO.

We dont have alot of choices and a few belt teams would bring something to the table.

I actually think both of you are right. Regardless, CnTBA (conference name to be announced) will still be a breeding ground for the final expansion both to fill the nBE and the rest of the show

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - st932253 - 02-17-2012 01:16 PM

(02-17-2012 08:41 AM)Capital Pirate Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 08:36 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Well to show you how crazy and stupid the lines for TV markets are drawn Boone is actually in the Charlotte TV market, yet is further away from Charlotte than Greenville is to Raleigh, a market according to some we get no credit for.

Speaks volumes about the way those subjective lines are drawn......03-idea

Those folks "lucky" enough to be fans of teams in metro areas have no idea.....

I understand we are lucky - especially as a young program...but teams like ECU and USM were around when markets didn't rule the roost. Look at most SEC teams or FSU or Clemson...

I get that it is unfair now, based on merit alone, that we get in while ECU and USM didnt, but you all at least existed in a time where you could have established your own value in the non-tv driven world.

RE: Appalachian State in new conference? - Saint3333 - 02-17-2012 01:16 PM

(02-17-2012 12:18 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 12:01 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  From someone closer to the situation you're wrong about the fanbase.

I still think Appy will be playing Samford and Elon in 5 years. Same with Georgia Southern. Unless you get new leadership that doesn't mind starting in the Sun Belt then you will be in the SoCon for the forseeable future.

I think you don't know much about ASU's fanbase nor its leadership. Our leaders are doing exactly what they should be doing - exploring all options. Like anyone in their position they will attempt to position themselves for the best option available and work down the list.

You may be right, but I see ASU moving to the FBS and competing very favorably at that level in five years.