CSNbbs
Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois Archives (/forum-792.html)
+----- Thread: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? (/thread-555267.html)

Pages: 1 2

Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - rabidawg900 - 02-14-2012 04:16 PM

It never was that great, but now I don't even look at the articles anymore. I used to open them up in my rss feed, now I just skip them.

Don't really know what is going on over there. Most of the stuff is like a touched up press release. Haven't seen actual reporting done there in a year or two. Miss you Ben Gross!

It used to be a race b/w the Daily Chronicle and the Northern Star for best sports coverage, but NS has fallen by the wayside.

This is without even talking about the negative articles regarding NIU Athletics. Sorry if I am offending anybody here, just seeing if anybody else feels the same way.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - HuskieJohn - 02-14-2012 04:29 PM

They should cut back to 2 papers a week on Mondays and Thursdays.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - Dog Fan - 02-14-2012 04:45 PM

There is no better coverage of Huskie sports than the Daily Chronicle. The great magazine of our MAC Championship season they published last month is but one testament to this.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - 7 - 02-14-2012 04:55 PM

John Sahly is amazing, we're really spoiled with the coverage.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - NIU007 - 02-14-2012 06:08 PM

(02-14-2012 04:55 PM)7 Wrote:  John Sahly is amazing, we're really spoiled with the coverage.

The last time I said something like that I was accused of being on the staff. But anyway, I agree, it's nice to have somebody that consistently reports on NIU and does so in a professional and positive manner.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - rabidawg900 - 02-14-2012 06:17 PM

We're really lucky. Most Chicago sportswriters are hacks. But then I have nothing to make fun of, which kind of makes me sad.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - MaddDawgz02 - 02-14-2012 06:58 PM

This is a great time for NIU football with incredible success last year and a bright future. You are going to get a naturally low coverage from the Northern Star which does not want NIU to be successful. Its much like Al Jezeera. They are not going to give great intense coverage of a war in which Americans are winning. It would be counter productive. I am suprised though we have not seen the annual "why are funds going to support an NIU bowl game and not going to the Poetry Club" story. They are slipping. Ben Gross was a big part of the problem too, coverage has not dropped off since he left, it was always god awful

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - niuguy - 02-14-2012 06:59 PM

You guys are knuckleheads.

Its a paper thats a nice way for students to catch up on the happenings around campus, Dekalb, some national stories, and NIU sports between breaks from class. Students can also see what kind of events are going on around campus.

Don't over think it!

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - MaddDawgz02 - 02-14-2012 07:01 PM

(02-14-2012 06:59 PM)niuguy Wrote:  You guys are knuckleheads.

Its a paper thats a nice way for students to catch up on the happenings around campus, Dekalb, some national stories, and NIU sports between breaks from class. Students can also see what kind of events are going on around campus.

Don't over think it!

I think most realize the agenda of the NS now. It is good people are more aware now, because it lessens their power to turn people away from athletics if the motives are so transparent. I think that was their biggest mistake is going from a subtle anti-athletics view that was usually cleverly hidden and subliminally presented to a more aggressive combatitive, and obvious agenda. They lost their power of influence by doing that.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - PeoriaHuskie11 - 02-14-2012 07:06 PM

everyone knows people pick up a copy of the northern star to do the crossword puzzle and the sudoku

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - bikechuck - 02-14-2012 07:13 PM

Don't over think it!

+1

It is a student newspaper and it will go through periods of strength and weakness. I think that it is rare for a University of NIU's size to have a daily paper and I think that it is cool that it exists and that it is published daily.

Sure I think it would be nice if they were more supportive of NIU athletics and helped get people out to the games and to stay on campus for the weekends. That said not everyone enjoys sports and they are entitled to their editorial views.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - niuguy - 02-14-2012 07:17 PM

(02-14-2012 07:01 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Don't over think it!

I think most realize the agenda of the NS now. It is good people are more aware now, because it lessens their power to turn people away from athletics if the motives are so transparent. I think that was their biggest mistake is going from a subtle anti-athletics view that was usually cleverly hidden and subliminally presented to a more aggressive combatitive, and obvious agenda. They lost their power of influence by doing that.

[Image: d37e68b4-dba1-4886-84cd-8edf87e722c3.jpg]

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - Big_Man - 02-14-2012 07:21 PM

Don't over think it!

Agreed. I have graduated from NIU and probably have read the Star a handful of times since then. Do I really care about some student editorial about social media? Or all the hot spots in DeKalb? Maybe 4 years ago, but certainly not now.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - MaddDawgz02 - 02-14-2012 07:23 PM

(02-14-2012 07:21 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  

Don't over think it!

Agreed. I have graduated from NIU and probably have read the Star a handful of times since then. Do I really care about some student editorial about social media? Or all the hot spots in DeKalb? Maybe 4 years ago, but certainly not now.

I love NIU and thus what the NS says will never change my mind about NIU. It is just unfortunate to me that they are trying to influence current students to stay away from athletics. It is just sad.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - cagy cager - 02-14-2012 08:13 PM

We need to change Maddawg's name to Taxi driver.....where does such delusional thinking originate? I cannot fathom where, in the recesses and bowels of the NS the powers that be sit around and conspire against NIU athletics. Paranoia aside, is there any other reason to believe there is truly an "agenda" against NIU athletics? Apathy, sure, but actually working to end athletics? wow!

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - MaddDawgz02 - 02-14-2012 08:43 PM

(02-14-2012 08:13 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  We need to change Maddawg's name to Taxi driver.....where does such delusional thinking originate? I cannot fathom where, in the recesses and bowels of the NS the powers that be sit around and conspire against NIU athletics. Paranoia aside, is there any other reason to believe there is truly an "agenda" against NIU athletics? Apathy, sure, but actually working to end athletics? wow!

That is not even a question, writers from the NS have already admitted this.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - DogTracks - 02-14-2012 09:26 PM

(02-14-2012 07:13 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  

Don't over think it!

+1

It is a student newspaper and it will go through periods of strength and weakness. I think that it is rare for a University of NIU's size to have a daily paper and I think that it is cool that it exists and that it is published daily.

Sure I think it would be nice if they were more supportive of NIU athletics and helped get people out to the games and to stay on campus for the weekends. That said not everyone enjoys sports and they are entitled to their editorial views.

And considering there's barely a journalism program at NIU, buried somewhere in the COMS department, there's bound to be more lean years than not.

And that's without even factoring in the decline of "real world" print journalism.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - beachboy - 02-14-2012 10:30 PM

I'm sure the Star sportswriters do their best to cover the Huskies, but they can't keep up with Ryan Wood and John Sahly. Those two are full-time professionals going up against students juggling classwork with newspaper work. Chronicle does a great job for a newspaper its size.

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - cagy cager - 02-14-2012 11:00 PM

you cannot simply spout such ridiculous gibberish as "writers from the NS have already admitted this." Cite where this was written? what are the exact quotes? Are you paranoid about other things? Did the U.S. really go to the moon? Did the mob kill JFK? Did the U.S. government mastermind the 911 destruction of the twin trade towers? What other wild, almost psychotic conspircies do you buy into?

RE: Northern Star not worth reading anymore? - niuguy - 02-15-2012 12:52 AM

(02-14-2012 11:00 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  you cannot simply spout such ridiculous gibberish as "writers from the NS have already admitted this." Cite where this was written? what are the exact quotes? Are you paranoid about other things? Did the U.S. really go to the moon? Did the mob kill JFK? Did the U.S. government mastermind the 911 destruction of the twin trade towers? What other wild, almost psychotic conspircies do you buy into?

I can't remember his name but a writer (former?) from the NS recently wrote on these boards that there was NO anti athletics bias.

This is MD being a crazy "with us or against us" type guy. If the NS doesn't circle jerk to the gods of NIU athletics every issue MD thinks there is some conspiracy against the Huskies. Last time I checked, this was a student news paper which, generally, has huge support for NIU athletics and on occasion has some often legit opinions that might not completely jive with what we believe here.

It is not, and never will be, the job of the NS to be the mouth piece of the NIU athletics department. NS is independent and believe it or not, not everyone at NIU thinks they are there to support the athletics.