CSNbbs
BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-517.html)
+----- Forum: Realignment Archives (/forum-937.html)
+----- Thread: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. (/thread-555198.html)

Pages: 1 2

BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - War Torn Ruston - 02-14-2012 12:08 PM

Tweet from Jeremy Mauss

RT @HoyosRevenge Just told by a couple of people Big10/Pac12 games have officially ended BYU V Utah in football for the forseeable future.

https://twitter.com/#!/JeremyMauss

BYU really needs to accept whatever offer the Big 12 is giving them or they could be in serious trouble with schedule's seeing as to how every conference is expanding and there is less OOC games for relevant teams.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - The Brown Bull - 02-14-2012 01:50 PM

That is my thought also about BYU.

They are going to have a real hard time filling their schedule in this new environment. Notre Dame has built in rivalries that people will make room for. I don't think BYU will get the same treatment.

I think that is why Navy has left Indy status and Army has accepted that they are basically a Sun Belt team.....so it doesn't really matter what they do.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - bitcruncher - 02-14-2012 02:30 PM

BYU may already be out of the Big XII picture, unless the conference expands beyond 12 members. But with all the movement and uncertainty at the moment, who know?

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - The Brown Bull - 02-14-2012 02:43 PM

I still think BYU wants to continue to test this Indy thing.

What may happen is they will be an independant for 4 or 5 seasons.....and when their Ponzi scheme like scheduling come crashing down (where they have like 8 road games and only 4 home games).....they will be looking for a conference.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Fresno St. Alum - 02-14-2012 03:30 PM

BYU-Utah isn't real high on my list of noooooooooooo they need to play.

Oklahoma-Nebraska
Texas-Texas A&M

Are WVU and Pitt still going to play? That is much higher up than BYU-Utah too.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - ohio1317 - 02-14-2012 03:40 PM

(02-14-2012 03:30 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  BYU-Utah isn't real high on my list of noooooooooooo they need to play.

Oklahoma-Nebraska
Texas-Texas A&M

Are WVU and Pitt still going to play? That is much higher up than BYU-Utah too.

West Virginia and Pitt aren't going to keep playing, at least not for now.

I'll say this about BYU and Utah in defense of it over the other rivalries. BYU and Utah were always (and still are each others) biggest rivals. Oklahoma valued the Texas rivalry at least as much as the Nebraska rivalry from what I've seen. Texas meanwhile valued the Oklahoma rivalry far more than the one with Texas A&M. Pitt would have gladly exchanged West Virginia for Penn State. BYU and Utah were undeniably each others main rivals. The only other game lost like that jumps out at me is Kansas-Missouri.

I'm not saying I won't miss some of those other series more too. 04-cheers

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - War Torn Ruston - 02-14-2012 03:48 PM

Someone ranked this thread a low score? Dumb. Completely dumb.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Fresno St. Alum - 02-14-2012 03:53 PM

I grew up a Nebraska fan, before I even knew Fresno had NCAA football, Fresno played in the PCAA and I wondered when they'd be good enough for the NCAA, not knowing they were already in. Nebraska/Oklahoma in the 80's was the biggest rivalry, Texas always got killed by Oklahoma back then and usually the winner of NU/OU would be playing for a title. Kansas/Mizzou in basketball yes. Kansas/Mizzou are meh in football. Pitt/PSU would have been great too. Another that I would rank higher than BYU/Utah. I rank Oregon/Oregon St. higher than that too. LSU/Arkansas etc...

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Hokie4Skins - 02-14-2012 03:58 PM

LSU-Arkansas wasn't really a big rivalry until they became conference mates. They went like 20-30 years without playing each other until Arkansas joined the SEC.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - ohio1317 - 02-14-2012 04:01 PM

(02-14-2012 03:53 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  I grew up a Nebraska fan, before I even knew Fresno had NCAA football, Fresno played in the PCAA and I wondered when they'd be good enough for the NCAA, not knowing they were already in. Nebraska/Oklahoma in the 80's was the biggest rivalry, Texas always got killed by Oklahoma back then and usually the winner of NU/OU would be playing for a title. Kansas/Mizzou in basketball yes. Kansas/Mizzou are meh in football. Pitt/PSU would have been great too. Another that I would rank higher than BYU/Utah. I rank Oregon/Oregon St. higher than that too. LSU/Arkansas etc...

I'd several as more important to me too (including Nebraska/Oklahoma), but I'd rank BYU/Utah over Oregon/Oregon State and definitely over Arkansas/LSU. It has less national implications than them, but was a season ending game for a long time and a defining game for both programs in a way LSU vs. Arkansas never seemed to me. Oregon vs. Oregon State is closer, but doesn't seem to divide the state and region as much.

I guess this is my standard for how a good a rivalry is. If both teams suck, how much do I want to watch the game.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Fresno St. Alum - 02-14-2012 04:24 PM

(02-14-2012 04:01 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  
(02-14-2012 03:53 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  I grew up a Nebraska fan, before I even knew Fresno had NCAA football, Fresno played in the PCAA and I wondered when they'd be good enough for the NCAA, not knowing they were already in. Nebraska/Oklahoma in the 80's was the biggest rivalry, Texas always got killed by Oklahoma back then and usually the winner of NU/OU would be playing for a title. Kansas/Mizzou in basketball yes. Kansas/Mizzou are meh in football. Pitt/PSU would have been great too. Another that I would rank higher than BYU/Utah. I rank Oregon/Oregon St. higher than that too. LSU/Arkansas etc...

I'd several as more important to me too (including Nebraska/Oklahoma), but I'd rank BYU/Utah over Oregon/Oregon State and definitely over Arkansas/LSU. It has less national implications than them, but was a season ending game for a long time and a defining game for both programs in a way LSU vs. Arkansas never seemed to me. Oregon vs. Oregon State is closer, but doesn't seem to divide the state and region as much.

I guess this is my standard for how a good a rivalry is. If both teams suck, how much do I want to watch the game.
I would be bummed if the longest rivalry was stopped even though they are FCS schools. Lafayette and Lehigh, but I'd never watch that game over any FBS game. Okay I'd watch it over Boise St. New Mexico St. because BSU would win by 70.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Fresno St. Alum - 02-14-2012 04:26 PM

Now that Michigan is good again OSU/Michigan wins the best rivalry going pretty easily. It probabl has ever since NU/OU got moved off of black friday, when the big 12 formed.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - justinslot - 02-14-2012 05:00 PM

Utah-BYU is the nation's greatest rivalry in terms of sweet unbridled hatred--the thing that REALLY makes sports rivalries go--and the fact that it's being abandoned while pablum like Notre-Dame-USC keeps going is an unmitigated farce.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - CardFan1 - 02-14-2012 05:26 PM

Time for BYU to BE or B12.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Wedge - 02-14-2012 05:42 PM

(02-14-2012 12:08 PM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  Tweet from Jeremy Mauss

RT @HoyosRevenge Just told by a couple of people Big10/Pac12 games have officially ended BYU V Utah in football for the forseeable future.

Uhhh, does he mean when the B1G-Pac football series starts in 2017?

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Fresno St. Alum - 02-14-2012 05:49 PM

BYU going Indy keeps getting worse all the time.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - OrangeCrush22 - 02-14-2012 05:51 PM

Sucks for the people of Utah. Other than those within the state, no one is really affected though.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - He1nousOne - 02-14-2012 06:32 PM

(02-14-2012 05:51 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Sucks for the people of Utah. Other than those within the state, no one is really affected though.

Right here. I feel for the people of Utah because to them this is a big deal and that makes it a big deal but sometimes change can be painful like that.

Right now Utah is moving in a direction of what is good for Utah and due to BYU's special circumstances that they insist must be in place....BYU likely cannot move on and up in the same direction as Utah.

Now BYU has to find a way to bring their relevance up to a level where Utah cannot ignore them.

I would think that with the New Big East will lie a much easier scheduling situation for BYU than the Big 12 would be. That is where BYU should look in my opinion. Increase their nationwide appeal and then perhaps Utah will see an increased value in a BYU/Utah rivalry.

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - Fresno St. Alum - 02-14-2012 06:45 PM

(02-14-2012 06:32 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(02-14-2012 05:51 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Sucks for the people of Utah. Other than those within the state, no one is really affected though.

Right here. I feel for the people of Utah because to them this is a big deal and that makes it a big deal but sometimes change can be painful like that.

Right now Utah is moving in a direction of what is good for Utah and due to BYU's special circumstances that they insist must be in place....BYU likely cannot move on and up in the same direction as Utah.

Now BYU has to find a way to bring their relevance up to a level where Utah cannot ignore them.

I would think that with the New Big East will lie a much easier scheduling situation for BYU than the Big 12 would be. That is where BYU should look in my opinion. Increase their nationwide appeal and then perhaps Utah will see an increased value in a BYU/Utah rivalry.
But the B12>BE and BYU thinks they are awesome so they'd prefer the Better conf. Right now they think they're ND who is above conferences(in their mind)

RE: BYU and Utah rivalry ends for now. - ConanX - 02-14-2012 06:46 PM

(02-14-2012 12:08 PM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  Tweet from Jeremy Mauss

BYU really needs to accept whatever offer the Big 12 is giving them or they could be in serious trouble with schedule's seeing as to how every conference is expanding and there is less OOC games for relevant teams.
They had a rivalry? Who knew? 03-phew