CSNbbs
UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: MACbbs Archives (/forum-480.html)
+----- Thread: UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. (/thread-549655.html)

UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - malves21 - 01-20-2012 12:33 PM

Word from Coachingsearch.com is that UMass has hired former Hawaii Offensive Coordinator Nick Rolovich has been hired by UMass:

Quote:
UMASS: Sources tell me that University of Buffalo grad assistant Charley Molnar and Hawaii offensive / coordinator Nick Rolovich have accepted positions on the staff at UMASS. Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. Also, as reported here weeks ago, former New Mexico offensive line / run game coordinator Ron Hudson will join the staff.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

MassLive quotes the same report:

http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2012/01/report_says_umass_football_to.html

The Football Scoop also has this info:

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Nick Rolovich's profile from Hawaii:

http://hawaiiathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=312&path=football

"Rolovich, who took over play-calling duties in 2009 while serving as quarterbacks coach, directed an offense which led the NCAA in passing at 394.3 yards per game and ranked in the Top 10 in scoring total offense (500.6) and scoring (39.6)."

RE: UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - onlinepole - 01-20-2012 12:51 PM

Rolovich played QB at Hawaii, sounds like a heck of a hire getting him to leave his alma mater. Any connections he has on the West Coast will be very helpful to the Minutemen. I know in the past UMASS recruited California quite heavily.

RE: UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - Sam Minuteman - 01-21-2012 12:05 AM

(01-20-2012 12:51 PM)onlinepole Wrote:  Rolovich played QB at Hawaii, sounds like a heck of a hire getting him to leave his alma mater. Any connections he has on the West Coast will be very helpful to the Minutemen. I know in the past UMASS recruited California quite heavily.

Mr. V tells us that:
The former Hawaii quarterback was let go along with the rest of the coaching staff when head coach Greg McMackin was fired, a move that according to media reports did not result from the performance of the offense.

http://www.gazettenet.com/2012/01/20/hawaii-offensive-coordinator-joining-charlie-molnar039s-umass-staff

So I don't think he had much of a choice leaving but I for one am very excited about this hire. Maybe I am completely off base here but I have been pysced about this hire since I read about it and I think it is being "under-hyped" if possible in Umass circles.

I hope to hear from some of the more seasoned MAC fans about their thoughts on this hire.

RE: UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - pono - 01-21-2012 03:21 AM

rolo is a june jones run n shoot prodigy. played qb for him and got his coaching start under him. when jones went to smu, hawaii hired their dc, mcmackin to take over. the program kinda stagnated and the school fired mcmackin and brought in legendary qb coach and oc norm chow, hawaii guy who spent most of his career at byu and pac10, to be head coach. he brought in an entirely new staff. rolo is a competent offensive coach and knows the spread/run n shoot offense very well. umass can expect lots of passing, more vertical than the side to side spread more common in the mac. they'll need a smart qb who can make quick reads to run rolo's offense as it's predicated on lots of reads and adjustments made at a fast pace. btw, hawaii didn't have a fullback or tight end on the roster last yr. expect to recruit lots of speed receivers and lineman w pass blocking skills.

RE: UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - emu steve - 01-21-2012 05:51 AM

(01-21-2012 03:21 AM)pono Wrote:  rolo is a june jones run n shoot prodigy. played qb for him and got his coaching start under him. when jones went to smu, hawaii hired their dc, mcmackin to take over. the program kinda stagnated and the school fired mcmackin and brought in legendary qb coach and oc norm chow, hawaii guy who spent most of his career at byu and pac10, to be head coach. he brought in an entirely new staff. rolo is a competent offensive coach and knows the spread/run n shoot offense very well. umass can expect lots of passing, more vertical than the side to side spread more common in the mac. they'll need a smart qb who can make quick reads to run rolo's offense as it's predicated on lots of reads and adjustments made at a fast pace. btw, hawaii didn't have a fullback or tight end on the roster last yr. expect to recruit lots of speed receivers and lineman w pass blocking skills.

Very nice post.

UMass offense could be fun and yes, us MACsters love to see basketball scores during fall.

RE: UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - LastMinuteman - 01-21-2012 09:03 AM

(01-21-2012 03:21 AM)pono Wrote:  rolo is a june jones run n shoot prodigy. played qb for him and got his coaching start under him. when jones went to smu, hawaii hired their dc, mcmackin to take over. the program kinda stagnated and the school fired mcmackin and brought in legendary qb coach and oc norm chow, hawaii guy who spent most of his career at byu and pac10, to be head coach. he brought in an entirely new staff. rolo is a competent offensive coach and knows the spread/run n shoot offense very well. umass can expect lots of passing, more vertical than the side to side spread more common in the mac. they'll need a smart qb who can make quick reads to run rolo's offense as it's predicated on lots of reads and adjustments made at a fast pace. btw, hawaii didn't have a fullback or tight end on the roster last yr. expect to recruit lots of speed receivers and lineman w pass blocking skills.

As fate would have it, our last recruiting class (under the previous coach) was mostly wide receivers. The breakout of Victor Cruz probably had something to do with that. Traditionally, UMass offenses are centered around feature RBs and massive (by FCS standards) OL, but this is clearly a new era. I like the Air Mass approach, because that will immediately differentiate us from the boring BC and UConn offenses. The problem is, our QB recruiting has been wildly hit or miss. Going into next season, the leader on the depth chart is an injury-prone former Bowling Green walk-on, and his main competition is a kid who came to us when Akron declined to extend him a scholarship. Barring some surprise newcomers or some returnees really stepping up their games, next season's UMass offense will probably be the definition of "work in progress".

RE: UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - UMassD - 01-21-2012 12:35 PM

(01-21-2012 09:03 AM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  Going into next season, the leader on the depth chart is an injury-prone former Bowling Green walk-on, and his main competition is a kid who came to us when Akron declined to extend him a scholarship. Barring some surprise newcomers or some returnees really stepping up their games, next season's UMass offense will probably be the definition of "work in progress".

LM, with UMass having received verbals from 2 other reportedly talented qb's, not to mention a couple of others already on the roster, I don't think Pagel is guaranteed to be the frontrunner, and it's doubtful in my mind that the other qb that "came to us when Akron declined to extend him a scholarship" will be anywhere close. That said, I agree that this will take some time regardless.

RE: UMASS: Rolovich will serve as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. - MileHighBronco - 01-21-2012 03:05 PM

Sounds like a good hire to me and it suggests that the staff already understands the MAC as a QB league and the need for a quick strike offense.