CSNbbs
ESPN references to ULL - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+----- Forum: Sun Belt Smack Talk (/forum-309.html)
+----- Thread: ESPN references to ULL (/thread-542213.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

ESPN references to ULL - eager eagle - 12-18-2011 03:09 PM

You saw it, ESPN displayed a logo belonging to Lafayette rather than ULL, very hard to believe that was a mistake. Did you notice throughout the game the flaunting use of the name Louisiana-Lafayette, they must have used Lafayette a thousand times. Could it be the ESPN folks got pissed at the pressure on them to use University of Louisiana rather than ULL or UL Lafayette and deliberately rubbed the Cajuns nose in it. This could be similar to the college world series playoff in New Orleans a few years back when some in the media became hostile to the pressure brought on them to use UL.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - TroyFootball05 - 12-18-2011 03:18 PM

Doubt it. I think they're just slow on the uptake. Either that or they are simply unaware. Someone said one of their fans had a ULL sign though. I would think some of the fan base is ok with "ULL."

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Usajags - 12-18-2011 03:22 PM

When did the actual change over occur??? I know it took a year or two for me to stop referring to Troy as TSU.

If you guys would stop changing your names you brand will become stronger. We have never changed out name at South Alabama and every one knows USA USA USA!!! :ugaexams:

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Burn the Horse - 12-18-2011 03:43 PM

their university is still the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, that has never changed. they are trying to brand their athletics teams as Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns, but it hasn't been very successful. I saw the Cajun fan's sign in the crowd that said ULL on it too, the camera zoomed in on it.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Usajags - 12-18-2011 04:36 PM

So they want to be the University of Louisiana at Lafayette "Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns"???... Now that is just confusing... 01-wingedeagle

RE: ESPN references to ULL - MTPiKapp - 12-18-2011 04:46 PM

(12-18-2011 04:36 PM)Usajags Wrote:  So they want to be the University of Louisiana at Lafayette "Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns"???... Now that is just confusing... 01-wingedeagle

The university is still The University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The have multiple preferred brandings for their athletic programs, just don't ever utter that three syllable city name when talking about their athletics.

There's a great debate as to what is and isn't legal, the way I understand it using "University of Louisiana" in any official capacity is not legal, but using "Louisiana" or "Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns" is.

As far as I'm concerned they aren't "UL" and they aren't "University of Louisiana" because both of those imply an actual name change to the university itself. Just like despite the desire of many of my Blue Raider brethren I will not refer to our school as "UMT" or "University of Middle Tennessee" as both of those also imply a name change to the university itself.

Middle Tennessee and Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns: Make sense to me

UMT/University of Middle Tennessee and UL/University of Louisiana: Not so much.

But to each their own, every one call their own school whatever they want, that's just the way I see it.

And once again, congrats to Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns on the big win last night.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Burn the Horse - 12-18-2011 04:48 PM

it's a big deal to them, not so much to us. unfortunantly, the fighting their fans have to do within their state's borders has spilled over on to this board, which has little to no understanding/interest in the issue.

I call them Louisiana because it sounds a LOT better than their actual name and I want our Conference to look better. more marketable names makes the Belt look better.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Usajags - 12-18-2011 04:52 PM

So what offense will Kapp take to me calling MTSU- Little Middle.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Trulyb - 12-18-2011 04:55 PM

(12-18-2011 04:48 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  it's a big deal to them, not so much to us. unfortunantly, the fighting their fans have to do within their state's borders has spilled over on to this board, which has little to no understanding/interest in the issue.

I call them Louisiana because it sounds a LOT better than their actual name and I want our Conference to look better. more marketable names makes the Belt look better.

BAD REASON

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Burn the Horse - 12-18-2011 04:56 PM

(12-18-2011 04:55 PM)Trulyb Wrote:  
(12-18-2011 04:48 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  it's a big deal to them, not so much to us. unfortunantly, the fighting their fans have to do within their state's borders has spilled over on to this board, which has little to no understanding/interest in the issue.

BAD REASON

eh, that's your opinion. I can call 'em what I want for any reason I choose.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Trulyb - 12-18-2011 04:57 PM

doesnt make it right, but everyone has an opinion

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Burn the Horse - 12-18-2011 04:58 PM

(12-18-2011 04:57 PM)Trulyb Wrote:  doesnt make it right, but everyone has an opinion

that is correct sir. we are all entitled to our opinions.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - MTPiKapp - 12-18-2011 05:01 PM

(12-18-2011 04:52 PM)Usajags Wrote:  So what offense will Kapp take to me calling MTSU- Little Middle.

Nothing I haven't heard before.

Personally I've always thought name smack was pretty silly.

Of course there's a big difference between calling Louisiana the dreaded three letter moniker and calling us "Little Middle". "ULL" is still the name of the university, but that's neither here nor there, I don't call them that.

Again, I refer to us by our preferred athletic branding "Middle Tennessee". Others refer to us by our desired name change "UMT" and most people who don't know refer to us by our (GASP!) official name "MTSU" and most rivals here refer to us as MUTS and most Vandy and Tennessee fans refer to us as "Little Middle".

I'm just not that concerned with what other people call my school. Call us whatever the hell you want.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Burn the Horse - 12-18-2011 05:13 PM

I've always called yall MTSU, but not out of disrespect. I just thought it was cool.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Usajags - 12-18-2011 06:40 PM

I don't get how the school is not the brand. We are the University of South Alabama "Jaguars", not the USA Jaguars or anything of that nature. You exist because of your school, how can your brand be anything other then the name of your school??? Now if the school changes name, such as Troy did when they dropped the State, then fine, but to have a different name for your teams that isn't the same as your school makes no sense.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - AstroCajun - 12-18-2011 06:50 PM

Go ahead and send this to the smack folder. EE's intentions aren't remotely honorable.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Tuffguy21 - 12-18-2011 06:54 PM

(12-18-2011 06:40 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I don't get how the school is not the brand. We are the University of South Alabama "Jaguars", not the USA Jaguars or anything of that nature. You exist because of your school, how can your brand be anything other then the name of your school??? Now if the school changes name, such as Troy did when they dropped the State, then fine, but to have a different name for your teams that isn't the same as your school makes no sense.

Ole Miss, Texas, Cal...

RE: ESPN references to ULL - eager eagle - 12-18-2011 07:34 PM

(12-18-2011 06:50 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  Go ahead and send this to the smack folder. EE's intentions aren't remotely honorable.
------------------------------------

So in your opinion my intentions would only be honorable if I knelt before the throne and addressed ULL as University of Louisiana. Do you know how the University of Louisiana SYSTEM president, Randy Moffett, addressed the recent entry of the University of New Orleans to the system? He said, quoting from the newspaper this morning, that "The addition of UNO complements our EIGHT REGIONAL, comprehensive, research universities truly making the UL system NINE universities strong". ULL, for your information, is ONE of the now nine REGIONAL universities in the UL system. He said it, not me.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - OwlFamily - 12-18-2011 07:50 PM

Moved before it gets out of hand.

RE: ESPN references to ULL - Complacent Cajun - 12-18-2011 07:54 PM

(12-18-2011 07:34 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(12-18-2011 06:50 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  Go ahead and send this to the smack folder. EE's intentions aren't remotely honorable.
------------------------------------

So in your opinion my intentions would only be honorable if I knelt before the throne and addressed ULL as University of Louisiana. Do you know how the University of Louisiana SYSTEM president, Randy Moffett, addressed the recent entry of the University of New Orleans to the system? He said, quoting from the newspaper this morning, that "The addition of UNO complements our EIGHT REGIONAL, comprehensive, research universities truly making the UL system NINE universities strong". ULL, for your information, is ONE of the now nine REGIONAL universities in the UL system. He said it, not me.

The amount of ***** I give about any of that, or what ESPN was saying while our team won is on par with the amount of ***** our Strength and Conditioning coach gave while he was bleeding on the sidelines.

[Image: cIgWk.gif]