CSNbbs
Are we improving? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: OVCbbs (/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Ohio Valley Team Talk (/forum-784.html)
+----- Forum: Little Rock (/forum-291.html)
+----- Thread: Are we improving? (/thread-539350.html)

Are we improving? - MICHAELSPAPPY - 12-08-2011 08:23 AM

We knew we would be pretty bad starting off. But are we getting better? That really is the only question at this point. I can't answer that because I have only seen the one game.

RE: Are we improving? - outsideualr - 12-08-2011 08:27 AM

I saw many good signs the other day. It wasn't just the competition. It was sharing the ball and playing as a team. I'll be interested to see how we play against Mo State. We might not win the game, but I want to see continued improvement.

RE: Are we improving? - MICHAELSPAPPY - 12-08-2011 08:32 AM

I think WN's game has gotten more consistent since the first couple of games. Courtney has turned into a very consistent inside player. I have to believe that the 3-point portion of our game won't stay as bad as it has been.

RE: Are we improving? - MICHAELSPAPPY - 12-08-2011 08:33 AM

We still basically play a 10-man rotation, which is too many for our basic game pace. There should be some further winnowing as soon as we get figured out who can bring it.

RE: Are we improving? - outsideualr - 12-08-2011 08:57 AM

If you play extremely tough man to man defense, which we attempt to do, it is difficult to consistently play well on offense when you play only seven or eight players because you lose your legs at some point in the game and that affects your perimeter shooting. If you're not going to play a lot of players, than in order to be very effective on offense, a zone defense is probably a better option. If you're going to play an aggressive man to man, then a ten man rotation is probably better, if you have ten players who can play. If you don't, go to the zone. I noticed the South Dakota women were very effective in mass substitution the other evening. They would run four or five new players in every five to eight minutes, and they wore our kids out. I think we have enough solid players to play a ten man rotation this season. First unit. Dre, Dillard, Taggart, Courtney, and WN. Second unit. Chucky, Lawton, Tramar, Marlo and Javes. I believe the second unit could hold their own for a few minutes at a time. Just a thought to ponder.

RE: Are we improving? - MICHAELSPAPPY - 12-08-2011 08:59 AM

Marlo isn't getting many minutes, but he is hitting his shots and has more rebounds/minute than WN or Courtney.

RE: Are we improving? - MICHAELSPAPPY - 12-08-2011 10:39 AM

BTH's plus/minus shows Lockhart and Dillard as the only players positive for the year.

Top Five:
1 - Williams
2 - Dillard
3 - Lockhart
4 - Louzeiro
5 - Neighbour

Have we ever had that combination in the game?

RE: Are we improving? - outsideualr - 12-08-2011 12:05 PM

Courtney is playing too well to leave him out of the starting lineup. He does a lot of the dirty work around the basket, and scores enough to keep his spot. If he could just shoot free throws better.

RE: Are we improving? - MICHAELSPAPPY - 12-08-2011 12:35 PM

Thankfully, he is not shooting a huge amount of FTs so far.

RE: Are we improving? - LRTrojan - 12-08-2011 02:15 PM

Not even considering the Philander Smith game, that was like a intersquad game as far as I'm concerned, we are getting better. We've got some talent.

RE: Are we improving? - outsideualr - 12-08-2011 03:38 PM

I referred to it as an exhibition game. It doesn't count on our record as a win as far as the ratings go.