CSNbbs
Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+----- Forum: CUSA Smack Talk (/forum-450.html)
+----- Thread: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE (/thread-533310.html)

Pages: 1 2

Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - Tallgrass - 11-20-2011 04:42 PM

"We were fortunate to get out," said West Virginia AD Oliver Luck. "We got out of the Big East when the ship was seriously going down. I mean, only the tip of the sail was showing."

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - Kronke - 11-20-2011 04:44 PM

(11-20-2011 04:42 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

Super cereal?

[Image: im_super_serial__2.png]

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - justin_sane15 - 11-20-2011 04:45 PM

07-coffee3

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - Maize - 11-20-2011 05:02 PM

And from the "Twitter World"...BYU/ESPN & BIG EAST now on board:

TheDstauff D-Stauff
BYU to Big East announcement expected sometime between Hawaii game and Armed Forces Bowl. Timeline could change though.
23 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply » TheDstauff D-Stauff @

@Pioneerloft Yes, he's directly involved in the talks. Not someone giving me second-hand information.
23 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply » TheDstauff D-Stauff

If I told you that, he'd no longer be my source. But it's high enough. RT @Pioneerloft: @TheDstauff what is your source on BYU to Big East?
23 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply » TheDstauff D-Stauff

SOURCES: Deal with ESPN and BYU sorted out, BYU plans on moving forward with Big East. WILL have basketball schedule considerations. #solid
23 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

https://twitter.com/#!/TheDstauff

04-cheers

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - GeminiCoog - 11-20-2011 05:06 PM

(11-20-2011 04:42 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  "We were fortunate to get out," said West Virginia AD Oliver Luck. "We got out of the Big East when the ship was seriously going down. I mean, only the tip of the sail was showing."

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but Oliver Luck is a jerk. (In fairness, you could end up being right for all I know. In the meantime, I'm just chalking it up to mere speculation. That's all it is right now on both sides of this whole issue.)

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - mufanatehc - 11-20-2011 05:08 PM

(11-20-2011 05:06 PM)GeminiShamrock Wrote:  
(11-20-2011 04:42 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  "We were fortunate to get out," said West Virginia AD Oliver Luck. "We got out of the Big East when the ship was seriously going down. I mean, only the tip of the sail was showing."

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but Oliver Luck is a jerk. (In fairness, you could end up being right for all I know. In the meantime, I'm just chalking it up to mere speculation. That's all it is right now on both sides of this whole issue.)

I take the speculation from someone who's actually a part of the situation and has sat in on meetings over some random twitter feed or blog.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - oldtiger - 11-20-2011 05:08 PM

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN
No wonder our Thundering Herd brethren don't have anything good to say about the Mountaineers. That sounds like the WV AD would sell his mother's soul if it meant his decision looked wiser.

What he said may very well be true, but it sure came across as "selling out" his former conference brothers.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - mufanatehc - 11-20-2011 05:15 PM

(11-20-2011 05:08 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN
No wonder our Thundering Herd brethren don't have anything good to say about the Mountaineers. That sounds like the WV AD would sell his mother's soul if it meant his decision looked wiser.

What he said may very well be true, but it sure came across as "selling out" his former conference brothers.

to be honest, i don't know how much WVU actually cared about the newer teams in the BE. I think in their minds, the conference they had been apart of was severely wounded when VT, BC, and Miami left and finally died when Syracuse and Pitt bolted. the only original BE member left is Rutgers, and that's not a lot.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - GeminiCoog - 11-20-2011 05:16 PM

(11-20-2011 05:08 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  
(11-20-2011 05:06 PM)GeminiShamrock Wrote:  

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

I take the speculation from someone who's actually a part of the situation and has sat in on meetings over some random twitter feed or blog.

Not to nitpick or anything, but have you ever seen me post anything from Twitter or a blog on this board? If and when I post something newsworthy, I try to make sure it's an actual news article. (To your point: Yeah, Luck does have more credibility in that regard. But it also looks like he'd be willing to sell his soul if it meant he got to get a better parking space.)

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - NBPirate - 11-20-2011 05:16 PM

but............ they have a lot of TV sets............ folks, when it comes down to it people who watch these bowl games have a preference.... Obviously I'm not going to watch a BE team get blown out by an SEC power just like I'm not going to watch a Big Ten game EVER because they are so slow... the SEC/Big 12 will always dominate BCS viewing due to their name brand teams and style of play... the BE simply has neither, not good football teams

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - GeminiCoog - 11-20-2011 05:19 PM

(11-20-2011 05:16 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  but............ they have a lot of TV sets............ folks, when it comes down to it people who watch these bowl games have a preference.... Obviously I'm not going to watch a BE team get blown out by an SEC power just like I'm not going to watch a Big Ten game EVER because they are so slow... the SEC/Big 12 will always dominate BCS viewing due to their name brand teams and style of play... the BE simply has neither, not good football teams

No, they have good football teams. Just not good enough football teams. That could change in the near future though.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - cyc46 - 11-20-2011 07:44 PM

I doubt it. Post 2011 they are just another CUSA or MWC

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - GreenSteve - 11-20-2011 07:56 PM

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

AQ is going away... So, go to the Big East... It ain't your father's BE.

GS.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - SPECoog518 - 11-20-2011 08:01 PM

(11-20-2011 07:56 PM)GreenSteve Wrote:  

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

GS.

IMO, the Big East will thrive. The teams being added bring more to the table than those that departed.

BYU, Boise State, Air Force, Houston, NAVY, UCF, SMU

...bring more to the table than perpetually mediocre...

Syracuse, Pitt, and WV..

And its not even close. Those teams should have never been non-BCS in the first place.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - TulsaEye - 11-20-2011 09:22 PM

I think this sums it up pretty well. WHO CARES!!

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - Tallgrass - 11-20-2011 09:28 PM

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

In this day and age and given what is going on, I don't think it prudent for any fan of any school to make that statement.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - oldtiger - 11-20-2011 09:40 PM

(11-20-2011 09:28 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

In this day and age and given what is going on, I don't think it prudent for any fan of any school to make that statement.

I just don't agree.

There have been many programs that have changed conferences and done so in an honorable, civil manner. I'd be surprised if any of our current members that are changing conferences would make a statement like he made.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - oldtiger - 11-20-2011 09:46 PM

(11-20-2011 08:01 PM)SPECoog518 Wrote:  
(11-20-2011 07:56 PM)GreenSteve Wrote:  

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

GS.

IMO, the Big East will thrive. The teams being added bring more to the table than those that departed.

BYU, Boise State, Air Force, Houston, NAVY, UCF, SMU

...bring more to the table than perpetually mediocre...

Syracuse, Pitt, and WV..

And its not even close. Those teams should have never been non-BCS in the first place.

SPECoog518, You and I have had some "interesting" exchanges in the past and while it may not mean anything to you, I just wanted to offer congratulations on earning a BCS conference invitation. You guys got the programs that counted in great shape at exactly the right time and will reap the rewards for those efforts.

Well done and congratulations. Good luck in future years and I'm sure that you guys will do well in your new conference home.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - splitstud - 11-20-2011 10:06 PM

(11-20-2011 09:40 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(11-20-2011 09:28 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  

BE SERIOUSLY GOING DOWN

I just don't agree.

There have been many programs that have changed conferences and done so in an honorable, civil manner. I'd be surprised if any of our current members that are changing conferences would make a statement like he made.

100% correct. WVU, and to a lesser extent ATM and OU have not exactly covered themselves with glory in all of this. It's ugly, and there is no excuse for this type of behavior.

RE: Gazette-Mail: Bowls don't want BE - banker - 11-20-2011 11:24 PM

Got to keep in mind that wvu and the Big East are suing eachother. wvu's primary argument is that the Big East, through gross mismanagement, had destroyed itself to the point wvu had to leave for survival. Given that, what else would Oliver Luck say in the press?