CSNbbs
NKU to ASUN? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ASunbbs (/forum-341.html)
+---- Forum: Atlantic Sun Conference Talk (/forum-322.html)
+---- Thread: NKU to ASUN? (/thread-532709.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

NKU to ASUN? - NoDak - 11-18-2011 03:10 PM

Any word if Northern Kentucky will be joining the ASun. The OVC Presidents have turned down NKU's and N Alabama's inquiries. Supposedly, the OVC was concerned that NKU's large arena and lack of football would immediately make NKU a power in the OVC.

NKU is now talking with the Summit Leage and ASun.

So NKU and Lincoln Memorial to the ASun?

RE: NKU to ASUN? - MercerFan - 11-18-2011 11:22 PM

(11-18-2011 03:10 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Supposedly, the OVC was concerned that NKU's large arena and lack of football would immediately make NKU a power in the OVC.

Wait... does that make any sense? If they don't want a school because it might be too GOOD then they need to reevaluate their priorities.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - Buccaneerlover - 11-19-2011 03:46 PM

No to LMU. Maybe to NKU and tell them to find a travel partner.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - Mister Consistency - 11-19-2011 08:35 PM

(11-18-2011 03:10 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Supposedly, the OVC was concerned that NKU's large arena and lack of football would immediately make NKU a power in the OVC.

That doesn't make a lick of sense. A team is going to make them look bad (which they are, on the whole), so they're not going to let them into the conference?

Quote:NKU is now talking with the Summit Leage and ASun.

The Summit League can more easily reach into the Cincinnati area, so that's where NKU will likely end up.

Quote:So NKU and Lincoln Memorial to the ASun?

[Image: The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif]

We've already been the LMU route once; or at least, we tried, but nobody could figure out where Harrogate is, so that whole idea kinda went belly-up.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - NoDak - 11-20-2011 06:52 PM

(11-19-2011 03:46 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  No to LMU. Maybe to NKU and tell them to find a travel partner.

Bellarmine could very well be NKU's travel partner. Both want to move to DI.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - HatterFan - 11-21-2011 09:37 PM

Houston Baptist was once talked about in expansion, they are thankfully off the board and headed to the Southland:

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205336618&DB_OEM_ID=18400

RE: NKU to ASUN? - Mister Consistency - 11-22-2011 12:48 AM

(11-20-2011 06:52 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Bellarmine could very well be NKU's travel partner. Both want to move to DI.

I still don't see it. Campbell and Belmont both left because of travel costs, why on Earth would a school that's right on the Ohio river want to fly every team to Florida twice a year? It just doesn't add up.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - NoDak - 11-22-2011 07:36 PM

Bellarmine and NKU both desire a DI move.

With the OVC out of the picture, and the preferred destination the Horizon League not accepting new DI teams, the only DI options for NKU and Bellarmine are the Summit League or the ASun.

In the Summit League, Bellarmine and NKU would fly to Fargo and Sioux Falls.
In the ASun, Bellarmine and NKU fly to Florida.

One of the options is substantially cheaper.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - Mister Consistency - 11-26-2011 04:36 PM

(11-22-2011 07:36 PM)NoDak Wrote:  In the Summit League, Bellarmine and NKU would fly to Fargo and Sioux Falls.

I think I may have confused the Summit League with the Horizon League. Not the first time that has happened and probably not the last, although one is quite a bit better than the other in terms of overall quality AND travel schedule for teams based in Louisville and Cincinnati. I'll let you guess which one I'm thinking of. 01-wingedeagle03-banghead

The difference between the A-Sun and Summit League is pretty negligible on the whole, but it's also entirely possible that both schools might hold off on a D1 move for the short term in anticipation of something more favorable coming along, although NKU certainly has the facilities to get into the Horizon League, even if they would get clobbered.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - RVAparks - 12-01-2011 04:39 PM

Longwood Grad here, sorry if this has been discussed plenty before. But why not Longwood? Especially in comparison to NKU and Bellarmine.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - NoDak - 12-01-2011 05:30 PM

(12-01-2011 04:39 PM)RVAparks Wrote:  Longwood Grad here, sorry if this has been discussed plenty before. But why not Longwood? Especially in comparison to NKU and Bellarmine.
If the Atlantic Sun goes to 12, Longwood might make sense. But for ten members, Lipscomb is the school that really needs a travel partner:

FGSU- Stetson
UNF - Jacksonville
Mercer - Kennesaw St
USCU - ETSU
Lipscomb - NKU?

There had been talk that maybe Francis Marion would move up - which might be more ideal for SC-Upstate to partner with. That would open up ETSU to be Longwood's travel partner.

Kind of expect that Kennesaw St will move to the Big South so they have a football conference. That may also open up a spot for Longwood.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - NoDak - 12-01-2011 05:39 PM

Atlantic Sun evaluating NKU, had a site visit this past weekend

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/dec/01/college-sports-a-sun-in-evaluation-process-with/

RE: NKU to ASUN? - RVAparks - 12-01-2011 07:08 PM

But isn't Kennessaw State playing non-scholarship football (like Campbell), so I would think the Pioneer Conference would make sense (like Campbell).

I interned for the CAA for 4 years when I was in college and still speak with many of my contacts there. If Kennessaw was looking to go scholarship FCS and the CAA was looking to expand in the south then KSU would be on the short list with Coastal and Charleston (traveling partner for UNCW).

I know Charlotte has temporarily declined the CAA and that the CAA is also looking at Fordham, Stony Brook, and George Washington right now (among others)

RE: NKU to ASUN? - NoDak - 12-01-2011 07:58 PM

(12-01-2011 07:08 PM)RVAparks Wrote:  But isn't Kennessaw State playing non-scholarship football (like Campbell), so I would think the Pioneer Conference would make sense (like Campbell).

I interned for the CAA for 4 years when I was in college and still speak with many of my contacts there. If Kennessaw was looking to go scholarship FCS and the CAA was looking to expand in the south then KSU would be on the short list with Coastal and Charleston (traveling partner for UNCW).

I know Charlotte has temporarily declined the CAA and that the CAA is also looking at Fordham, Stony Brook, and George Washington right now (among others)

Kennesaw is planning for scholarship football around 2014.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/kennesaw-st-owls/2011/9/21/2439931/kennesaw-state-football-2014-news-update

As long as Georgia State is in the CAA, can't see another Atlanta metro team in the CAA (Ga State wouldn't want them.) If Ga State gets in CUSA, then Kennesaw St probably has a shot at the CAA.

Stony Brook is likely the odd-on favorite as the next CAA school (especially if Hofstra leaves).

RE: NKU to ASUN? - MercerFan - 12-02-2011 02:58 AM

I more I see the more I hope we get NKU!! I wouldn't mind Longwood either as I've said over the years. I think head-to-head NKU wins, though. Longwood would need to be 11th or 12th team IMO if both teams are ready to join.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - RVAparks - 12-02-2011 08:39 AM

Hofstra's AD and President is the one campaigning for Stony Brook, Fordham, GW, and Richmond.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - Buccaneerlover - 12-02-2011 11:54 AM

Guys,

I really don't expect Lipscomb to stay in the A-Sun much longer either. It's just silly that the OVC doesn't bring them in, especially if JSU bolts for some other pasture.
I'm suprised pro-footballers with Hofstra haven't really gotten the steam together to bring back football up there yet.
And no offense to you personally, but does Longwood even have the budget to make regular trips to Florida for travel?

RE: NKU to ASUN? - MercerFan - 12-02-2011 12:02 PM

(12-02-2011 11:54 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Guys,

I really don't expect Lipscomb to stay in the A-Sun much longer either. It's just silly that the OVC doesn't bring them in, especially if JSU bolts for some other pasture.
I'm suprised pro-footballers with Hofstra haven't really gotten the steam together to bring back football up there yet.
And no offense to you personally, but does Longwood even have the budget to make regular trips to Florida for travel?

Don't forget that Lipscomb and the rest of the A-Sun were kept in the dark with Belmont's midnight departure. It doesn't sound like the most inviting atmosphere. Location is the only plus as the OVC is regularly below the ASUN in overall strength.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - Buccaneerlover - 12-02-2011 12:42 PM

The OVC is very top heavy I agree. It's pretty much Murray State, Austin Peay and Morehead then the rest blow arse but with the way Lipscomb doesn't spend money it would allow them to reallocate money spent on travel towards recruiting. I think the longest trip for them in the OVC is EKU, which is only about four hours of driving hell through Kentucky from here.
I also see that football helmet in your avatar, and I don't know of anyone who builds a 6,000 seat football stadium for non-scholarship football. Just wondering how long it takes before the scholarships are added in and Mercer's looking for a new home.

RE: NKU to ASUN? - MercerFan - 12-02-2011 01:18 PM

If the longest drive is 4 hours that is pretty tempting, I agree. I also hope you're right about MU football!