CSNbbs
ACC going after Liberty Bowl - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+----- Thread: ACC going after Liberty Bowl (/thread-53106.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Maize - 05-11-2005 06:34 AM

Posted on Wed, May. 11, 2005

Liberty might become part of bowl collection

KEN TYSIAC

Raleigh Bureau

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla
- . ACC officials have discussed adding the Liberty Bowl to the conference's bowl partners for 2005.

The Liberty Bowl has an open slot against the top selection from Conference USA at 1 p.m. on Dec. 31 in Memphis, Tenn., and will be televised by ESPN. Liberty Bowl executive director Steve Ehrhart said Tuesday ACC schools could benefit by building recruiting ties in Tennessee.

ACC Commissioner John Swofford said after expanding to 12 teams, the conference hopes to increase its bowl partnerships by one or two when current contracts expire following 2005. The ACC has ties with the Bowl Championship Series, Gator, Peach, Meineke Car Care, Champs Sports and MPC Computers bowls.

Ehrhart said no deadline has been set for reaching an agreement for 2005.

<a href='http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/11615814.htm' target='_blank'>Bowl News</a>

- Tigers2B1 - 05-11-2005 10:32 AM

IF ---- and it remains an "if" - the ACC does align with the Liberty Bowl - I suspect it would make the Liberty that much more attractive to the Big East. And make Memphis that much more likely a candidate for a Big East position if and when BE expansion occurs. All IMHO -- of course - 03-wink

- Wilkie01 - 05-11-2005 01:26 PM

I agree. 04-cheers

- MHSCard - 05-11-2005 01:54 PM

How many bowls does the ACC need? There are only so many teams that will have 6 wins.

- TopCoog - 05-11-2005 02:12 PM

Tigers2B1...since memphis has never been a serious Big East candidate , is not now nor will be in the future I'm sure the Liberty will be fine with the ACC if thats the way they go.

- Wilkie01 - 05-11-2005 02:16 PM

MHSCard Wrote:How many bowls does the ACC need? There are only so many teams that will have 6 wins.
They want them all, but I agree they will be hard press to find 6 bowl eligible teams.

- TopCoog - 05-11-2005 02:18 PM

One thing we have pleanty of are bowls. There are more than enough for everyone. The big East will fill out 5 bowls from somewhere.

- Wilkie01 - 05-11-2005 02:56 PM

Yes, but you need to make a profit from them. 04-cheers

- TopCoog - 05-11-2005 04:09 PM

Wilkie...it might be that we make too much a deal about bowls for teams that finish from 3rd down in a league. Its always going to be a smaller bowl and frankly, an 8-3 or 7-4 teams is lucky to be playing somewhere in the post season. Its not that they are big national contenders. At that points its all just a fun game. Obviously, as you said you would like to not lose money.

- Wilkie01 - 05-11-2005 04:14 PM

Louisville lost money at most of the minor CUSA Bowls.

- SwamiEER - 05-11-2005 04:18 PM

This sucks. I was really hoping the Big East would get the Liberty Bowl.

- fsquid - 05-11-2005 04:26 PM

SwamiEER Wrote:This sucks. I was really hoping the Big East would get the Liberty Bowl.
Could of had it, but you wanted USF.

- CardsRChamps - 05-11-2005 05:13 PM

Could someone please explain why we want the Liberty Bowl????? Ummm no thanks.

- army56mike - 05-11-2005 05:17 PM

I agree with Tiger and Wilkie. If the ACC gets the Liberty Bowl, that makes Memphis a more attractive candidate for the Big East. I think that's great. They should be the 9th anyway.

An ACC vs. Big East Liberty Bowl would be fabulous. I think it would be a win/win situation. The Liberty Bowl would probably grow as well.

- Wilkie01 - 05-11-2005 05:25 PM

Good points Mike. 04-cheers

- army56mike - 05-11-2005 06:46 PM

Not to change the subject, but is the NYC Bowl a dead issue?
Didn't the Big East have a tie in with the Music City Bowl at one time?

- Murph1 - 05-11-2005 07:41 PM

Apparantely, the Big East isn't even an option for the Liberty Bowl. They have a poll on their site at <a href='http://www.libertybowl.org/' target='_blank'>http://www.libertybowl.org/</a> and the Big East isn't even listed as an option as to who C-USA should play against. 03-confused

- nflsucks - 05-11-2005 07:54 PM

Quote:Not to change the subject, but is the NYC Bowl a dead issue?
No, haven't heard any news on the Jets Stadium, but I assume it's still going through the political/legal barriers before any ground gets broken. Definitely not dead though.

Quote:Didn't the Big East have a tie in with the Music City Bowl at one time?
Yeah, I like to think they dropped us because we won every time we were in it, but in reality, I don't think we traveled well for it.

- Murph1 - 05-11-2005 07:58 PM

Army56Mike Wrote:Not to change the subject, but is the NYC Bowl a dead issue?
Didn't the Big East have a tie in with the Music City Bowl at one time?
Here's one for ya:

Joe 'Willie' Namath is pitching the West Side stadium.

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2056513' target='_blank'>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2056513</a>

- Tigers2B1 - 05-11-2005 08:09 PM

Army56Mike Wrote:I agree with Tiger and Wilkie. If the ACC gets the Liberty Bowl, that makes Memphis a more attractive candidate for the Big East. I think that's great. They should be the 9th anyway.

An ACC vs. Big East Liberty Bowl would be fabulous. I think it would be a win/win situation. The Liberty Bowl would probably grow as well.
And I'll add this for good measure - Jim Rout, the President of the Liberty Bowl, attended the University of Memphis. Not saying that Rout wouldn't make his decisions based solely on the business advantages offered to the Liberty Bowl ---- but that additional connection can't hurt the Tigers. I also doubt that its coincidence that the Liberty Bowl and the Memphis Tigers are both associated with CUSA - I would really be surprised if the Liberty Bowl didn't follow the Tigers where they happen to landd after the next realignment -