CSNbbs
Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Yankee staduim to host championship game? (/thread-523518.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Jackson1011 - 10-18-2011 04:54 PM

Once upon a time this would have worked, but NYC is a long way from several schools in the new league

Jackson

http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/big_east_wants_title_game_at_yankee_6UgCCq1O0DGeTWNS9jXicI

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - General Mike - 10-18-2011 05:00 PM

Recipe for disaster

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - SmallVoice - 10-18-2011 05:12 PM

Yeah, can you imagine the December crowd in the Bronx when Boise and USF meet for a championship game?

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - ivet - 10-18-2011 05:15 PM

neutral field.....

I think at this point it needs to be set somewhere in the Midwest

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - OrangeCrush22 - 10-18-2011 05:18 PM

If the league still had Syracuse, Pitt, and Miami it would work. If the championship ends up being SMU and Houston or something like that no one will show.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Frank the Tank - 10-18-2011 05:21 PM

Neutral field is a terrible idea. It works for the SEC and will almost certainly work for the Big Ten because almost their entire conference footprints are largely within a few hours' drive of the championship game site. The Pac-12, which generally has better attendance than the Big East schools, chose to use home-field sites because THEY were self-aware enough that they wouldn't be able to get good enough crowds to a neutral site. We all like to make fun of some of those ACC championship game crowds in Florida, but the Big East would likely be looking way worse by comparison if they tried playing a championship game in New York. Think about it: the size of the proposed Big East footprint is basically 3/4ths of the length of the ENTIRE United States. That's not the template for selling tickets to a game where the fans of the participating teams have notice of maybe a week or two that they're playing.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - adcorbett - 10-18-2011 05:24 PM

Assuming the current six teams stay, and you invite UCF, Houston, SMU, BSU, AFA, and Navy, there is simply no centralized location to have a permanent host. The absolute closest you can get is Pittsburgh (no team) or Cincinnatti.

This is why I personally think expanding to Texas is a bad idea. It's nothing againt Houston and SMU fans, but spreading the conference further out does not help. I totally understand and agree with the invites of BSU, AFA, and Navy. BSU is a no brainer, and AFA partners great with Navy, who is in the region. After that, I would have added both Temple and Nova* , and picked from either ECU or UCF for the last team. And as much as I like ECU, I would go with UCF on that one, because it fits the plan better. That gives you a 12/16 set up, allows you to make up for lost markets with the Syracuse and Pitt defections, and makes the conference more tight knit. And if Army ever changes their mind, you can add them, and pick up whomever was left out between ECU and UCF or even and have a 14/17 conference.

*I say add both because much like I envisioned with TCU and SMU together, the second one in the city would add more to the value of the BE by getting more attention out of Philly, than any other single other team we could add would get in their market. Plus, Philly would be the only potential place to hold host a CCG on a neutral site, since it is within a short driving distance of half of the conference. I would think with Philly having two teams, hosting a CCG (if it were at a neutral site), and hosting the Army/Navy game 4 out of 6 years with one or both (eventually) in the conference, along with having two of the five Big Five basktball teams in one conference, offer the best chance to gain that market, and will have a much better chance than we ever would have in either Dallas or Houston at this point, with TCU joining the Big XII and A&M joining the SEC.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - ivet - 10-18-2011 05:25 PM

I wasn't serious frank, plus weather would probably ruin any chances of it being approved

We'll see how the 2014 superbowl plays out, and thats in February, imagine a game in December without a dome.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - CollegeCard - 10-18-2011 05:26 PM

Frank and others have given reasons with good detail. It can also be said simply, this would be a horrible idea.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - adcorbett - 10-18-2011 05:27 PM

How about we really change things up, anbd play the championship game inside of Madison Square Garden? That's right, the Big East Championship game would be competed in a cage match? Arena football style.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Melky Cabrera - 10-18-2011 05:45 PM

(10-18-2011 05:24 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  Assuming the current six teams stay, and you invite UCF, Houston, SMU, BSU, AFA, and Navy, there is simply no centralized location to have a permanent host. The absolute closest you can get is Pittsburgh (no team) or Cincinnatti.

This is why I personally think expanding to Texas is a bad idea. It's nothing againt Houston and SMU fans, but spreading the conference further out does not help. I totally understand and agree with the invites of BSU, AFA, and Navy. BSU is a no brainer, and AFA partners great with Navy, who is in the region. After that, I would have added both Temple and Nova* , and picked from either ECU or UCF for the last team. And as much as I like ECU, I would go with UCF on that one, because it fits the plan better. That gives you a 12/16 set up, allows you to make up for lost markets with the Syracuse and Pitt defections, and makes the conference more tight knit. And if Army ever changes their mind, you can add them, and pick up whomever was left out between ECU and UCF or even and have a 14/17 conference.

*I say add both because much like I envisioned with TCU and SMU together, the second one in the city would add more to the value of the BE by getting more attention out of Philly, than any other single other team we could add would get in their market. Plus, Philly would be the only potential place to hold host a CCG on a neutral site, since it is within a short driving distance of half of the conference. I would think with Philly having two teams, hosting a CCG (if it were at a neutral site), and hosting the Army/Navy game 4 out of 6 years with one or both (eventually) in the conference, along with having two of the five Big Five basktball teams in one conference, offer the best chance to gain that market, and will have a much better chance than we ever would have in either Dallas or Houston at this point, with TCU joining the Big XII and A&M joining the SEC.

The voice of reason. 04-bow 04-rock

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - OrangeXtreme - 10-18-2011 06:09 PM

(10-18-2011 05:25 PM)ivet Wrote:  I wasn't serious frank, plus weather would probably ruin any chances of it being approved

We'll see how the 2014 superbowl plays out, and thats in February, imagine a game in December without a dome.

You mean like the Pinstripe Bowl?

Weather in the Bronx won't be a problem in early December.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Bull - 10-18-2011 06:34 PM

Just rotate Tampa and Orlando. Between the Knights and Bulls fans, and all the northerners who ought to love a December trip to Florida, the game would always be very well attended! Beaches, bikinis, theme parks...

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - UConn-SMU - 10-18-2011 06:34 PM

When Tom Brady met Robert Kraft for the first time at the Patriots summer training camp in 2000, he told Kraft, "You won't regret drafting me".

SMU and Houston will say the same thing to the Big East; "You won't regret inviting us".

Both schools have Top 25 potential - Houston is already in the Top 25 and SMU is #29. And neither school has reached anywhere near their potential yet.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - HtownOrange - 10-18-2011 06:36 PM

There is one other plus for a Big East CG in NYC, it is NYC during the holiday season. Guys, if you can't talk your wives, girlfriends, or whatever into a trip to NYC during the holidays, we may have to revoke your Man Cards. Otherwise, the idea basically sucks.

With this line-up, I prefer the game be held at the home field of the team with the best record, using tie-breakers as necessary. Though, playing on the Boise St. Blue Field should be permanently exempted from any use - just my opinion

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Cooglius Caeser - 10-18-2011 06:37 PM

Just have the game in Washington D.C. and get on with it. Maybe Philadelphia.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - OrangeCrush22 - 10-18-2011 07:53 PM

(10-18-2011 06:34 PM)Bull Wrote:  Just rotate Tampa and Orlando. Between the Knights and Bulls fans, and all the northerners who ought to love a December trip to Florida, the game would always be very well attended! Beaches, bikinis, theme parks...

I hate the South. I'd rather watch a football game in a blizzard than sweat my ass off in the South.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Cooglius Caeser - 10-18-2011 08:02 PM

I live in the south and I agree. Football is a cold weather sport.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Brahman - 10-18-2011 08:05 PM

(10-18-2011 07:53 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
(10-18-2011 06:34 PM)Bull Wrote:  Just rotate Tampa and Orlando. Between the Knights and Bulls fans, and all the northerners who ought to love a December trip to Florida, the game would always be very well attended! Beaches, bikinis, theme parks...

I hate the South. I'd rather watch a football game in a blizzard than sweat my ass off in the South.

Just like I hate the miserable North.

RE: Yankee staduim to host championship game? - Slypenny - 10-18-2011 08:13 PM

any thought of a championship game for the BE should go to team with the best record or rotate between divisions. Hosting at one spot is a recipe for disaster with a conference spread all over the country. Not enough fans will travel and if they do it will cause bowl travel to suffer. Let the highest rated team host and that should fill up most if not all of the stadium.