CSNbbs
Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) (/thread-481635.html)

Pages: 1 2

Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - Jackson1011 - 02-15-2011 11:08 PM

Sounds to me like the WVU may be getting out of the ECU series if Nova moves up...the Marshall game may be dead

Jacksn

Tuesday February 15, 2011
by Jack Bogaczyk
Daily Mail Sports Editor
Charleston Daily Mail

West Virginia's football scheduling situation isn't much different right now than its 2011 head coaching setup.

Things are "in waiting."

The schedules that coach-in-waiting Dana Holgorsen will face starting in 2012 are pretty much set for five seasons (through 2016). And even when TCU joins the Big East Conference in 2012, the Mountaineers' scheduling philosophy remains the same.

"The biggest thing is our goals haven't changed," said Deputy Athletic Director Mike Parsons, the point man on scheduling at WVU. "We still want to get to seven home games for financial reasons, and we still want two non-conference games with teams from BCS leagues, preferably one home, one away."

That jibes with first-year Athletic Director Oliver Luck's stated desire to play a schedule that will allow the Mountaineers to legitimately compete for a national championship ... even when the Big East is as down as it was in 2010.

Still, Parsons said Monday there are "no guarantees" because the Big East staff and football school athletic directors have not yet come forth with the concrete plan for working the Horned Frogs into what will be an eight-game conference schedule.

The Big East could just take the current schedules, with a 4-3 breakdown, and add TCU to make it four home, four road dates. That would have WVU going to Fort Worth in the Frogs' debut season, as well as trips to Connecticut, Pitt and Louisville, with home games against the same four that visited WVU this past season.

Or, the conference could completely start over with a different setup. Even when that's done, it doesn't figure in a potential 10th Big East football member that the league is open to considering.

Another unanswered question: Parsons said that should a 10th football school be admitted, still undecided is whether teams would get eight or nine league games (although it would seem likely the latter).

That could change WVU's master plan again. Nine league games, plus two BCS level foes (neighboring Maryland, preferably for the Mountaineers, would be one), would leave West Virginia with only one date to fill each year.

Whatever happens when TCU comes aboard, Parsons concedes it will be more difficult for West Virginia to get seven home dates each season.

If WVU had four home conference dates and split two BCS-level non-league games home and away, that leaves two games - and they'd both have to be in Morgantown every year for West Virginia to get to seven at Mountaineer Field.

To get to seven this season, West Virginia is paying Bowling Green $775,000 for a no-return date on Oct. 1. That's the most WVU has paid for a "buy" game in history, topping the $740,000 that UNLV landed last season.

And before we go further with all of this, what a lot of readers probably are wondering has become a very short subject:

Are WVU and Marshall discussing extending their Coal Bowl series beyond 2012? Nothing is happening there at this point. Nor does it figure to happen soon.

Parsons said WVU has not talked to any teams on its future schedules about potential changes in series due to the TCU entrance or even a 10th Big East team. But he said a six-game, home-and-home series like West Virginia has with East Carolina (2013-18) is "going to be harder to do."

One advantage to WVU will be that the increase in the number of conference dates will help keep annual guarantee payments under control.

And while playing a Football Championship Subdivision team annually would be one way for WVU to get another sure home date, Parsons said the Mountaineers are "not obligating to an FCS every year. While that may be one way we'd have to attract one less game, we won't necessarily focus that way."

WVU has four FCS games scheduled - Norfolk State (2011), William & Mary (2013), Towson (2014) and Liberty (2015).

There may be more neutral site dates in future seasons, like the BYU game scheduled through the NFL's Redskins at FedEx Field in September 2016.

That will bring West Virginia a $2.2 million guarantee. That takes care of replacing the revenue from a typical Mountaineer Field home game - about $2 million, Parsons said - but it isn't going to be a perennial solution.

Barring changes (and the Big East creating a nine-game league schedule with a 10th member), WVU needs only two dates through 2016. Those are home games in 2012 (likely an FCS foe) and 2016.

The current 2014 schedule is a 6-6 split, however, with non-league games at Maryland and ECU, and home against Michigan State and Towson.

Such a situation "may mean juggling an ECU, how the series is split up," Parsons said.

Whatever happens with TCU's insertion into an upgraded Big East schedule and beyond, WVU's future scheduling philosophy brings another area of intrigue besides Holgorsen's airy offense to the Mountaineers down the road.

Link: http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201102141405

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - The Brown Bull - 02-15-2011 11:32 PM

I think AD Luck made it pretty clear.....whether the league goes to 10 or 12.....more than likely we are going to see a 9 game conference schedule and when that happens.....it is going to be a big clusterf@#k for a few seasons.....juggling what has already been booked. Whether that means kicking some games down the road a bit or buying out of series.

I seriously doubt UWV would be able to buy out of a six game series with ECU. May not be able to play the FCS schools for a while or not have 7 homes games. Actually, if we all have to play a 9 game conference schedule.....odds are....the years with 5 conference road games and 4 home games.....you are NOT going to be playing 7 home games. You would essentially have to buy 2 games. UF can do that every year but I doubt all the BE schools could do it.

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - MichaelSavage - 02-16-2011 08:08 AM

Ending the ECU & Marshall series' would be another big feather in Luck's cap.

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - tcufrog86 - 02-16-2011 08:09 AM

Does the state not mandate the Marshall series?

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - bitcruncher - 02-16-2011 09:14 AM

(02-15-2011 11:32 PM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  I seriously doubt UWV would be able to buy out of a six game series with ECU.
For all you people who seem to be very dense...

It's WVU!!! It isn't UWV, and any other acronym that ISN'T spelled WVU...
03-banghead

Now onto my next point...

If WVU needs home games, we'd merely stretch the series out, with ECU away games replacing a road game we'd normally play with someone else, until the series is completed. I don't see this as a major sticking point. WVU and ECU have a good relationship and will work something out, if needed...

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - Ring of Black - 02-16-2011 09:31 AM

OK Bit we heard you. It's VWU. We get it.

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - bitcruncher - 02-16-2011 10:06 AM

(02-16-2011 09:31 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  OK Bit we heard you. It's VWU. We get it.
You're asking for it. I'll slap you with a salami... 03-lmfao

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - Jackson1011 - 02-16-2011 11:05 AM

(02-16-2011 08:09 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  Does the state not mandate the Marshall series?

No...the previous governor did but he as moved on to the Senate

Jackson

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - The Brown Bull - 02-16-2011 11:15 AM

(02-16-2011 10:06 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(02-16-2011 09:31 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  OK Bit we heard you. It's VWU. We get it.

My bad.....didn't notice that before I posted it. Typically just spell it all out.

So it's Virginia West University not the University of Virginia West. 02-13-banana

Just messin with you.....besides the 3-3 record.....USF fans have to try and help make USF v WVU a legit rivalry......in football.....we have given up on basketball. 04-cheers

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - bitcruncher - 02-16-2011 11:35 AM

Sorry to inform you, but the series takes a 4-3 Mountaineer lead this fall... 05-mafia

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - Capital Pirate - 02-16-2011 12:21 PM

(02-16-2011 09:14 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  If WVU needs home games, we'd merely stretch the series out, with ECU away games replacing a road game we'd normally play with someone else, until the series is completed. I don't see this as a major sticking point. WVU and ECU have a good relationship and will work something out, if needed...

Agree 100% on all points.....04-cheers

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - CatsClaw - 02-16-2011 01:11 PM

If Cincinnati has a similar scheduling philosophy the series against the Miami Redhawks becomes dicey.

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - lastchance82 - 02-16-2011 01:37 PM

I fear Rutgers' scheduling philosophy will be to keep the Norfolk States and Tulanes and drop the FBS AQ teams.

(02-16-2011 11:35 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Sorry to inform you, but the series takes a 4-3 Mountaineer lead this fall... 05-mafia
I wish we had 3 wins against WVU. 03-banghead

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - CardinalSpirit - 02-16-2011 01:47 PM

I won't comment on whether or not WVU should play Marshall. But I think it might be in Louisville's long-term interests to do it.

It gets another Kentucky team on the radar screen of people in northeastern Kentucky because the Huntington TV market is much more about Marshall than it is about WVU. Some Kentuckians in that area root for Marshall, but a lot - probably the majority - just don't care. Given the choice of a high-profile regional game between a nearby WV school and a Kentucky school they don't give much thought to, they might actually get interested in UofL football.

No, Marshall is not (and never will be) a BCS program. But they've fielded some pretty high-quality teams and have the potential to do so in the future. There's no shame in having them appear regularly on the schedule - if not annually, then maybe every other year.

Besides, UofL has no political bone to pick with Marshall since we're not vying with them for attention in the state legislature.

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - bitcruncher - 02-16-2011 05:48 PM

(02-16-2011 01:37 PM)lastchance82 Wrote:  
(02-16-2011 11:35 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Sorry to inform you, but the series takes a 4-3 Mountaineer lead this fall... 05-mafia
I wish we had 3 wins against WVU. 03-banghead
You mean you wish you had 3 RECENT wins against the Mountaineers? Rutgers actually has 4 wins against WVU. The series record is 34-4-2 in WVU's favor...

But Rutgers last win against the Mountaineers was a 17-12 win @Rutgers on September 10, 1994. So I'm sure it seems like it's been forever. BTW, the Scarlet Knights have NEVER won in Morgantown, and have only 2 wins against WVU as a member of The BEast...

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - Chappy - 02-16-2011 07:23 PM

Has the WVU-ECU series officially been extended? I read there was some sort of tentative agreement, but nothing formalized yet.

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - bitcruncher - 02-16-2011 08:25 PM

WVU has ECU on the schedule from 2013-2018...

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - brista21 - 02-17-2011 07:55 AM

(02-16-2011 08:08 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  Ending the ECU & Marshall series' would be another big feather in Luck's cap.

I disagree on the ECU part, since its a real tradition for both schools. Marshall on the other hand I agree with you wholeheartedly its just a forced contrived mess.

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - MichaelSavage - 02-17-2011 08:12 AM

The ECU game was worth keeping when WVU had 5 OOC slots to fill. It was good for alumni living in the Carolinas. But with now 4 and possibly only 3 OOC slots in the future these games are at a premium. If a cut has to be made ECU is the sensible series to ditch.

RE: Article on WVU football scheduling (ECU fans may be interested) - goodknightfl - 02-17-2011 08:25 AM

(02-16-2011 10:06 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

A mountaineer by any other name....... 04-jawdrop Likely still needs a bath. 03-drunk

No Bloomin roses here.