CSNbbs
2011 Atlantic Sun Basketball Tournament - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ASunbbs (/forum-341.html)
+---- Forum: Atlantic Sun Conference Talk (/forum-322.html)
+---- Thread: 2011 Atlantic Sun Basketball Tournament (/thread-481214.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

2011 Atlantic Sun Basketball Tournament - MercerFan - 02-13-2011 04:43 AM

2011 ATLANTIC SUN TOURNAMENT FIELD:
-----------------------------------------------------------
QUARTERFINALS

#1 BELMONT def. #8 Kennesaw State72-57, FINAL

#2 ETSU def. #7 Campbell54-53, FINAL

#6 NORTH FLORIDA def. #3 Jacksonville68-64, FINAL

#5 MERCER def. #4 Lipscomb73-63, FINAL

SEMIFINALS

#1 BELMONT def. #5 Mercer80-72, FINAL

#6 NORTH FLORIDA def. #2 ETSU59-55, FINAL

FINALS

#1 BELMONT def. #6 North Florida87-46, FINAL

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - Courtside - 02-15-2011 11:46 PM

What is the staus of Jeff Smith?

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - MercerFan - 02-16-2011 12:26 AM

(02-15-2011 11:46 PM)Courtside Wrote:  What is the staus of Jeff Smith?

They had said he had surgery along with Brandon Moore. So to me that would indicate 0% chance of any more college basketball. I don't believe they officially said it's for the year, but knees are just not something that heal quickly.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - Courtside - 02-16-2011 08:33 AM

(02-16-2011 12:26 AM)MercerFan Wrote:  
(02-15-2011 11:46 PM)Courtside Wrote:  What is the staus of Jeff Smith?

They had said he had surgery along with Brandon Moore. So to me that would indicate 0% chance of any more college basketball. I don't believe they officially said it's for the year, but knees are just not something that heal quickly.

Thanks, really tough deal, especially senior year.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - MercerFan - 02-22-2011 05:40 AM

Stetson cannot win for Waugh against FGCU. Right after the news went public that Derek Waugh would be out as head coach. Sad for them as I wanted to see Stetson/Waugh in the tournament one more time (rolled up piece of paper and all --- what is that he always rolls up??). Now it will take a near miracle for that to happen.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - Stetson_1883 - 02-22-2011 07:45 PM

(rolled up piece of paper and all --- what is that he always rolls up??).

It's called a blunt 03-wink

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - DadofTwins - 02-23-2011 02:41 PM

Clinching updates:

NOTE: Updated to correct an error HatterFan found in the original post.

North Florida is in, and will be seeded either 6 or 7.

Campbell hasn't clinched yet, but is VERY close (see below).

Kennesaw isn't as close to clinching a spot as Campbell, but a lot would have to go wrong to keep them out.

Lipscomb and Mercer will play in the 4-5 game. All that's still in doubt there is jersey color.

Stetson can only make the tournament with 2 wins (vs. UNF & JAX) + at least 3 losses by Campbell and Kennesaw this weekend. 1 win by either CAM or KSU means Stetson is at best the 8 seed. 0 wins makes them the 7. 2 or more wins and Stetson is out no matter what the Hatters do against JU & UNF. One Stetson loss puts both Campbell and KSU in.

There are two ways Campbell can miss the tournament. If Kennesaw wins once, Stetson wins twice, and Campbell loses twice, KSU and Stetson are both 7-13 and Campbell is 6-14. Campbell is out.

The other way for is for Stetson to get in and take the 7th spot (2 Stetson wins + 2 KSU losses + 2 Campbell losses), and then end up in a 3-way tie for 8th with Kennesaw and FGCU. In that scenario, KSU gets the spot because they are 3-1 against teams in the tie. That would require FGCU to win EXACTLY one game out of three against JAX, UNF, & USCU.

(And according to an e-mail from the conference office last year, ineligible teams are not removed from the standings until all ties are broken.)

As for Kennesaw, they miss the tournament with 2 losses provided Stetson wins twice and Campbell wins at least once. Either that, or FGCU avoids the 3-way tie scenario described above.

So Campbell gets in with either:

1 Win OR 1 Stetson Loss OR 2 KSU losses + (2 FGCU Wins OR 3 FGCU Losses)

Kennesaw gets in with either:

1 Win OR 1 Stetson loss OR (2 Campbell losses + 1 FGCU win + 2 FGCU losses)

Stetson gets in with:

2 wins + at least 3 losses by Campbell & KSU

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - MercerFan - 02-23-2011 05:59 PM

Good info DadofTwins.... I updated the post with your news. Looks like poor Stetson is all but done.
Lipscomb is going to be a tough opponent for Mercer, but home court advantage should be a good boost to the team. Will be an interesting game to see. Plus they play in the regular season finale, so it will be back-to-back games in Macon. What are your thoughts on the situation?

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - DadofTwins - 02-23-2011 09:47 PM

(02-23-2011 05:59 PM)MercerFan Wrote:  Good info DadofTwins.... I updated the post with your news. Looks like poor Stetson is all but done.
Lipscomb is going to be a tough opponent for Mercer, but home court advantage should be a good boost to the team. Will be an interesting game to see. Plus they play in the regular season finale, so it will be back-to-back games in Macon. What are your thoughts on the situation?

If Mercer were full strength, I'd probably make them a favorite against Lipscomb. But without Brandon Moore helping contain and/or foul Hodzic, and without Jeff Smith to match up with Slater, Lipscomb may prove to be too much. That said, y'all are really good at defending 3's, and Lipscomb usually needs Burgeson making shots to open up the middle of the floor.

Y'all also have some really good shooters in Mills and the Halls (and if you are going to make a deep tournament run, you'll need both Halls more involved in the offense). You're also really good at forcing turnovers, something Lipscomb is vulnerable to when a team is willing to run with them. Combine that with a (likely) 7-3 home record in conference by the time the weekend is out and there's definitely a formula for a Mercer win in the tournament quarterfinals.

Ken Pomeroy is calling the regular season finale a 50-50 game. I think it's probably closer to 65% in Lipscomb's favor given Mercer's injuries. But that said, in the tournament I like your chances, maybe not to go all the way, but to make it really hard on the team that eventually puts you out.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - HatterFan - 02-23-2011 11:14 PM

Stetson needs 2 wins and EITHER Campbell or KSU to lose twice, but not necessarily both. That would leave Stetson 7-13 and the other 6-12. Campbell won't lose twice with Upstate at home Saturday, KSU could definitely lose twice at home to Belmont and Lipscomb. That would leave the Hatters needing to win at home against UNF and JU, neither is all that likely but they haven't beaten the Dolphins in 3 years or so.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - DadofTwins - 02-24-2011 11:46 AM

(02-23-2011 11:14 PM)HatterFan Wrote:  Stetson needs 2 wins and EITHER Campbell or KSU to lose twice, but not necessarily both. That would leave Stetson 7-13 and the other 6-12. Campbell won't lose twice with Upstate at home Saturday, KSU could definitely lose twice at home to Belmont and Lipscomb. That would leave the Hatters needing to win at home against UNF and JU, neither is all that likely but they haven't beaten the Dolphins in 3 years or so.

HatterFan is correct. If Stetson wins twice, they only need KSU or Campbell to lose twice. Not and.

My mistake. Nice catch.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - HatterFan - 02-25-2011 01:07 AM

Well Stetson lost to UNF so that's that. Another great basketball season. Whatever.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - DadofTwins - 02-25-2011 01:46 PM

Campbell hasn't clinched the 7 seed yet, but according to Ken Pomeroy the chances of KSU passing them is about 1 in 20.

Stetson controls the tiebreakers with Upstate, so they won't finish last no matter what happens. So there's that.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - camelfan - 02-26-2011 06:48 PM

We are in but we should not be. It would be better for us if we saved the school the cost of going to the tournament and stayed at home. We are the worst team in the conference hands down.

We will get to play Belmont or ETSU and lose by 40 or 20. I have watched Campbell teams win fewer games with better effort. We did not have a quality conference win all year. And the effort and attitude of the players is pathetic. Hope we lose by 50 and maybe we can clean house before next year.

We really stunk up our exit from the A Sun.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - HatterFan - 02-26-2011 11:36 PM

Oddly, the FGCU at USC Upstate makeup game on Monday will decide the 7 and 8 seeds...if FGCU wins, it joins a 4-way tie for seventh with Campbell, KSU and Stetson. Kennesaw State went 5-1 against those 3, making them the 7 seed and Campbell (3-3) the 8 seed. Were FGCU tournament-eligible, they could clinch the 8 seed with a win, but alas they are not.

However, if Upstate wins, then it's just a 3-way tie between the Camels, Owls and Hatters in which Campbell and KSU both went 3-1. Next tiebreaker is to compare results against 1st place, then 2nd place, etc. That tiebreaker favors Campbell, which beat Mercer once while KSU did not.

Either way it's for the right to get splattered by Belmont or ETSU.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - boomdrizzle - 02-27-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:Were FGCU tournament-eligible, they could clinch the 8 seed with a win, but alas they are not.

*sigh* We'll be irrelevantly relevant next year.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament - MercerFan - 02-27-2011 04:28 AM

As the tournament approaches here's what I found....ETSU's nice youtube video of last years title game. The Bear's team looked so much different. This year's team is doing so well in their current form, that I forget how less than a year ago James Florence, Daniel Emerson, and EJ Kusyner were lighting it up for MU. ETSU on the other hand looks similar, and a reminder of what they can do in the tourney:

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Basketball Tournament - MercerFan - 03-01-2011 01:37 AM

I'm feeling some more Mercer magic.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Basketball Tournament - MercerFan - 03-02-2011 06:36 PM

Belmont advances in first game of the tournament. Owls led early, but Belmont was too much to overcome.

RE: 2011 Atlantic Sun Basketball Tournament - ETSUfan1 - 03-02-2011 11:21 PM

um....wow. That was close.