CSNbbs
Alabama State moving up? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+----- Forum: Sun Belt Smack Talk (/forum-309.html)
+----- Thread: Alabama State moving up? (/thread-470914.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Alabama State moving up? - trojanbrutha - 10-08-2011 11:45 AM

(12-21-2010 04:11 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  FWIW, a long-time athletic administrator told me years ago that Jackson State was the only SWAC school that could move to (then) I-A because none of the others were apparently even aware the NCAA had a rule book.

That would explain over 600 NCAA violations by "Cole-blooded" football a few years ago...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2008-05-07-alabama-state-violations_N.htm

RE: Alabama State moving up? - BamaState1 - 10-08-2011 11:46 AM

(10-08-2011 11:35 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 11:22 AM)BamaState1 Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 10:32 AM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 06:18 AM)BamaState1 Wrote:  Not true. ASU is definitely known outside of Alabama based on the experience I had traveling with ASU. Secondly, Alabama State has not had any dicussion to move to the FBS but ASU is in a position where they can do so. Moving to the Sun Belt wouldn't be that difficult. The Sun Belt is smallest of FBS conferences and a lot of the schools in this conference are not known unless you stay in these areas. ASU has a 8,000 seat basketball arena and now a new 30,000 seat football stadium on the way. ASU doesn't use old hotels for students. I have no idea where u got that from. Alabama State is a growing institution and with the growth of the University a move to FBS is very possible. Troy did it even though I have no idea seeing there are one of the smallest FBS schools around with only around 7,000 students on there campus.

The Sun Belt would NEVER vote you in to our membership. keep dreaming.

You are putting that up like the Sun Belt is a tough conference. You have won all those conference titles but when u play teams like Clemson u get destroyed like u did this year. And then you people down there in Troy really think you can compete in the Big East!? REALLY? Play teams like Alabama on a week to week basis and get your basketball program up then those major conference will look at Troy. No offense to Troy because I was once a student there but I know all about Troy so don't go there like Troy is such a superior program you know that is not true.

No offense buddy but I'm assuming you got kicked out of Troy because of bad grades and went to ASU. That is the only reason anyone would ever do something crazy like that. But I went to an HBCU before and I'll say Troy's second team would dominate the SWAC. I've seen team punt from the 20 yard line in that conference before.

Clemson is an undefeated national title contender who has already beat the best two teams in the ACC. Troy hanging within ten points for three quarters is actually admirable given they had more five star recruits than any team in the nation this summer. And we are building our basketball team up........The soon to be fourth largest and best looking facility in the state is 30% complete.

Actually I have a 3.0 GPA when I left Troy and still keeping that here at ASU. also, Troy is hanging with some of those schools but just because u hang with a school doesn't mean you are winning the games. lol. Alabama State hung with Eastern Michigan this year. Only falling by 7 points but a win ss a win. MAC conference team compared to a Sun Belt team. Troy is the fourth largest because they have about 8 campuses in the state and they combine all those campuses to make it seem as one university. hahaha! Right or wrong? Troy is a pretty good school but based on my experiences my professors at ASU have taught me more than I ever was taught at Troy. I have been to China, NYC, Detroit. places I thought I never go because of Alabama State. When I went to Troy the only place I went was Dothan. SERIOUSLY. I have nothing against Troy but the university is not all it is made out to be.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 12:21 PM

BamaState1, anything negative you have to say about Troy's play on the field goes double for your team. Troy smoked your Hornets by an embarressing score the last time yall tried to hang with us. You are not on our level.

Alabama State doesn't belong in FBS football. sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 12:37 PM

Bama State was forced by the NCAA to offer minority scholarships to white students because of racist policies against them in admittance policies.

Quote:•Diversity Scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate white students are a special program of Alabama State University and Alabama A&M University. The goal is to boost enrollment of those underrepresented in the school: whites and Native Americans, specifically at ASU and “Caucasians” at Alabama A&M. In fact as the result of a discrimination case, a federal court judge in 1995 commanded both ASU and Alabama A&M University to vigorously diversify.1 The court case raised scrutiny over the fact that both schools had almost exclusive black student bodies and had been remiss in recruiting “other-race” students, especially whites. Since then large chunks of money have been earmarked each year to attract white students. Initially GPA requirements were set at 2.0, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education, so low as to offend black students required to comply with a GPA minimum of 2.7. Since then, in response to threats of legal repercussions, the universities have raised GPA reqs for whites. Scholarships may cover full or partial tuition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tompkins_v._Alabama_State_University
another reason why Alabama State doesn't belong in our Conference. racism is wrong, no matter who is being targetted.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - BamaState1 - 10-08-2011 12:39 PM

(10-08-2011 12:21 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  BamaState1, anything negative you have to say about Troy's play on the field goes double for your team. Troy smoked your Hornets by an embarressing score the last time yall tried to hang with us. You are not on our level.

Alabama State doesn't belong in FBS football. sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes.

Your opinion is not the truth. People said Troy didn't belong in FBS too. People are still not sold that Troy deserves to move up due to the fact that when they play bigger schools they lose. They rarely win those games. Last victory was against OK State I think years ago. Several years ago, Troy was just getting started in FBS. You should have more respect for other schools trying to make the same move Troy did. Even though ASU is currently playing at Cramton Bowl Alabama State is actually selling more tickets then Troy. ASU ticket prices are actually higher than Troy. ASU is more than capable of making a move in the future. Troy give away a lot of there tickets to the local hospital and other places in that area. Also, Bama State has the second biggest rivalry with Alabama A&M in the state behind the Iron Bowl even though we have the Troy/UAB rivalry which numbers doesn't come close to ASU/A&M & the Iron Bowl. ASU is putting butts in seats. If they were considering moving to FBS they would definitely have that to there advantage. With over 150 million dollars of upgrades it can happen. However, I honestly believe ASU is better off staying in the SWAC because they have so much tradition with that conference that I don't want them to lose the tradition they have built at that University. If conferences in the FBS were looking at academics ASU would be in good shape. ASU has one of the top forensics programs in the state. They also have 5 doctoral programs compared to Troy which only has 1. If Alabama State truly wanted to move there football program to FBS then it could happen. That's all I'm saying.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 12:46 PM

(10-08-2011 12:39 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  If Alabama State truly wanted to move there football program to FBS then it could happen. That's all I'm saying.

No, it couldn't just happen BamaState1. In order to move up to the FBS level you MUST have a Conference to move in to. the Sun Belt would not extend and invitation for several reasons...but if for no other reason, because Troy and South Alabama would block it. There is no other Conference that would even consider your team, so the chance of moving up is nill.

your athletics are good at the level you play at now, but that doesn't mean they would see that success at our level. a QB (a good one at that) who couldn't win the starting job at Troy transfered to Bama State and took the starting job immediately and has been an all-star level competitor in the SWAC. that's because the competition is weaker. don't confuse competition like A&M, Tuskegee, and Jackson State with that of FBS level competition. it's a whole different game.

I don't blame you for being proud of your team, I respect that. But don't come to our board claiming you would be able to come in and be good, because you wouldn't. But, since Bama State won't be moving up, it won't matter what we say here.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 12:52 PM

(10-08-2011 12:39 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  People are still not sold that Troy deserves to move up due to the fact that when they play bigger schools they lose.

this part of your post is just plain laughable. I've never met or heard from any of the folks you are refering to.

I want it known that I pull for Alabama State, despite my aggressive counters to your posts BamaState1. I live in the area and keep up with the team. I just don't appreciate you coming on here trying to tell us that your program belongs with all of ours and it's simply a matter of ASU "deciding to move up" to make it happen.

your University has several things that will keep it out of FBS. It isn't just about the football team. Bama State is a controversial school/athletics department with many problems that will make it undesireable. You have some outstanding aspects to the school and that makes it a great choice for many kids, but it is not a great choice for an FBS Conference looking to expand.

I'd rather have Jacksonville State, and I don't want them either.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - chiefsfan - 10-08-2011 12:57 PM

But...But...They hung with Eastern Michigan for a little bit

I didnt know SWAC schools had fans to smack talk. I thought those were all band parents

RE: Alabama State moving up? - TrojanCampaign - 10-08-2011 01:00 PM

(10-08-2011 12:39 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 12:21 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  BamaState1, anything negative you have to say about Troy's play on the field goes double for your team. Troy smoked your Hornets by an embarressing score the last time yall tried to hang with us. You are not on our level.

Your opinion is not the truth. People said Troy didn't belong in FBS too. People are still not sold that Troy deserves to move up due to the fact that when they play bigger schools they lose. They rarely win those games. Last victory was against OK State I think years ago. Several years ago, Troy was just getting started in FBS. You should have more respect for other schools trying to make the same move Troy did. Even though ASU is currently playing at Cramton Bowl Alabama State is actually selling more tickets then Troy. ASU ticket prices are actually higher than Troy. ASU is more than capable of making a move in the future. Troy give away a lot of there tickets to the local hospital and other places in that area. Also, Bama State has the second biggest rivalry with Alabama A&M in the state behind the Iron Bowl even though we have the Troy/UAB rivalry which numbers doesn't come close to ASU/A&M & the Iron Bowl. ASU is putting butts in seats. If they were considering moving to FBS they would definitely have that to there advantage. With over 150 million dollars of upgrades it can happen. However, I honestly believe ASU is better off staying in the SWAC because they have so much tradition with that conference that I don't want them to lose the tradition they have built at that University. If conferences in the FBS were looking at academics ASU would be in good shape. ASU has one of the top forensics programs in the state. They also have 5 doctoral programs compared to Troy which only has 1. If Alabama State truly wanted to move there football program to FBS then it could happen. That's all I'm saying.

Dude literally every team on our schedule is a bigger school than us...We have a winning record vs "bigger schools" if you mean tradition power schools with national titles like LSU or Florida then sure.

But jokes aside ASU is in a great location and has great support. I know what you mean about the magic city classic because I have been about 8 times. Could ASU move up into FBS on paper? Yes. Would it work? Probably not because it's an HBCU. I'm black and I love my race dearly but that tag of HBCU will drag state down forever.

And consider where would you go? C-Usa no, Sun Belt- no, SEC- no, ACC- no. There are no other Southern leagues in D1 for it to even possibly happen and I highly doubt Troy University or South Alabama would want another Jacksonville lurking about. Shoot Jacksonville has everything to be a Sun Belt team except a door because 4 non AQ programs in Alabama is way too many. I really don't even like the fact that South is moving up.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - TrojanCampaign - 10-08-2011 01:06 PM

But can we get of this Alabama St vs Troy University hate this is just weird lol. State has it's umm location and we have our proven success at both levels. Just leave it at that because I don't see anyone in the Sun Belt saying Troy winning the conference five straight years was a fluke, or having one of the best baseball programs in the nation is a fluke.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 01:07 PM

(10-08-2011 01:06 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  But can we get of this Alabama St vs Troy University hate this is just weird lol. State has it's umm location and we have our proven success at both levels. Just leave it at that because I don't see anyone in the Sun Belt saying Troy winning the conference five straight years was a fluke, or having one of the best baseball programs in the nation is a fluke.

we are who Bama State WANTS to be. so, they hate on us.

[Image: tumblr_l6v4wsHnay1qd7pj1o1_400.gif]

RE: Alabama State moving up? - BamaState1 - 10-08-2011 01:19 PM

(10-08-2011 12:46 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 12:39 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  If Alabama State truly wanted to move there football program to FBS then it could happen. That's all I'm saying.

No, it couldn't just happen BamaState1. In order to move up to the FBS level you MUST have a Conference to move in to. the Sun Belt would not extend and invitation for several reasons...but if for no other reason, because Troy and South Alabama would block it. There is no other Conference that would even consider your team, so the chance of moving up is nill.

your athletics are good at the level you play at now, but that doesn't mean they would see that success at our level. a QB (a good one at that) who couldn't win the starting job at Troy transfered to Bama State and took the starting job immediately and has been an all-star level competitor in the SWAC. that's because the competition is weaker. don't confuse competition like A&M, Tuskegee, and Jackson State with that of FBS level competition. it's a whole different game.

I don't blame you for being proud of your team, I respect that. But don't come to our board claiming you would be able to come in and be good, because you wouldn't. But, since Bama State won't be moving up, it won't matter what we say here.

Once again u Troy people have your facts messed up. Jenkins has struggled at the QB position. He can't throw the ball at all. The reason the other QB is not starting because he wasn't on the field during the spring and putting him as backup is a way of them punishing him. I know this because I know the guy personally. Also, You do not have to be in a conference to join the FBS. You should know this because Troy joined as an Independent. Why would Troy & South Alabama block the move. Doesn't make sense unless they are scared of Alabama State recruiting the same FBS players. Sun Belt level is not that different. Sun Belt schools play BCS schools and get embarrased. You know that. Don't make the Sun Belt look so much better when it's at the bottom of the FBS. I don't even think Alabama State would move into the Sun Belt anyway. It would be worthless due to that fact. You guys are down there talking about moving to the ACC & Big East and non of those conference are talking about you guys. Troy can't even move up to Conference USA because they won't be able to compete in basketball with those teams and they don't have big enough venues for that type of level. I'm just saying. Troy is building a new basketball arena which is basically the same size as there old arena. Doesn't make sense to waste money like that. I respect YOUR pride you have in Troy too. lol

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 01:29 PM

(10-08-2011 01:19 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  Also, You do not have to be in a conference to join the FBS. You should know this because Troy joined as an Independent. Why would Troy & South Alabama block the move. Doesn't make sense unless they are scared of Alabama State recruiting the same FBS players. Sun Belt level is not that different. Sun Belt schools play BCS schools and get embarrased. You know that. Don't make the Sun Belt look so much better when it's at the bottom of the FBS. I don't even think Alabama State would move into the Sun Belt anyway. It would be worthless due to that fact. You guys are down there talking about moving to the ACC & Big East and non of those conference are talking about you guys. Troy can't even move up to Conference USA because they won't be able to compete in basketball with those teams and they don't have big enough venues for that type of level. I'm just saying. Troy is building a new basketball arena which is basically the same size as there old arena. Doesn't make sense to waste money like that. I respect YOUR pride you have in Troy too. lol

there is so much wrong and inaccurate in this post I don't know where to start. I don't think I even need to respond to it, everyone on here can read for themselves.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. 03-lmfao

RE: Alabama State moving up? - BamaState1 - 10-08-2011 01:37 PM

(10-08-2011 01:29 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 01:19 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  Also, You do not have to be in a conference to join the FBS. You should know this because Troy joined as an Independent. Why would Troy & South Alabama block the move. Doesn't make sense unless they are scared of Alabama State recruiting the same FBS players. Sun Belt level is not that different. Sun Belt schools play BCS schools and get embarrased. You know that. Don't make the Sun Belt look so much better when it's at the bottom of the FBS. I don't even think Alabama State would move into the Sun Belt anyway. It would be worthless due to that fact. You guys are down there talking about moving to the ACC & Big East and non of those conference are talking about you guys. Troy can't even move up to Conference USA because they won't be able to compete in basketball with those teams and they don't have big enough venues for that type of level. I'm just saying. Troy is building a new basketball arena which is basically the same size as there old arena. Doesn't make sense to waste money like that. I respect YOUR pride you have in Troy too. lol

there is so much wrong and inaccurate in this post I don't know where to start. I don't think I even need to respond to it, everyone on here can read for themselves.

No. Prove me wrong then. Tell me where I'm wrong and I will give you the facts of those statements I made. I'm sure you can't do it. NEXT! HAHAHAHA!

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 01:41 PM

(10-08-2011 01:37 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  No. Prove me wrong then. Tell me where I'm wrong and I will give you the facts of those statements I made. I'm sure you can't do it. NEXT! HAHAHAHA!

Since you are the one who posted the nonsense it is not on my shoulders to spend my time researching YOUR mistakes to prove anything. go jump on Google and look up the FBS move-up criteria, the stats comparing the Sun Belt and the SWAC, and the politics behind Conferfence USA expansion and why Troy is not at the top of their list.

I'll wait. 07-coffee3

RE: Alabama State moving up? - rockstar791 - 10-08-2011 01:46 PM

(10-08-2011 01:37 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 01:29 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  

No. Prove me wrong then. Tell me where I'm wrong and I will give you the facts of those statements I made. I'm sure you can't do it. NEXT! HAHAHAHA!

I'll just jump in here I guess and inform you that the rules have long been changed. FCS programs are no longer allowed to move up to FBS without an invite from a conference. You can longer just move up as an independent. Also, the Sun Belt may be at the lower level of FBS, but you have no idea the difference between FBS and FCS. No disrespect intended, but you're horribly ignorant in this area.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - BamaState1 - 10-08-2011 02:23 PM

(10-08-2011 01:41 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 01:37 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  No. Prove me wrong then. Tell me where I'm wrong and I will give you the facts of those statements I made. I'm sure you can't do it. NEXT! HAHAHAHA!

Since you are the one who posted the nonsense it is not on my shoulders to spend my time researching YOUR mistakes to prove anything. go jump on Google and look up the FBS move-up criteria, the stats comparing the Sun Belt and the SWAC, and the politics behind Conferfence USA expansion and why Troy is not at the top of their list.

I'll wait. 07-coffee3

No need for me to do so. I know what I'm talking about. You go and check your fact before you try to insult another school trying to improve and get as good as they possibly can. You come on here and try to disrespect another school but yet you have no facts by what you are saying. You are just talking out of your a**. Have a good day sir and Go Troy :) (not really)

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 02:28 PM

(10-08-2011 02:23 PM)BamaState1 Wrote:  
(10-08-2011 01:41 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  

I'll wait. 07-coffee3

No need for me to do so. I know what I'm talking about. You go and check your fact before you try to insult another school trying to improve and get as good as they possibly can. You come on here and try to disrespect another school but yet you have no facts by what you are saying. You are just talking out of your a**. Have a good day sir and Go Troy :) (not really)

C'mon man, are you for real? So you are going to sit there and say that I don't know what I'm talking about in reference to current FBS move-up policy, the SWAC not being as good as the Sun Belt, and Conference USA not wanting Troy based on location and not facilities (post new arena)?

You should just bow out of this one now my friend, you look dumb. keep in mind I'm not calling you dumb, you're just arguing against facts.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - Burn the Horse - 10-08-2011 02:34 PM

here is a quick bit of information to help enlighten you as to the requirements of moving up from FCS to FBS in this modern day:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=428366

so as you can see, it isn't merely a need to WANT to move up, you must have an invitation from an established FBS Conference before anything can get rolling.

RE: Alabama State moving up? - BlueRaiderFan. - 10-08-2011 02:38 PM

(10-08-2011 02:34 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  here is a quick bit of information to help enlighten you as to the requirements of moving up from FCS to FBS in this modern day:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=428366

Yep, and AState has nowhere to go...