CSNbbs
Alright, maybe Dr. J is right - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: OVCbbs (/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Ohio Valley Team Talk (/forum-784.html)
+----- Forum: Little Rock (/forum-291.html)
+----- Thread: Alright, maybe Dr. J is right (/thread-470392.html)

Alright, maybe Dr. J is right - mjs - 12-17-2010 04:44 PM

We need more scoring. Don't see anyone on the bench other than Matt that can provide this. I guess the question I've always had-does he score more than he gives up? I really don't know the answer to that. That's where an empirical method like the +/- might come in handy. Also, I'm still not sure where you play him.

RE: Alright, maybe Dr. J is right - outsideualr - 12-17-2010 04:52 PM

(12-17-2010 04:44 PM)mjs Wrote:  We need more scoring. Don't see anyone on the bench other than Matt that can provide this. I guess the question I've always had-does he score more than he gives up? I really don't know the answer to that. That's where an empirical method like the +/- might come in handy. Also, I'm still not sure where you play him.

At least you're willing to look at the reality of the situation and give it some thought. If you look at my Chucky vs. Solo post , it might give you the answer you're seeking. I know you have always thought Solo is a terrific player. I think he's a decent player. What would it hurt, except maybe Solo's feelings, to play Matt 25-30 minutes, beginning with the opening tipoff, and alternate Solo between the other guard positions so he'll get his time. That's the only way I can see it working. Does Matt give up more points than he scores? Not when he's playing enough minutes. But you are certainly right about one thing. Matt's probably the only player not playing who can score points in a hurry if given the chance.04-cheers

RE: Alright, maybe Dr. J is right - mjs - 12-17-2010 05:02 PM

(12-17-2010 04:52 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  
(12-17-2010 04:44 PM)mjs Wrote:  We need more scoring. Don't see anyone on the bench other than Matt that can provide this. I guess the question I've always had-does he score more than he gives up? I really don't know the answer to that. That's where an empirical method like the +/- might come in handy. Also, I'm still not sure where you play him.

At least you're willing to look at the reality of the situation and give it some thought. If you look at my Chucky vs. Solo post , it might give you the answer you're seeking. I know you have always thought Solo is a terrific player. I think he's a decent player. What would it hurt, except maybe Solo's feelings, to play Matt 25-30 minutes, beginning with the opening tipoff, and alternate Solo between the other guard positions so he'll get his time. That's the only way I can see it working. Does Matt give up more points than he scores? Not when he's playing enough minutes. But you are certainly right about one thing. Matt's probably the only player not playing who can score points in a hurry if given the chance.04-cheers

One thing I know I don't want is Solo at the point. I think DeAndre has a chance to be a very good point guard for us. But, the point guard needs to play the majority of minutes since he is the glue that holds the team together. He needs to be an unselfish player who looks to pass first. Ideally, I wish we still had Lionel here to play 6 to 8 minutes when DeAndre needed a blow. I don't see Chucky or Solo as "true" point guards.

RE: Alright, maybe Dr. J is right - outsideualr - 12-17-2010 05:10 PM

(12-17-2010 05:02 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-17-2010 04:52 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  

One thing I know I don't want is Solo at the point. I think DeAndre has a chance to be a very good point guard for us. But, the point guard needs to play the majority of minutes since he is the glue that holds the team together. He needs to be an unselfish player who looks to pass first. Ideally, I wish we still had Lionel here to play 6 to 8 minutes when DeAndre needed a blow. I don't see Chucky or Solo as "true" point guards.

In our half court offense, players are coming out to the top of the key all the time. It could be Matt, it could be Chucky, it could be D'Andre.
I heard one so called expert say on TV awhile back that there's really no such thing anymore as a point guard. All the guards play what we call the point at some point during the running of the plays. I don't want Solo at the point either, but you could play Matt 25 minutes or more and still find ways to work the others into the lineup for their minutes. It just takes a little creativity. One thing I have never seen in our offense.03-banghead