CSNbbs
New Coach..... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: New Coach..... (/thread-464849.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

New Coach..... - WMU69 - 11-21-2010 09:31 PM

According to Footballscoop-

Kent State: Head coach Doug Martin has resigned. We are hearing that Ohio State linebackers coach Luke Fickell, Notre Dame wide receivers coach Tony Alford, and UTEP defensive coordinator Andre Patterson will all be interested in the job.

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

RE: New Coach..... - AlphaFlash - 11-21-2010 09:46 PM

I was actually pondering Butch Davis as a replacement.

RE: New Coach..... - bopol - 11-21-2010 09:47 PM

(11-21-2010 09:46 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  I was actually pondering Butch Davis as a replacement.

No, it turns out that Butch isn't allowed in Ohio after coaching the Browns unless the new Republican gov gives him a reprieve.

RE: New Coach..... - KStud - 11-21-2010 10:33 PM

(11-21-2010 09:31 PM)WMU69 Wrote:  According to Footballscoop-

Kent State: Head coach Doug Martin has resigned. We are hearing that Ohio State linebackers coach Luke Fickell, Notre Dame wide receivers coach Tony Alford, and UTEP defensive coordinator Andre Patterson will all be interested in the job.

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Other than his NFL background, not sure anything sticks out about Patterson. Both he and Alford would minority candidates. Alford is originally from Akron and was RB coach for Kent State in '96.

Fickell would be right at the top of the list. If he made it known he was going to leave OSU, though, I would have to think a BCS team would come calling.

RE: New Coach..... - WMU69 - 11-21-2010 10:35 PM

its going to take alot of money to get a big time coach to come to kent. the question is are you guys commited to paying a coach 350K a year plus a coaching salary pook of atleast 800k.

RE: New Coach..... - Flash FreaK 81 - 11-22-2010 06:49 AM

(11-21-2010 10:35 PM)WMU69 Wrote:  its going to take alot of money to get a big time coach to come to kent. the question is are you guys commited to paying a coach 350K a year plus a coaching salary pook of atleast 800k.

I would think they are willing to pay at least 300K per year. If you're our new AD you know all of this will likely happen (just as it did) so why take the job unless you get a committment from the Pres to give you the $$ you need to get the job done?

RE: New Coach..... - FlashFan - 11-22-2010 07:46 AM

(11-21-2010 09:47 PM)bopol Wrote:  
(11-21-2010 09:46 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  I was actually pondering Butch Davis as a replacement.

No, it turns out that Butch isn't allowed in Ohio after coaching the Browns unless the new Republican gov gives him a reprieve.

03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: New Coach..... - FlashFan - 11-22-2010 07:49 AM

(11-21-2010 10:35 PM)WMU69 Wrote:  its going to take alot of money to get a big time coach to come to kent. the question is are you guys commited to paying a coach 350K a year plus a coaching salary pook of atleast 800k.

If the contracts our new AD put out to retain our Man’s Basketball Coach and Baseball Coach are any indication, the answer is yes.

RE: New Coach..... - imradioboy - 11-22-2010 10:06 AM

I had the good fortune of working with Tony Alford's brother, Aaron, at a summer factory job when I was a student, and he was a grad assistant at Kent. If Tony has the same football mind that his brother does, he will be a great hire.

RE: New Coach..... - Kentville - 11-22-2010 04:40 PM

PLEASE no Notre Dame assistants....

RE: New Coach..... - WMU69 - 11-22-2010 10:01 PM

why not? mike haywood is having success at miami ohio....

RE: New Coach..... - KStud - 11-22-2010 10:17 PM

I think that is in reference to the mess Akron has on their hands right now.

RE: New Coach..... - WMU69 - 11-22-2010 11:04 PM

(11-22-2010 10:17 PM)KStud Wrote:  I think that is in reference to the mess Akron has on their hands right now.

Oh. right yeah that doesnt look like a good hire....

RE: New Coach..... - Kent 76 - 11-22-2010 11:12 PM

And Pete Cordelli, KStud. That name still makes me shudder.

RE: New Coach..... - JimJoyce - 11-23-2010 01:33 AM

(11-22-2010 07:49 AM)FlashFan Wrote:  If the contracts our new AD put out to retain our Man’s Basketball Coach and Baseball Coach are any indication, the answer is yes.

Keep in mind Geno's contract was Laing's and our new AD got some major help from an outside donor to gather the coin for Stricklin. It's hard to imagine making a GOOD football hire without the same outside help.

RE: New Coach..... - The Flash - 11-23-2010 07:55 AM

(11-22-2010 11:12 PM)Kent 76 Wrote:  And Pete Cordelli, KStud. That name still makes me shudder.
03-banghead03-puke

RE: New Coach..... - dannyb73 - 11-23-2010 01:10 PM

(11-23-2010 07:55 AM)The Flash Wrote:  
(11-22-2010 11:12 PM)Kent 76 Wrote:  And Pete Cordelli, KStud. That name still makes me shudder.
03-banghead03-puke

Cordelli was the coach when I was an undergrad and although he was awful (if that is even doing it justice) he has turned out to be a pretty good person. He lives in Memphis and he is an acquaintance of mine. I see him 3-4x a year and sometimes we tee it up in the summer. The other thing I will say that a lot of you will remember being from NE Ohio, do you know who was the miserable coach of the Browns about the same time, got fired, and everyone loathed? That is correct, one Bill Belichick. He turned out ok with his second chance. Don't worry, Pete doesn't want one. He is happy being a HS Athletic Director! 04-cheers

RE: New Coach..... - AlphaFlash - 11-23-2010 02:47 PM

(11-23-2010 01:33 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  
(11-22-2010 07:49 AM)FlashFan Wrote:  If the contracts our new AD put out to retain our Man’s Basketball Coach and Baseball Coach are any indication, the answer is yes.

Keep in mind Geno's contract was Laing's and our new AD got some major help from an outside donor to gather the coin for Stricklin. It's hard to imagine making a GOOD football hire without the same outside help.

I think that coin goes back to our contract with Bama. If we can be successful, as far as selling the game, not winning necessicarily, there could be more games with BIG $$$ in front of it.

RE: New Coach..... - bigman99 - 11-26-2010 04:24 AM

Tony Alford is a great young coach but is not ready for this job. I think he is nothing more than that right now. Luke Fickell is an even younger coach who so far has done nothing in his coaching career besides work for a great team. once again just another young coach. Steed Lobotzke is more accomplished than the other two coaches i have mentioned but has never been around a great coach to learn how to run a program, but to his credit he has accomplished alot while being OC at Wake. Chuck Martin is another candidate i would consider about equal with Steed Lobotzke. Nothing special but is not bad. but from what i have read Coach Andre Patterson from UTEP is a great coach. He has took UTEP's defense from last place in the conference to number 2. He coached John Randle who was recently put into the NFL hall of fame. Plus he lived in Cleveland and coached for the Browns, so he knows the area well already and has recruited a player out of Ohio to come play for him at UTEP already showing he has ties here in ohio. He also has some experience being a head coach at Cal Poly, and was named coach of the year in that conference. He is also a coach who has worked for a long time, hes a type of guy that i would be willing to take a risk on to run this program. We are not going to get a big name already established head coach. Patterson however is well respected by many coaches and i think could do great things here. He's experience and has coach under some great coaches, Pete Carrol, Mike Price, and Butch Davis. I say we give him a chance. I see this job going to Patterson or Lobotzke both being the only two candidates who would make sense.

RE: New Coach..... - MAC tOAMU - 11-26-2010 08:53 AM

(11-26-2010 04:24 AM)bigman99 Wrote:  Luke Fickell is an even younger coach who so far has done nothing in his coaching career besides work for a great team. once again just another young coach.

Luke Fickell Named National Assistant Coach of the Year