CSNbbs
I hear coaches say that star ratings don't mean - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: OVCbbs (/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Ohio Valley Team Talk (/forum-784.html)
+----- Forum: Little Rock (/forum-291.html)
+----- Thread: I hear coaches say that star ratings don't mean (/thread-458583.html)

I hear coaches say that star ratings don't mean - outsideualr - 10-21-2010 01:10 PM

anything. Just because Rivals rates a player a four or three star, doesn't really mean he's better than some of our one and two star players we sign. I might buy that argument if we were beating those teams with three and four star players. It might just be that the rating folks do have some idea of the quality of these players. Just a thought.01-lauramac2

RE: I hear coaches say that star ratings don't mean - PTJR - 10-21-2010 01:24 PM

(10-21-2010 01:10 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  anything. Just because Rivals rates a player a four or three star, doesn't really mean he's better than some of our one and two star players we sign. I might buy that argument if we were beating those teams with three and four star players. It might just be that the rating folks do have some idea of the quality of these players. Just a thought.01-lauramac2

Coaching has more to do with it than anything. What Wimp said is very true- "When was the last time you saw a Jacka** win the Kentucky Derby?"- however, even if you have Secretariat in the race, the horse still needs to be trained to get out of the gate and a jockey to guide it around the track and know when to make a move.

The stars you refer to are only somebody's opinion. Some evaluater might be wowed that a kid can jump out of the gym and make great tomahawk dunks, and not notice or care that the kid's basketball IQ is pretty low.

RE: I hear coaches say that star ratings don't mean - MICHAELSPAPPY - 10-21-2010 02:21 PM

They mean something, but they don't mean everything.