CSNbbs
INside The Walls of Troy - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (http://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: INside The Walls of Troy (/thread-442716.html)

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-22-2011 12:31 PM

Troy linebacker a football freak

By Drew Champlin
Published: July 21, 2011

TROYKanorris Davis has always been known for his effort and hard work – sometimes to a fault.

He got some recognition this summer, when he was named to ESPN’s annual college football “freaks” list. Davis, a junior linebacker, has forced five fumbles in two years, jumped over punter Will Goggans (6-foot tall) during a workout. The Youtube video has nearly 20,000 hits.

“It got around campus quick,” Davis said. “I don’t let stuff like that go to my head, because we’re all human and we all have flaws and weaknesses.”

Davis’ on-field play will be highlighted more this year. After being a star on special teams, but after battling injuries (he has missed three games over two years and played through several injuries), he’s slated to become a starting linebacker this fall.

“The job is mine to lose,” Davis said. “I don’t plan on losing it. I’m going to bust my tail and go all out, because I’m a hard worker and I’ve got a great work ethic. I’m going to try to get the team to have the same ethic so we can win as many games as we can.”

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-24-2011 03:53 PM

2011 signing class

UPDATE - I will be on furlough and not able to do work Mon-Fri. However, I have pre-loaded blog posts coming about the 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007 signing classes coming up. We'll find out where these guys are and what their role with Troy's 2011 team will be.

2011 NEWCOMERS
ENROLLED IN JANUARY
*Corey Johnson (WR) - Slated to start at H-WR, could be punt/kick returner
*Andrew Phillips (OL) - Could get in the mix for starting center or guard spot with a strong fall camp
*Cody Woodiel (OL) - Could get in the mix for a starting spot somewhere on the line with a strong fall camp
*Tony Gillespie (DL) - Big defensive tackle should play some
*Brynden Trawick (S) - Slated to start at one safety spot
*Angelo Hadley (S) - Sophomore transfer will be in mix, could even start at other safety spot.

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-25-2011 04:39 PM

2010 Signing Class
**Pre-loaded blog post

Here is the 2010 signing class and what their roles related to the 2011 Troy football team will be

High School
Luke Barnes (QB, Fort Walton Beach, Fla.) - Grayshirted after ACL tear in fall of 2009, competing for No. 3 spot this fall assuming Jamie Hampton is fully healthy
Mike Smith (RB, Tallassee, Ala.) - Did not qualify
B.J. Chitty (WR, Dothan-Northview) - Redshirted in '10, should play a lot this fall
Khary Franklin (WR/ATH, Valdosta, Ga.) - Played sparingly last year, competing for a spot as a kick returner and in the rotation at H-WR
Corey Shelton (WR, Prattville, Ala.) - Did not qualify
Dalton Bennett (OL, Marianna, Fla.) - Grayshirted in '10 after hand surgery, will challenge for a reserve spot this fall, could redshirt

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-26-2011 11:07 AM

Homegrown talent

Published 1:30pm Monday, July 25, 2011

[Image: 7.26.Swindall.jpg]

When Troy lines up for their first offensive play in less than six weeks against Clemson, Zach Swindall will have already achieved a milestone in the Trojan football history books. The senior center will become the first Troy native to start a football game since Julius Pittman in 1991.

Swindall, a Charles Henderson High School graduate, is expected to be Troy’s starting center when the 2011 season opens. Zach says he is anxious and excited to get the opportunity to wear the Cardinal and Black.

“I’m ready to get started,” Swindall said. “ I’m excited about the opportunity.”

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-26-2011 11:24 AM

Troy's 2009 signing class

***This is a pre-loaded blog post since I am on furlough this week. Check dothaneagle.com for a Q and A with Troy punter Will Goggans. If the lockout has ended by now and some Troy rookies get free-agent deals, I'll try to update it over the weekend.

Here is the 2009 signing class. Some of these guys enrolled in time for spring practice that year.

**Jason Bruce, WR, Copiah-Lincoln, Miss., - Came on toward end of junior season, had a very good senior season.
**James Brown, OT, SW Mississippi CC - Headed for senior season and third straight year as Troy's starting left tackle, has an NFL future
**Tyler Graves, OT, Pearl River Mississippi CC - Solid as he started his senior year.
**Ray Carter, OT, Garden City CC - Was in Troy in spring of '09, had a chance to be a good one, but had to leave school for family reasons. He is from Philadelphia, Pa. Not sure what ever happened to him.
**Jay Stansberry, OT, Bremen, Ga. - Was supposed to be a starter in the first game, but I'm not sure he's even played yet because of injuries.
**Cody Jenkins, OT, Beauregard, Ala. - Will be a redshirt sophomore, challenging for a rotation spot.

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-27-2011 01:54 PM

Countdown to Football: 39 Days -- Troy seeking sixth straight championship

Published: Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 7:30 AM
By Tommy Hicks, Press-Register

[Image: 9831198-large.jpg]

TROY, Alabama -- The SEC will seek its sixth consecutive national championship this season. Troy also will be seeking a sixth straight crown in 2011. The Trojans have won or shared each of the past five Sun Belt Conference championships and are considered a strong contender for a sixth consecutive title.

In that five-season span, Troy has a 32-5 record in Sun Belt play. Last season, the Trojans shared the crown with Florida International. In 2009 and 2008, Troy won the title outright. The championship was shared in 2007 with Florida Atlantic and in 2006 with Middle Tennessee.

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-27-2011 01:57 PM

Troy's 2008 signing class

***Preloaded blog post. Let's see where these guys are today.

2008 Troy University Football Signing Class

Mario Addison DE - Redshirt, then a productive player, should be on an NFL roster by now
Chris Anderson RB - Had to go to JUCO for a year, but now a junior and will have a big role at running back this year.
Jimmie Arnold OL - Grayshirt, redshirt, now a sophomore looking to get in OL rotation at guard.
Talris Brown ATH - Did not qualify
Jorrick Calvin DB - Started as a JUCO transfer, ineligible his SR year, still drafted and now with the Philadelphia Eagles
Kanorris Davis LB - Projected as a starter for his junior season
Tony Davis DL - Started some last year, projected as a starting DT this year
DeAndre Dorn DT - Did not qualify
Gavin Ellis WR - Turned into a tight end, battling for time as a sophomore

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-28-2011 07:28 PM

Troy defensive tackle Sidell Corley giving up football

By: Jon Johnson
Published: July 27, 2011

Troy defensive tackle Sidell Corley is giving up football due to medical issues, head coach Larry Blakeney confirmed Wednesday.

Corley, who transferred to Troy from LSU before the 2009 season, was expected to be a key factor in the playing rotation this season as a senior.

As a junior, Corley recorded 13 tackles (9 solos, 4 assists) in nine games for the Trojans.

“He’s a good kid and we like him, but he just needed to give it up and get his degree,” Blakeney said. “During the season and spring ball he struggled with some (medical) issues.”

Corley overcame some health issues before last season and was eventually cleared to play. He had blacked out during a workout and ensuing tests revealed he had a growth near the pituitary gland, which was found to be benign.

After being given the OK to play midway through fall camp, he dealt with a virus that caused dehydration and vomiting, according to a story published in the Dothan Eagle last September.

Blakeney is not allowed to reveal any details of the medical issues that may have prompted the decision for him to give up the sport.

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-29-2011 03:36 PM

Trojans Set to Open 2011 Training Camp
Ricky Hazel
7/29/2011 3:13:00 PM

[Image: rp_primary_xDSC_1037.jpg]

The Troy University Trojans will prepare to open training camp for the 2011 football season on Tuesday when the returning and new members of the squad report to campus.

The Trojans will required to check-in by 11:30 a.m. before having an afternoon of orientation meetings with various members of the athletics department staff, including facilities, equipment, strength, academics, athletic training and compliance.

Wednesday will also be filled with meetings in addition to picture day.

The Trojans will hit the practice field for the first time on Thursday, August 4, with practices scheduled each morning through Friday, August 12, at 8:30 a.m. The team will have two-a-day practices on Tuesday, August 9, and Thursday, August 11, with the second practice session slated for 7 p.m.

The team will hold its first scrimmage on Saturday morning, August 13, at 10:30 a.m. The Trojans' Media Day will follow the scrimmage in the Stadium Club at Veterans Memorial Stadium. This event is open only to members of the media.

RE: INside The Walls of Troy - trojanbrutha - 07-30-2011 09:55 PM

Troy Team Report
Updated: July 29, 2011 12:01 EST

INSIDE SLANT

Troy normally isn't predicted to win the Sun Belt Conference by league coaches, but rest assured, the Trojans are still the team with the biggest targets on their back.

Troy will go for its sixth straight league title, shared or outright, this fall. Only twice, in 2007 and 2009, have the Trojans been picked to win the conference. This year, they are second behind Florida International, who shared the league crown with Troy last year and won the head-to-head.

That's just fine with Troy coaches and players, who welcome the extra motivation but know where they stand among others.