CSNbbs
American Pickers on History Channel - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+------ Forum: Spayed and Neutered (/forum-492.html)
+------ Thread: American Pickers on History Channel (/thread-435361.html)

American Pickers on History Channel - RobertN - 05-16-2010 10:57 PM

I am watching the show right now(ends at 11pm Sunday) and they were in Pennsylvania picking stuff. One guy they went to at the end of the show had a barb wire collection including some "Glidden" barbed wire(even mentioned it). On the walls he also had a "DeKalb" corn sign and at least 2 Sandwich Fair signs. Pretty cool.

RE: American Pickers on History Channel - HuskieDave - 05-17-2010 07:08 AM

(05-16-2010 10:57 PM)RobertN Wrote:  I am watching the show right now(ends at 11pm Sunday) and they were in Pennsylvania picking stuff. One guy they went to at the end of the show had a barb wire collection including some "Glidden" barbed wire(even mentioned it). On the walls he also had a "DeKalb" corn sign and at least 2 Sandwich Fair signs. Pretty cool.

Their business is Antique Archeology and is located in LeClaire, Iowa. Many of the shows have had them "picking" in SW Wisconsin and NW Illinois. I know one of the shows they were in Lena, Illinois.

RE: American Pickers on History Channel - DogTracks - 05-17-2010 09:54 AM

I dig this show- it's way more engaging than I would have expected. The ingrained understanding they have of the antiques/collection business is impressive.

It does make me a little nervous that 40 years from now I'll be like the folks they're buying from- a bunch of stuff that meant something to me at the time I got it or some hobbies I started in on but got distracted from leaving me with a garage full of random stuff no one else wants.

RE: American Pickers on History Channel - Dog Fan - 05-17-2010 10:03 AM

(05-17-2010 09:54 AM)DogTracks Wrote:  I dig this show- it's way more engaging than I would have expected. The ingrained understanding they have of the antiques/collection business is impressive.

It does make me a little nervous that 40 years from now I'll be like the folks they're buying from- a bunch of stuff that meant something to me at the time I got it or some hobbies I started in on but got distracted from leaving me with a garage full of random stuff no one else wants.

That's my life right now.

RE: American Pickers on History Channel - huskiealum03 - 05-17-2010 11:40 AM

fantastic show...a lot of things you can learn about historically-wise on this show.

RE: American Pickers on History Channel - niu79 - 05-17-2010 03:54 PM

On a recent History Channel episode that recounts the history of America, they spent a few minutes recreating Joseph Glidden's invention of barbed wire, and its historical significance. The program discussed how barbed wire changed the American West forever, and made the cowboy obsolete. It was interesting to say the least.

RE: American Pickers on History Channel - RobertN - 05-18-2010 12:38 AM

(05-17-2010 03:54 PM)niu79 Wrote:  On a recent History Channel episode that recounts the history of America, they spent a few minutes recreating Joseph Glidden's invention of barbed wire, and its historical significance. The program discussed how barbed wire changed the American West forever, and made the cowboy obsolete. It was interesting to say the least.
Too bad I missed that. That would have been cool. :) I have only watched parts of them since the first one.